Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Side Auto Mode

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2006, 02:30 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Passenger Side Auto Mode

I need help understanding the passenger side Auto mode button on the climate controls on my 05 Navi TL. Below is the explanation from the manual regarding Dual and Auto.

Dual Button
You can set the temperatures and modes for the driver’s side and the passenger’s side separately when this button is pressed (indicator on). When the indicator in the DUAL button is off, you can adjust both sides to the same temperature and mode with the driver’s side temperature control buttons and mode control button.

To Cool or Heat Automatically
The automatic climate control system adjusts the fan speed and airflow levels to maintain the interior temperature you select.

On models with Navigation System
In the AUTO mode, the vehicle’s interior temperature is independently regulated for the driver and passenger. If the driver’s side of the vehicle is getting too
much sun, the system will adjust to a lower temperature.

Using Automatic Climate Control
1. Press the AUTO button.
2. Set the desired temperature with the temperature control buttons. You will see AUTO in the system’s display.

When the AUTO button on the driver’s side is pressed, the temperature control buttons on the passenger’s side are disabled, and the interior temperature is regulated to the temperature set on the driver’s side. When the AUTObutton on the passenger’s side is pressed, temperature can be set on the driver’s
side and passenger’s side separately.

The system automatically selects the proper mix of conditioned and/or heated air that will, as quickly as possible, raise or lower the interior temperature to your preference.

When you set the temperature to its lower or its upper limit, the system runs at full cooling or heating only. It does not regulate the interior temperature.

The Question Regarding Passenger Auto Button

The only way Auto seems to turn-on is when I press the Driver's side button (Auto shows above the temperature on both driver and passenger settings).

With the Dual button ON, I press recirculation button to deactivate Auto. If I press Auto on the passenger side, nothing seems to happen. No Auto display above the temperatures.

I think I tried turning OFF the Dual and press the passenger Auto button again nothing seems to happen.

So when or how does the passenger Auto button work?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I just went out to the car to check this for you.

On the driver's side, if you hit Auto and then the blue and red arrows, that will control the temperature that the car's cooling/heating system will try to maintain the cabin temperature at.

The passenger can then hit the blue and red arrows on their side to control the temperature on their side of the car. You'll notice the Dual button turn on. Both should still be set as "Auto."

If you turn off the "Dual" mode, then the driver will control both sides again.

I've noticed this because my gf messes with the temperature all the time.
Old 07-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Racer

Thank you datmrman for taking the time and effort to check on this issue.

I guess the owner's manual is not correct in the following statement

When the AUTO button on the driver’s side is pressed, the temperature control buttons on the passenger’s side are disabled, and the interior temperature is regulated to the temperature set on the driver’s side. When the AUTO button on the passenger’s side is pressed, temperature can be set on the driver’s side and passenger’s side separately.
I know this is not true due to I was able to change the passenger's side temperature settings while Auto was being displayed and Dual is ON. This contradicts the owner's manual statement I quoted above.

I think the issue is with the combination of the Dual and Auto buttons. I usually have the Dual ON.

If Dual is ON and you press the Driver's Auto button, you enable the Auto feature and the AUTO is displayed above both temperature settings. Contrary to the owner's manual, the passenger can still change their temperature setting.

With AUTO disabled by hitting recirculation button ON then OFF, if Dual is ON and you press the Passenger's AUTO button nothing seems to happen. However, if you press the Driver's AUTO button, then AUTO is engaged.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:34 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by A_UFO
Thank you datmrman for taking the time and effort to check on this issue.

I guess the owner's manual is not correct in the following statement

I know this is not true due to I was able to change the passenger's side temperature settings while Auto was being displayed and Dual is ON. This contradicts the owner's manual statement I quoted above.

I think the issue is with the combination of the Dual and Auto buttons. I usually have the Dual ON.

If Dual is ON and you press the Driver's Auto button, you enable the Auto feature and the AUTO is displayed above both temperature settings. Contrary to the owner's manual, the passenger can still change their temperature setting.

With AUTO disabled by hitting recirculation button ON then OFF, if Dual is ON and you press the Passenger's AUTO button nothing seems to happen. However, if you press the Driver's AUTO button, then AUTO is engaged.
i noticed this too, the passenger cant turn on the auto feature, but the driver's auto button turns on both sides.

i dont think acura nows how their climate control system works & neither do i, lol.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Ryan Christopher

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Normally my wife will det it on her side. If I have it on and it is set to drivers control, as soon as she hits the up or down arrow on her side, it turns on the dual control. So what they have in the manual is correct. When I am by myself, I leave the dual off. Normally I don't use the AC unless the Wife is with me or now that its been pretty hot out.

Jason
Old 07-24-2006, 06:30 PM
Racer

This morning while waiting at a couple of stop lights, I started playing with the Dual ON and OFF and Passenger settings.

Just as Black_05_TL_6SP said, with Dual OFF, as soon as the passenger hit their up/down temp button, the Dual will automatically turn to ON.

So then I started playing with the passenger Mode button (changing which vents the air comes out; chest, floor, both) then I hit the passenger Auto button and it removed the passenger mode setting. The driver's side was not affected. Although I did not have the driver's side mode set after I took it out of Auto. So I need to try this test to see if the passenager Auto resets the air mode on both sides.

So I think the only thing the Passenger Auto button controls is the mode on the passenger side.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Racer

Arrow The Answer

I finally figured-out the Auto button on passenger side.

With the Dual ON (comes ON whenever the passenger changes their temp or mode), I manually changed the driver's side air mode to vents and floor. Then I set the passenger's air mode to floor.

I press the passenger Auto button and the air mode disappears on the passenger side. The driver's side air mode is still showing both. NOTE: The Auto display above the temperature is not displayed. This appears to be a driver's side only option.

So there you have it. The Auto button on the passenger side merely controls the air mode for the passenger side.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by datmrman
I've noticed this because my gf messes with the temperature all the time.

Yours does that too? Im hot, Im cold, Im hot, Im cold, they cant make up thier friggin minds!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 12:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Nah, mine is not that bad. I can easily adapt to the surrounding temperature, whereas sometimes its too hot (during the day) or too cold (at night) for her. She's the only one that uses the heated seats btw.

A_UFO, thanks for the update. If the "Auto" button controls the air mode for the passenger side, your next goal should be to figure out the purpose of the "Mode" button on the passenger side.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:57 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by datmrman
Nah, mine is not that bad. I can easily adapt to the surrounding temperature, whereas sometimes its too hot (during the day) or too cold (at night) for her. She's the only one that uses the heated seats btw.

A_UFO, thanks for the update. If the "Auto" button controls the air mode for the passenger side, your next goal should be to figure out the purpose of the "Mode" button on the passenger side.
Sorry for the confusion, let me restate my findings.

The Auto button on the passenger side enables the automatic air mode depending on temperature and for Navi TLs the sun's location.

The passenger Mode button allows you to manually set the air mode (vents, floor, both) for the passenger vs. Auto which will automatically select the air mode based on temperature and sun's location.