Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint peeling! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint peeling! Help!!

I ran my TL into a manual car wash today, as I had travelled 4 hours to visit the in-laws, and I had racked up a mess of bugs on the front bumper. While using the pressure wash on the front bumper to get rid of those stubborn bugs, I was taken aback by a sudden swatch of paint which began pulling back from the bumper. I stopped spraying immediately, but a strip about 2" wide, and 4" long had already peeled back! I will be going in to the dealer to inquire about this. I have used such washers on every car I have owned, and have never had anything like this happen before. I searched for similar issues on this site, and saw one somewhat related thread, asking about this issue, but no real answers. Any info anyone can share with me regarding this phenomenon would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Do you have photos? I've heard similar complaints of paint peeling, however, I am yet to see photos from anyone. You'll probally end up having that part of the car repainted for free as the fix.

TheNip
Old 04-25-2004, 11:19 PM
Team Anthracite

probably a lazy or forgetful worker forgot to properly prep the bumper pieces before painting them. thats my guess.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by TheNip73
Do you have photos? I've heard similar complaints of paint peeling, however, I am yet to see photos from anyone. You'll probally end up having that part of the car repainted for free as the fix.

TheNip
I'd be happy to shoot one when I get back in town. I hope (and expect that) they will repaint it, but I just hope they get everything back together right, without damaging anything else.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:25 PM
Instructor

I have a small area (about 1/8") where the metal fender meets the vinyl bumper that is chipped. This area was wrinkled when I got the car and it has now flaked off. I'm going to go over it with touchup to seal it and keep it from spreading. I just hope my touchup matches. Unless it gets worse I don't think it worth hauling into the dealer but this is disappointing for at $35K car. What is it with Acura - did they forget how to paint cars and put headliners in or What??
Old 04-25-2004, 11:34 PM
Safety Car

i agree that the paint should have held up better but why are you using a pressure washer on the car? if you have to remove bugs from the car there are tar and bug removers that will help you do that without the aid of pressure washing.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:48 PM
You touch my tra la la...

You're using a pressure washer? What movie was that where the guy put paint on his already painted car and then pressure washed it off in a parking garage to elude cops? Was it The Saint?
Old 04-25-2004, 11:49 PM
Instructor

I've used a pressure washer for years and never any problems with paint pealing. I was at the dealer the other day and a dealer test car had a few chips, some large, where paint had come off the front bumper. I'm going to clear bra my bumper so this doesn't happen.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:51 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Do you recommend a clear bra on all colors? Heard it was just necessary on darker ones as blemishes are more noticable.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:59 PM
User Registered

Originally Posted by GaleForce
You're using a pressure washer? What movie was that where the guy put paint on his already painted car and then pressure washed it off in a parking garage to elude cops? Was it The Saint?
I think you're referring to "The Jackal" with Bruce Willis and Richard Gere.

I too am disappointed with the paint job on this vehicle. It's the easiest car to scratch and scuff that I've ever owned. It's as if they didn't clearcoat it or something. My Si didn't even scratch this easily.

Hmmm... I wonder... RECALL!!!

We should all petition for a paint recall!
Old 04-26-2004, 12:01 AM
Instructor

I always clear bra the front of my hood but I've never had to clear bra a bumper before. This will be a first due to my concerns with the chipping and pealing on the front bumpers.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:55 AM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by vothsc
I have a small area (about 1/8") where the metal fender meets the vinyl bumper that is chipped. This area was wrinkled when I got the car and it has now flaked off. I'm going to go over it with touchup to seal it and keep it from spreading. I just hope my touchup matches. Unless it gets worse I don't think it worth hauling into the dealer but this is disappointing for at $35K car. What is it with Acura - did they forget how to paint cars and put headliners in or What??
The same thing is happening to mine and several others. Take it in, Acura is aware of the problem and is re-painting/replacing the bumpers. I've heard of dealers replacing the bumper cover after having it painted and then mounting it lower so it will not continue to rub.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:59 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I waxed my car for the first time this weekend and noticed that there are many paint chips from road debris, pebbles, etc. on my 2200 mile old TL. I had my TL-S (pearl white) for over 2 years and 38,000 miles (where it was exposed to TONS of road debris over that amount of time) and NOT ONE chip in the hood or bumper.

Is satin silver that much worse, or is it just the 2004 models?
Old 04-26-2004, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GaleForce
Do you recommend a clear bra on all colors? Heard it was just necessary on darker ones as blemishes are more noticable.
I wondered the same thing until I realized the bumper is the same color under all paint colors; black. So, if you have a silver car, and the paint chips away from the front bumper, you have a black spot. I'm sure it's a different story on the hood, though.
Old 04-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by copter
The same thing is happening to mine and several others. Take it in, Acura is aware of the problem and is re-painting/replacing the bumpers. I've heard of dealers replacing the bumper cover after having it painted and then mounting it lower so it will not continue to rub.
Did you get your's repainted? I'm more concerned with a paint missmatch for the sake of one little flake - if it gets bigger though It's a different story. I have Redundo Red
Old 04-27-2004, 07:35 AM
Advanced

I had a Nissan Maxima and the paint on that was teriible. The paint on the bumpers would peel off so easily. Looks like Acura hired some Nissan painters or is using Nissan paint. The problem was so bad on the Nissans that I must have painted my front and rear bumper at least 3 times.
Old 04-27-2004, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
welcome to the Acura crappy paint job .. they have by far the most fragile paint job that I've ever seen ... the littlest things will scratch/nick/ding these cars ... it is sad
Old 04-27-2004, 08:45 AM
Instructor

Thenip73 asked for pictures. Here's a shot of it, fairly close up. Forgive the bugs, but I had just traveled 350 mile of bug infested country before I shot the picture. To put it in perspective, it's about 1" wide, by maybe 3" deep. Ok, I just realized I have never posted a picture. Can anyone give me a hand, please?
Old 04-27-2004, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Took the TL in over lunch, and they quickly admitted the paint shouldn't peel off like that, and they are having an auto body shop repaint the entire bumper. I must say they take care of their problems very quickly, with no hassle (at least thus far).
Old 04-27-2004, 01:27 PM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by vothsc
Did you get your's repainted? I'm more concerned with a paint missmatch for the sake of one little flake - if it gets bigger though It's a different story. I have Redundo Red
Mine heads for the dealer in the AM. I have a Clear-Bra on it so I wonder what they are going to try to do to fix it..
Old 04-27-2004, 07:19 PM
Intermediate

My bumper paint experience

I had a small chip from the bumper rubbing too tightly against the front quarterpanel. Dealer agreed to rehang and repaint the bumper (while I experienced the big difference between the TL and a loaner TSX). Body shop said they had difficulty with the new paint adhering to the old bumper shell (bad prep at the factory?), and suggested a new shell rather than rework the old one again. Dealer replaced the bumper with a new one and it was repainted. So far it looks great - hoping the comment I saw regarding factory paint (new water-based type) vs body shop paint (old type) is true - and the paint applied by the body shop will hold up better against the flying debris.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Zaino under fingernails

kilrb,

I have had a bumper repainted on two Hondas before - both came out flawless. You'll be back in business in no time.