Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

paint finish on delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 09:27 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy paint finish on delivery

i took delivery of my npb navi 3-12-04 . brought it home and parked it in the garage then went and watched the fighting illini. came home to start the zaino process. i used 2-500 watt halogens so i could see better. i use these when i paint interior walls in my house so i dont miss areas. to my shock there were 5-6 " diameter circles in about 10 different places, scratches everywhere as well as etchings in the clearcoat from a dirty rag or chaomis. there also was a paint flaw on the hood that looked like a womans nipple the size of a half dollar. they came and took the car. they finally decided to get me a new car. they said that 90-95 % of the people wouldnt see these marks. i dont think so ! said swirls were fom plastic wrap flapping! my brother-in-law has 2003 black silverado washes it every week there are no etchings in the paint . anyone else had any problems with paint? i didnt think i was being anal !
Old 03-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Banned

i don't thinm you are being anal. Anything thaty can't be buffed out is clearly a paint flaw, and if it could have been buffed they would have tried that before a new car. A new car should have flawless paint on delivery. Inform on how your new one turns out, check it before you leave.
Old 03-22-2004, 10:51 PM
Safety Car

my paint was flawless on delivery i got the car in bright daylight and squated and tilted my head in every angle to make sure there were no swirl marks on the car. the marks were probably made during the prepping process by some careless detailer. the paint flaw must have came from the factory. don't feel anal, you paid good money for a brand new car that was suppose to have high quality fit and finish.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:22 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Phil,

You did the right thing, don't think twice about it.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

ehhh...maybe a little overboard but i do agree that the car should be to your liking and if you're not satisfied they should do what they can, within reason, to make you happy.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:39 PM
Instructor

Yeah, I was waxing mine this weekend (I'll have had it two weeks on Wed) and noticed what appears to be a run in the paint at the top edge of the bumper were it comes up under the right headlight. I have to take it in tomorrow morning to have my wheels and lojack put in, so I'll point it out to them then and see what they say.
Old 03-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Team Nighthawk-C.M.A.

man... what nipples have you been around? I OOnly get get it in the eye now and then.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I think you did the right thing too. You paid over $30K for this car - it should be to your liking.

When I bought my last car (BMW 330i), I took 2 high powered lights and a large magnifying glass with me to the dealer when I was supposed to pick it up. While I was inspecting all of the exterior trim and paint, I managed to work up a rather large audience of sales reps and service reps who thought I was nuts. I noticed 3-4 really bad (in my opinion) paint flaws, so I didn't accept the car.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by wstevens
I think you did the right thing too. You paid over $30K for this car - it should be to your liking.

When I bought my last car (BMW 330i), I took 2 high powered lights and a large magnifying glass with me to the dealer when I was supposed to pick it up. While I was inspecting all of the exterior trim and paint, I managed to work up a rather large audience of sales reps and service reps who thought I was nuts. I noticed 3-4 really bad (in my opinion) paint flaws, so I didn't accept the car.
For some reason, I'm envisioning the lead investigator from CSI - Las Vegas pulling out some huge as* lights and all sorts of crime scene sprays and microscopes and magnifying glasses and totalling going over the car and having all the samples "processed".

I don't think I've ever heard of someone bringing in their own lights and a magnifying glass before...that's a new one on me. You my friend might need to audition for the sequel to As Good As It Gets.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:06 PM
8th Gear

Have had my NBP for 5 days now and noticed very similar issues. There were about 5-6 swirl spots on the hood, bumpers, etc that I attribute to the dealer "prep". Not a good way to deliver a car, but then again, I wasn't about to give it back to them to fix. The other spots I noticed were 2 different areas where there are silver "drips". Almost as if the spray gun in the initial painting, spit out extra pearl flakes. Can't be buffed out, but not noticable enough to even try. I spent about 10 hours on Sat. getting rid of scratches and swirls from delivery and then waxing it up good. Didn't use Zaino, but Griots Garage which offers many of the same steps. I do think I'll be purchasing Zaino shortly though. After 3 days on the road, I do have 3 noticable rock chips already. Have appt. on Saturday to get clear bra installed, so crossing my fingers to make it through the week.
Has anyone else noticed paint chipping at points where body panels meet. I have one starting at the front bumper/DS wheel well. Not sure how it'll spread if its from body panels rubbing/vibrating.