Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are other drivers Jealous?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are other drivers Jealous?

I'm finding more idiots taking on what appears to be a jealous revenge towards my NBP TL. Here are some examples.

1. Went to the Magic mountain with my kids. I found my driver rear view mirror pushed forward when I returned. Could be that some one just accidently bumped, but I did park at the end parking space.
2. Found a beer bottle tucked under the right front tire at the local golf course. Looks purposeful the way it was tucked under my front tire. If I hadn't seen it, that would have been expensive.
3. I have had people park very close to me on several occasions. Why is this an issue? Because I alway park my car very far from the stores I visit and always make sure that there are several empty parking spaces around me. It is as though these people have purposefully parked right next to me with their POS, even if they have to endure the hike to the store.

Granted, if these people really wanted to damage the car, they would have done it. I have not been keyed yet and I do stay away from places where teens hang out, but I can't watch the car all the time. Am I just paranoid or are there idiots out there wanting to ruin other people's property just because they don't or can't have it. This is my first high profile car so I may just be overly protective of my TL. Anyone with similar experience?
Old 07-05-2004, 04:12 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No you are not paranoid. I've experienced the same thing with my NBP. Even if I parked at the very end with 5 parking spots on my left, people still park next to me. I think there are some kind of drivers who need some referance while parking straight. If there are no other cars, they park diagonally in the parking spot. Hence, if there is a car parked they have a better shot at parking straight.

About the mirrors bending outward, if I'm parking for long time I usually fold my mirrors in all the way.
Old 07-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You are overly protective of your TL ... There are just idiots out there pure and simple, and you feel (wrongly) that your TL is exclusively targeted. It is not.

The TL is a nice car, but it's no BMW or Benz.
Old 07-05-2004, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're not paranoid.

I've been stalking you.
Old 07-05-2004, 09:32 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I usually take 2 parking spaces far away from the store's entrance - I have noticed younger idiots revving their motors beside me - only have 400 miles on the TL or I'd blow 'em away -
Old 07-05-2004, 09:46 PM
Banned

yes, other drivers are extremely jealous of the TL.

Old 07-05-2004, 10:13 PM
VTEC HoooA

I have had my nbp for 3 days now, and I will have to say that people do act differently towards this car! They are always playing catch up in traffic to get a look, or flat out try to race. The TL is a nice car, one that alot of people cannot afford so to a degree this is to be expected. Just remember the golden rule.....if they want it bad enough they will get it PERIOD (learned that lesson awhile ago when I had one of my previous cars lifted).

Just go about your business as usual and you will sleep better at night. Do not sacrifice your well being for a car, it just isn't worth it!!!

To all those who are purposely parking close, planting bottles, or are just plain jackazzez :nutkick:
Old 07-05-2004, 11:11 PM
Racer

There are soooo many stoopid people in this world! I've removed a few beer bottles from behind strangers' tyres before. The parking lot one is common for me, although I don't have a TL right now.

When I drive my husband's 3/4 ton Ram truck, I park waaaay away from everyone because I'm concerned about crowding it inbetween other cars (it's big!). I'd rather walk further in 105 degrees than risk tapping or dinging someone else (or being tapped/dinged). Invariably, when I get back, there's someone parked beside me. Maybe they think "Hey, that person cares for their car, so they won't ding mine if I park beside them".

2 weeks after I picked up my brand new 2000TL, I went to Sams Club. The lot was FULL of abandoned carts. I parked in no-mans-land, away from everyone and down-slope from the carts. Off I went. Came back 30 mins later to find my rear bumper gouged in 7 parallel 2-inch-long lines and one of the side clips had popped. All the carts were gone. I know to this day that it was the guys who collect the carts and return them to the store, but I couldn't prove it. All the outside cameras point at the store. Cost me $350 cash to get it fixed.

Back in the UK, we lived near a town center where there were a lot of bars. EVery weekend, someone tried to pull off the wing mirror on my 1984 Accord (it was 10 years old at the time). All he was ever able to do was turn it backwards - which was no mean feat. That thing was a bugger to get back again. It went on for weeks - I don't think the guy was very bright, but he was persistant!

Just remember, someone else's POS might be the only car they can afford right now :/
Old 07-05-2004, 11:13 PM
Racer

Ooops - I meant UPSLOPE! I'm not THAT dumb!
Old 07-05-2004, 11:20 PM
Instructor

[/QUOTE]The TL is a nice car, but it's no BMW or Benz.[/QUOTE]

Thank God!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 02:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Tedanddenise
I usually take 2 parking spaces far away from the store's entrance - I have noticed younger idiots revving their motors beside me - only have 400 miles on the TL or I'd blow 'em away -

I went from a VW Passat to a 04TL. I am now routinely challanged at stop lights, usually by higher end cars. I never race anyone, but certainly chuckle as I smoothly pull away.
Old 07-06-2004, 04:36 AM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
People want to race me all the time. Especially the IS300 and G35 crowd. I've pretty much won all the races except these two times where I lost to a IS300 because a car out of no where pulled in front of me on the freeway and another time to a G35 because he got a headstart (my fault). In any case, I get glares and wows and ahhs from people my age as well as older people. I like praises more when it is from people who drive MUCH more expensive cars.