Sponsored by:

Order clear bra online?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 04:23 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Order clear bra online?

Hello Again - Yet another question from the Newbie

Would like to order the 3M clear bra online - the actual bra itself, from some place online - to try and save on the project. I would have it professionally installed, but figured it would be cheaper to get the bra online, then have it installed locally.

I'm looking for the top 1/4 of the hood and front bumper.. Kinda rocky up here in Maine in the winter :-/ Buggy in the Summer .. :-/

Any suggestions?

THanks!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our dealer ordered and installed the clear bra before we even picked it up, try going to yours and asking for it. I believe it was 679 installed, more than what we got for the ford taurus. I know what you mean by buggy, we recently went rafting and I had to get rid of at least 100 bugs.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:44 PM
Advanced

Yeah, my dealer is in Boston, MA - I'm 4 hours north now - no going back unless there's a problem...

Thus, I am trying to do this locally. Great shop with good reputation locally - but figured I'd save money on ordering the bra itself, online...

Any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:25 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by randoum
Hello Again - Yet another question from the Newbie

Would like to order the 3M clear bra online - the actual bra itself, from some place online - to try and save on the project. I would have it professionally installed, but figured it would be cheaper to get the bra online, then have it installed locally.

I'm looking for the top 1/4 of the hood and front bumper.. Kinda rocky up here in Maine in the winter :-/ Buggy in the Summer .. :-/

Any suggestions?

THanks!
So you are bringing your steak to the restaurant and hope the chef will cook it?

This is just an analogy.

But just imagine this for an instant:

If something goes wrong with the install, who will be forking the bill?

Also, get the whole hood covered not just 1/4 of it.

Find a local installer in your area and get a quote for the whole job and then ask them if they would install the film if you supply it?

You might find out the the saving is not worth the risk and problems.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-28-2005, 09:47 PM
I slow down for COPS

Exactly.

For instance, I have the equipment to cut all bras on the spot. If someone brings me a kit, it will usually cost them more for the whole thing (buy the kit elsewhere and pay for the install) then if they will buy everything from me. And they are responsible for fittment and everything. Not all kits have been created equal, some fit better then others. If they get the bra and install from me and something goes wrong (which it does not) there is only one person to blame and one person to go to complain.

If anyone thinks that they can buy the bra cheaper then I can as a professional installer who goes through 1000's of feet of material they are crazy. My cost on the bra is much cheaper then any retail customer's. It may not be the case with every installer, but installers who specialize in bras and deal with them in mass quantaties will tell you the same.

If, on the other hand, you want to have it installed by some guy who does not have the equipment and puts couple of them a month, save your money and deal with rock chips, because the quality of the install will not be very high, therefore, you will be wasting your money on the bra all together.

My and good luck staying rock chip free.

Originally Posted by frenchnew
So you are bringing your steak to the restaurant and hope the chef will cook it?

This is just an analogy.

But just imagine this for an instant:

If something goes wrong with the install, who will be forking the bill?

Also, get the whole hood covered not just 1/4 of it.

Find a local installer in your area and get a quote for the whole job and then ask them if they would install the film if you supply it?

You might find out the the saving is not worth the risk and problems.

Best regards

frenchnew
Old 08-29-2005, 10:02 AM
Safety Car

randoum, this isn't meant as an insult or to offend you. I don't know what your financial situation is, but you have a 35K car and another $600/700 to get PPF professionally installed is a no brainer and well worth it. This link is from the 3M site and may help you or not, Find a Pro Installer.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Instructor

I'm getting quotes in the $900 range. This includes hood, fenders, front bumper, side mirrors, door edges, and top surface of rear bumper. The installer is also including the headlights. Am I getting ripped off?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:13 PM
I slow down for COPS

Originally Posted by hcekc
I'm getting quotes in the $900 range. This includes hood, fenders, front bumper, side mirrors, door edges, and top surface of rear bumper. The installer is also including the headlights. Am I getting ripped off?
Couple of things that will make a difference:
1) your location. Prices vary by where you are
2) how much of the hood are they covering
3) are they covering the entire bumper or just the front face and not the sides
4) the material they use for the headlights (8 mil or 14 mil urethane or PVC)
Old 08-30-2005, 02:17 PM
Safety Car

My nephew who used to work for a local BMW dealer told me that was what they quoted for their cars. IMO, that's a bit high considering all the quotes on the forum. There were 5 of us who worked a deal with Invisiguard and have the same config installed. The coverage on the hood goes up about 20". Use the link in the above post, type in your city and state and find an installer that's close to you. You can also google clearbra or paint protection film and see what's available with one of the 3rd party resellers. One more option would be to ask your dealer.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
My nephew who used to work for a local BMW dealer told me that was what they quoted for their cars. IMO, that's a bit high considering all the quotes on the forum. There were 5 of us who worked a deal with Invisiguard and have the same config installed. The coverage on the hood goes up about 20". Use the link in the above post, type in your city and state and find an installer that's close to you. You can also google clearbra or paint protection film and see what's available with one of the 3rd party resellers. One more option would be to ask your dealer.
I used the 3M link and got the three quotes. One guy quoted $850 but required 2 days in his shop. His brochure was also at the Acura dealer, so I'm assuming he's giving me a better quote than Acura would after Acura's "commision". Another "kid" quoted me $750 and said he'll come by after hours (6:30pm) and will be done in 1.5 to 2 hours. Another installer quoted $890, but I got him down to $850. He's the owner and the installer and claims that he just did a job on Jerry Seinfeld's Porche (959???). Don't know why Jerry would ship his Porche to the west coast?!?!

I passed on the $750 quote. I think the kid is doing it as a side job, without his boss knowing. I should call his boss to confirm it though. I'm going with the Seinfeld installer. He'll do the job with his helper in about 4 to 5 hours. I rather have someone take their time, but certainly not 2 days worth.

Thanks for the help!
Old 09-02-2005, 09:58 PM
Instructor

I used the 3M link and got the three quotes. One guy quoted $850 but required 2 days in his shop. His brochure was also at the Acura dealer, so I'm assuming he's giving me a better quote than Acura would after Acura's "commision". Another "kid" quoted me $750 and said he'll come by after hours (6:30pm) and will be done in 1.5 to 2 hours. Another installer quoted $890, but I got him down to $850. He's the owner and the installer and claims that he just did a job on Jerry Seinfeld's Porche (959???). Don't know why Jerry would ship his Porche to the west coast?!?!

I passed on the $750 quote. I think the kid is doing it as a side job, without his boss knowing. I should call his boss to confirm it though. I'm going with the Seinfeld installer. He'll do the job with his helper in about 4 to 5 hours. I rather have someone take their time, but certainly not 2 days worth.

Thanks for the help!
Just got my wife's 2005 WDP TL done today. We had the hood (20" deep), fenders, mirrors (each mirror was a 2 piece set), 4 door edge trims, top of the rear bumper, the area of the trunk lid right below the license plate, headlights, and the brushed metal portion of the hood (right above the Acura emblem).

As stated on 8/31, I went with the $850 quote. The company is run by 2 brothers, 1 in the Bay Area (CA) and the other brother in the Central Valley area. They both came out to do our car. The only precuts were the mirrors, headlights, fenders, and full bumper (I do not have A-Spec kit). The hood piece was from a full sheet that they trimed after getting all the air pockets out and then tucked under the hood. They guy was nice enough to do the brushed metal piece of the hood and the area of the trunk below the license plate. This was not supposed to be included in the $850, but he threw them in.

This job took 2 people about 5 hours and it was hot today in South San Jose. I couldn't see doing this myself nor that kid that said he and his partner could do it in 1.5 to 2 hours.

Did I get ripped off? Maybe a little, but I'm very happy. He did show me a couple of pictures of Jerry Seinfeld Porche 959 that he had in his Sony digital camera, so I believe that he worked on his car. Only time will tell how well it stays on and how well it does its job.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Safety Car

hcekc, if I knew you were from San Jose I would have referred you to Invisiguard. He has done a bunch of TLs for Acurazine members in the Bay Area and has given us very good service as well as installation prices for the same config with the exception of the grill area. As long as you're happy with the product and the service, all is good.