Ok so I switched to 2007 Type S Friction Modified MTF and...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006 | 04:24 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Ok so I switched to 2007 Type S Friction Modified MTF and...

Ok guys - so after complaining to my dealer numerous times (Smithtown aka Shittown Acura) here in Long Island, I told them to switch my MTF to the Acura 07 Friction Modified MTF and it made quite a difference...shifting is so much smoother, its like night and afternoon difference...I'm not going to say night and day because I notice that I'll still get some "vibration" shifting into 3rd from 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd I also notice that it still doesn't go all the way in and I have to shift to neutral and then a bit Harder into 3rd...but overall a sizable difference...transmission definitely shifts smoother though. It's not "as hard" shifting back into first, still takes some effort when I'm moving to shift from 2nd to first as I'm anticipating coming to a full stop...If I'm stopped then shifting into first is cake but when I'm moving its still a bit harder, not as hard as before so this type s fluid did make a bit of a difference

I guess I'll have to switch to the GM stuff - figured I"d give this a try before I have to "pay" for fluid...

I've had the 07type s fliud in my car for about 2 weeks now, 13,000 miles on the car...

just figured I'd share my experience with you guys...
Old 11-04-2006 | 05:32 PM
Safety Car

Is it the the new fluid P/N 08798-9031A (Acura Precision Crafted MTF)?
Old 11-05-2006 | 06:50 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

I'm not sure if that's what its called - its the stuff everyone on the forum has been talking about...its the new friction modified MTF that comes with the 07TL-S 6mt
Old 11-05-2006 | 07:31 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by gauravp123
I'm not going to say night and day because I notice that I'll still get some "vibration" shifting into 3rd from 2nd and sometimes from 2nd to 3rd I also notice that it still doesn't go all the way in and I have to shift to neutral and then a bit Harder into 3rd
You shouldn't have to be doing this.. something is not right. Either you have done some damage or there is something wrong with your shifter, linkage, or transmission. Are you certain you are completely disengaging the clutch before attempting the shift? This is not right.

I drained my factory fill from my manual tranny a year ago last spring at around 15000 miles on my '04. The transmission never had any problems of any kind with any of the seven gears before or after my refill with the GM SMFM. You should not have to force your transmission into gear.. it should slide in very smoothly and almost effortlessly.
Old 11-06-2006 | 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

My 06 TL has a little over 600 miles and my 3rd gear is noticeable harder to engage. I called the service dept at my dealership and told that I read in the service bulletin about the new MTF for all 2007 manual Honda/Acura cars and asked if I could have it in my car as well. The service guy was really excited that I mentioned the service bulletins and he said that he likes to work with people who are aware of things like TBS and service bulletins and he promptly scheduled me for tomorrow afternoon per my request. I am also going to have them put some felt on the right side pocket door since it makes noise which goes away when I open it just a bit so I figure a felt would take care of it. We will see.
Old 11-06-2006 | 12:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by gauravp123
It's not "as hard" shifting back into first, still takes some effort when I'm moving to shift from 2nd to first as I'm anticipating coming to a full stop...If I'm stopped then shifting into first is cake but when I'm moving its still a bit harder, not as hard as before so this type s fluid did make a bit of a difference
IMHO you should never shift into 1st gear unless you are at a complete stop.

No experience with an acura but on previous cars I've been told that can damage the linkage and cause the problems you are having -- eventually leading to a larger failure.

You should be able to take off in 2nd gear if the car is rolling (even ever so slightly) because there is no inertia to overcome. You already have momentum in your favor.

You need 1st gear for taking off only if at a complete rest and even then you can take off in second with minimal clutch wear.

If you must shift into 1st gear, then it means to smoothly do it you will have to rev the engine.
Old 11-06-2006 | 07:11 PM
Racer

You should baby the tranny just like you baby the engine for the first few thousand miles. If you need more than two fingers to shift the lever, you are forcing it too fast. I do not recommend forcing the gears unless you really need it, otherwise you are rapidly wearing the syncros and dogs.

I have owned manual tranny cars exclusively for 30 years and have never repaired tranny damage (or replaced a clutch) that I caused. I've replaced tranny parts and clutches in newly purchased used cars, so I know what a pain it is.
Old 11-06-2006 | 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jdb8805
IMHO you should never shift into 1st gear unless you are at a complete stop.

No experience with an acura but on previous cars I've been told that can damage the linkage and cause the problems you are having -- eventually leading to a larger failure.

You should be able to take off in 2nd gear if the car is rolling (even ever so slightly) because there is no inertia to overcome. You already have momentum in your favor.

You need 1st gear for taking off only if at a complete rest and even then you can take off in second with minimal clutch wear.

If you must shift into 1st gear, then it means to smoothly do it you will have to rev the engine.
You can safely shift into first gear when the car is in motion (slow) as long as you rev-match and double clutch. This allows the drive and driven gears to match their speed for the first gear shift while also equalizing synchonizer speed.

I would STRONGLY recommend never starting off in second gear. Contrary to published and advertised statements about the TL having a close-ratio transmission, this is not the case. The ratio spread between first and second gear is quite wide and starting off in second gear will significantly increase clutch wear over a normal first gear start.

A good rule of thumb is if vehicle speed is above 5 MPH and you are on a level piece of road and you do not need to accelerate quickly, you can use second gear since that's roughly about the lowest speed you would be traveling at idle in that gear. Otherwise, use first gear.

"If you must shift into 1st gear, then it means to smoothly do it you will have to rev the engine". Yes, but add along with this you should engage the clutch and blip the throttle while passing through the neutral gate on your way to first gear. Then when the clutch comes out for final engagement, the transition should be smooth and seemless.
Old 11-07-2006 | 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

I just drove back my 06 6MT with the new MTF in it and I can say I feel a significant difference. My trip was only 2-3 miles and I have not done much shifting, but shifting and transmission feels improved.
Tomorrow morning it is going to be a better test since the shifting is the roughest when cold, so I will update everyone on this.

BTW – I did not have to fight anyone at the dealership etc, just politely asked them to flush the old one and put the new MTF and they did it free of charge.