Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Use First 6000mi.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Use First 6000mi.

How much is considered acceptable oil use for the 3.2 in the first 6000 miles? Break in will probably use more and the break in fluid should be consumed a bit, but how much.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MSO4Matt
How much is considered acceptable oil use for the 3.2 in the first 6000 miles? Break in will probably use more and the break in fluid should be consumed a bit, but how much.
I opted to swap mine at 500, 3000 and 7500 miles. I used Chevron 5-30 on the first two changes because of its molybdenum content (believed to be the reason they recommend keeping the stock Honda oil in until 6000mi). The main reason I swapped at 500 miles, when the engine is considered broken in is to flush the wear metals out. When I pulled that first change of oil, it looked like metallic paint! I personally dont feel good about having all that floating in my engine for another 5500 miles.

All swaps from 7500 miles onward are going to be Castrol Syntec (green) 0-30. Its no longer for sale, but I socked up on 150 quarts of it when it was discontinued.

Sorry to get so far off topic on you.. I think the answer to your question though is that the engine will consume some of the oil on break-in above normal but it will be very negligable. Most of it would be used by extra blow-by that would get past the rings into the combustion chamber while the rings are seating. However the volume of the pan might also be somewhat offset by fuel comming in the opposite direction so it would be hard to guage exactly how much. In any case, you dont have to worry about the volume of the oil getting low on the first change if you pull it before 6k miles.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can tell you that it is in the best interests of your engine to leave the intitial oil in the car for as long as you can stand it. Well...within reason. That oil has specific break in additives and is designed specifically for the engine. My family owned a dealership for over 20 years. The only vehicles we had oil consumption issues with were the ones who changed the factory oil fill too soon. If it was left in for 5000 miles, the engines never used oil. Again, it's a special blend of oil that you cannot buy. I've tried. They won't sell it. I build a lot of engines and I would love to get my hands on some.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

OK I have an oil level just below the add mark on the dipstick after 6K, if anybody has a 3.2 and checked this let me know how much oil you used.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
I can tell you that it is in the best interests of your engine to leave the intitial oil in the car for as long as you can stand it. Well...within reason. That oil has specific break in additives and is designed specifically for the engine. My family owned a dealership for over 20 years. The only vehicles we had oil consumption issues with were the ones who changed the factory oil fill too soon. If it was left in for 5000 miles, the engines never used oil. Again, it's a special blend of oil that you cannot buy. I've tried. They won't sell it.

" I build a lot of engines and I would love to get my hands on some".
drain it out of the new ones (at the dealer) and replace it with the oil you would use for a change.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Intermediate

This may be obvious to many, but if it looks like the engine is consuming oil it may just be that you didn't wait long enough to check it...

When I first checked my oil after taking delivery of my 05 TL, the dip stick was showing it at least a liter (quart, I'm in Canada) low, if not 1.5 -- I called the dealership right quick only to find out it's normal -- reason is I checked the oil within a couple of minutes of turning the engine off. There are so many vorticies in the block of the car that it takes a long time for the oil to fall back down to the pan. The dealership told me that you need to wait at least 10 minutes, if not up to 20 mins, to let gravity get all the oil to where you can get an accurate idea of levels after turning off a warm engine. Obviously make sure the car is on level ground as well.

They advised the most accurate is to check the engine when completely cold -- apparently they get at least 2 cars a month with over-filled oil due to this. I also found out the sales guy was supposed to speak to this during the delivery/inspection process, which he didn't. The one thing he did mention that day was to say "I've not seen *one* of these engines consume *any* oil, if it does, call me"...
Old 01-05-2007, 09:46 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MSO4Matt

Big picture here is some burn more than others initially.. Sure it can be an indication of possible issues, but many times a new engine that burned a quart in the first oil change burned significantly less on the second and so on...

If I remember right my 04 burned = to or less than a quarter of a quart during the first 4500 miles. My average oil change frequency since the first oil change remains at about 4800 miles. I have 25K on her now and it barely comes off the full mark during the 4800 mile change intervals. I'm not a real aggressive driver with the right foot yet 90% of my driving is 70+ mph..

I would say anything under a quart in 6000 miles/initial fill is reasonable for this engine. One must remember, burning oil is normal, not a ton but the engine must use oil in the process of proper lubrication to rings, pistons, and valve guides etc..