Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:39 PM
05 AM 6sp w/ Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil question?

So I was told today that I shouldnt switch to a synthetic Oil w/ only 3000 miles on my TL. "Synthetic goes in and takes up the slack and you dont have enough slack to take up" was the reason. I just nodded my head and was like ok not really giving the comment much merit based on the simplicity of the explination.... But I do like to explore things before I make my own decision. Has anyone ever heard of this type of comment regarding Synthetics? Can anyone elaborate on what they may have been eluding to?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Meaningless statement.

The statement you were given is totally meaningless.

About the only thing I've ever heard regarding the use of a synthetic is that it shouldn't be used before the engine is completely broken in. It can retard the seating of the rings and so forth from what I've been told. I don't know if there's any validity to that or not. I'd imagine one or more of knowledgable folks here can comment on that.

Otherwise, synthetic oil does the same thing as any conventional oil - provides a fluid film between two surfaces to minimize friction and wear.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Safety Car

some cars come straigt from the factory with synthetic in the engine. i was told something similar and went ahead and used regular oil on the first oil change. i still really don't see the problem using it on the first oil change. i switched to synthetic on next oil change which for me was at ~7500.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kosh2258
The statement you were given is totally meaningless.

About the only thing I've ever heard regarding the use of a synthetic is that it shouldn't be used before the engine is completely broken in. It can retard the seating of the rings and so forth from what I've been told. I don't know if there's any validity to that or not. I'd imagine one or more of knowledgable folks here can comment on that.

Otherwise, synthetic oil does the same thing as any conventional oil - provides a fluid film between two surfaces to minimize friction and wear.
The only other two things I've heard beyond what you say above are (1) that caution is needed in using the "high-mileage" synthetics (because they may cause the seals to swell too much), but presumably nobody here is in a position to use such oil yet, and (2) synthetics are not recommended in rotary engines because they do not burn off easily but the rotary is supposed to burn some oil; since the TL is not a rotary that doesn't matter here either.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Pro

I've switched as early as 600 miles and generally put over 120k on my cars. As mentioned, some cars come from the factory with Mobil1. Now perhaps the ring clearances are different to account for this but I doubt it is harmful.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:41 PM
05 AM 6sp w/ Navi

So if anything, that statement was in regards to possibly stressing the seals. I'm at 3500 miles now in just a lil over a month. I did my first change at 600mi and ran some havoline up to now. I am ready to switch to M1 @ 6000 - 7000 mi drains and also change my tranny fluid to GMS FM. Thx for the input everyone.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all engines are the same.
The ones that come with synthetic oil from the factory may have a
coating on the parts that aids in break in.
Other engines dont, and may have special oil to aid break in.

Acura says NOT to change the oil early, I dont know why, but people who
get their oil analized say it has lots of some stuff in it, the stuff thats in
engine assembly oil, molly or some such....

From what i read here (from the oil experts), there is no reason to run
synthetic oil unless you want to go to extended drain intervals.
You need to use a good filter to do that, but you can.
They also seem to say the havoline (dino) oil is close to the factory fill
oil as far as what additives it has in it.

I think I am going to change the oil every 5000 miles and use the havoline
oil and a mobil one filter.
I think 5000 mile changes should be fine, we dont really drive
the car very hard.

Brett
Old 08-07-2005, 12:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Brett,
No special coating on those engines. We had a GM engineer on BITOG that discussed this with us.

Synthetic breaks in fine, but you MAY experience some higher consumption before the rings seat. (than dino)

There is no problem in running syns as early as 1K, I just feel that is complete overkill to run any syn when the engine has <10K since you can't do ext. drains.

Michael
Old 08-07-2005, 03:11 PM
Racer

Oil seal swelling due to synthetics is a thing of the past. Newer cars have an updated rubber compound in the seals that can handle normal synthetics.

An ex-Honda engineer told me our engines have a moly break-in coating on the piston skirts. This should be unaffected by oil choice.