Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Life guage

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RM44341
Consumer Reports did an motor oil comparison test a few years ago and the results were eye-opening. They tested various oils at various intervals in NYC cabs. The tests included before and after measurements of engine components as well as visual inspections of torn down engines. The results were that no oil offered any significant benefit over another. More frequent oil changes didn't offer any measurable increase in protection either.

So far I haven't seen anything that refutes this test. If it is really true then frequent oil changes using premium oil is about as wasteful as putting super unleaded into a car designed to run on 87 octane.
post the link to the test. i have been a believer in synthetic oil for the longest time. they offer better lubrication for an engine because the particles are smaller and more consistent. it does not break down as easily at higher temps. i know there are alot of products that sell because of marketing. but synthetic oil is used in alot of high end racing applications where regular oil just would not hold up. i know we don't drive our cars anywhere near race car levels. but to say that there is no difference in synthetic and regular oil is a bold statement. i remember there was a test of a bmw engine that ran for a million miles on synthetic in a test lab. they changed the oil every 3K miles but ran it for a million miles. when they took the motor apart to inspect the internals they were like new.
Old 04-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
And if an extra $20 gives you more confidence and makes you happy, it's worth it. After all, it doesn't hurt, and it could help. And we don't have to change our oil as often as in the "old days". My 62 Mercedes 190D had a 1900 mile oil change interval, probably because diesels require more frequent oil changing, but considering the much longer intervals these days, it won't be that much of a burden to someone who can afford to own a TL.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:41 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by caball88
post the link to the test. i have been a believer in synthetic oil for the longest time. they offer better lubrication for an engine because the particles are smaller and more consistent. it does not break down as easily at higher temps. i know there are alot of products that sell because of marketing. but synthetic oil is used in alot of high end racing applications where regular oil just would not hold up. i know we don't drive our cars anywhere near race car levels. but to say that there is no difference in synthetic and regular oil is a bold statement. i remember there was a test of a bmw engine that ran for a million miles on synthetic in a test lab. they changed the oil every 3K miles but ran it for a million miles. when they took the motor apart to inspect the internals they were like new.
First, I am glad that someone else remembers the Consumers Reports test. It was done a long time ago, but it was eye opening. The one thing that it showed was an interval of 7,500 miles was fine for the car on normal oil. No difference than 3K.

However, your comment about synthetic is correct. It is better than regular, but for a normal car we do not need better. Think about building a house. You can use lumber for everything or structural steel. The structural steel is 'better' since it can hold more load, but you will never come close to the load that it can carry. Therefore it is overkill for the situation.

If you do a lot of racing, then synthetic is better...... otherwise it is for your own self.
Old 04-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Advanced

I can't post a link beccause the Consumer Reports site is subscription based but you may get some luck by googling for a reprint.

The only attribute that a synthetic offers over regular oil that wasn't addressed in the analysis was cold weather starts and I've heard that in freezing weather that can be a big deal for engine wear.

Otherwise, choosing a motor oil really doesn't sound like a huge deal anymore. Be faithful about changing your oil at recommended intervals with the correct type of oil and you are more likely to have the car rust out from under you before the engine fails due to an oil related problem.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:25 PM
10th Gear

For anyone who's interested, I found the following on the Consumer Reports website:

Myth: Engine oil should be changed every 3,000 miles.
Reality: Although oil companies and quick-lube shops like to promote this idea, it's usually not necessary. Go by the recommended oil-change schedule in your vehicle's owner's manual. Most vehicles driven under normal conditions can go 7,500 miles or more between oil changes. Some models now come with a monitoring system that alerts the driver when the oil needs changing. Depending on driving conditions, these can extend change intervals to 10,000 or 15,000 miles.

and

Don’t spend extra money on synthetic oil unless your car calls for it.

I can't seem to find the study where they show how well the oil lasts, but the Myth/Reality thing seems to agree with previous posts about that study.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Deleted