Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this oil crap?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
I'm thinking it's time to get unbrainwashed.
What's the new thinking on oil change intervals, 5k?
Old 06-03-2017, 03:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by HoofheartedTL
What's the new thinking on oil change intervals, 5k?
Massive dependencies on a lot of factors. There is no "standard".

In a modern, daily driven suburban (you do not live in the city unless you live in the city) car with modern conventional oil...5K miles is probably just fine.

With synthetic, under fairly typical conditions, anywhere from 8-15K is "normal".

Technically, the answer would be to use the type of oil described in the owner's manual and follow the MID. The manual calls for plain Jane, conventional 5W20 from circa 2003. So any modern conventional oil will surpass the manual's requirements.

Different oils are designed to do different things. Buy your oil from Honda if you really want to make sure it meet's the engine's needs.

Its not that complex, though.

Use oil. Change conventional oil when the MID says.

If you'd like to know the most advantageous oil change interval for YOU, you'll need to educate yourself and do a few used oil ANALyses.

Asking the internet when to change your oil and blindly following isn't in your best interest. But the J series isn't sensitive or delicate. It doesn't really care. Good maintenance. Bad maintenance. It'll run longer than 99.999% of people keep their car.

Last edited by BROlando; 06-03-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2017, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Y'all are all suckers.

I go to the recycle depot and steal all the used motor oil. I love the grit in the oil, and sometimes unknown foreign objects. It helps clean the metal surfaces. I just strain the oil through a cheese cloth to get most of the contaminants out, and voila, it's good for another 10k miles. I've saved $350 in the last 4 years of owning this car. Fuck yeah. 3G ballah fo lyfe, bitchas.

whenever someone says my car sucks because of the huge clouds of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, I just remind them that it's custom and I did the mod all myself. Bitchas jus be jealoose.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I usually change at 3k to 5k using full synthetic oil in all my cars with the high speed low drag filters, usually Pure One or equivalent.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:07 AM
Latent car nut

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,414 Posts
I usually change at 3k to 5k using full synthetic oil in all my cars with the high speed low drag filters, usually Pure One or equivalent.
Send a sample of your used oil out for analysis; odds on bet it comes back showing the oil will be good for an easy 10,000 or more miles. Said another way, there is no benefit to be achieved by such frequent oil changes with full synthetic oil.
Old 06-04-2017, 10:23 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,188 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Y'all are all suckers.

I go to the recycle depot and steal all the used motor oil. I love the grit in the oil, and sometimes unknown foreign objects. It helps clean the metal surfaces. I just strain the oil through a cheese cloth to get most of the contaminants out, and voila, it's good for another 10k miles. I've saved $350 in the last 4 years of owning this car. Fuck yeah. 3G ballah fo lyfe, bitchas.

whenever someone says my car sucks because of the huge clouds of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust, I just remind them that it's custom and I did the mod all myself. Bitchas jus be jealoose.
Well said. If I saw a car trailing blue smoke, I'd automatically think that he had more in life than me.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
FYI, I doubt that you are running true "full synthetic" oil.

3K-5K intervals on a semi-syn oil is way overkill and a waste of time/money. Go read the UOA's done on semi-syn oil on Bobistheoilguy.com. Look for the TBN. Without exception, you'll see that semi-syn oil is fine to run for 10K intervals.