Sponsored by:

Oil changes and dealer maintenance???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 08:01 AM
Team WD Photographer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil changes and dealer maintenance???

Got a few questions...

1. The oil fill on my TL says 0w-20 (maybe nit was 5w-20) but I know it wasn't the more common 5w-30 and 0w-30. What weight does everyone use?

2. I always have run Mobil 1 in my vehicles and I plan on keeping that up. Do acura dealers use synthetic or not?

3. With all the hype of having a certified car, is it really worth it to take your car to the deal...I mean really...what's the point as long as the car is maintained? Not that I plan on getting rid of it, but will it really help resale or is it a dealer ploy to get you to spend more $$$?

4. Do any of you really wait until the oil life says 0? With the synthetic I run, I still only wait about 3000 miles. Changing more frequently seems a small price to pay for keeping the engine oil fresh. That is of course unless you take it to the dealer every time...

What a nice car though...Even at 29 yrs old, I find myself leaving the XM on jazz or classical...and I listen to MUCH heavier and louder music usually.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:50 AM
Team WD Photographer

Had some more time here at work and dug into the older threads. Got most of the oil questions answered, but I still wonder if I should bother taking it to the dealer. I just really don't trust anyone to work on my vehicles when am fully capable of doing it myself.

So how many of you will be taking your TL's to the dealers?
Old 05-19-2004, 09:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not me. I will only go to the dealer for warranty work. Otherwise, I will either do the work myself or find a reasonable mechanic. Dealers are waaaayyy too expensive.

BTW - I don't think a car has to be regularly serviced by a dealer to be certified. I think they have a checklist and if everything is ok, the dealer certifies it.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
I do my own oil changes and tire rotations. Quicker, more convenient, and no worries about someone screwing something up (except maybe myself).

The manual says doing your own maintenance will not affect the warranty, so Acura is aware that many people prefer to do their own maintenance.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Somehow document that you did it, keep the receipts or something, especially if you have an extended warranty. Some of those extended companies will not honor it if you can't prove you did every service in the book. They're sticklers.

I myself am going by the maintenance minder and going with whatever oil Acura puts in. Todays oils are so much better than the ones when our fathers taught us to do 3,000 miles and never more never less. That's the reason our engines can go 7,000 miles on a change. They also burn so much more cleaner that they're not polluting the oils which is what made the 3,000 rule.

Sure you can do it, but it's kinda a situation of, why bother.

To me it's like filling up yoru gas tank at half tank every time.. if you know the tank is good for half more, but you don't trust it, and you keep filling it, then you're wasting the potential of using the rest.

Oil technology has caught up with engine technology and duration has been the much deserved outcome.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:38 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

I rely on the MID, and change the oil myself.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Burning Brakes

iyphoto,

Like everyone else here, I would really only want to do warrantee stuff at the dealer. They charge $80 per hour here so you can see how the math works out. I negotiated in one free oil change and that's the only one I will have them do. I do all of my own oil changes and it's great knowing you save money and put quality stuff in there. Most dealers buy whatever oil is cheapest. My buddy used to work as a tech at Acura so it's the truth. Some dealers do run specials for synthetic oil changes though. You need to call but it's still way cheaper to do it yourself.

dsc888
Old 05-19-2004, 10:53 AM
1st Gear

looking through some oil analysis done on tls, 20wt oils do not protect the engine enough, in fact, i couldn't find a single decent looking uoa using a 20wt oil on this engine. no matter what type of oil was used (including the best out there), 20wts did not get the job done. 30wts did much better regardless of type/brand.

of course if you live in a really cold environment, i might consider a 20wt for the winter months, but only for the coldest of times.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:55 AM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I change my own. Mobil 1 0W20. I follow the MID.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:15 AM
My dog thinks I'm Elvis!

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
5W-30 for me!

As noted, Mobil 1 isn't available in the recommended 5W-20. The options are 0W-20 and 5W-30. Since I live in SoCal where it's more often very hot than very cold, and I won't be taking my car to the snow with the A-SPEC and Yoko's, I am more inclined to use 5W-30 than 0W-20. I talked the service department at my dealer and they agree with my reasoning, so I'll be using 5W-30 at my first oil change. An additional advantage is you can get 5W-30 at Costco but not 0W-20! The oil in the new car is a special oil for engine break in so I'll probably leave it in as long as possible and until my oil life indicator reads 10%.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:35 AM
Team WD Photographer

All valid points...

What is so special about the oil in it for break in?

As far as frequency of changes. If it doesn't hurt to put new oil you car...it won't hurt to change it more often than not. Any lubricants ability to do its job (lubricate and flow) will be reduced over time. There is a certain time for which it will remain constant, but then it does fall off rapidly. My experience is mainly with motorcycles and I am an engineer so my thoughts are not based off of some BS internet article...just a point of clarification.

Why is it that we run Synthetic? Better protection and longer life, right? So why not just keep it fresh? My motorcycle gets fresh oil every 500-1000 miles. I don't log too many miles, so it's not much extra expense. I also race. That means fresh oil before every weekend. Maybe that is where the habit started.

It just seems like such a small price to pay for piece of mind.

And ya, I'm thinking the dealer can blow me...except for warranty items which I better not have...
Old 05-19-2004, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Red face

Originally Posted by iyfphoto
Got a few questions...

1. The oil fill on my TL says 0w-20 (maybe nit was 5w-20) but I know it wasn't the more common 5w-30 and 0w-30. What weight does everyone use?

5W-20 is the recommended oil for the TL.

2. I always have run Mobil 1 in my vehicles and I plan on keeping that up. Do acura dealers use synthetic or not?

Acura dealers use Acura approved oil (not synthetic) unless otherwise specified by the customer. Synthetic works fine, but do not switch back to regular oil after using synthetic!

3. With all the hype of having a certified car, is it really worth it to take your car to the deal...I mean really...what's the point as long as the car is maintained? Not that I plan on getting rid of it, but will it really help resale or is it a dealer ploy to get you to spend more $$$?

As an Acura certified pre-owned vehicle, the factory warranty B to B is extended an additional 12 months/12,000 miles from original in-service date and 7yr/100,000 powertrain warranty FROM ACURA. It is not a generic extended warranty and does not need to be transferred to new owner. It goes with the car. You can do your own maintenance, but make sure you do the 30K, 60K and 90K services at the dealer.

4. Do any of you really wait until the oil life says 0? With the synthetic I run, I still only wait about 3000 miles. Changing more frequently seems a small price to pay for keeping the engine oil fresh. That is of course unless you take it to the dealer every time...

What a nice car though...Even at 29 yrs old, I find myself leaving the XM on jazz or classical...and I listen to MUCH heavier and louder music usually.
Old 05-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Team WD Photographer

?
Old 05-19-2004, 01:49 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm still using
5 quarters 5w-20 from Honda
Honda oil filter http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=14
Oil plug gasket

and change oil while MID shows below 20%...
Old 05-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by SBTL
As noted, Mobil 1 isn't available in the recommended 5W-20. The options are 0W-20 and 5W-30. Since I live in SoCal where it's more often very hot than very cold, and I won't be taking my car to the snow with the A-SPEC and Yoko's, I am more inclined to use 5W-30 than 0W-20. I talked the service department at my dealer and they agree with my reasoning, so I'll be using 5W-30 at my first oil change.
This question shows my ignorance, but just what are the differences between 0W-20 and 5W-30? I can infer that the 0W-20 is better in cold, and the 5W-30 better in hot climates, but why, and what do the designations mean?

I also plan to use Mobil One in my TL, based on what I have read here. Inferring from the post above, it sounds like since I live in upstate NY, where it often gets very cold, I should go with the 0W-20, but I'll feel better about that decision once I know what the designations mean.

Thanks!
Andy W.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:08 PM
Racer

I just had my first oil change done at the dealer (Mobil 1, 5-30), and I will continue to have the dealer change the oil, as for me, the savings of doing it myself isn't worth it.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Unshunned

Originally Posted by SBTL
As noted, Mobil 1 isn't available in the recommended 5W-20. The options are 0W-20 and 5W-30. Since I live in SoCal where it's more often very hot than very cold, and I won't be taking my car to the snow with the A-SPEC and Yoko's, I am more inclined to use 5W-30 than 0W-20. I talked the service department at my dealer and they agree with my reasoning, so I'll be using 5W-30 at my first oil change. An additional advantage is you can get 5W-30 at Costco but not 0W-20! The oil in the new car is a special oil for engine break in so I'll probably leave it in as long as possible and until my oil life indicator reads 10%.

I had the same question as you - but read the Mobil1 site and it may help you.

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

This is directly from thier 0W-20 page.
Applications:
Mobil 1 with SuperSyn 0W-20 is the ideal motor oil for high-revving and high-output four- and six-cylinder engines. Mobil 1 0W-20 is only recommended where a 0W-20 or 5W-20 viscosity is specified. Mobil 1 0W-20 is particularly appropriate for any 1998-2003 Honda Accord, and 1996-2003 Honda Civics (except DOHC/VTEC). It exceeds the motor oil requirements for the ultra-fuel-efficient Honda Insight and Civic Hybrid models, which specify using a 0W-20 viscosity grade.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Team WD Photographer

So if they don't recommend it for Vtec civics, why would we use it in our TL's?

FWIW - I saw some of the Mobil1 0w20 at Adv Auto prts at lunch...seems to indicate that it works in Ford and Honda 5w20 applications. Who knows.

Hey soljc...how much did they charge and did you provide the oil?
Old 05-19-2004, 02:27 PM
Racer

Question to those of you who change your own oil - How hard is it? Are any special tools required? Can the filter be removed without getting oil all over the place?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:05 PM
Moderator Alumnus

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80273

Originally Posted by ibeplato
Question to those of you who change your own oil - How hard is it? Are any special tools required? Can the filter be removed without getting oil all over the place?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:32 PM
HMFIC

Originally Posted by mikeinaustin
looking through some oil analysis done on tls, 20wt oils do not protect the engine enough, in fact, i couldn't find a single decent looking uoa using a 20wt oil on this engine. no matter what type of oil was used (including the best out there), 20wts did not get the job done. 30wts did much better regardless of type/brand.

of course if you live in a really cold environment, i might consider a 20wt for the winter months, but only for the coldest of times.
I'm not sure I understand what this means. I just did an oil analysis on the factory fill after 1709 miles. Although the copper content was high due to break-in; the TBN was 4.7 (better than Amsoil full synthetic after 3000 miles in this test - http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html).

What are you referring to when you state that 5w20 will not protect the engine?

Don
Old 05-19-2004, 04:13 PM
9th Gear

I hit 5000 miles this past week. I called the dealership for their recommandations on when to take it in for it's 1st oil change, they said to bring it in at 7500 miles (including it's regular checkup inside and out). Does that seem right, wait 'til 7500?

Help!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Lightbulb Simple way and what the owner manual says...

Originally Posted by DTGonzalez
I hit 5000 miles this past week. I called the dealership for their recommandations on when to take it in for it's 1st oil change, they said to bring it in at 7500 miles (including it's regular checkup inside and out). Does that seem right, wait 'til 7500?

Help!

Following your owner manual and reading your MID are the easy ways. If you're driving like my friend in SJ, he did changed his first oil at nearly 7500 miles when his MID told him 5% to do so.

But, keep in mind, lots of ppl do change their oil frequently, about 3k-5k, this won't hurt. I think the bottom line of this is never to exceed the limit of what your owner manual says. For example, I'm driving in the stop and go city, my MID may tell me to change oil around 3k-4k... I won't wait until 7500...
Old 05-19-2004, 04:41 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by rets
Following your owner manual and reading your MID are the easy ways. If you're driving like my friend in SJ, he did changed his first oil at nearly 7500 miles when his MID told him 5% to do so.

But, keep in mind, lots of ppl do change their oil frequently, about 3k-5k, this won't hurt. I think the bottom line of this is never to exceed the limit of what your owner manual says. For example, I'm driving in the stop and go city, my MID may tell me to change oil around 3k-4k... I won't wait until 7500...

Thanks, I will make an appt asap. Thanks for your help rets!
Old 05-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
So, what's the bottom line on Mobil 1 for temperate climates? 5W-30, etc. doesn't seem to mean squat since the Mobil 1 website doesn't even go past 2000 TL's. I'd like to use Mobil 1 at my first and every oil change, but officially, it's not recommended??
Old 05-19-2004, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i run mobil 1 5w30 in mine and run 10,000 mile intervals. i have had it tested every time with atleast a 4-5 for a TBN at that mileage and i am considered sever driving (my car idles all day and i drive hard)
Old 05-20-2004, 12:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Free Full Syn oil

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/rebat...sp?rebateid=18
Old 05-20-2004, 06:06 AM
Advanced

syn oil

Let me tell ya'll a visible difference in Syn vs reg oil.

My wife's 4runner used Castrol 5w-30 oil for the 1st 40,000 miles. The dipstick had a brown varnish all over it. When I switched it to Mobil1, the varnish on the dipstick was gone after 5,000 miles. That's cleaning, baby.

I will not use regular oil ever again.

I've used M-1 5w-30 extensivly @ 7,500 mile intervals.

Another note...

I'm a controller for a fleet company south of Houston, our used oil analysis tells us that Mobil1 is in better shape after 5,000 miles than a regular oil after 500 miles. This is on a fleet of PT Cruisers.

with regards,

RB
Old 05-20-2004, 07:17 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iyfphoto
So if they don't recommend it for Vtec civics, why would we use it in our TL's?

FWIW - I saw some of the Mobil1 0w20 at Adv Auto prts at lunch...seems to indicate that it works in Ford and Honda 5w20 applications. Who knows.

Hey soljc...how much did they charge and did you provide the oil?
Part of my deal for the car included 2 free oil changes (I think most dealers give one free), so there was no charge. They provide oil, filter, etc., and they also wash the car everytime. Future oil changes with Mobil 1 will be $49, although they do run specials from time to time.
Old 05-20-2004, 07:18 AM
Team WD Photographer

Would that be a fleet of PT cruisers or more like a pack

Syn in the way to go if you want to provide your motor with the most protection....period.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Racer

I'm approaching 6000 miles on mine and the MID shows me at 30% oil life. So, I fully expect to get upwards of 7500 miles before needing that first oil change.

Originally Posted by DTGonzalez

Help!
Old 05-20-2004, 02:32 PM
ABP Auditor

Just got my TL on Monday. I read where Acura says the original oil fill has "special properties" to help during break in. Anyone know what is in there? Also, how long did each of you go before the first change? I have always done the first change in a new car at 1K. I've never had any car go to 7K for any change. I ususally do my own changes at 3-4K and always use Castrol GTX and have never had problems.

Also wondering why the manual shows oil change with no filter? What's the point if you don't change the filter? JMHO.