Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh Sh**, Smashed In Front End

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 10:36 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts
Oh Sh**, Smashed In Front End

Well last night a woman made a left hand turn in front of my wife and my wife T-boned her. Apparently, the other two lanes of traffic had motioned this driver through but my wife could not see her until she was in front of her. Fortunately, no one was hurt. My wife was going 35 kph at the time but must have slowed down a lot because she didn't even break the headlights. However, she did mess up the front bumper, grill and the hood is bent. The Acura bodyshop indicated all of these parts would need to be replaced together with the hood mounts. They also indicated that the car would probably need to go to the service shop to ensure that there is no internal damage from things being shifted under the hood. They suspect that the radiator or its mounts have been bent.

The other vehicle was a Dodge Caravan and it wasn't even driveable (the front right wheel was bent).

Immediately after the accident, the other driver quickly flashed a badge at my wife and told her the accident was her fault because she should have seen her and yielded to her. My wife called me in a panic and I decided to go over to the scene of the accident. Apparently, about a minute later a firetruck arrived. The other woman was a firefighter and had called the fire department. The police arrived a minute after that and I arrived two minutes later. Of course, as I approached the scene I saw the firetruck and assumed that there had been a fire. I could see my wife on the street talking to the cop so I realized she was ok. Fortunately, the police officer confirmed that the other driver was completely at fault.

The air bags did not go off nor did the airbag lights illuminate. Has anyone got any suggestions about things I should be confirming with the bodyship to ensure that I get back a car that is as good as the one I owned yesterday?
Old 07-13-2004, 10:49 AM
I6

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad your wife is ok. Make sure you check to see if the engine compartment is fine and also check inside your bumper.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Racer

The preliniary estimate indicates that they plan to overhaul the front bumper assembly and replace the front bumper cover. It sounds like they intend to do the right things with respect to the front bumper.

I won't know about the engine compartment until service looks at it. Clearly, they are going to need to do something to straighten the rad but I don't know if anything else is out of kilter.

They are going to check the aim of the headlights. Should I be asking for a front end alignment? The car was driveable and I didn't notice any pulling or odd handling.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make sure they align the headlights properly. the driver-side lamp should aim a bit lower at distance...
Old 07-13-2004, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smoore
Immediately after the accident, the other driver quickly flashed a badge at my wife and told her the accident was her fault because she should have seen her and yielded to her.
Glad everyone is ok. But, I'd be wanting a word with that "other driver". If someone is taking a left turn and is in an accident, it is their fault. Some people have a lot of nerve. Make sure they fix the car correctly and completely. Sorry, I have no advice on that.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Instructor

First and foremost your wife is ok. Everything else is below that in importance.
The other driver flashed a badge at you? And she wasn't a police officer? I believe that is called "impersonating a police officer" and it is quite illegal in the states. I don't think it would matter what kind of public employee she is. Firefighter or not.
A reputable repair shop will be able to measure all the points on the frame and sub-frame to assure all is square with the rest of the world. Sounds like it was slow enough not to cause anything major, but just be sure you take it to a reputable shop.
By the way, the ChampCar race from your beautiful city was quite entertaining. Did you by any chance get to see it?
Keep us informed of how the repair goes.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:27 PM
Instructor

I believe in the Ontario Traffic Act that the drivers that 'waved her through' can actually be held liable for the accident.

Good to hear your wife is all right, that's the important thing.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Champcar1
First and foremost your wife is ok. Everything else is below that in importance.
The other driver flashed a badge at you? And she wasn't a police officer? I believe that is called "impersonating a police officer" and it is quite illegal in the states. I don't think it would matter what kind of public employee she is. Firefighter or not.

Theirs nothing wrong with flashing a badge as long as it was issued to that person, only way she would be in any kind of trouble is if she claimed she was a police officer. Flashing the badge in the firefighters defense could have been to let her know that she was a firefighter hence she knew first aid if needed.

smoore - I am glad your wife is ok. The same thing happend to my Fiancé about 6 months ago -- When people try to wave me through and I cant see that other lane, I just sit there until I know its clear -- some people are either in a hurry or not thinking at that moment. Make sure everything is like new when repaired -- I mean if anything is out of place make them fix it- If they claim it cannot be repaired to "like new" or Factory Standards - Higher a lawyer and opt for a new car.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:38 PM
You touch my tra la la...

I think its great that the caravan driver recognized it was her fault and said so calmy, without fighting or arguing or anything. Glad everyone is alright.

By the way, police officers, particularly sergants but I guess any, can give police badges to family and sergant's association cards to family so that other police officers know of the connection. Using the badge or card to say you're an officer is one thing, but using it to let someone know that you have cops in your family is another thing. I have a sergant's card from my uncle, and my parents each have a badge. Police officers usually, unless they don't care, let you off easy for things like minor speeding, minor violations, etc if you show them an item like that. Unfair I guess, but thats how it works.

By the way, one of my uncles is a sergant and my grandpa was one. Not a big part of our family, but just so you know how I got my info.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Cruisin'

I would suggest you also make sure they check your airbag sensors. I did a similar thing in a previous car and the airbag sensors had to be replaced.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by smoore
Well last night a woman made a left hand turn in front of my wife and my wife T-boned her. Apparently, the other two lanes of traffic had motioned this driver through but my wife could not see her until she was in front of her. Fortunately, no one was hurt. My wife was going 35 kph at the time but must have slowed down a lot because she didn't even break the headlights. However, she did mess up the front bumper, grill and the hood is bent. The Acura bodyshop indicated all of these parts would need to be replaced together with the hood mounts. They also indicated that the car would probably need to go to the service shop to ensure that there is no internal damage from things being shifted under the hood. They suspect that the radiator or its mounts have been bent.

The other vehicle was a Dodge Caravan and it wasn't even driveable (the front right wheel was bent).

Immediately after the accident, the other driver quickly flashed a badge at my wife and told her the accident was her fault because she should have seen her and yielded to her. My wife called me in a panic and I decided to go over to the scene of the accident. Apparently, about a minute later a firetruck arrived. The other woman was a firefighter and had called the fire department. The police arrived a minute after that and I arrived two minutes later. Of course, as I approached the scene I saw the firetruck and assumed that there had been a fire. I could see my wife on the street talking to the cop so I realized she was ok. Fortunately, the police officer confirmed that the other driver was completely at fault.

The air bags did not go off nor did the airbag lights illuminate. Has anyone got any suggestions about things I should be confirming with the bodyship to ensure that I get back a car that is as good as the one I owned yesterday?
smoore all due respect,but i would of punched or had that lady arrested. flashin a badge and trin to play off like shes a cop??

yet shes a firefighter?

Im A NYC Police officer, and we dont really get along with FD down here, yet to flash a badge at me would like that person in jail for the night.

You Should File A Complaint against this person for her actions.
Old 07-14-2004, 02:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cdbell1201
I would suggest you also make sure they check your airbag sensors. I did a similar thing in a previous car and the airbag sensors had to be replaced.
Thanks for the info. I will make sure they check the airbag sensor.

I am having the dealer's bodyshop that I bought the car from do the bodywork. I saw a Silver Navi that they had repaired because of damage in transit. I couldn't tell where the repair had been made even after they showed me a picture of the damage. The estimator seemed to know what he was talking about and indicated that they would use all new parts and not even attempt to fix any of the damaged items.

I realize that the firefighter flashed the badge and called in the firetruck in an attempt to intimidate my wife and possibly the investigating officer. My wife kept her wits about her, ensured that the police were called and the vehicles were not moved until the officer arrived. The investigating officer apparently didn't hesitate in telling the firefighter that the accident was her fault. The attempts at intimidation didn't work and the firefighter never claimed she was a police officer so my wife has no interest in pursuing that issue any further.

I was amazed that the headlights didn't crack. I believe that would have added at least another $1000 to the cost of repairs. Thanks for eveyone's input. I will advise as to how well the repairs are done.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Racer

Repairs Completed

Well I got the car back on Friday which is 6 days earlier than they promised it. Apparently, they got the parts faster than expected and did a hell of job turning it around. The repairs were done flawlessly by Downtown Acura's bodyshop. I can see a slight difference in the newly painted areas because they don't have 2 coats of Maguiars on them. I was told to wait 30 days to wax the front end.

The total cost of the repairs was $4,600 Canadian. They had to replace the bumper cover, the grill, the hood, the rad and the condensor. The headlights were realigned but they said there was no need to to do a front end alignment. They attempted to talk the claims adjuster into authorizing it but he wouldn't. The car appears to be tracking exactly as it did before the accident. I haven't noticed any rattles or clicks.

I had a 4 cylinder Altima for almost 2 weeks. Boy was I glad to get rid of that car and get my TL back. I didn't realize how dependent I had become on voice command, HFL and the navi. I also missed DVD Audio, the ride, the interior (especially the seats) and the power.

Hopefully, this is the only crash this car is ever in.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Racer

Well I don't want to see anyone, in any car, get into an accident; buttttttt. Over the last five years I have had two accidents in my Acura TLs and I was so impressed with the way they held up, both in protection and solidity of construction, that it will be hard for me to own anything but another Acura TL.

The biggest accident was when I was broad sided by a Ford Explorer, dead-on solid at the rear right passenger door. That repair was over 10K and the work the body shop did was exemplary. It was not the Acura dealerships body shop but one that deals exclusively with Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Acura dealerships but I had known them for 12 years BEFORE ever having had an Acura so they always do my cars.

Anyway, from the Explorer's broadsiding me I definitely felt the car really protected me and that's what you want it to do. The other accident was more minor, I was run off the road, but I paid out of pocket for that and I was astonished at how low the repair was considering what the car went through. No need to go into more detail suffice it to say that again, I was impressed.

So to summarize, "I feel safe in my Acura TLs"

And please listen . . .

Always wear your seatbelts, ALWAYS ! ! !
Old 07-27-2004, 06:06 PM
Burning Brakes

We Want PICS!!!!!!!!
Old 07-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Racer

Sorry no PICs. I dont' have a digital camera. Anyway it looks like any other SSM auto, NOW. I also don't have pics of the original damage.