Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh No, A Dent!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh No, A Dent!

I managed to get a small dent, half inch long, on the driver door to the right of window. It might as well be half a mile long. Is there inexpensive way to remove this blight from my baby?

Thanks,

Craig
Old 05-10-2004, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try looking under "Paintless Dent Removal" under automotive repair in the yellow pages. Quick turn around and no paint matching or overspray problems and it should look like new once done. It should run you like $100 per panel/dent. You can get a better deal if you waited and did several at once but lets hope that will NOT be necessary.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:51 PM
7th Gear

Aaargh ... me too!!! Took my wife to San Diego for Mother's Day and some jackass swung open his door and dinged mine in the hotel parking lot!

I haven't even made a payment yet and it's already damaged goods!
Old 05-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Originally Posted by NighthawkKen
Aaargh ... me too!!! Took my wife to San Diego for Mother's Day and some jackass swung open his door and dinged mine in the hotel parking lot!

I haven't even made a payment yet and it's already damaged goods!
you should have gotten that ass hole to pay for it.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:54 PM
Instructor

I know what you guys mean, even if you park out in the middle of nowhere, someone will have to park next to you and wind up nicking up your car. How difficult is it for people to open a car door and not slam it into the car next to them???
Old 05-10-2004, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Hey guys, you might want to check this company out.

DentWizard
http://www.dentwizard.com/

They've helped a couple of buddies of mine with simlar problems. Lots of locations around the country.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:15 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

PDR (Paintless Dent Removal) is amazing. I had a hail damaged Maxima and when it was done it was flawless! I asked how they did so good and didn't miss any dings. Apparently they cover your car in white powder and use a black light then remove the dings. I highly recommend it as a dent repair method!
Old 05-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool

Would the body-side-moulding have helped in these situations.
I know that some of you think that the BSM doesn't look good (though on SSM it doesn't look bad), but it looks better than a dent.

TL-Rocket
Old 05-10-2004, 11:49 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by nking54580
you should have gotten that ass hole to pay for it.
Didn't see him - I was upstairs asleep . What really pisses me off is I intentionally parked next to a cement column so there was about 3 feet between the cars!!!

He must've had a really long door and been really careless - or was jealous of my NBP TL and did it intentionally.

I'll try to find a PDR place nearby. Does anyone know about what that'll run me?
Old 05-10-2004, 11:54 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TL-Rocket
Would the body-side-moulding have helped in these situations.
I know that some of you think that the BSM doesn't look good (though on SSM it doesn't look bad), but it looks better than a dent.

TL-Rocket
I think it may have helped, but I can't be sure. The dent is right at the edge of the front passenger door where the moulding would have already tapered off, but it might have caught the guy's door earlier.

I haven't seen the BSM on a NBP does anyone have pictures? Though as you said it's gotta look better than the dent.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:31 AM
Advanced

I've had my Lexus GS300 SportsDesign for almost a year and have had two good size dents during this time. I am very anal about my cars and these dents really pisxed me off. In the Boston area, there is a company called "Ding Master". Each time, I called them and the owner came out and completely removed the dent ( yes, completely ). The best $75 - $85 I spent. Althouh I still do everything I can to minimize getting another dent, I no longer stress about it too much because if it should happen again, I'll call the good old Ding Master.
Old 05-11-2004, 06:38 AM
Racer

I've had my TL since Dec and now have collected 1 dent and 2 chips. The dent is below the BSM line so that wouldn't of helped nor the two chips.

The latest chip story. I parked at the grocery store at the end lot, but next to a small toyota 4X4 - plenty of space between my car and the truck. I got out and walked to the store when I noticed a women pushing her grocery cart towards the truck. I thought for a moment and started to go into my usual paranoid frantic, but decided for once to stop being so anal about my car. Sure enough, upon my return I see the shopping cart next to my car and the truck gone. And yes, the cart WAS pushed into my TL where it left a 1/2" scrape above the front wheel well. I cused the woman for her laziness and her carelessness.

I can't understand for the life of me why people are too lazy to put their shopping carts back where they belong rather than lettting them stroll out in a parking lot where expensive investments sit idle. Why?
Old 05-11-2004, 06:43 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Are these qtr panels more suceptible (sp?) to chips due to they way they stick out? My first week took a nasty chip on the passenger front qtr panel - right above the wheel on that hump. Now as I was washing the car last night - I see I now have a matching chip on the driver side front qtr. - what gives? :smackhead
Old 05-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Cruisin'

Got to relate this funny and poignant story, although it has got nothing to do with my new TL....several years ago I owned a '98 Taurus SHO. Like all my cars, I kept it mint, and always parked away from others. The car had the 5-spoke chrome factory wheels, was a dark peral green with "camel" interior, and looked real good. It was also an animal to drive, BTW. Anyway, I was in a local mall, and when I came out there was a new, white MBenz S430 parked next to me. In my rear drivers side door there was a dent that was as big as a baseball covered with scratches of white paint from what I figured was the rear door of the MB. I checked the right rear door of the benz, and, sure enough, on the rear edge of the passenger side rear door there was green paint the same color as my car, so I knew this jackass had done the damage. Probably some little kid who didn't care, and an unobservant parent who didn't use their brain either. I unlocked my car, opened the rear driver's side door, got in the rear seat, and put my feet against the inside door panel. I shoved my legs straight out and slammed that MB as hard as I could. Then, I moved my car up a few inches, and did it again. Then, I backed-up a foot, and did it again. By the time I left, that MB looked like it had been hit by a green baseball bat.

Had my door fixed by a body shop friend of mine for free.

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, tell my kids (and I have 4 of them) when they're getting out of one of my cars, and if I have to park next to another car, to be careful and not to hit the other car. It's just common courtesy.