Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OEM vs. Aftermarket Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM vs. Aftermarket Alarm

I would like to get an opinion from owners of 04 TL or owners of 2nd Gen TLs. It is my understanding that the OEM alarm does not include any impact sensors.

Therefore, if one wants impact sensors, do you install another alarm while disabling the OEM or what? I've been thinking about this for quite some time now and there seems to be several options...

First, I am not a electrician or claim to know everything but here goes...

1) Leave the OEM alarm and have a tech install impact sensors via the OEM alarm brain

2) Leave the OEM alarm and have a tech install another alarm with impact sensors

3) Disable the OEM alarm and have a tech install an alarm with impact sensors.

If you have any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

B.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:20 PM
Advanced

bump.. anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:39 PM
Anthracite Trend Setter

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea, I got some ideas. Here is what you do:

1) Leave the OEM alarm and have a tech install impact sensors via the OEM alarm brain

2) Leave the OEM alarm and have a tech install another alarm with impact sensors

3) Disable the OEM alarm and have a tech install an alarm with impact sensors.

Seriously though, 2 and 3 are going to require additiona remotes or at least a different one. Not everythign works the same and on my car, the oem alarm aoccasioanly goes off. You will need an expensive on to keep roll down windows and all the features. I would stay oem if I could. Installation is not cheap either

I know, I'm completely useless
Old 12-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Have you tried calling any shops that sell alarms and asking what your options are? That's what I would do.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:24 AM
Racer

PLEASE AVOID IMPACT SENSORS! It is because of these that everyone HATES and IGNORES car alarms! They serve no useful purpose, and are ALWAYS set too sensitive so they go off accidently all the time!

The car has an immobilizer system, there is NO WAY any thug will hotwire it for a joy ride. You SHOULD have the wheel locks installed to prevent wheel thefts, and if you leave goodies in view inside the car you are just ASKING for someone to break your window. Even with the alarm, the thieves will be gone in 10 seconds with your stuff, so what good does it do?

NO ONE pays attention to car alarms because of this type of sensor, please don't add to the noise pollution!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:01 AM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 00TL + Nav,
I installed a CompuStar Alarm (with 2-way remote pager) on top of the stock alarm, they both work nicely.
I could use either remote to activate each alarm separate but the CompuStar remote reaches 1.25 miles away! and it will alert you if somebody taps on the window, or opens a door or trunk in its digital graphics display.

- you can even start the car from that distance so it will warm up inside (in winter) or cool off (in summer). An icon will display on your remote, indicating the car is running.

- When you go on a trip, you can program it to start and warm up your car for 15 minutes everyday, so your battery keeps charged.

It never went off because of cars driving by, rain or fireworks.!

very good system, look it up on the web.

My previous car had Lo-Jack and it got stolen, & 12 hours later the police found it with no leather seats, no door panels and no air bags! .
There are only 4 cars in Houston with tracking devices for Lo-Jack - what a waste of money. The insurance totalled the car because it would cost $15k to install everything again! - it was an used 97 accord (which I paid only 9000 for it.)
Old 12-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Banned

Just leave the alarm as is.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Racer

The alarm as is happens to not be good enough for a discount on automobile insurance by Allstate Insurance Company in NYC. It is not a passive alarm. Therefore if you stay with the as is alarm you get no discount on policy. I dont know if this applys in any other states but it does in New York City.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:52 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by automophile
PLEASE AVOID IMPACT SENSORS! It is because of these that everyone HATES and IGNORES car alarms! They serve no useful purpose, and are ALWAYS set too sensitive so they go off accidently all the time!

The car has an immobilizer system, there is NO WAY any thug will hotwire it for a joy ride. You SHOULD have the wheel locks installed to prevent wheel thefts, and if you leave goodies in view inside the car you are just ASKING for someone to break your window. Even with the alarm, the thieves will be gone in 10 seconds with your stuff, so what good does it do?

NO ONE pays attention to car alarms because of this type of sensor, please don't add to the noise pollution!
Dont be fooled by the immobilizer, lots of cars with it have been stolen the old fashioned way.
Old 12-08-2003, 09:09 PM
Cruisin'

LoJack

What are people's experiences with LoJack? Recommended?

Lyman
Old 12-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Racer

"Dont be fooled by the immobilizer, lots of cars with it have been stolen the old fashioned way."

Uh- What is the "old fashioned way" if you can't start the car?

The only way left is to tow or flat bed the car, and if they want it THAT bad, no alarm is going to make ANY difference. Anyway, the point is that impact sensors are useless and annoying.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:25 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: LoJack

Originally posted by lymster
What are people's experiences with LoJack? Recommended?

Lyman
My thoughts...

I believe the current offer from Acura should be quite enough, plus keeping the vehicle empty/clean and having some visible club on wheel or pedal. These two plus could reduce thieves thinking of your car as the easy target.

As for Lojack, I hear of ppl saying the new early-warning system would combine its radio-alarm (original lojack) and the new move-moment sensor/security code remote, which means you would get notifications to your cell, phones, pager, or email if the car starts to move without your code fob. My friend's car having it would have a call to his cell & PDA right away under 5 mins. If you unfortunately go to that end, you at least can call police immediately while thieves still on the way to their shops/places.

But, you have to know Lojack has the regional issue. Not everywhere in states can have it worked, however, it usually runs well in major cities.

So far, I didn't see I need an additional device in my TL yet. But, if you don't like to touch any wires in your car, Lojack with the battery seems to be a good choice, it only requires the power to work.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Nicki
It is not a passive alarm. Therefore if you stay with the as is alarm you get no discount on policy.
Allstate sucks. The stock immobilizer system is about as passive as passive arming can possibly get.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by Nicki
The alarm as is happens to not be good enough for a discount on automobile insurance by Allstate Insurance Company in NYC. It is not a passive alarm. Therefore if you stay with the as is alarm you get no discount on policy. I dont know if this applys in any other states but it does in New York City.
Don't know what you mean.

I transfer from Country-wide to Allstate. (no insurance firm is perfect. As long as the car needs insurance to drive, it's just a matter of time to have money back from them when accidents occur)

I got merely $41 deduction from Anti-theft part, I have to pay $2k totally in where I live.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:20 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by NOX 3.2
On my 00TL + Nav,
I installed a CompuStar Alarm (with 2-way remote pager) on top of the stock alarm, they both work nicely.
NOX 3.2, would you mind disclosing a little more info about your alarm system? A link to its site would be great.

Just like to have a little more research. Thanks.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:26 AM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by automophile
"Dont be fooled by the immobilizer, lots of cars with it have been stolen the old fashioned way."

Uh- What is the "old fashioned way" if you can't start the car?

The only way left is to tow or flat bed the car, and if they want it THAT bad, no alarm is going to make ANY difference. Anyway, the point is that impact sensors are useless and annoying.
I agree with you on the impact sensors, it is a few ways to cancel out get around the Immobilizer but I dont want to get into it here this is according to a buddy of mine thats a tech at Acura. Plus I know of 2 350Z's in my area that were stolen and driven off and they have immobilizer as well.
Old 12-09-2003, 09:04 AM
FTM
Instructor

I posted in the other topic about alarms as well.
You can get you a good high end alarm system with whatever features you want. The factory alarm can stay intact & still be used if needed such as when the car is in for service. I had a Clifford alarm system installed on my 2000TL when I purchased it new. I had the same issue with the factory alarm system many of the old guys that were on the old old acura tl fourum that had the 1999 & early 2000 TL models were changing the alarm systems for this reason. With some higher end alarm systems you can adjust your settings of your warning sensors or impact vibration sensors. They do not give off false alarms like many others due to wind our vibrations from heavy trucks or thunder. I have some 32 adjustment settings on some of the sensors on my alarm. They sensitivity levels can be adjusted by you with the master remote. My system is kinda old now but is still way better then many of the new mid range alarms & even some higer range models. Clifford is made by DEI they make the Viper & other alarms system but are the higher end models. The feature I wanted back then was BlackJax anticarjacking & the model I got had it built -in. Tis prevent the car from being driven very far if the person takes the car from you like in a carjacking or someone steals your keys & key fob without your knowing. I got my Clifford when they called it G4 Generation & that was the lastest. Now they have the G5 Generation with there alarm systems & that the newest stuff. Each alarm model has its on features. www.clifford.com
Old 12-11-2003, 10:00 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Alarm/Pager/Starter - 1.25 miles away!...
http://www.compustar.org/

GPS Tracking...
http://www.teletype.com/pages/tracking.html

also good device: (no wire cutting)

AUTO TASER
http://www.electromax.com/perprot.html

fry 'em before they get your nice car!
Old 12-11-2003, 11:35 PM
Pro

Originally posted by FTM
I posted in the other topic about alarms as well.
You can get you a good high end alarm system with whatever features you want. The factory alarm can stay intact & still be used if needed such as when the car is in for service. I had a Clifford alarm system installed on my 2000TL when I purchased it new. I had the same issue with the factory alarm system many of the old guys that were on the old old acura tl fourum that had the 1999 & early 2000 TL models were changing the alarm systems for this reason. With some higher end alarm systems you can adjust your settings of your warning sensors or impact vibration sensors. They do not give off false alarms like many others due to wind our vibrations from heavy trucks or thunder. I have some 32 adjustment settings on some of the sensors on my alarm. They sensitivity levels can be adjusted by you with the master remote. My system is kinda old now but is still way better then many of the new mid range alarms & even some higer range models. Clifford is made by DEI they make the Viper & other alarms system but are the higher end models. The feature I wanted back then was BlackJax anticarjacking & the model I got had it built -in. Tis prevent the car from being driven very far if the person takes the car from you like in a carjacking or someone steals your keys & key fob without your knowing. I got my Clifford when they called it G4 Generation & that was the lastest. Now they have the G5 Generation with there alarm systems & that the newest stuff. Each alarm model has its on features. www.clifford.com
The cliffords look good, but can they REALLY intergrate it so it works perfectly with the current system, and you need to only hold on to one key fob, not two?

Do the vendors that install these after market alarms KNOW the car inside and out and how to do work on them, especially something new like the TL?

Will it void the warrnty if they start messing around in the event you have an electrical issue?

And will a professional theif look at the car and say "they have the stock Acura alarm, this is easy to steal" or "they have a better alarm I won't steal this" based on what kind of red lights are flashing inside?

If a theif sees your glass etched, will they pick another car? If they see a club on the steering wheel, will that deter them? (Most people say no)

Just some questions!

Mike
Old 12-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

About the clifford alarm, I remember they appeared on Time and AAA magazine. It has the new radio-like comprehensive alarm system with little smal screen remote. The big FOB for carrying over. Fancy. Immense.

Due to unknown to TL wiring, I would like to chose any alarm system having less harm to the car and warranty.

Kind of agree with MikeRadio... Got some Qs, need some answers...

Additional alarm or security or lock should help TL... Need to find one...
Old 12-17-2003, 09:57 PM
FTM
Instructor

Originally posted by MikeRadio
The cliffords look good, but can they REALLY intergrate it so it works perfectly with the current system, and you need to only hold on to one key fob, not two?

Do the vendors that install these after market alarms KNOW the car inside and out and how to do work on them, especially something new like the TL?

Will it void the warrnty if they start messing around in the event you have an electrical issue?

And will a professional theif look at the car and say "they have the stock Acura alarm, this is easy to steal" or "they have a better alarm I won't steal this" based on what kind of red lights are flashing inside?

If a theif sees your glass etched, will they pick another car? If they see a club on the steering wheel, will that deter them? (Most people say no)

Just some questions!

Mike
As far as the question about the key FOB if you have the aftermarket alarm system added to the car with a factory alarm system you should be only be using the aftermarket key FOB. As I said before my factory alarm is still intact & can still be used like in the case of auto repair service or valet parking.Since I had my Clifford put in the day after I picked up my car new from the dealership almost 4yrs ago now. I have only used the alarm remote key fob for the Clifford alarm. If you go to a good quality alarm shop that does high end installs the installers should be abale to handle the install. The TL wiring is nothing special as with the higher end alarm installs are going on cars like BMW,BENZ. It all depends on the alarm shops you go to & who is doing the work. Remeber guys my TL was new when I got mine back then but many of the guys with 1999 & very early 2000 TLs on the older TL forum had the Clifford system install. As with the cars changing designs so do the aftermarket alarm systems like. When I got mine 4yrs ago the Clifford G4 systems were new Now they have the G5 systems.As to the question about the installers knowing of the cars. When I got my install done the shop owner told me they had to go to school to learn who to install the Cliffords. He told me also they had great tech support from the company. Clifford is now owned by DEI they make viper & other alarm systems but Clifford is on the higher end.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:22 AM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

NOX 3.2, Do you have the auto taser alarm and compustar??
Old 01-05-2004, 02:04 PM
NO BP FUEL IN MY

How much does the Compustar go for??