Sponsored by:

NYC opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NYC opinions needed

Hi All,
I am posting here for the first time (long time lurker). I am thinking of going for the TL. The thing is this... I keep an apartment in NYC (UWS) and currently park on the street when I am there. I currently spend about 30% of my free time there. The rest of the time is split between central NJ and business travel. My office is also in NJ.

Anyway, if I go for the TL, I am wondering how people think it will fare parked in the city in the UWS (just below Morningside near the park).

My SUV has been hit by a bus (fixed) and has had other minor dings that I expected... and I went to the SUV because my Civic EX hadn't held up well at all in the city...

This is really 2 questions: Will my TL hold up in the city street parking, and will anyone try and jack it? My roommates Jeep has been, and do has a neighbors Audi.
I am lucky, nobody wants my lame GM, but they may want my TL.
Thoughts please?
Old 09-06-2006, 07:33 AM
Advanced

parkin

Well to be honest my car is park on street as well. My car has been hitted many time on the bumpers by some idiots to the point I dont care any more. If you are living in the city like me, you just have to deal with it. People just do not respect other properties period!!1
Old 09-06-2006, 08:11 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't park a TL on the streets for an extended period of time
Old 09-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well in my honest opinion...

No

I'm living 5 minutes from the city right accross the GWB (not in morristown) happily driving my car to work in NJ every day. I've had my 05 TL for a little over a year now... and been living in new apartment for about 5 months. Besides all the obvious reasons to live in the NY versus NJ, I couldn't stand to have my car living on the street 24/7. The cost for a parking spot is stupid too, and just wasn't worth the hassle in the end.

You've got all the proof there yourself. Your car hit by 'professional driver', your room mate and neighbor's car stolen, and so on. The only time my car has been damaged was me parked in the city on the street, (wrestling down the road with limo drivers), or when the lot attendant drove my car out in a cloud of my clutch he just burnt through.

As much as I love this car.... ugh, I can only image how much potential crap will go on. And, Acura Manhattan somehow managed to screw up my navi twice.

Any other questions?
Old 09-06-2006, 08:18 AM
Racer

Don't leave it on the street period, then you don't have to worry about being jack. I leave my TL at a parking lot and it still have scratches/dings on it. Getting to a point that I don't care anymore too..
Old 09-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Upper West Side... near Columbia University... Parking is very scarce in that area I would assume. If you're buying a brand new car that you care about... I would suggest that you don't park in the street. Your bumpers are definitely going to get jack'd up. Like "kin12345" said, people don't give a shit about other people's property... You also run the risk of the car getting stolen since the stock wheels do fit the Accord... I've seen plenty of Accords with them installed already in that area. I would strongly suggest you don't park in the street period...
Old 09-06-2006, 08:29 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I recently moved to Queens, NY and was forced to park on the street. The second night I left it there, some fucker keyed it from the rear gas cap to my front fender. Ever since then I spend the extra $$ in getting a garage. Bottom line is that people don't give a shit about your car. So if you are going to buy a NEW car, park it in a safe place like a garage.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:18 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks everyone for your opinion.

I think I may wait until I move to NJ next year to buy the new car. I curently park my 2004 SUV on the street in front of my apartment when I am in NYC (the parking is pretty good where I am, and it does have its dings/ dents (and hit by a bus like I mentioned earlier).

I really love the TL, and I am making a move to a new company in Morristown, which increases my commute by >20 miles a day... I don't want the SUV anymore because of this (gas guzzler- I already fill it up 2x a week)

If I do end up getting the TL, I have a feeling I will spend even less time at my NYC apartment... I will let you all know what I decide.

Also, does anyone have the clear bra on, and does it help with all of the bumper scratches?

Thanks again everyone...
Old 09-06-2006, 09:25 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
I'm on the UES and pay approx $300/month for the garage in my building so I can sleep at night. There are a few TL's parked on the street in my neighborhood, a white one in particular with Nav and a wood kit for over a year and a ½ now that has very few dings.

Dings are still a part of NYC life, especially license plate bolt 'ring' dings on your rear bumper, garage or no garage. However, after 2 1/3 years, I'm still virtually ding free as I have the most protected 3G TL in existence....3M paint protection film (clear bra) on both bumpers, a 5/8" thick moulding across the rear bumper, 3M paint protection film on both the doors and on the body side mouldings, custom 3M fenderwell trims, and custom 3M door edge moulding that's pliable & is installed along the entire edges of all 4 doors including the bottom length of the front doors for protection from opening the door next to a curb that's too high, and doesn't chip like the painted crap from Acura, etc. And just for NYC roads, I have bottom out protection under the rocker panels in the form of that bumper moulding you see on some cars, approx 2-3" wide with ribs.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...80&postcount=9 Looks better in person though.

PM me if you're interested in seeing my car, we can also talk theft protection.
The guy who did it all is known as Pinstripe Pete, 914-318-9927. He does all the custom moulding and clear bra work for Curry and most of the new car dealers in the Bronx and Westchester.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:34 AM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
You may want to look into buying bulk 3m film. See if you can ppf the doors and bumpers. Your car will be impervious to everything

actually, I think theres one guy from NY here who went all out on the protection for his TL, forget who though...
Old 09-06-2006, 11:45 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Originally Posted by leedogg
You may want to look into buying bulk 3m film. See if you can ppf the doors and bumpers. Your car will be impervious to everything

actually, I think theres one guy from NY here who went all out on the protection for his TL, forget who though...
Read my post above, that was me.

Speaking from experience, I highly recommend buying the 3M film from whomever's gonna do the installation. You'll have less BS to go through if a problem arises.

In the end, there's no great saving buying in bulk just for your car. The installer will have to custom cut the pieces to fit the car anyway.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:20 PM
3rd Gear

I live in Queens. Luckily I have a driveway and parking in front of my house is decent. I took the TL out this weekend to Brooklyn and made my best effort to park it away other vehicles. When I park in, say a mall parking lot, I park the TL awayyyyyyy from other cars. Don't care if I have to walk. When I go to the city I plan to park in a parking lot.

I can't imagine parking on the street in NYC. My Mazda 3 is all scratched up in the back from parking in the city.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:32 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DMZ
I'm on the UES and pay approx $300/month for the garage in my building so I can sleep at night. There are a few TL's parked on the street in my neighborhood, a white one in particular with Nav and a wood kit for over a year and a ½ now that has very few dings.

Dings are still a part of NYC life, especially license plate bolt 'ring' dings on your rear bumper, garage or no garage. However, after 2 1/3 years, I'm still virtually ding free as I have the most protected 3G TL in existence....3M paint protection film (clear bra) on both bumpers, a 5/8" thick moulding across the rear bumper, 3M paint protection film on both the doors and on the body side mouldings, custom 3M fenderwell trims, and custom 3M door edge moulding that's pliable & is installed along the entire edges of all 4 doors including the bottom length of the front doors for protection from opening the door next to a curb that's too high, and doesn't chip like the painted crap from Acura, etc. And just for NYC roads, I have bottom out protection under the rocker panels in the form of that bumper moulding you see on some cars, approx 2-3" wide with ribs.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...80&postcount=9 Looks better in person though.

PM me if you're interested in seeing my car, we can also talk theft protection.
The guy who did it all is known as Pinstripe Pete, 914-318-9927. He does all the custom moulding and clear bra work for Curry and most of the new car dealers in the Bronx and Westchester.
How much did the above cost you?
Old 09-06-2006, 02:18 PM
VS#03

Check out lorenzotint.com we do 3M clearbra installations and full customize tint with microedging and moleskin. Also Lorenzo can create freehand customize 3m clearbra patterns for your TL. On my TL......I have a extended a customize top hood section which cover more of the hood and top of the fenders. Also a custom free hand cut front fender pattern and rear fender sections for protection from the rocks. The 3m clearbra has been on my car for 2yrs and not one problem. That was the best and important investment that I've purchase for the TL.