Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob looking for some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
I didn't mean 80 MPG. It meant that 80% of my driving is highway, 20 % is city. 80/20.

Sorry, I don't know why I read it that way. I think all the blood went to my stomach.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by burntrat

Sorry, I don't know why I read it that way. I think all the blood went to my stomach.
It happens.

I drive about 40-45K miles a year so I monitor my MPG closely. It is one of the reasons I went with the TL. I had an Infiniti I35 before this and I get about 10-15% better mileage with the TL. I wasn't ready to get a Hybrid.

If you want to know if it is your car or just your style of driving I suggest you go on a highway only road trip. Drive out 100 miles or so and back. Calculate your MPG's. It should be 25-29 depending on speed.
The following users liked this post:
burntrat (10-30-2011)
Old 10-27-2011, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

Just for the record, best I have ever gotten with my '04 manual TL was 27.98 for a work week of in-town work commuting during the summer. Best highway was 33.94 on a road trip in the summer with the A/C running the entire time. I can elaborate on the conditions if needed but as you can see from the decimal fractions, these were carefully calculated figures, not from the MID.
burntrat (11-07-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 02:43 PM
Instructor

It happens.

I drive about 40-45K miles a year so I monitor my MPG closely. It is one of the reasons I went with the TL. I had an Infiniti I35 before this and I get about 10-15% better mileage with the TL. I wasn't ready to get a Hybrid.

If you want to know if it is your car or just your style of driving I suggest you go on a highway only road trip. Drive out 100 miles or so and back. Calculate your MPG's. It should be 25-29 depending on speed.
Wow 40-45k a year? I don't think I'll even drive that much in 10 years.

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Just for the record, best I have ever gotten with my '04 manual TL was 27.98 for a work week of in-town work commuting during the summer. Best highway was 33.94 on a road trip in the summer with the A/C running the entire time. I can elaborate on the conditions if needed but as you can see from the decimal fractions, these were carefully calculated figures, not from the MID.
Those seem to be pretty good numbers. My numbers on the MID are getting worse. Currently getting 14MPG with light accelerating and braking.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Clear the MID and starty over with the good gas. Expect worse mpg if you have a moderate to heavy foot. If you have a light foot the trip cpu will reflect that. Put 35psi in your tires too. But lets be serious. We didnt buy a sport sedan for its good mpg but rather good power whether its a 3.2 ot 3.5L V-6.
burntrat (10-30-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 04:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Clear the MID and starty over with the good gas. Expect worse mpg if you have a moderate to heavy foot. If you have a light foot the trip cpu will reflect that. Put 35psi in your tires too. But lets be serious. We didnt buy a sport sedan for its good mpg but rather good power whether its a 3.2 ot 3.5L V-6.
I've cleared it a bunch of times after filling with premium. Yeah, I didn't buy the TL thinking it'll get prius miles, but it's just weird that I got 18 MPG when I first started driving it. Now I'm at 14 MPG. I just started driving slow like I first got the car. Hopefully it'll increase. Put in 35 PSI? I thought the recommended level was 33/32.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:02 PM
Banned

I've cleared it a bunch of times after filling with premium. Yeah, I didn't buy the TL thinking it'll get prius miles, but it's just weird that I got 18 MPG when I first started driving it. Now I'm at 14 MPG. I just started driving slow like I first got the car. Hopefully it'll increase. Put in 35 PSI? I thought the recommended level was 33/32.
I know whats recommended bro. put 35psi in.
burntrat (10-31-2011)
Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone said this or not but keep in mind that your tire pressure will vary when your tires are warm/cold. Your best bet is to check them cold and inflate accordingly.

I like running somewhere around 35/36 front and 33/34 rear. My logic there is less weight in the rear and it helps the rear tread make contact to the road similar to the front with the load of the engine pushing down.

Opinions on tire pressure are like opinions on oil or spark plugs, they are going to vary....

The TPMS reading is pretty accurate IMO, I check mine about once a month and when I adjust them the pressure display always matches what the gauge did when I filled them.
burntrat (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Team Owner

I know whats recommended bro. put 35psi in.
I recommend 34-35 PSI as well. For me it helps with the flat spotting and the MPG's. And you really do not feel the difference or wear the tires incorrectly.

Have you tried taking it out of the city for a highway only trip yet?
burntrat (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 08:07 AM
Team Owner

Wow 40-45k a year? I don't think I'll even drive that much in 10 years.

Cars are made to be driven. I commute 70-75 miles each way for work and do a lot of business travel as well. Spend a lot of time in my car. We also have an 03 Pathfinder and that gets about 8K - 9K miles a year. By next March I would pass the Pathfinder in miles.
burntrat (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 12:37 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

Cars are made to be driven. I commute 70-75 miles each way for work and do a lot of business travel as well. Spend a lot of time in my car. We also have an 03 Pathfinder and that gets about 8K - 9K miles a year. By next March I would pass the Pathfinder in miles.
Hell yeah, drive that biotch just as it was intended to be!

I put 5K on mine since late August.
burntrat (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 02:20 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Really? When I asked the manager at the dealership, he said regular is fine. When my brother had an 03 tl all he did was put in regular, but he was a cheapskate though. Sorry, but premium is what now? The next step up or the highest? As you can see, I don't know squat.

Originally Posted by geekybiker
The manager is a moron.

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Tire pressure
Checking fuel mileage
Fuel tank level
Premium vs regular fuel
Thank you.. glad to see some of us still have patience.

Nitrogen? Can I get that at my local gas stop?
Since air is roughly 78% nitrogen, yes.
burntrat (10-31-2011)
Old 10-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Instructor

I recommend 34-35 PSI as well. For me it helps with the flat spotting and the MPG's. And you really do not feel the difference or wear the tires incorrectly.

Have you tried taking it out of the city for a highway only trip yet?
I'll put in more air and see if that improves the mileage.

I haven't had a chance to get on the highways yet. I think I still need more experience driving before I get there. Soon as I feel more comfortable on the road and I have reason to travel far, I'll hit the highways.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Man you guys are awesome. I've started to hit 18 MPG on the trip computer. Mostly 17 MPG. I'll do some testing over the next few weeks and see how accurate the trip computer is. The premium is awesome stuff. Acceleration feels a lot smoother. Should I still do the ECU reset and risk some mile dropage? I'm pretty happy with 18 MPG. If I get even higher, I'd be ecstatic.

As I was filling up, I tried to attach the gas cap leash to the lid and I failed. I found the correct area, but how do I insert it without breaking off a prong?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Banned

Man you guys are awesome. I've started to hit 18 MPG on the trip computer. Mostly 17 MPG. I'll do some testing over the next few weeks and see how accurate the trip computer is. The premium is awesome stuff. Acceleration feels a lot smoother. Should I still do the ECU reset and risk some mile dropage? I'm pretty happy with 18 MPG. If I get even higher, I'd be ecstatic.

As I was filling up, I tried to attach the gas cap leash to the lid and I failed. I found the correct area, but how do I insert it without breaking off a prong?
Resetting ecu will only make mpg even better. I'm glad you saw the gains i assured you would get from filling tires to 35psi w/ good gas. Resetting ecu will allow the car to relearn your driving habits with the 91+ octane fuel. Switching to hondas 0w-20 oil which is synthetic will help mpg as well. Myself and others that live on the coast or plains see 34-35mpg on highway. Mixed driving I see avg of 20mpg and that's with 80% city/ 20% hwy driving.
burntrat (11-05-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Resetting ecu will only make mpg even better. I'm glad you saw the gains i assured you would get from filling tires to 35psi w/ good gas. Resetting ecu will allow the car to relearn your driving habits with the 91+ octane fuel. Switching to hondas 0w-20 oil which is synthetic will help mpg as well. Myself and others that live on the coast or plains see 34-35mpg on highway. Mixed driving I see avg of 20mpg and that's with 80% city/ 20% hwy driving.
Really? I was going through one of those resetting ecu threads and few of the members said their MPG dropped 2-3. If I hadn't read that, I would've definitely done it. Thanks for the tips.

My Oil is at 90% according to the MID. Should I change it now or wait til it drops a lot more?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:19 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Really? I was going through one of those resetting ecu threads and few of the members said their MPG dropped 2-3. If I hadn't read that, I would've definitely done it. Thanks for the tips.

My Oil is at 90% according to the MID. Should I change it now or wait til it drops a lot more?
Thats because many complained about how sluggish the car drove etc etc, and when they did the reset the car was more responsive, so according to the owner's "butt" dyno the car felt more powerful and in such many drove their TLs harder. Just like ParaSurfer said, reset it an let it relearn YOUR driving habits. Car's these days adapt or "learn" how you drive, altering shift points, pedal response, etc.

As for the MID, if it's at 90% and that's fresh oil, no need to change it till you get down to ~ 15%. Some people range from 5-20%... i've seen 0% in some cars lol
burntrat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-05-2011, 04:14 PM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Just got it filled with premium at sunoco. There was an Ultra Octane I think. Am I not ready for that and just stick with premium? From the (light on) empty to full, I filled about 12.xx gallons. I thought it was supposed to be more so I forced it like 3-5 times to 13.xx gallons. Is that ok? It felt like I could keep filling it drop by drop. All in all, paid about $47, less than I originally thought.
ohh snaps only 47 for a full tank. I miss that lol its like 60+ by me haha

I pump my tires up to 40 not sure if a lot of people do that but it helps on the gas a little bit.
burntrat (11-07-2011)
Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Acura_Dude
Thats because many complained about how sluggish the car drove etc etc, and when they did the reset the car was more responsive, so according to the owner's "butt" dyno the car felt more powerful and in such many drove their TLs harder. Just like ParaSurfer said, reset it an let it relearn YOUR driving habits. Car's these days adapt or "learn" how you drive, altering shift points, pedal response, etc.

As for the MID, if it's at 90% and that's fresh oil, no need to change it till you get down to ~ 15%. Some people range from 5-20%... i've seen 0% in some cars lol
I think I'll reset my ecu after a week. I'm currently testing to see how much accurate my trip computer is with calculating MPG. Hopefully it'll be better after the reset.

Originally Posted by pjillta
ohh snaps only 47 for a full tank. I miss that lol its like 60+ by me haha

I pump my tires up to 40 not sure if a lot of people do that but it helps on the gas a little bit.
Wow 60?, man how much is premium there? I'm a little scared to have my tires at 40 psi. I think the max for my tires are like 42. I think once the tires get warmed up, it'll pass the max limit. I don't want to find out what happens when I reach the limit. I'm guessing all my tires just explode then I drive on the rims causing a nice light show.

------

I finally had to chance to air my baby out on the highway. I was doing 60-80mph. Fast for me, slow for everyone but me. I noticed everyone was cutting me up. I was expecting some better mileage up, but I topped at 20 MPG. I don't get how some people were getting 30+MPG when I can't even hit 26 MPG.