Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NJ Window Tint Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Let's Go Pens

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NJ Window Tint Question

I know there are a ton of window tint questions and i'm sure this one has been answered before but couldn't find the answer I was really looking for. I'm changing from Virginia registration/plates/insurance all to New Jersey soon. The only holdup right now is my window tint. I have 2 automobiles (TL-S and Envoy suv) which have limo tint on all the rears and 20% on the front windows. Virginia does allow this dark of tint but it's not mandated through inspection so you can pass with any tint you choose. I know from searching that NJ mandates tints through inspection and will fail you with tint on your front windows.

Does anyone have any idea where I might be able to pass inspection at a private facility? I also know NJ allows for a medical "Sun Shading" waiver but can't seem to find any information on this. I can get a waiver signed through my eye doctor, but will it even help in my case, because of the 20%? I know with virginia you can have a waiver but it will only allow for like 35% on the front windows.

Any suggestion or information someone can help me with would be most appreciated. I'm hoping to have my plates and registration done this week and don't really want to have to go the pain in the ass route of having to remove the tint from my windows and then have it put back on after the inspection. Also, is it true that NJ inspections are for 2 years?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
First, yes, NJ inspection is for 2 years. Having someone pass the car with tint isn't really going to help, as in some areas, the police will stop you and issue a ticket for the tint regardless of the valid inspection. My suggestion is to remove the tint, and it will keep the police off your case.

Here's something written by a police officer:
Technically, tinted windows ARE LEGAL. There is no statute that prohibits tinted windows. There are some statutes, as you see from the replies, that may contain wording which may be interpreted to apply to window tint. It is for that reason that some judges apply the wording to mean tint while others do not. As a result, you have some PDs that enforce it while others do not. There are appelate cases that have been decided in favor of the defendant while there are other cases that have accepted the tint to be a probable cause violation and justification for a stop.

The NJ Traffic Officers Association has, throughout the years, tried to lobby for legislation that would outright make window tinting illegal but has not succeeded so far.

Finally, just because something fails you at the inspection station does not mean that it is illegal. You may fail for emmissions, bad suspension etc yet you would not write a ticket for it.

None of the statutes mentioned in the thread, 3-74, 3-75, 3-77 or 4-58 come even close to being applicable. Just read the wording and you will see. I might go along with a case of very heavy tint and in the middle of the night but other than that, the statutes are all stuff we try to use to write the tint. Don't get me wrong. Our judge finds them guilty and so we write them too, but a good lawyer would have you out of that ticket in no time flat. Our saving grace is that most people don't wanna spend a couple thousand dollars to appeal a $50, no point ticket.

Here's another one if you want to do some reading:
A similar discussion about window tint has been ongoing in the restricted forum. One of the participants posted the case law regarding tint being illegal, see it at http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/decisi...02-00.opn.html (State vs. Joel H. Cohen) decided by the appelate division court in 2002.

According to this case law decision, tint is illegal and this includes vehicles registered out-of-state that come into NJ. While there is no statute that specifically says tint prohibited, 39:3-74 is the statute upheld in this case.

WELCOME TO JERSEY!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:03 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
First, yes, NJ inspection is for 2 years.

WELCOME TO JERSEY!
That's some good information.

Your car's inspection should be good for 4 years from purchase, 2 years after that. I just bought a used TL and did not have to get it inspected but it was an in-state transaction if that matters.

Adding to the misconceptions of tinting, I heard there was an allowable percentage of tint. After reading the above mentioned articles, that was not mentioned.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by beezer86
Your car's inspection should be good for 4 years from purchase, 2 years after that. I just bought a used TL and did not have to get it inspected but it was an in-state transaction if that matters.

If the vehicle is new and registered in NJ, the inspection is good for 4 years, but if it is brought in from another state, it will be a 2 year cycle regardless of age.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:28 AM
Let's Go Pens

Thanks Turbonut. I've been in Jersey for 7 years and all my cars have had the same tint % and so far no trouble with the police but of course I was running with VA Plates so that might be part of the reason I didn't get pulled. I'm not even worried about the police to be honest with you, I have enough pull with family in the court system and police departments that it's not a big deal if I get a ticket for something as minor as window tint. I'll probably even just pay the fine (It's only $50?) and not worry about asking a personal favor. I bought my cars from a NJ dealer but had them inspected in Virginia because that's where they are registered. Since i'm soon going to be registering them in NJ my VA inspection will no longer be valid and I have 14 days after registering to get a NJ inspection. I know that NJ has inspection stations and I wonder if I just pull in with all my windows down if I could be so lucky to pass inspection, because honestly they should have no reason to put them up. I thank you for all the legal insight and it was much appreciated, however, keeping the window tint off my windows is not an option as it just helps give my car personality and If I have to pay $50 a week to have window tint bc the police have nothing better to do then that's what I'll do, lol.

I'm just looking for someone who knows of a shop who will slap an inspection sticker on without any questions. I'd rather not involve family etc. over something like this because they always put their two cents in and it doesn't really matter becuase it's not their car. But anyway, if anyone knows of where I can get my car inspected I'd appreciate it. Otherwise I'll just have the damn tint removed and put it back on after they slap the sticker on.

Ahhh, the great garden state.... haha
Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,917 Likes on 4,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Evader

Ahhh, the great GREEDY state.... haha

Fixed.

Run.......before it's too late........run, and don't look back.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:03 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
NJ Tint Shops

If anyone knows of a goot tint shop in Central NJ (North/South Brunswick/Princeton), please post.

I know the car would probably look better fully tinted, but will probably just do the rear doors and passenger window to keep the police off my back.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:16 AM
99 Acura TL

If that is your TL in your avatar I hope you know NJ requires a front license plate.

I got my old Maxima from Florida where they do not require a license plate on the front bumper so there was no bracket there for one when I got the car. Nissan dealer got me for $115.00 bucks for one piece of black plastic
Old 08-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Racer

if you buy a brand new car in new jersey the first inspection is 4 years, i dont know if they will give you a two year or 4 year,
Old 08-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by nollid
If that is your TL in your avatar I hope you know NJ requires a front license plate.

I got my old Maxima from Florida where they do not require a license plate on the front bumper so there was no bracket there for one when I got the car. Nissan dealer got me for $115.00 bucks for one piece of black plastic

Yes that's my TL in the picture. In virginia we also require a front plate, however, it looks like shit. Whenever I drove to down to VA (usually once a month) I just have the plate sitting on my dash in the corner of my winshield and so far no problems. The 3rd Gen TL doesn't require a license plate bracket, it has "plugs" you remove from the bumper to attach the plate. I prefer the clean look. (I know i'm not the only rebel here)Hmmm, I'm beginning to wonder if I should just keep my car registered in VA as long as possible.

Another question, how do personalized plates work up here? I know it's a $50 one time feel plus registrations costs. I don't see too many up here and was wondering on the # of letters spaces you are allowed.

I better be able to keep my personalized plates

STYLN-TL (TL-S)
ATLBRVE (Envoy)
Old 08-27-2007, 08:18 PM
99 Acura TL

Ya I know. I would rather do without the front plates just saying.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 AM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,917 Likes on 4,316 Posts
Originally Posted by Evader
Yes that's my TL in the picture. In virginia we also require a front plate, however, it looks like shit. Whenever I drove to down to VA (usually once a month) I just have the plate sitting on my dash in the corner of my winshield and so far no problems. The 3rd Gen TL doesn't require a license plate bracket, it has "plugs" you remove from the bumper to attach the plate. I prefer the clean look. (I know i'm not the only rebel here)Hmmm, I'm beginning to wonder if I should just keep my car registered in VA as long as possible.

Another question, how do personalized plates work up here? I know it's a $50 one time feel plus registrations costs. I don't see too many up here and was wondering on the # of letters spaces you are allowed.

I better be able to keep my personalized plates

STYLN-TL (TL-S)
ATLBRVE (Envoy)
Personalized plates - See them all the time. Why would there be a problem?

No front plate - You'll definitely be pulled over here in NJ.

What's the down side to registering in VA, if you can do it legally?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Let's Go Pens

Originally Posted by pttl
Personalized plates - See them all the time. Why would there be a problem?

No front plate - You'll definitely be pulled over here in NJ.

What's the down side to registering in VA, if you can do it legally?

I have not been pulled over yet in NJ and i've been up here for about 6 years. I have a residence in Virginia so I use that as my address and my insurance covers me in both locations. It's not about them being a problem, I just wasnt't sure how many letters NJ allows for personalized plates.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Suzuka Master

We have personalized/vanity plates on all 3 of our cars. I believe 7 characters max, but must contain 3 letters with a one time charge of $50, plus the normal registration fee.

As above, I wouldn't ride around Jersey without a front plate..........Ask my son!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 PM
TL SL ML :)

Originally Posted by cbptls
If anyone knows of a goot tint shop in Central NJ (North/South Brunswick/Princeton), please post.

I know the car would probably look better fully tinted, but will probably just do the rear doors and passenger window to keep the police off my back.
There's a really good tint shop in Edison called The Tint Shop...he does a lot of work for Ray Catena customer cars (Mercedes, Porsche, Lexus, etc.) and Ray Catena's personal yachts.

He uses 3M and Madico I believe, give him a ring.

The Tint Shop
848 US Highway 1
Edison, NJ 08817
(732) 650-9100