Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New2006 Lexus GS

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New2006 Lexus GS

Check out the website. It is $10,000 more than our TL-somehow, I think TL looks better for money!
Old 03-02-2005, 08:15 PM
Instructor

I have to disagree. The new GS models looks extremely hot. The interior is very nice. Obviously everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
GS is far sexier in person. I saw one on a carrier valentines day. I wanted one of those more than the TL but didn't want a used one and couldn't afford a new one.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:34 PM
jz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just saw the TV ad while watching 'The West Wing'. It looks HOT.

Big coin though.

JZ
Old 03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
Racer

Why Blue Lights You #$%^ers!!!

Stick With White Lexfoz
Old 03-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
GS or IS...

Here's the TL's real competition, the new IS. Notice the similarities? I wonder how Honda will respond to this?

Old 03-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1,016 Likes on 577 Posts
Originally Posted by kosh2258
Here's the TL's real competition, the new IS. Notice the similarities? I wonder how Honda will respond to this?
Whatever it is, it probably won't be noticed for a couple of years. There's only so much you can do between major redesigns, like tail lights and headlights, but I know we all eagerly await the time when we can see what the 2006's look like.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Instructor

I never really considered the IS to be in the same class as the TL. On paper it makes much more sense to compare the IS to the TSX. Atleast for the IS's sake.

I'm sure the next TSX won't be anything to overlook.

And is it bad to say that the back ofthe new IS reminds me more of the current Corrola then anything else?
Old 03-04-2005, 03:21 PM
Racer

I think the new IS300 is HAWT! Very nice interior like the TL. It comes with the smart access with a push button start. You dont even need a key to start the car. Plus its a Lexus, the most reputable brand out there when it comes to reliability.

There is speculation of what the powerplant will be. Some say two engines. 3.0L V6 245HP and a 3.5L V6 280+V6 (might be even more with direct injection). But no one knows for sure until the New York Auto show which is schedule at the end of March.

I will most likely get the next generation IS300.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:29 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
If next gen IS could provide better engine with AWD model, I may be interested in it, too...
Old 03-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

That looks real nice!
Old 03-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Advanced

The gs is HOT. I would buy one but i wasnt able to afford it so i got whats best out there for 35k. I priced out a fully loaded gs and it came to about 50k. A fully loaded BMW with same features will be 60-65k. The GS is one of the hottest looking cars in its class period.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Lexus GS looks amazing in person...saw at car show. However, like BMW & Audi, it has raised the base price $5,000, so now it takes $50,000 to get a fully equipped V6 GS, not to mention what the V8 runs now.

Although on paper its similar to a TL, the Lexus name and look take it one class above.

The IS concept looks outstanding...but unless its much bigger inside than before, its not a proper match-up for the TL either. Great job though, Lexus.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:58 PM
Dr. Feelgood

I saw the new gs at the dealer about a week and a half ago. It looks nice from the front, but the rear isn't very apealing IMO. It reminds me of the rear of the new accord coupe/ maxima. I like lexus, but their paint job is terrible! My fiance and I were looking at the new rx and Gl and I noticed there were bubbles on the paint of the hood. I expect more for a $46K automobile. The paint is a very big issue that I have with Toyota. I've owned a few of their products in the past and was hoping they'd take care of the problem already.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:19 PM
2004 TL w/ 6MT & Navi

Originally Posted by vtecracer
I never really considered the IS to be in the same class as the TL. On paper it makes much more sense to compare the IS to the TSX. Atleast for the IS's sake.

I'm sure the next TSX won't be anything to overlook.

And is it bad to say that the back ofthe new IS reminds me more of the current Corrola then anything else?
I agree. And for $50k, I think I'd rather have an RL than a GS.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:19 PM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLTony
I saw the new gs at the dealer about a week and a half ago. It looks nice from the front, but the rear isn't very apealing IMO. It reminds me of the rear of the new accord coupe/ maxima. I like lexus, but their paint job is terrible! My fiance and I were looking at the new rx and Gl and I noticed there were bubbles on the paint of the hood. I expect more for a $46K automobile. The paint is a very big issue that I have with Toyota. I've owned a few of their products in the past and was hoping they'd take care of the problem already.

The paint job on my TL sucks as well. All of my previous cars have had better paint jobs with fewer/no imperfections whats-so-ever.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:25 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

What's up with the cars all ripping off each other. The new GS is aight... from the back corner...looks a lot like a car created by a manufacturer who's name starts with an N... and rhymes with E-san
Old 03-04-2005, 05:27 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by JDM5lugHatch
The paint job on my TL sucks as well. All of my previous cars have had better paint jobs with fewer/no imperfections whats-so-ever.
Were your previous cars Toyota. You may think your Tl paint job sucks, but does it chip to the bare metal and rust after a year? Both my Tundra and Lexus ES300 I had, which was bought new, chipped easily and rusted. I saw blemishes on my ES that shouldn't be there for a $38K auto. I have no complaints regarding paint job on my TL. My dad has a '95 Accord which my brother is using now and I've yet to see any rust. Even my fiance's 5 year old Maxima, with all the dents on it, doesn't have rust on it. Now if we were talking reliability, that's another story.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:42 PM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by BiggyMcWang
What's up with the cars all ripping off each other. The new GS is aight... from the back corner...looks a lot like a car created by a manufacturer who's name starts with an N... and rhymes with E-san
The picture is an IS... front kinda looks like a Mazda 6
Old 03-05-2005, 10:08 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Twenties
Lexus GS looks amazing in person...saw at car show. However, like BMW & Audi, it has raised the base price $5,000, so now it takes $50,000 to get a fully equipped V6 GS, not to mention what the V8 runs now.

Although on paper its similar to a TL, the Lexus name and look take it one class above.

The IS concept looks outstanding...but unless its much bigger inside than before, its not a proper match-up for the TL either. Great job though, Lexus.

On paper it's similar to a TL, but the Lexus name and look takes it one class above. I don't think so. I do think the GS is more compararble to an RL than our TL's but it has nothing to do with the name plate. An Acura is just as much respected as a Lexus in the automotive world. When I say the automotive world I'm talking about people who know what they are driving why they chose that car and is very aware of what the competition offers. That goes from the automakers themselves, editors of various car magazines on down to the enthusiaist on this site as well as many other sites. However I am not refering to the house wife that drives a $70,000 7 Series and doesen't even know the model. All they know is "I drive a BMW AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTER" very snobish. I would expect that kind of comment from someone like that but not from an enthusiast on an aotomotive site.

Now don't get me wrong. There are cars out here that puts more work and craftmanship into their cars than Acura. Like Bentley, Maybach, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Maserati just to name a few. Lexus is not in this class. It is in a class with Acura, some Mercedes(not the SLR), BMW, Infiniti just to name a few.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Shaqs2000TL
I have to disagree. The new GS models looks extremely hot. The interior is very nice. Obviously everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
I agree it is pretty attractive but am I the only one on here that think it resembles the current Nissan Maxima?
Old 03-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Airline jet aircraft tech

I see some 05 Grand Prix and Mazda 6 in the body lines.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:32 AM
USDM UA5 A-Spec

Originally Posted by sufall96
I agree it is pretty attractive but am I the only one on here that think it resembles the current Nissan Maxima?
Actually, I meant the Nissan Altima, but those two do resemble each other too.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
check out the Automotive News forum

This thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127535

has some really good information on the IS350. I think it will be a nice contender to the TL, it looks slightly bigger, and more power, so I think they are moving the IS up a class level
Old 03-05-2005, 01:51 PM
9.5+10.5 22m=Hella Flush

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kosh2258

Rear of the IS300

Rear of the Mazda 3

Don't they look somewhat similiar!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Instructor

Holly Crap!
Old 03-05-2005, 04:14 PM
Advanced

The old IS300 never quite did the trick at it's $30K sticker with a crappy tranny, old platform, and poky performance. I suspect they'll solve most everything except the performance end as I understand. Better quality than Acura but still no dice. The GS is FAR better equipped to do battle with the M45 and RL.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Cruisin'

Took a good look at the '06 GS today at Ray Catena's in Eatontown.

Looks like a Maxima from the rear...somehwat like the old version from the front....side view looks the best IMHO

I have to say, the interior is beautiful...Not a bad job on the restyle but I am a bid surprised the V8 still rated at 300hp when many manufactureres are offering 315, 335, 345, 400 hr etc for the V8's

The sticker killed me....$45, 669....WOW

I just cannot see spending that for a 245hp six...
Old 03-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts
I checked out one as well. Super nice car.. But it's in a different price bracket all together. If they were the same price, well then I'd probably be on a different message forum..
Old 03-05-2005, 05:22 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think from the rear that new IS pic looks a bit like the new Hyundai Sonata, which, I might add, isn't a bad looking car. Looks more classically styled like the 2G TL. Anyway, I saw the new GS in person at the auto show in Ft Worth and it was gorgeous. Wifey said "Meh."
Old 03-05-2005, 05:23 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The new GS interior (hell, even the old one) is a 10+.
Old 03-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
With looks like that, Acura has nothing to worry about. It's just too angular. The TL is pleasantly curvy and sexy. The Lexus looks confused, as if it doesn't know who it should copy.

TL-Rocket
'04 TL SSM/Ebony/6MT/HPT/NAVI
Old 03-07-2005, 07:19 PM
Automobile Aficionado

Talking

Originally Posted by sufall96
On paper it's similar to a TL, but the Lexus name and look takes it one class above. I don't think so. I do think the GS is more compararble to an RL than our TL's but it has nothing to do with the name plate. An Acura is just as much respected as a Lexus in the automotive world. . . . I would expect that kind of comment from someone like that but not from an enthusiast on an aotomotive site. Now don't get me wrong. There are cars out here that puts more work and craftmanship into their cars than Acura. Like Bentley, Maybach, Rolls Royce, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Lamborghini, Bugatti, Maserati just to name a few. Lexus is not in this class. It is in a class with Acura, some Mercedes(not the SLR), BMW, Infiniti just to name a few.

Ha! You are kidding right? An Acura is just as much respected as a Lexus? Which model Acura would that be?

Truth be told I love Acuras and I chose it because I am informed and know its strengths (many) and its price (relative bargain).

I also prefer Acura's handling and responsiveness (strong, spirited, and tight) to that of many Lexus models I've driven . . . including GS 300 and SC 430 (not exciting cars to drive...underwhelmed by both acceleration, sensation of power, and handling). Not to mention the price. But, Lexus still has Acura beat on interior design and amenities....although the TL is the best Acura interior/amenities to date. Even on Exterior design, Lexus GS has TL beat.

All said I'd still choose the Acura, for the money. . .
Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
Licking Platters Clean

I drove the new GS330 AWD last Friday. That thing handles like a frigging BOAT compared to the TL. The interior is a bit boring Toyota style as well.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Twenties
Ha! You are kidding right? An Acura is just as much respected as a Lexus? Which model Acura would that be?

Truth be told I love Acuras and I chose it because I am informed and know its strengths (many) and its price (relative bargain).

I also prefer Acura's handling and responsiveness (strong, spirited, and tight) to that of many Lexus models I've driven . . . including GS 300 and SC 430 (not exciting cars to drive...underwhelmed by both acceleration, sensation of power, and handling). Not to mention the price. But, Lexus still has Acura beat on interior design and amenities....although the TL is the best Acura interior/amenities to date. Even on Exterior design, Lexus GS has TL beat.

All said I'd still choose the Acura, for the money. . .

Ask yourself this. Is Audi respected as much as Lexus. What about Jaguar. or even Infiniti. It's about what you think. Not the joe blow who knows nothing about cars and just hears Lexus name and go oooooooooooo! I'm talking about someone that is aware of what these cars offer rather than a street reputation. Is it because Lexus has a $70,000 flagship and Acura's only $50,000. How do you explain Acura having a $90,000 sports car and Lexus don't. Go figure. Is it because Lexus doesn't have the quality or the technology to build such a car. We both know that is not the reason. Lexus is a fine company that builds fine cars. But I said that to make a point. I know a lady that thinks all Lexus is is an over priced Toyata. She loves Mercedes and thinks that Lexus is not even in Mercedes bracket. Of course me being an enthusiast I know that is a bunch of crap and she is judging Lexus off of what some people say about Lexus. I guess it's all about how you view the brand. I have a sister-in-law that has a 2005 ES330. She said that her next car will be top of the line. I ask what do you mean, an LS430. She said no I'm talking about buying a BMW or a Mercedes. I guess people just view certain brands certain ways. Just as I defend Lexus in that case I think I have more than enough of right to argue that Acura is just as good as a Lexus.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:27 AM
Cruisin'

I owned a Lexus GS300 for almost ten years (93-02), and it was absolutely, unequivocally and unquestionably the best car I've ever owned, and I've had a Porsche, a 300ZX, a Jaguar, a 1969 Pontaic GTO Ram Air, etc., and now my wonderful 05 TL. The car exuded quality from every pore.

While I love my TL, it is just not in the same class of design engineering, ergonomics, fit, finish and overall quality that the Lexus was. I am an engineer, and it was abundantly clear to me that the key to the Lexus' success originates in the design phase. They are designed to excel, and it shows. My 9-year old Lexus did not have a squeak, creak or rattle when I sold it in Sept 02. My TL developed a very annoying creak after one week on the road. I love it dearly, but to paraphrase a famous quote " TL, I knew a Lexus, and you are not a Lexus"

Price, styling, features and unavailability of the new 06 GS in time all played into my decision to got for the 05 TL, and it's a great car, much better than my 01 Jaguar S-type, but it doesn't match my Lexus.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Xs05TL
I owned a Lexus GS300 for almost ten years (93-02), and it was absolutely, unequivocally and unquestionably the best car I've ever owned, and I've had a Porsche, a 300ZX, a Jaguar, a 1969 Pontaic GTO Ram Air, etc., and now my wonderful 05 TL. The car exuded quality from every pore.

While I love my TL, it is just not in the same class of design engineering, ergonomics, fit, finish and overall quality that the Lexus was. I am an engineer, and it was abundantly clear to me that the key to the Lexus' success originates in the design phase. They are designed to excel, and it shows. My 9-year old Lexus did not have a squeak, creak or rattle when I sold it in Sept 02. My TL developed a very annoying creak after one week on the road. I love it dearly, but to paraphrase a famous quote " TL, I knew a Lexus, and you are not a Lexus"

Price, styling, features and unavailability of the new 06 GS in time all played into my decision to got for the 05 TL, and it's a great car, much better than my 01 Jaguar S-type, but it doesn't match my Lexus.

I understand you perfectly. But what do you tell someone that has had or currently owns a Lexus and has problems with it VS. someone who owns or have owned an Acura and didn't have any problems with it. How do you explain that? Everyone story is different. When I go to Lexus dealership for service with my friend I don't think all of those cars are getting an oil change. How do you explain that. Like I said before he is on his second engine. A 4 year old Lexus should not be on a second engine and he bought it brand new. All I'm saying is that Lexus are fine cars but so are Acuras.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:40 PM
Hello!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Xs05TL

I am with you. I had a 95 SC 400 and it also was the best car I've owned from many. Acura, you can clearly see how they basically full our cars up with options and skimp out on what is really important. And they got me with the "value' sale.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:10 PM
Pro

I posted this a few weeks ago. Over all I was impressed by the new GS. It was roomy and felt solid. My favorite part though was starting the car. Put your foot on the brake and push the start stop button. Car fires up while the steering wheel moves into position. While I'm not sure about this, with the GS, once the car "recognizes" you, you just have to touch the back of the door handle for the car to unlock. I think with Acura's system you have to press the button on the door handle. Does anyone know about this?

I just finished test driving the new GS300 AWD. The main option package had Adaptive Headlights, head light washers, auto wipers, heated/ cooled seats, pwr rear window shade, and pwr folding mirrorss. Sunroof, run-flat tires, wood/leather steering wheel, and Navi w/ compass and rearview cam were stand alone options.

The interior is NICE. Lexus does know how to treat wood trim in their cars. The ride was about the same as it is in my TL. I would guess that was due to the GS's run-flats. Handling was good for that size of car. I was surprised that the engine was a loud as it was while idling. Inside the car it was a low hum. Very quiet at 70mph and with the 6 spd auto there seemed to be some extra coming from the motor when passing. Yes I know the RL has way more pwr as a matter of fact my TL has more, but the extra cog is a nice touch.

For a list price of $49,995, I'd have to consider one over the RL. Yes the RL has standards all over the place, but as I've said before, it is the little extra luxuries that make a lux car stand out. I'd give up a little in the engine room for pwr folding mirrors and the cooling feature of the seats. THAT is a must have IMO when you live in a warm/ hot area. It was fairly warm today and having cool air blowing from the seats was nice. And for Canada people your lucky to have a cooling seat feature we do not get.

The M45 w/sport package I saw at our auto show was nice and I was impressed with all of the gadgets, but right now I'm sold on the GS first, RL second.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:24 PM
2005 ABP/Auto/Navi

IS300 to TL

I have a 2002 IS300 that I've been leasing. Since I have joined this board I will not be getting another Lexus.The IS is horrible in the snow almost dangerous. I'll be purchasing a new TL in April , and I can't wait!

Quick Reply: New2006 Lexus GS