New york post article,TL 2nd worst/CRASH TEST

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2004 | 02:53 PM
Advanced

New york post article,TL 2nd worst/CRASH TEST

Read an articel this morning in the new york post concerning crash tests and how much cost in damage after impact.
TL,Maxima,Malibu all 2nd.. Acura TSX was 1st with the highest cost in damage. spotted the bumpers as very weak.
I was dissapointed to read that.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:02 PM
Retired MOD

just don't crash
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:03 PM
Instructor

There are already several threads about that test. This was the 5mph bumper against a post test. All it really tests is how much it costs to fix the damage caused. I haven't backed into a pole at 5mph in my life so I couldn't care less.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:23 PM
Advanced

forget about not bumping into a pole at 5mph,what if god for bid
another car read ends you at lets say 35mph??? arent you concerned at what would happen than and the damage???
If at 5mph you get that much damage,than yes we should all
be concernced.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:26 PM
never stops!

adam was hit recently and have almost totaled his TL. adam209 can you please let us know how fast the lady was driving when she rear-ended you.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:27 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

I am more concerned about my life as well as my passengers' lives over the cost of repairing the damage from an accident, which insurance should cover.

Granted, while I would love to have a bumper that is fixable with a $200 repair job, having it collapse and save the lives of the occupants is far more important to me. Something's gotta give, right? How are the other cars' crash ratings?
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:28 PM
Pro

Originally posted by FRANKKIE
another car read ends you at lets say 35mph??? arent you concerned at what would happen than and the damage???
be concernced.
No, you're comparing apples and oranges. Resistance of the bumper COVER to damage at 5mph has NOTHING ZERO BUBCAS to do with the damager in a real crash. That's because in a real crash the structural elements of the car come into play, instead of just the plastic bumper cover!
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:28 PM
Banned

Atually, of the vehicles tested the TL was the best of a very bad group that included bimmer, merc, saab and others Of the whole group the TL and another car were the "best" which in this illustrous group was marginal overall! Even consumer report has dropped the bumper test since it doesn't mean much. CR at least used to have a basher that was shaped like a bumper from anoter car. The IIHS test uses a post about 4 inches in diameter which would entail armoring the entire rear section of the car. Makes me think they're just looking for another excuse to jack up your premiums. as far as I know most people dont hit poles they hit other cars in parking lots.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:31 PM
Black

this is definitely going to raise our insurance rates...
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:33 PM
Lurker

Originally posted by FRANKKIE
be concernced.
Nope, not in the least. That's what insurance is for and my insurance is pretty cheap. Way cheaper than with other cars I've owned.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:46 PM
Does anyone read this

Like I said in the other post, if you crash you deserve to pay out of the a$$ for being and idiot driver. If someone hits you does it really matter how mush it cost because you don’t pay for it.
Old 03-01-2004 | 03:54 PM
Pro

Originally posted by vtechbrain
Atually, of the vehicles tested the TL was the best of a very bad group that included bimmer, merc, saab and others Of the whole group the TL and another car were the "best" which in this illustrous group was marginal overall! Even consumer report has dropped the bumper test since it doesn't mean much. CR at least used to have a basher that was shaped like a bumper from anoter car. The IIHS test uses a post about 4 inches in diameter which would entail armoring the entire rear section of the car. Makes me think they're just looking for another excuse to jack up your premiums. as far as I know most people dont hit poles they hit other cars in parking lots.
The problem is that there are enough people who DO back into poles etc. Since the cost of a repair for one is spread over the many, we will pay more for insurance if the car is expensive to repair.

As to the people who ask about 35 MPH crashes, like other have said your car is going to be pretty bad. They design the car to save the life of the occupants while destroying the car itself. Its the 10 to 15 MPH crash that has little chance of injury that might cost a lot if they do not design it right.
Old 03-01-2004 | 04:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Formula 350
The problem is that there are enough people who DO back into poles etc. Since the cost of a repair for one is spread over the many, we will pay more for insurance if the car is expensive to repair.

As to the people who ask about 35 MPH crashes, like other have said your car is going to be pretty bad. They design the car to save the life of the occupants while destroying the car itself. Its the 10 to 15 MPH crash that has little chance of injury that might cost a lot if they do not design it right.
Agreed. The problem is do you want a bulging ugly bumper on your TL??
Old 03-01-2004 | 04:27 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Question

I thought 04TL would be almost among the best/safest vehicles in recent NHTSA crash tests. 04TL recieves the best 5-Star results in these tests based on risk of head & chest injury. 5-star means "10% or less chance of serious injury".

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=195607

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showt...highlight=IIHS

This is supposed to protect your life and safety, which is the main goal.

However, I agree, the repair cost should be lower if this wouldn't affect the safety designs and exterior style.

BTW, I guess the insurance firms will hate to see "the high cost of repair", but they will at least be happy how safety of 04TL could save lives which means "less cost of ppl's injury".

Compare with two bills, cost of repair is just the portion of cost of ppl's injury.