Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Topic - After Lowering - Re-aiming Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Topic - After Lowering - Re-aiming Lights

Here is a question I am sure that has not been asked or brought attention to.

People that Dropped their cars or had A-spec installed after delivery - Did you re-aim your headlights? Since we have HID's and projectors I think you will need to re-aim your headlights just a smudge up. Not saying to turn the adjuster 5 times or anything like that but - common sense isnt it? If you got a drop , your view of your horizontal line or cut off is a bit lower maybe too low...

Dont know but just my opinnion and that is what I am going to do when I get my a-spec suspension on. The lighting on HID projectors is a straight line that does not show beyond the cut off - .. and when you lower your car a bit that lit area falls even lower - and perhaps not shining down the road as intended.

I intend to aim my headlights using this method -
Find flat area with a light colored wall.
Measure from the wall 25ft out. Mark the spot with tape about 4-5ft strip. Re-measure the ends of the tape to the wall so you know your perfectly parrallel. Drive your car and park along the tape and try to make it evenly so your headlights are parralel with the tape. From there you measure the height from the ground to the center of your HID projectors. Take this measurement and go to the wall. Place a peice of tape corresponding to the height of your headlight vertical measurement from the ground and mark it on the wall. Now take your measuring tape and take 2 inches below that line you just marked on the wall and do another 5ft strip horizontally.. This should be your cuttoff.

If anything you have to raise your cuttoff to meet this line - thats if you dropped the height of your vehicle.

Never aim above the horizontal strip you just placed on the wall. That just means your aiming upwards.. potentially blinding everyone in front of you. And for the people that react to shinning HID's in thier face will either flash you back , flip a Bitch and chase you or plain out not see you and possible head on collision.

In anycase I hope this is helpful to you guys.

Since we all have HID's - why not provide a link to properly aim your HIDs.

Taken from http://www.HIDFORUM.com

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hl-aiming.htm
What is current aiming standards say?
The U.S. vertical aiming standard is 2.1" of drop at 25ft, or 8.4" per 100ft. This actually mean that a taller vehicle (truck) with high mounted headlamps will have alot more reach than a compact car. ECE aiming standards have slightly less drop.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:55 PM
Mmmmmm... Anthracite

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aspec suspension will lower your car by a half inch. You won't be able to tell a difference, especially in your head lights. Feel free to readjust as much as you deem necessary, just don't blind anyone when you raise them.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

My last three cars all had HID's and were lowered, including the TL, and I did not re-aim the lights. I did consider doing it but didn't feel it was necessary. The cut off seemed to be in the same place or at least I didn't notice a deifference. By all means, re-aim your headlights if you feel they are to low after lowering the car, just be carefull.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:08 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by Aspector Gadget
Aspec suspension will lower your car by a half inch. You won't be able to tell a difference, especially in your head lights. Feel free to readjust as much as you deem necessary, just don't blind anyone when you raise them.
I agree with Aspector. I don't think it is necessary for such a nominal drop. Any other forum members care to comment?

edit: didn't catch automata's post earlier.
Old 08-04-2004, 02:17 PM
ImayBparanoidButNoAndroid

I just thought of something. If you lower the car, and you re-aim the projectors to the cut off you had before lowering, you've changed the angle the light is projected. With the method of re-aiming described above, you get the same cut off at 25ft but you've raised the cut off at any point beyond that distance. Right?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by automata
I just thought of something. If you lower the car, and you re-aim the projectors to the cut off you had before lowering, you've changed the angle the light is projected. With the method of re-aiming described above, you get the same cut off at 25ft but you've raised the cut off at any point beyond that distance. Right?

Well Let me re-itterate. You wont be re-aiming your cuttoffs to the same level you had before lowering. I am just stating that your angle once you lower your car has dropped by a couple meters - distance wise I am saying. So to get the best lighting and depth of lighting you CAN if you want re-aim them - I like to see down road.

To each their own.. and yes.. I know not to blind anyone. Projection of light always has to be dropping and not raising.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dlouly47
Well Let me re-itterate. You wont be re-aiming your cuttoffs to the same level you had before lowering. I am just stating that your angle once you lower your car has dropped by a couple meters - distance wise I am saying. So to get the best lighting and depth of lighting you CAN if you want re-aim them - I like to see down road.

To each their own.. and yes.. I know not to blind anyone. Projection of light always has to be dropping and not raising.
My TL isn't lowered, and this one street I go on, everybody flashes their lights at me.. possibyl cause i"m going uphill just enough to make it seem like I have my brights on. I have HP tires. Does anybody else have this problem where peopel think you have your brights on? Should I have mine lowered by dealer just a touch if I mention this to them free of charge?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Instructor

I think its because your going uphill. You cant do much