New TL Owner - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004 | 08:03 PM
Advanced

New TL Owner - Questions

Just today picked up my new 04 TL in Deep Pearl Green with Parchment interior - it's a stunning match and the car is quite amazing. I considered many and it came down to the new Maxima and the TL (I'm coming off an 01 Maxima).

I want to add a few goodies to the car (aside from the splashguards I popped on today) and see that there isn't even a K&N for this car!? Soon to come? What's the deal? I also don't want to do much since it's a lease.

Oh - and, it's a stick (duh) - although the Brembo's don't seem to reduce stopping distance. Does anyone have comps on stopping distance on the auto vs. stick?

Lastly, getting a stick in anything other than black, silver, or grey was a nightmare - had to wrestle for it and pay up a bit over cost.

Boris
Old 09-11-2004 | 08:06 PM
i souport publik edekason

Originally Posted by TL Boris
I want to add a few goodies to the car (aside from the splashguards I popped on today) and see that there isn't even a K&N for this car!? Soon to come? What's the deal? I also don't want to do much since it's a lease.

Boris
http://acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93193
Old 09-11-2004 | 09:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Are you saying you paid MORE THAN sticker (MSRP) for your car?
Old 09-11-2004 | 09:15 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by TL Boris

Lastly, getting a stick in anything other than black, silver, or grey was a nightmare - had to wrestle for it and pay up a bit over cost.

Boris
A bit over cost, means a bit over invoice...right?

By the way, about the stopping distances about manual vs. 6MT, there are documented tests done in car mags but they are in different mags, different times, different drivers, so I don't know how comparable they would be. Additionally, they usually tested the 6MT with the high performance tire option which helps reduce the stopping distances.

I like the Brembos for its consistency of feel, and resistance to fading after some hard runs. If you do a search you will find PLENTY of info about Brembos vs. AT brakes...if you are interested.

Welcome to the board!
Old 09-12-2004 | 08:10 AM
Disproportionate Member

Welcome to the boards, and enjoy your ride! I can't really answer the mod questions for you, but the link supplied by Salut should answer the K&N question.

I have vowed that I will not do anything to my TL that will change the noise level of the car. On my 03 Altima SE, I had Intake, exhaust, pulley, and headers. The car sounded like a 350z, which was fun about 30 percent of the time, while the other 70 percent it was a drone machine between 2K-3K rpm. Anyway, I digress...

One benefit of the Brembos that might not be obvious is the reduced brake fade in repeated hard-braking situations.
Old 09-12-2004 | 12:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
A bit over cost, means a bit over invoice...right?

By the way, about the stopping distances about manual vs. 6MT, there are documented tests done in car mags but they are in different mags, different times, different drivers, so I don't know how comparable they would be. Additionally, they usually tested the 6MT with the high performance tire option which helps reduce the stopping distances.

I like the Brembos for its consistency of feel, and resistance to fading after some hard runs. If you do a search you will find PLENTY of info about Brembos vs. AT brakes...if you are interested.

Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the feedback on the K&N option - which is over the top for a lease I feel.

Yes, I did mean a bit over invoice. I saw that I could have gotten a black one or silver at invoice from at least one dealer in Long Island, NY - but I just came out of a silver car and black on black was just a bit harsh I felt.

Bingo on the feel of the Brembos - they seem very linear in the few miles I've put on them.

I'll have some pics of the car in a few.

Boris
Old 09-12-2004 | 02:46 PM
Intermediate

Give it time.

I noticed that the Brembos started grabbing much harder after a month of regular driving. Before then they were alright, after that they were wonderful (except for lots and lots of brake dust). Enjoy.