Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The new TL: How is the sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The new TL: How is the sound system?

OK, I am a big audiophile. The idea of DVD-Audio is great, but more important to me is how an actual CD sounds, since that is what most recorded material is on.

I have done some research but can't find what type of material the speakers are made out of, or other details which might give me an idea of sound quality. So, to ask others who have heard the new TL's sound system, how is it? I am not asking how good the "DVD-Audio" or "Surround Sound" is, just asking how a regular CD sounds.

Any reviews out there from audiophiles and non-audiophiles alike? Every new car I spend a lot of money upgrading the speakers and amp with great results, since stock systems rarely sound very good IMO, and am hoping that I can save some money and won't have to do it with this new TL. Can anyone compare it to other stock systems, or other non-stock systems? Any comparison to the Mark Levinson systems in the Lexus?

Thanks guys... let's get a good thread to talk about the TL's sound system. There is a lot of hype, but let's see how it really sounds (punchy bass? clean highs? etc.).
Old 10-06-2003, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just test drove the '04 TL this Saturday....

Originally posted by ctwickman
OK, I am a big audiophile. The idea of DVD-Audio is great, but more important to me is how an actual CD sounds, since that is what most recorded material is on.

I have done some research but can't find what type of material the speakers are made out of, or other details which might give me an idea of sound quality. So, to ask others who have heard the new TL's sound system, how is it? I am not asking how good the "DVD-Audio" or "Surround Sound" is, just asking how a regular CD sounds.

Any reviews out there from audiophiles and non-audiophiles alike? Every new car I spend a lot of money upgrading the speakers and amp with great results, since stock systems rarely sound very good IMO, and am hoping that I can save some money and won't have to do it with this new TL. Can anyone compare it to other stock systems, or other non-stock systems? Any comparison to the Mark Levinson systems in the Lexus?

Thanks guys... let's get a good thread to talk about the TL's sound system. There is a lot of hype, but let's see how it really sounds (punchy bass? clean highs? etc.).
......mainly to check out the sound system. While I'm not a "HARDCORE audiophile", I do consider myself an "audiophile of sorts".....and here are my impressions.

Let me begin by saying that I spent a good deal of time listening to a variety of music (classical/instrumental, pop and rock). First off, I'd like to say that this system blows away anything that I've heard before. IMHO, it's superior in sound quality to the Mark Levinson in Lexus vehicles, especially while listening to a DVD-Audio disc. I played some of my CDs and they sounded awesome. However, the salesperson brought out a DVD-A demonstration disk and that's what really blew me away!!. Both CDs and DVD-A's produce superb sound quality: highs are sharp and crystal clear, mids are very well defined and the bass is "tight and accurate" with no "boominess or muddiness". Through the NAV screen you can individually adjust the SUBWOOFER LEVEL. Additionally, you can individually increase and decrease treble, bass and mid-range with a few more options to adjust sound quality further. All in all, a VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE system!!
Old 10-06-2003, 01:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to work in the mobile electronics industry and I'd have to say to sound system in the new TL is one of the best factory systems I've heard. It's about time Acura realized that BOSE is not a leader in this market.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Sundance CL-S
IIt's about time Acura realized that BOSE is not a leader in this market.
Bose is the leader in high priced table radios only. They do not compete in high end audio at all.

rw
Old 10-06-2003, 01:15 PM
Intermediate

BOSE makes over-priced clock radios.
Old 10-06-2003, 03:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm not an audiophile but the only thing that beats the Acura system soundwise is...and you'll be surprised....the GM factory systems. I love the bass response of those GM top-of-the-line systems.

The new TL's audio system completely blows away the Bose system of the old. Totally. As in, there is not even a comparison to be made. I'm sure people will find a way to mod it and make it even better, but it's pretty good.

My main gripe is the lack of a front audio-in plug so I can plug in my iPod.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:04 PM
Racer

For those of you planning to test drive the new TL, play the last 2 music tracks on the demo DVD-A. One's a Queen song and the other is by Missy Elliot - can't remember titles. Those two really demonstrate the sound system very well.
Old 10-06-2003, 04:07 PM
Racer

what demo disc?
Old 10-06-2003, 05:00 PM
an Acura has-been

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I just test drove the '04 TL this Saturday....

Originally posted by vicpai
...........Through the NAV screen you can individually adjust the SUBWOOFER LEVEL. Additionally, you can individually increase and decrease treble, bass and mid-range with a few more options to adjust sound quality further. All in all, a VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE system!!
Also in the non-navi, just push the right large aluminum knob and you can scroll throught the bass, treble, center speaker, and sub, along with balance and fade.

The demo car was not set up right for my tastes, but once set, it did a great job.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ucla107
what demo disc?
The dealers have them for test drives. Just be sure to ask for it if they don't mention anything about it.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
The Test CD blew me away to. I was very very suprised with the quilty of the sound. I got to drive the TL for a good 30 minutes. 10 minutes on the highway doing close to 90 mph. The Audio sounded jsut like a live concert. I think I need to start saving some cash and upgrade my car to the 2004 TL. Now I wonder how hard it would be to add a Subwoofer and louder mids and highs and amp them.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Cruisin'

Test drove TL today - sound system is awesome. Compared to my 01 CLS, it is about 3000% improvement. The satellite sound was great and the demo disk was even better. I'm not an audio expert, but sold me.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:53 PM
DNA
Instructor

The Absolute Sound (an "audiophile" magazine) has a nice article on the TL/ELS sound system in the latest issue (144). This rather surprised me since they tend to concentrate on $25,000 turntables, $80,000 speakers, and $5,000 interconnect cables, not car sound systems. They compared the TL/ELS sound system to Lexus' Mark Levinson and BMW's Premium audio system (they didn't say which model). They said the BMW sound wasn't even in the running.

TAS said that compared to the ELS, the ML was a little cleaner with better highs but the TL/ELS was much better when playing DVD-A even with 2-channel, and 5.1 was very impressive. They also liked the subwoofer much better, saying that compared to the ML or most other car audio systems, it extended into deep bass range (no frequencies mentioned) and was fairly tight.

TAS mentioned that rear passengers hear mostly the rear channel surround sound, which was not very enjoyable. They contacted Acura who said yes, they decided the most of the time the typical owner wouldn't have rear passengers and felt that was a reasonable tradeoff. (I agree. Besides, what other option is there?) They were disappointed (as am I) that there was no synthesized surround (like DPL-II or DTS-Neotek:6) option for 2 channel music. The TL/ELS does what most other car audio systems do and play the same 2 channels in the rear channels as in the front.

My dealer said they didn't get a DVD-A demo disk so I didn't get to hear it first hand (and the TL I ordered won't get here for several weeks – does the car come with a DVD-A demo disk?). Two-channel sounded well balanced and clean to me. I'm pretty critical but to be honest I was concentrating more on how the car performed.

-David
Old 10-08-2003, 09:40 PM
Instructor

Thanks for the info, DNA. Sounds like the new TL audio system is a real winner. With custom audio installs going for around two grand or more, this is a big sigh of relief for those who appreciate hi-fi music in their cars since that investment may no longer be necessary.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
All I can tell is that it sounded like a mini-home entertainment system. The '03 TL's sound system is not even close to that.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by DNA
The Absolute Sound (an "audiophile" magazine) has a nice article on the TL/ELS sound system in the latest issue (144). This rather surprised me since they tend to concentrate on $25,000 turntables, $80,000 speakers, and $5,000 interconnect cables, not car sound systems. They compared the TL/ELS sound system to Lexus' Mark Levinson and BMW's Premium audio system (they didn't say which model). They said the BMW sound wasn't even in the running.

TAS said that compared to the ELS, the ML was a little cleaner with better highs but the TL/ELS was much better when playing DVD-A even with 2-channel, and 5.1 was very impressive. They also liked the subwoofer much better, saying that compared to the ML or most other car audio systems, it extended into deep bass range (no frequencies mentioned) and was fairly tight.

TAS mentioned that rear passengers hear mostly the rear channel surround sound, which was not very enjoyable. They contacted Acura who said yes, they decided the most of the time the typical owner wouldn't have rear passengers and felt that was a reasonable tradeoff. (I agree. Besides, what other option is there?) They were disappointed (as am I) that there was no synthesized surround (like DPL-II or DTS-Neotek:6) option for 2 channel music. The TL/ELS does what most other car audio systems do and play the same 2 channels in the rear channels as in the front.

My dealer said they didn't get a DVD-A demo disk so I didn't get to hear it first hand (and the TL I ordered won't get here for several weeks – does the car come with a DVD-A demo disk?). Two-channel sounded well balanced and clean to me. I'm pretty critical but to be honest I was concentrating more on how the car performed.

Yes,DVD-A demo disk is in glove compartment.

-David
Old 10-08-2003, 11:35 PM
DNA
Instructor

Good. (I'll have to tell the salesman that next time I see him!)

-David
Old 10-10-2003, 02:06 AM
Intermediate

i believe the speakers and deck are kenwood same as the TSX
Old 10-10-2003, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Post Alpine

My sales lady told me it was all Alpine, HU and Speakers.

As for quality, I will say it is definately better than the Bose crap in the '00 TL I had. The sub is capable for a stock system. But the system has a severe lacking of crisp, very present treble. Everything sounds just a bit muted, not very bright. I have upgraded my '98 Accord with Polk Dx and MB Quart and a JL 12W3, and the treble is breathtaking. Granted.. the TL is still targeted at 40+ age range, but I do like more treble in my diet.

Alas tho, I won't have to even contemplate changing out this system, very very nice for stock.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:32 AM
Cruisin'

From a poster in the know @ Temple Of Vtec, the Navi is made by Alpine, and both the head unit and speakers are made by Panasonic.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:41 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by wth718
From a poster in the know @ Temple Of Vtec, the Navi is made by Alpine, and both the head unit and speakers are made by Panasonic.
I agree. Although I haven't heard any official word about the navigation system, the HU is in fact made by Panasonic.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Re: Alpine

Originally posted by Sherlock
My sales lady told me it was all Alpine, HU and Speakers.

As for quality, I will say it is definately better than the Bose crap in the '00 TL I had. The sub is capable for a stock system. But the system has a severe lacking of crisp, very present treble. Everything sounds just a bit muted, not very bright. I have upgraded my '98 Accord with Polk Dx and MB Quart and a JL 12W3, and the treble is breathtaking. Granted.. the TL is still targeted at 40+ age range, but I do like more treble in my diet.

Alas tho, I won't have to even contemplate changing out this system, very very nice for stock.
Yeah! I also noticed that about the Treble in the TL. I turned up the Treble to +6 and honestly couldn't hear any real crisp highs!

The mids and everything else sounded "good enough" which is a lot for me to say since I am big into spending money on car audio, but as for crisp, very present treble, I just couldn't hear it.

Anyone else notice this?

Hey, how hard would it be to simply replace the tweeters in this stereo. Do you think it might be trickier than it sounds, because doesn't this system use 2-ohm speakers? Are tweeters rated 2-ohm too or can you just pop in a good pair of MB Quart tweeters to improve the treble? I'm not sure how tweeters are "rated." Do tweeters even have an "ohm" rating?
Old 10-10-2003, 03:32 PM
Instructor

OK I guess tweeters do have an ohm rating.

This stereo has got me confused like heck though. I've read that they are using 2-ohm speakers. Can this be confirmed?

Wonder what impedance and type the tweeters are. The system is definetly lacking in "loudness" and "crisp highs".

I wonder who will be the first guinea pig to add speakers/amp to this stereo. Unfortunately to get things louder we'll definetly need to add an amp, which IMO is going to be VERY tricky since we are talking 6-channel discrete audio. We definetly need to learn a lot more about this stereo.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Old Member

Originally posted by kkneubuh
Test drove TL today - sound system is awesome. Compared to my 01 CLS, it is about 3000% improvement. The satellite sound was great and the demo disk was even better. I'm not an audio expert, but sold me.
I used to drive a 01 CL-S too. I can wait testing out the TL sound system.

By the way, has anyone compare it to the stock TSX system? Would it be again 3000% improvement?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 50 Posts
I thought only Pioneer had the only player that played, CDrw, and DVD Audio. Yes the Navi is alpine.
Old 10-12-2003, 03:15 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ctwickman
OK I guess tweeters do have an ohm rating.

This stereo has got me confused like heck though. I've read that they are using 2-ohm speakers. Can this be confirmed?

Wonder what impedance and type the tweeters are. The system is definetly lacking in "loudness" and "crisp highs".

I wonder who will be the first guinea pig to add speakers/amp to this stereo. Unfortunately to get things louder we'll definetly need to add an amp, which IMO is going to be VERY tricky since we are talking 6-channel discrete audio. We definetly need to learn a lot more about this stereo.
I've read 2 posts from you now on this subject...I've been thinking a lot about this too...and I think I have the answer to this "tricky" audio question (not really tricky though)...

I currently have a unit made by a company in WA called "Audiocontrol" - unit name is "three.1". It is a really sweet line-driver & equalizer. It could be used in a situation like the new TL quite well. You can put your high-level inputs into it, and it boosts the signal (9 volt RMS!) and turns it into an RCA signal. So, one could just run high-level inputs for FL, FR, RL, RR - and the three.1 converts those signals into 3 sets of RCA pre-outs (Front, Rear, Sub). This allows you to take any stock headunit and run 3 separate amps on it if you would like - all the while preserving the signal quality with the line-driver feature. The three.1 is an in-dash equalizer, so you have rotary knobs for volume, f/r level, sub-level, *sub frequency & gain at a specified frequency*, as well as bass/mid/treb adjustments. This is my favourite car audio unit that I own. Retails for about $600 CDN but can be had for less, especially used. I think you can plan on about $150-200 USD on ebay and the like (probably used).

The only thing that confuses me a little is how to amplify the centre channel? The best option I suppose is to just let the head unit do the amplification for this channel and not mess with it at all, since it is a discreet signal for DVD-A. Of course, you could always do a RCA converter and run the center on it's own amp...?

I don't think the 2 ohm speakers will be an issue to use with amplifers...most amplifiers will actually put out more power at 2 ohms anyways, so that is kind of an advantage. As far as replacing the stock speakers go - no problem with that if the above menioned setup is used.

I'm also guessing that a custom mod can be done to the head unit to provide actual RCA or optical output. This can be done on many, many different stock stereos. Obvioulsy if the optical route is taken this system will be the shiz, but would require getting a lot more aftermarket equipment.

I will have to hear the system at the launch this upcoming week in Canada. I would prefer to do very, very little modification to the system, if any, just b/c it is such a nice car and I would hate to go tearing it apart like a civic for a good install.

Here is a short article about the system by an actual audio enthusiasts site:
http://audioworld.com/cgi-bin/FrameI...le=FrameIt.cfg
Old 10-12-2003, 06:57 AM
Banned

Exclamation it's a POS!

there are no highs! power was not pushing! anybody who has a decent aftermkt system will hear and see through the hype! it's not what it's cracked up to be! especially using panasonic/kenwood low end components! it's an upgrade over bose, but then again, what isn't!? and if you want to put in an aftmkt system! looks like your installer is gonna have one hell of a time!
Old 10-12-2003, 05:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Re: it's a POS!

Originally posted by VTECRRR
there are no highs! power was not pushing! anybody who has a decent aftermkt system will hear and see through the hype! it's not what it's cracked up to be! especially using panasonic/kenwood low end components! it's an upgrade over bose, but then again, what isn't!? and if you want to put in an aftmkt system! looks like your installer is gonna have one hell of a time!
Its not a POS, its better than the ML system in the Lexus LS and SC and that right there is a very bold statement and I do fully back it up. Before the ELS/Acura system, the ML was THE best hands down. Lexus will have to catch up now.

Oh and most audiophiles don't want their music to be loud, they want it to be CLEAR.

We do agree on one thing, the Bose system before is crap, my 8 speaker '97 TL system sounds better, especially the highs.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Instructor

u meant to say: overprices table radios..
lol
ye, bose suxx..

Originally posted by sparky57
Bose is the leader in high priced table radios only. They do not compete in high end audio at all.

rw
Old 10-13-2003, 12:46 PM
7th Gear

Thumbs up 04my TL DVD-A Sound

Hey guy's...Just wanted to say thanks for all the positive comments regarding the sound of the 04 TL Panasonic/ELS DVD-A system. Although we make a tremendous amount of speaker systems for the OEM market...for ourselves and other manufactures as well. The new TL system is the one we're the most proud of. Of course hearing it from the customer is the best feedback we could ever get...whether it’s positive or negative….it helps us all in the long run.

Thanks again and enjoy!!!
Old 10-13-2003, 02:44 PM
DNA
Instructor

N2SPKRS:

Great to have someone from Matsu****a/Panasonic on here. Can you tell us what you do there and what role, if any, you had in the ELS design and implementation? Thanks.

-David

Edit: Oh brother, this is taking censorship past the point of absurdity. Should this Japanese company change their name to Matsucrapa? Too funny!
Old 10-13-2003, 03:22 PM
7th Gear

DNA:
I work at our speaker plant here in Knoxville, Tn....In the R&D department. My job is vehicle prototyping/acoustical measurements on speakers/systems and some system tuning.

My contribution on that project was primarily measurement and prototype realated... in the design stage of the speakers.

Best Regards...
Old 10-13-2003, 04:14 PM
CEO of IMHO

I did a limited run-through on the ELS system this weekend.

I am an audiophile 'lite' kind of person, and am an avid user of DVD-Audio in my home. In other words, while I did spend $10k on my entire audio setup at home, I did not spend $10k on the pre-amp alone, which is what a true audiophile does.
I have about 12 DVD-Audio discs at home in normal rotation. They are really fascinating to listen to.

So, anyway, my analysis of Acura/ELS system:
BAD, FAIR, OK, GOOD, EXCELLENT is the rating system.

On normal stereo radio, it is FAIR overall, and GOOD for a stock radio.

On normal stereo CD, it is OK overall, and GOOD for a stock radio.

On DVD-Audio, it is GOOD+/EXCELLENT- overall, and EXCELLENT+
for a stock radio.

For XM, it is GOOD overall, and GOOD for a stock radio.

Note: I spent the majority of my critical listening on the sample dvd-a the dealership had. Frankly, I was very impressed with the DVD-A performance of the stereo. For DVD-A, the highs were PERFECT (when treble was +6). I can't say the same for CD or Radio. It seems that the system was tuned for DVD-A playback.

This is kind of a shame, since DVD-A will be the minority of listening for the vast majority of consumers.

One wonders why we don't get +/- 10 pots for bass and treble?

One also wonders what the brand equity is in ELS? I am big into DVD-A and ever heard of Elliot.

I would be concerned replacing speakers as to upset the delicate balance setup to maximize DVD-A performance. We'll see, though.

As for the comments about the tweeters facing the windshield... I'm not sure there's a lot of concern about that. The windshield reflects... it does not obsorb. Better to have it direct reflect right to your ears than to have the tweeters at shoulder height, where they never get to your ears in the first place.

I was fairly impressed with the sub as well. Not boomy. This system certainly is 'classy' sounding when playing DVD-A... like the fine wine of car systems. I suspect many people are so used to the aweful, distorted, boomy car system sound that they may think this system is whimpy or lame.

Oh well.

Jon
Old 10-14-2003, 07:03 AM
7th Gear

Jon:

Many times speaker location is driven by the interior design team.... it’s usually where they will allow something to be placed.... other then where it operates the best acoustically.

Many things drive speaker placement.... unfortunately it's not always acoustics.

You're probably correct...by changing out the speakers it may very well upset the balance of the system... since all the eq'ing done for the system is based on the speakers that are in there now.....

It will be a hit or miss situation.... when the amp is removed large amounts of the eq will be lost....and when the headunit is removed all DSP functions will be lost.... but that never means something can't be improved on.
Old 10-14-2003, 12:08 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What are the OHM rating of the Tweteers? I did notice a big difference between the tweeters in the TSX and the TL much brighter highs in the TSX. I would def consider replacing the tweeters in the TL . Waht do you think , Big job ??
Old 10-14-2003, 12:44 PM
7th Gear

Zexi....

No, don't think it would be a big job...
It's a 4ohm tweeter using a 3.3mfd cap.

I hope this help....
Old 10-14-2003, 01:28 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the help, what is the freq response of the stock tweeter? Is it a dome type ? What might be a good tweeter to replace it with.
Thanks for your insite.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:58 PM
7th Gear

Zexi...

The response is pretty flat from 5K until just about 20K then you have a dip.... then it extends to just beyond 40k.

It is a dome type, but not a soft dome...We call it a Balance Dome. We developed the process in house to form the dome and control it's thickness.

A soft dome's moving mass would normally be too heavy to extend it's response out that far... which was a requirement in that system.

As far as which to replace it with...trust your own hears... if it sounds good to you and the cost is right...then it's the right one.

Sorry to be so vague.... Although I tested most everything on the market at one time or another... all the data in the world would never replace your subjective impression... in my personal opinion.

Hope this helps...
Old 10-14-2003, 07:45 PM
Banned

N2SPKRS:

In your opinion, what is the best route to take if one wishes to increase amplification without losing the headunit's DVD-A features?
Old 10-14-2003, 08:22 PM
9th Gear

Question

N2SPKRS, i have a question maybe you can answer:

How easy is it to add a separate amplifier and subs to the factory 2004 TL system? I have 00' TL and I was able to tap the signal going to the Bose sub amp to feed a line-level input to my JL 500/1 amp. Would this be possible with this new system and where is the factory amp located? I would like to use my JL 500/1 and 2 JL 12"s instead of wasting them with the new TL if I decide to trade mine in.

thx,

Quick Reply: The new TL: How is the sound system?