Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner as of this Saturday!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner as of this Saturday!!!

I have officially decided on my car and the salesman put a "sold" sign on it yesterday. I'm picking it up Saturday and was able to sell my '99 Integra GSR easily to an individual. I should have advertised it on Craigs List, as I bet I could have gotten $1k more. Oh well.

I have a couple of questions. What has been your average (combination city/hwy) miles per gallon? I'm guessing 25-28, but am I too high? Also, anyone get windows tinted? How did that turn out? My other issue, which is more of a hassle than anything, is that I am a loyal Sirius subscriber. Is anyone else here? As you know Acura has XM built in, and the merger between the 2 is doubtful I think due to a monopoly. So, for Sirius listeners, what have you done? Is it easy to install?

Thanks,
NEW '07 TL OWNER!
Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 AM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
What are you getting? The TL-P or the TL-S? If it's the former, you should be expecting MPG to be within that range depending if you do more highway driving than city. For the latter, it'll be less due to the performance.

As for tinting, I got mine done in Roswell at Solarworks. The guy there had used moleskin (felt) to protect the tint from scratching and it's lifetime guaranteed.

I can't answer your last question since I don't subscribe to either.

And welcome to the family and it's nice to see another Atlanta owner!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
jeff, welcome to the TL family and congrats. i know you were looking at the new altima as well as the G. I guess the over night test drive of the TL helped in making your decision? your MPG will be bad at first but will improve as the engine gets broken in. the TL is a little bit of a gas hog if your doing pure city driving.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:20 AM
10th Gear

Congrats on your new purchase! I picked mines up last Saturday and the next day, I put well over 100 miles on it with a nice ol' kool aid smile. You'll be having alot of fun in your new car.

_fred
Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome!!!

I have an 05 6-speed, and with almost 99% city driving, I average right on the mark with acura's claims of 20MPG city. On the freeway, I have gotten as high as 34, but that's doing the speed limit, and I (as well as most on the board) have a lead foot, so the speed limit is usually about 10-15 below what I average. On a trip out to Colorado from Wisconsin, I averaged 27-28 MPG with an average speed of 80-85 MPH and a full trunk of luggage.

As for tint, make sure you get the moleskin installed, if they tell you that it's not necessary, go somewhere else. Anyone that has not gotten it has their tint scratched within a few months if not sooner.

Do some searches for moleskin and check out the photograph section for different tint's, wheels, drops, etc....

It's a fun car, and not one on here is like the other.

Congrats again and welcome to the community!!!

You will be bitten with the "mod bug" in no time at all.....
Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome to hear! I just upgraded from my 05 TL to a 07 TL-S last week and I got my windows tinted w/ felt to protect from scratches.

Enjoy your new car
Old 06-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Acuras Only in

welcome to the AZ family and tint will help you to cut down the heat-induced temp in your car great deal ... which is the only MOD I have right now .. LOL ...
Old 06-14-2007, 04:04 AM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

As for your Sirius question, there are some options. Check out the 3G TL Audio & Electronics FAQ.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:23 AM
'07 TL-S 6MT Moroccan Red

Congrats - I'm picking mine up on Saturday too.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:28 AM
Cruisin'

Base TL purchase

I went to the Honda XM adapter link and I guess it no longer exists. I need to do some more searches.

Yep, decided against the Altima. Looked at the Maxima too. On the Altima website, peope complained about gas mileage (which I thought would be better than TL, but evidently not), and some issue with not being able to control the car well on the highway, especially when behind trucks. Living in Atlanta, there are way too many trucks that I end up behind. So that, along with seeing some old women and trashy looking people driving them, was the deal breaker. No, I'm not about status or keeping up with the Joneses, but still, I don't want to drive a car that has a negative perception.

MN2, thanks so much for the tint place name. I will check them out!

I decided NOT to get the type S, though I wanted it so bad. The base TL was stretching what I wanted to spend. Picking it up for $30,600. Not bad, eh? I'm getting the grey pearl. Blue had been my first choice, but it shows dirt too much. much like my Black '99 Integra GSR. If I want more HP, I'll do the open air intake, or whatever it is. 20hp is minimal to me.

Anyone have suggestions for tint? I've seen some cool new shades of tint that sort of changes color. No clue what that's called. If anyone finds that XM adapter link, please post.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2007, 07:31 AM
Cruisin'

Gps

Don't you guys think the GPS is way overpriced? They sure did push it at the dealer. My only regret about that is there's no way to add the backup camera (which is built into the GPS screen), which is very helpful I think. Oh well.

I will likely buy a separate GPS.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
Acuras Only in

Comparing to some of the other dealers who likes to force options on you, Acura is already less hassle IMO. For type-s Navi is included, so for folks like you who don't really enjoy using the GPS, this could be a potential deal breaker. But with the voice controlled Navi feature, don't you want to show off to your S. O. ? LOL
Old 06-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Cruisin'

Bought it!

I love this car!!! But yes, they did try to upsell me and they did. Sold me on a lowjack equivalent device and a tire hazard (which I always thought was B.S., but maybe useful in Atl). Anyway, fun to drive, but concerned about mpg. Right now I'm getting 14 mpg!
Old 06-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JeffAtl
I love this car!!! But yes, they did try to upsell me and they did. Sold me on a lowjack equivalent device and a tire hazard (which I always thought was B.S., but maybe useful in Atl). Anyway, fun to drive, but concerned about mpg. Right now I'm getting 14 mpg!
You have to break it in.

My TL-S gave me 31 mpg on a 225 mile trip yesterday at 70 MPH.

My car was bought almost 2 weeks ago and now has 1000+ miles on it
Old 06-17-2007, 08:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JeffAtl
Don't you guys think the GPS is way overpriced? They sure did push it at the dealer. My only regret about that is there's no way to add the backup camera (which is built into the GPS screen), which is very helpful I think. Oh well.

I will likely buy a separate GPS.
The OEM navi is quite decent, especially when paired with the rear camera. The only drawback is the search function through the software database, which can become quite tedious.

Save the 2K plus on the navi and get yourself a portable instead. A decent one should run about $800.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Cruisin'

I'm still getting ridiculously crappy gas mileage, at 17-18 mpg. At this rate, I'll end up selling and buying a used civic hybrid. Oh say it isn't so!
Old 06-24-2007, 10:09 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have an '04 manual and when I had the factory EL42's, my in-town average in the summer was in the mid 26's with a high of 27.98. The best highway mileage I managed was on a vacaton trip during the afternoon, with the A/C running the entire time, two people on board, with a trunk full of a week's luggage. Average speeds ranged from 62 to 78 MPH. The mileage for the first leg of this trip was 33.94 MPG.

Last year, I bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires for my TL and both the in-town and highway mileage dropped around 2 MPG due to the increased rolling resistance of these tires. But handling is better with them.

Incidently, these figures are for summer months. In the winter, you can expect to get lower fuel economy numbers than in the summer.