Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here, and need help choosing...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
New here, and need help choosing...

Hello, everyone.Finally in the market for a TL. Ive been set on a type-s, but Ive realized I dont really "need" it. So can you guys help talk me into a base TL? Pros, cons, personal opinion, anything... Thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:40 PM
Worth my weight in SSM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Either a small part of you or a big part of you will regret not getting a type S... This could be satisfied by dumping your savings into the moneypit almost immediately after you make your purchase. Drop, rims, Aspec if the car doesnt come with it already... And Ummm 6spd
Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
I have a base TL and I love it. I don't need an in dash navigation system because I have an external gps so why would I need 2? Plus the cd's for the updates to the internal gps are like $200, so I'll pass on that. Ride quality is basically the same and the TL-S is only a little bit faster than the base depending on which trans you go with. I actually prefer the look of my 07-08 base style rims over the TL-S rims and I like the tailights better as well. I guess it all depends on what you're going for with you're car. If you're more performance oriented and plan on doing things along that route a lot of people use the phrase "there's no replacement for displacement." If you're looking for a solid car that is pretty similar looks wise + - a few different things without the extra price tag I'm sure you would be totally happy with a base model.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:47 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Just curious, what made you decide not to get a Type-S? Can't find one with the color combo you want? I ended up waiting a little bit longer to find the Type-S I wanted and I'm glad I did. No one is ever disappointed they chose the Type-S over the base, but rather the opposite. I know you will still enjoy a base TL, but it will just make you that much more happier with it once you get the one you want.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

Yeah I really dont want to regret another car.. Id be happy with car too Machine. Would you say that they're really that comprable.. Like you said Duck I havent been able to find the combo I want and I have very little patience to begin with lol.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
I have a 08 base w/ navi. I hugely i mean HUGELY regret not getting a Type-S.. especially a 6spd type-s....

Why? Because the Type-S comes with stock quad exhaust tips, better headlights with no need for modifications, tail lights look nice, interior seats and door panels look a hell of a lot nicer (also Type-S has BLACK + SILVER 2-tone color combination and it looks SEXY).... Umm I really like the Type-S deck lid spoiler, not to mention it comes with a navigation system as a standard option, while the base model it's optional...

And to the person that said they rather have a GPS than the factory navigation, you have no idea how much the factory navigation COMPLETES the look of the interior in a luxury car... I've sat in a friends 08 TL WDP w/ ebony interior and it had no navigation. It had 2 plastic screens on the center that were seperated by like a .5-1 inch gap and it made the interior look so incomplete and cheap. Didn't set off the "luxury" feel of the car at all. Everything in the car was nice, but you look at the center and BAM 2 plastic screens, wtf?

NOT TO MENTION NAVIGATION SYSTEM COMES WITH A BACK-UP CAMERA.... You can bicker and debate all you want "I know how to back-up, I don't need a back up camera, I just use my rear/side view mirrors" blah blah blah. All I have to tell you is this. After owning and driven a few cars with no back-up camera and than finally owning a car with a navi + back-up camera, I DO NOT ever see myself purchasing another car in the future that doesn't come with a back-up camera. Why? 1. Like I said, it adds that luxury feel to the car. I've had so many people sit in my car and when I hit reverse and they see the screen they immediately give me compliments and are amazed. 2. It really helps when reversing. ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT TIME. Sometimes when you go to a mall and have to park in the parking garage, the parking spots are angled like this / / / / / and when you back out with a back-up camera it helps you see the left and right rear side of the car that you normally would not be able to see by turning your head or using your mirrors.

Pretty much the interior and exterior is very slightly nicer. For a person that doesn't own a TL or a TL-S the differences between the two are very little. Once you own a TL or a TL-S the differences between the two is pretty big and is a deal breaker (for me at least).

I didn't get a TL-S because I was on a budget... I got my 08 w/ navi +30k miles for $15otd (salvage title). A 07-08 TL-S at the time was going for $20-$23 clean title...

IF YOU ARE INTO THE PERFORMANCE ASPECT OF THE CAR THAN HERE'S A BREAKDOWN OF THE HP @ WHEELS

2004-2008 BASE AT (258HP @ crank) (2007-2008 only came in automatic, manual was only available in Type-S trim or 2004-2006)
210-215 HP to the wheels

2004-2006 Base MANUAL (258HP @ crank) + 2007-2008 Type-S AUTOMATIC (286HP @ crank)
230-235 HP to the wheels

2007-2008 Type-S MANUAL (286HP @ crank)
~250 HP to the wheels
Old 04-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Look at the Type-S Interior (SEATS + DOOR PANELS) vs Base model TL

NAVIGATION (comes with hands-free link means you can connect your phone to make calls, also you can give the navigation system voice commands like to turn the AC on, turn radio volume up or turn radio off, you can ENTER ADRESSES BY TALKING TO THE NAVIGATION SYSTEM or by manually hitting in the address) vs NO NAVIGATION

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 04-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
If I was in the market and had to choose between the two, I would get the S. Had it been available in 05, I would have bought it. But, I'm not going to running into a dealer to trade it in for one.

May I suggest that you spend a lot of time with both models and then decide.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a base w/ nav and I do love the car. I really do.... but I do somewhat regret not getting a Type-S 6mt. Every time I see one I cry a little inside knowing that I'm in a base and someone else is in that Type-S.

That being said, a TL Type-S is the only thing in my price range that I would trade my base TL in for. There's nothing that looks better or has a nicer interior. So if you have the choice of waiting for a Type-S, DO IT! Unfortunately for me, it was either get a base TL or be without a car for weeks while looking for a Type-S
Old 04-05-2012, 07:49 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
TL-S denotes a fully loaded TL, that's bascially as good as it gets, so if u plan to drive the car for a long time, you might as well get it all. Base is geared toward luxury and Type-S is geared toward sporty.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 PM
-Brandon

Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts
I really think your should wait it off and find the perfect Type-S. Since it's an older car, there is no reason not to have the best-of-the-best. It's hard to describe, but if you don't get a Type-S, you will feel that regret later on of "damn, I could have had one of those". As mentioned above, any modded TL is nice, and as far as the exterior, many people change their rims and tails so it's hard to justify a TRUE Type-S without looking under the hood or inside. Either way, both the Base and Type-S models are great, but if you ever come to find a Type-S that catches your eye, you won't be disappointed.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:01 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
If you have the money, I'd really suggest a Type-S, it's basically a faster and better looking base model with a lot of little extras you'll really appreciate. I jumped the gun getting the base TL because I couldn't stand what i was in and wanted a new car. If I saved up more I could have probably gotten a Type-S. But if cost is a priority (the car AND insurance), go with a base, honestly, I'm sure you'd be happy with either one. (Just to give you an idea of insurance, I was in an S10 and putting the TL on our policy made it go up $250 MORE a month, but I am 18 and in a sporty sedan, so...ya lol)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:09 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
If I was in the market and had to choose between the two, I would get the S. Had it been available in 05, I would have bought it. But, I'm not going to running into a dealer to trade it in for one.

May I suggest that you spend a lot of time with both models and then decide.
+1^^

my only option at the time in 05: 6MT or AT, navi was a given. happy my brother convinced me to get the 6MT!!

no regrets on my 05 when i bought her new.

when the type-s came out but...oh well. still love my 05 6MT!!
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got my 07 Base TL about a month ago and I can not stay out of it. I dont know if it's because I have been cruisin around in a beat up impala but this car is just a fun, nice ride. Also the CGP color Ive got it in is in my opionion one of the most unique and nice colors on the TL. Im a valet attendant and I've parked a few different cars I'd like to think...as far as base or type S goes, I'll agree with what previous members have posted in that it just depends if you are geared towards just cruisin or if you want the performance aspect. I had active teenage years in terms of throwing money at the state for "traffic violations", so I went with the base...shes still got some giddy-up though for sure.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Registered Member

Received 802 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
And to the person that said they rather have a GPS than the factory navigation, you have no idea how much the factory navigation COMPLETES the look of the interior in a luxury car... I've sat in a friends 08 TL WDP w/ ebony interior and it had no navigation. It had 2 plastic screens on the center that were seperated by like a .5-1 inch gap and it made the interior look so incomplete and cheap. Didn't set off the "luxury" feel of the car at all. Everything in the car was nice, but you look at the center and BAM 2 plastic screens, wtf
That would be me, lol. Yeah I can agree to an extent that the interior does look nicer with it, but I have heard complaints from people with the navigation that it never really seems to take you the best route and you always feel that there is a better way to get to your destination. I also find it funny about this "luxury" feel you speak of. It is supposed to be an entry luxury car, but look at all the things we do to the car to take away the "luxury" aspect of it. LED this and that, aspec kit, rims, lowering the car, etc, but now because the car doesn't come with navigation the car interior is all of a sudden not luxury enough anymore? I guess it's all about opinion and what the OP wants or needs in a vehicle. I know I don't mind not having the interior navigation or back up camera although it probably would help backing up with my 5% tint, but my girl has that in her car and I have never looked up at the back up camera once when I use her car, so I really don't need to pay extra for it in mine. Some people probably do look back and regret not getting a type-s, but I guess the OP has to figure out if he's one of those people or not. OP, I'm a pretty impatient person too, but if you think you may feel this way, I would hold off for the type-s, that way you won't feel like you're missing out on something in the end.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by The Machine
That would be me, lol. Yeah I can agree to an extent that the interior does look nicer with it, but I have heard complaints from people with the navigation that it never really seems to take you the best route and you always feel that there is a better way to get to your destination. I also find it funny about this "luxury" feel you speak of. It is supposed to be an entry luxury car, but look at all the things we do to the car to take away the "luxury" aspect of it. LED this and that, aspec kit, rims, lowering the car, etc, but now because the car doesn't come with navigation the car interior is all of a sudden not luxury enough anymore? I guess it's all about opinion and what the OP wants or needs in a vehicle. I know I don't mind not having the interior navigation or back up camera although it probably would help backing up with my 5% tint, but my girl has that in her car and I have never looked up at the back up camera once when I use her car, so I really don't need to pay extra for it in mine. Some people probably do look back and regret not getting a type-s, but I guess the OP has to figure out if he's one of those people or not. OP, I'm a pretty impatient person too, but if you think you may feel this way, I would hold off for the type-s, that way you won't feel like you're missing out on something in the end.
Yes there is different levels of luxury. Entry level luxury costing 30k, and other luxury cars costing upwards towards 100k. Either way, to me a luxury car is incomplete without a factory navigation.... Like I said, it brings the interior look all together. Hell, 20k volkswagens and civics also have a option for a NAVI, but even though they have one it doesn't really make the car feel luxury at all. However if you are purchasing a luxury car (in this case a entry-level luxury) and you get inside only to see 2 plastic screens that just kills it for me. Seeing a nice 7 inch touch screen makes everything flow together very well.

Adding LEDs doesn't take away from the luxury aspect of the car. A few more expensive luxury cars come with LEDs standard (license plates, interior lighting). White interior LED lighting makes the interior of the car look much nicer and "luxury" compared to the halogen yellow bulbs at night.

How does A-Spec kit take away the luxury aspect also? It transforms the look of a plain luxury car into a luxury sport car. Look at the Lexus IS with the F-Sport package or the new Lexus GS with the F-Sport package. They both add wheels and a lip kit to the car to make it look more aggressive and sporty while still being a luxury car.

Rims and lowering the doesn't really take away from the luxury aspect of the car either. Rims enhances the look of the already nice looking car (and can also be considered performance if you switch to lighter weight wheels) while suspension work helps with handling and improves the look of the car.

If all of these are done very subtle and not over done than the car will still remain luxury-looking.

This is taking away from the luxury aspect of the car. But clearly this car was used for track purposes.

This is a nicely modded TL with all the above mentioned mods (drop, wheels, lip kit). Despite it being heavily modded, it still looks nice and luxury.... Just because you mod a car doesn't mean it's not luxury anymore. It depends on how it's done.

This is getting way off track, but I agree with you that it's up the OP to see if he cares about having a navi or not.

I will admit that when I was shopping for a TL (Was choosing between 07-08 TSX or TL) I checked out about 3-5 TLs in person and none of them had a navigation. I didn't care much for it and didn't even bother to find one with it. Than when I went to go check out a TL that was just in my price range it turned out that it did have a navi. This was the first time I seen a navi TL in person. I didn't think twice about it because I was just like you. I was like "meh". But after purchasing it and owning it, I'm very happy that I got a TL with a navi.

I didn't think about the TL-S at all at the time because it was out of my price range and to me a base model TL was a HUGE upgrade as it was. But now that I have a base TL, I regret not getting a 6spd type-s tremendously.

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 04-05-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
I was going base until I thought about the day I bought my prelude.
"You don't need the V-tec, it's all the same : )" -1 year later- "Gadamnit I wish I had the H23A! >"

anyway, I'll just slip this right here...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Both are excellent cars. If you have the wherewithall to get the Type S, do so.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
if i had a choice of a perfect TL-S or Base TL and money was no object, TLS hands down.

But alas, I simply could not afford a TLS and the 7k premium it had over the TL I ended up with. 6MT keeps me entertained enough and it has navi, and I have absolutely no regrets. my ABP is a great color and car. Good luck, OP.

But at least get the 6MT of either model. That's a given.

Last edited by ez12a; 04-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Honestly, choose want you need. If you have the means and deep down you honestly want the type-s then get it. Or else you will regret for as long as you have the car. Like I said, don't be writing any hot checks. Get what you need and dont worry about the should haves and could haves.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
IMO don't settle for less get a Type S. OP I would go out and test drive both the base and the Type S and see which one fit you best. Some people like the sporty of the Type S had to offer other people want the base TL because the soft suspension like Lexus, navi is personal choice but let me tell you I did not regret get my Type S over the base I getting Type S because my wife can't drive standard (medical history) and I also has a 3 months old baby so this vehicle was intended for family use so I just get the Type S to make everyone in the family happy, oh the Type S compensate the WHP lost compare to base MT. I use Back up camera to help me figure out when I need to see how much room I got between bumper to bumper and I am sure that you can't back up far enough without hitting anyone. GL with your hunt for a TL that fit you best.

Last edited by truonghthe; 04-05-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the input everyone. It seems the search will continue.. After reading everything I know Id regret not getting the type-s. Im definitely more of a performance guy so why settle for less.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Sex Bom Omb

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Don't forget the brembo brakes....Personally coming from a 01 civic, it took me a while to realize a tl-s would be the best fit. It has everything and more than i could ask for.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Intermediate

Thats a hell of an upgrade lol.. I love the TL-S but the more I look at it and price mods for it, its actually seeming like it might be more then I need.. BTW is anyone running the atlp quads on their base?
Old 04-06-2012, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
IMO don't settle for less get a Type S. OP I would go out and test drive both the base and the Type S and see which one fit you best. Some people like the sporty of the Type S had to offer other people want the base TL because the soft suspension like Lexus, navi is personal choice but let me tell you I did not regret get my Type S over the base I getting Type S because my wife can't drive standard (medical history) and I also has a 3 months old baby so this vehicle was intended for family use so I just get the Type S to make everyone in the family happy, oh the Type S compensate the WHP lost compare to base MT. I use Back up camera to help me figure out when I need to see how much room I got between bumper to bumper and I am sure that you can't back up far enough without hitting anyone. GL with your hunt for a TL that fit you best.
Beg to differ, there is no car in the Acura lineup that has a soft suspension like a Lexus.
The following 2 users liked this post by ggesq:
Healingduck (04-06-2012), TLtrigirl (04-06-2012)
Old 04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by J_AZ
Thats a hell of an upgrade lol.. I love the TL-S but the more I look at it and price mods for it, its actually seeming like it might be more then I need.. BTW is anyone running the atlp quads on their base?
Look at it this way... If you get a base model automatic, no matter how much money you throw at it, it'll never be as quick as a Type-S or 6spd type-s with the same mods... The 6spd type-s will always have way more torque than a base AT at any given RPM and will also have more HP.

I would recommend a 2004-2006 6spd base model for you.... AT are so slow, even with full bolt ons...
Old 04-06-2012, 04:11 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments viet.. Its just soo damn hard finding either a type-s or a 6mt.. Im looking, but Im honestly getting a little discouraged.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
IF YOU ARE INTO THE PERFORMANCE ASPECT OF THE CAR THAN HERE'S A BREAKDOWN OF THE HP @ WHEELS

2004-2008 BASE AT (258HP @ crank) (2007-2008 only came in automatic, manual was only available in Type-S trim or 2004-2006)
210-215 HP to the wheels

2004-2006 Base MANUAL (258HP @ crank) + 2007-2008 Type-S AUTOMATIC (286HP @ crank)
230-235 HP to the wheels

2007-2008 Type-S MANUAL (286HP @ crank)
~250 HP to the wheels
If you buy a AT Base model TL, it will net about ~215hp to the wheels on a dyno. You will have to spend nearly $2,000 in power mods (precat-deletes or highflow cats, j-pipe, cat-back exhaust system, cold air intake, lightweight crank pulley) just to hit 240-250HP to the wheels...

Your TL may be able to keep up with a 6spd base and MAYBE the 6spd type-s, but because of the longer gear ratios in the 5AT, the 6spd base and type-s will outrun you at top end speed (80+) easily.

If you started with a TL-S 6spd @ 250HP, with the same $2,000 worth of modifications you will be able to easily reach 280HP @ at the wheels...

We warned you man. If you don't get a Type-S or 6spd type-s you will hugely regret it a few months after settling into your base model TL.

To be honest, I'm a little discouraged to mod my base TL for performance because I know no matter how much I mod it, it will never be as fast as a 6spd base, 5AT type-s or even a 6spd type-s with the same mods... I have to put in over $1000 just to be in the same shoes as those guys while they are DEAD STOCK... very discouraging...

Last edited by vietxquangstah; 04-06-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm more then happy with my base TL because it was within my means and my budget.

Would I like to have a type S ? Heck yeah but my budget would not allow it.

Someone will also have better or faster car then you. I think it is all about being happy with what you have.

Best of luck to you
Old 04-06-2012, 04:56 PM
Intermediate

Thanks again Viet, I was getting a little (a lot) ahead of myself. That modd bug bit me hard and I dont even have the car yet lol!!
Your examples and numbers have cooled me down for the time being..
Old 04-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Intermediate

Hey Jtai, thanks for stoppin in.. I think Id be happy with a base, but I know Id be happy with a Type-S. Like Viet helped me see Id rather just get what I want rather then try to make a Base something its not.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have been searching for the perfect TL-S for about a month. Ebay, Cars.com and Autotrader.com have quite a few to choose from.

Be willing to travel for the right one and the right price.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

Hello Renescent, yeah I know what you mean.. My search has been extended to 200+miles. TL's in my area tend not to stay on lots for very long.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
I much prefer the all black interior that you can get in the base model. I'm not really a fan of the two tone interior on the type s, its just too busy looking for my taste. I also prefer the brushed aluminum trim over the black chrome and I also like how the base does not have the additional stitching on the door panels. Very minor details, I know...

On the other hand, I prefer the type s tail lights, side markers, and thicker RSB so I added them to my base

Get the base and add what you like according to your taste
Old 04-06-2012, 06:20 PM
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Since you had to ask get a tls. You will always wonder what if I
Old 04-06-2012, 06:23 PM
Intermediate

Hey 3gstealth, that might be what I end up doing if I cant find a Type-S in the next few months. I know I would modd the crap out of a base, but should I really?
Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Try extending your mile radius a bit more? If you want the car that much, you might want to consider neighboring states.

I think there was one member who actually flew over two or three states to get his dream Type S. From what I recall, he enjoyed the drive back home in his new car.

Also, there's absolutely nothing wrong with getting a base TL. Both are great cars IMO! Just be sure that you're absolutely happy with whatever you get. You don't want a severe case of buyer's remorse. :S
Old 04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Intermediate

CesarRod- I hate what ifs!!! But I just want to start modding!
Old 04-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Also, the 04-06 base will always be faster than 07-08 type s (in a long enough race )

07-08 had the top speed regulated to 130ish while the 04-06 will wind out to 160ish.

You would have to spend an additional $1200 on an ecu for the type s which could remove the speed governor.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 385 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by 3gstealth
Also, the 04-06 base will always be faster than 07-08 type s (in a long enough race )

07-08 had the top speed regulated to 130ish while the 04-06 will wind out to 160ish.

You would have to spend an additional $1200 on an ecu for the type s which could remove the speed governor.
i sure as hell wouldn't take a TL up to 160mph can the TL even handle going so fast??