New Guy with a new (to me) TL! :D

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009 | 09:58 PM
9 mpg.

New Guy with a new (to me) TL! :D

Sup everyone, name's David. My parents surprised me the other day with a TL as my first car. I love the car and am into making it a classy car with a slightly sportier side than it already has, no rice lol. After registration etc., the car came out to about $11,900. I'm in love with it however, I haven't gotten to drive it anywhere except up and down my block cause some bastard(s) (sorry for the language) stole my 2010 tags off my license plate while it was parked in front of the mechanic's shop. I'm indescribably grateful for the car since I was expecting something along the lines of a Prelude :P haha no offense to any prelude owners but TL>'Lude for me. I work part time (20-25hrs) and am a full time student so the TL is really my pride and joy/ chance to just enjoy the moment. Anyways, here are the specs.

*9/10/09*
-2004 TL 5AT non-navi
Silver, I think you guys call it "SSM"..?
97,012, 20-25 from me.
First Car
Date Purchased: 9/9/09
Mods ATM: None, Bone Stock..for now

Things Done So Far:
- New Battery
- Oil Change
- Tire Rotation
- Car came with basically new tires, lotsa' tread.
- Bought a cassete/ipod adapter. lol

Things I've noticed:
- The subwoofer really hits hard at low volumes. Unless adjusted into the negative. It sounds better when the volume is turned up past 15. Any recommendations on a better sound system or anything I can do to improve the current one?
- This car has a lack of low-end power. My dad's ES350 feels stronger coming off the line. Gotta' fix that. lol
- The sportshift is not as responsive as I thought but I love it none the less. I feel like I got the best of both worlds.

Things I want to do/install: *Maybe. In no specific order.
1) Cold Air Intake (CAI) - Any reccomendations? I was looking at Injen.
2) A-Spec Bodykit - where can I get this?
3) New Exhaust - any reccomendations? I really want a deep exhaust tone.
4) *Possible Weight Reduction if Deemed necessary, The "TL Diet".
5) 2007/2008 Switchblade Key: Where to get it?
6) *Aftermarket Ipod Integration Unit: Worth it? Where to get it?
7) Blacked out lights: Is this DIY or do I get this from somewhere?
8) LED blue lights on the door and inside the car: From e-bay.
9) Different tail lights: Any reccomendations?
*Anything else you guys think I should add on?

Misc:
- I've got the SSM, what color combo should I do? SSM with black rims or silver rims? I'm into the sportier look, any reccomendations?
- I'm a broke-a** student everyone lol, so I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck out of everything I buy.
- Are there any cheap/DIY mods I can do at home with basic tools? I'm itching to work since it's just sitting there.
- At home we got 3 rides; '07 Lexus ES350 (35k) Dad's car. '04 MDX (91.5k) Mom's Car. '04 TL (97k) My ride.

Last edited by D's Up; 09-11-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2009 | 10:02 PM
Burning Brakes

soontobe is selling his rims in the black market theyre off of a ssm so u know what theyll look like on the car and its a hell of a deal....
Old 09-11-2009 | 11:10 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by djtanveer
soontobe is selling his rims in the black market theyre off of a ssm so u know what theyll look like on the car and its a hell of a deal....
Thanks for the tip mang.

BTW, my car didn't come with a manual.What exactly do I do/say to connect my bluetooth to my phone. Add new line? Add new phone? lol, if someone could please write out the steps. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2009 | 11:15 PM
9 mpg.

Nevermind, I guess the LG voyager isn't compatible with the HFL in the '04 TL. Damn.
Old 09-11-2009 | 11:49 PM

David welcome! You are now going to be even more broke than before because you have joined this site haha. You are very fortunate your parents bought you the car! That's awesome. People will eventually bash you about it, but don't worry, there will always be haters.

Here are my opinions on your little list of shit to do:
1-I had a Injen CAI on my CL-S and I loved it. I have a K&N on my 04 TL and I love it as well. Tons of people on this site are in love with the AEM V2.
2-www.hondaacuraworld.com is an official vendor for Acurazine. They will usually give you a discount or free shipping if you tell them that you are a "AZ" member (don't quote me on that though). You can buy the whole A-Spec kit through them. That's where I will be hopefully ordering mine within the next 6 months or so.
3-There are quite a few choices but many require bumper modification, especially if you decide to go after a quad set-up similar to the TL-S. My friend has the Comptech catback exhaust and it sounds awesome. You should check out www.acuratlparts.com. Their products are straight up sexy and their exhausts are awesome.
4-I thought about doing that as well and said the hell with it. It's a luxury car, not a weekend track car. Just don't gun it everywhere and your MPG won't suffer.
5-There are a few vendors on this site that do those. Search around and you will find it. Sorry I'm too lazy right now
6-Check out the Audio section. There are tons of threads about that topic. I don't have one so I'm not going to say anything about it haha
7-Both. You can do it yourself which will involve taking off your front bumper, taking the headlights out, putting them in the oven to loosen up the sealant, taking the light apart and painting it whatever you want black and also breaking the clips that hold in the orange diffuser, putting it back together and sealing it up. There is a DIY in the 3G Garage. There is a guy on here, JnC, that does absolutely gorgeous work on headlights. Send him a PM with some questions on pricing and such and he can fill you in.
8-I have all white LED's in my car and they are awesome. I got mine from superbrightleds.com. They have crazy fast shipping and the prices are very very reasonable.
9-You could swap them directly with another set of 3G taillights, no matter the model year. A lot of people opt to go with the 07-08 TL-S. I think those will look the best on your color.
*Have you thought about tinting your windows? It helps a ton with heat and protecting your interior, pretty much no matter what % you get. I have 35% all around and it's awesome; legal as well(here in NC though; every state is different).
*Thought about any wheel/tire/suspension modifications? I just got a set of Gunmetal A-Specs and I'm in love with them. Even on the stock 17's, adding a drop really gives the car a whole new stance and "attitude".
*You said you are into the "sporty" look. With wanting to add the A-Spec kit, lowering the car would help with that. Adding a spoiler on the back might as well. There are two you can choose from; the Wing Spoiler and the Lip Spoiler. Eventually I'll slap the Lip on my trunk.
*De-badge the back. Take off the ACURA and TL, leaving the "A". It gives the back a clean and uncluttered look.
*Do you have the pinstripes down the side? You could get those taken off.
*DIY paint your brake calipers. The calipers on the auto TL's look like shit I think, especially if you eventually get some sick ass wheels. Pretty much any color will make them look better. You could always upgrade the rotors and pads for better braking performance.

Try to get a general theme of the car you want. I'm trying to get a white and black theme going for my car (minus the gunmetal wheels of course). There are tons of pictures on this site. Look around, get a list of what you would like to eventually get on the car, and work towards it. Don't do what I did and just drop bank as soon as you get the car and have a shit ton of parts that really don't go together haha.

Sorry I rambled on, I tend to do that. Good luck with the TL!
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:34 AM
9 mpg.

WOW! Thanks for all the info man. hahaha. I don't think I know the car well enough to do any DIY stuff YET. I'll definitely look at all the links you showed me. And yes I know there will be haters, my best friend is one lol .

*Random: I just took the car out to an empty strip of road and finally pushed it a bit. WHOA, lots of torque steer. I don't think I'll need more power for a while, or at least until I get used to the amount I have now. haha

*This car truly is a luxury car and not a sports car lol. Takes turns pretty heavy. Oh well, it's a once in a while thing.

*http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rim...k%20gloss.html > What do you guys think of these rims for my SSM? I got a guy who might sell 4 of 'em in decent condition for $400.

*To answer your question. The basic theme of my car as far as I want is as follows:
- A-spec bodykit
- possible a-spec suspension or just a drop to better handling (opinions?)
- SSM with either white/silver/black/gold rims. I tend to go for multiple spokes, but I'm open to anything.
- blacked out headlights, type-s tail lights, and IDK what color side markers.
- As OEM as possible.
- Better Bass quality, every once in a while a man made earthquake is nice

Once again, money is of the essence though. lol So every decision must be thoroughly inspected and thought thru before purchasing anything haha.
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:38 AM
winner

ive been reading for a while, just started posting.
i think i'm going to do:
-aem v2 CAI
-Downpipe/testpipe
anyone have any suggestions for places in so cal?
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:40 AM
Advanced

Hey David I see your from So-Cal too I got my 04 last july and its been great. im sure youll enjoy it, just do the regular maintenance and it should last a while longer. As far as mods go, i would definitely get the A-Spec kit and do the blacked out headlights. Also, maybe you should consider the 07-08 base taillights too thats what i plan to get in the next few months. As far as intakes, Ive heard good things about Injen and AEM but most members here like the AEM V2.

Last edited by AD-TL04; 09-12-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:52 AM
I'm Craig

I'd go with an AEM CAI. I'm in the process of getting one.

Check eBay, the blackmarket, etc first. But hondaacuraworld.com

Just a resonator delete will do wonders...

Good idea. There's lots of crap that can be removed for weight reduction. I'm not sure if it really is that noticeable though.

Heeltoeautomotive. "MrHeeltoe" is a vendor on this site and have heard pretty good things about him. Here's a link to the key- http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Fastline-...-pr-64771.html

Hmm. My car has a USA Spec iPod kit in the center console
http://usaspec.com/

Check out JnC's work. https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/custom-headlights-jnc-continued-718576/

V-Leds.com is a good place for LEDS.

Do Type-S tails.

As for wheels, don't do black, IMO. And get the A-Spec kit before you do any other mods to the exterior.

The TL is a great car. An amazing first car at that...I know the feeling. You got the right color!
Old 09-12-2009 | 12:59 AM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by AD-TL04
Hey David I see your from So-Cal too I got my 04 last july and its been great. im sure youll enjoy it, just do the regular maintenance and it should last a while longer. As far as mods go, i would definitely get the A-Spec kit and do the blacked out headlights. Also, maybe you should consider the 07-08 base taillights too thats what i plan to get in the next few months. As far as intakes, Ive heard good things about Injen and AEM but most members here like the AEM V2.
Lots of so-cal bros here.

Yeah, I think I'll leave performance mods for later on. Right now my main focus is gonna be cosmetics and audio. I'm still learning with the current power of the car, I don't need to add anymore and put innocent driver's lives on the line...for right now lol.

So I want to put my money down on:
- Better Bass.
- Blacked out headlights
- Type-S or 07-08 base tail lights
- Gotta think of a good color for the side markers
- A-spec bodykit
- A-spec badge for the trunk
- Rims IDK yet, I need to pick a good color scheme for the car. SSM body, black interior, blue HID's, what color LED's inside and what color rims?
Old 09-12-2009 | 01:04 AM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by cjTL
I'd go with an AEM CAI. I'm in the process of getting one.

Check eBay, the blackmarket, etc first. But hondaacuraworld.com

Just a resonator delete will do wonders...

Good idea. There's lots of crap that can be removed for weight reduction. I'm not sure if it really is that noticeable though.

Heeltoeautomotive. "MrHeeltoe" is a vendor on this site and have heard pretty good things about him. Here's a link to the key- http://www.heeltoeauto.com/Fastline-...-pr-64771.html

Hmm. My car has a USA Spec iPod kit in the center console
http://usaspec.com/

Check out JnC's work. https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=718576

V-Leds.com is a good place for LEDS.

Do Type-S tails.

As for wheels, don't do black, IMO. And get the A-Spec kit before you do any other mods to the exterior.

The TL is a great car. An amazing first car at that...I know the feeling. You got the right color!
Thanks man, good to see another teen with a TL on here as there first car. I don't feel as bad now lol.

What color scheme do you think would look good? SSM with gold/silver/white rims?

*TO EVERYONE: my focus will be on cosmetic/audio mods before performance mods for now. see above post for reason.

That being said, I want to do this ALL right. In what order do you guys recommend I buy the mods? like what first, second, third, etc.

MOD LIST for reference:
- Better Bass.
- Blacked out headlights
- A-spec bodykit
- Rims IDK yet, I need to pick a good color scheme for the car. SSM body, black interior, blue HID's, what color LED's inside and what color rims?

Question: What do you guys of debadging the trunk and just leaving the Acura logo and then throwing on the A-spec badge at the middle/bottom/top right side.
Old 09-12-2009 | 01:13 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Congrats. Pics?
Old 09-12-2009 | 01:16 AM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by princelybug
Congrats. Pics?
On my cell. I'll see if I can find a site to host 'em.

Finalizing my list of mods right now.
Old 09-12-2009 | 01:27 AM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by Type-DM 2004 TL
On my cell. I'll see if I can find a site to host 'em.

Finalizing my list of mods right now.
Nevermind I'll take pictures of it off the digi cam some other time.
Old 09-12-2009 | 01:32 AM
9 mpg.

What do you guys think of the JL sub in the link? I'll offer 80-$100. That is if it's good. lol

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/pts/1364122321.html
Old 09-12-2009 | 10:14 AM
I'm Craig

What do you guys think of the JL sub in the link? I'll offer 80-$100. That is if it's good. lol

That's a pretty good deal if you can get it for less than $100, IMO.
Old 09-12-2009 | 10:16 AM
I'm Craig

Thanks man, good to see another teen with a TL on here as there first car. I don't feel as bad now lol.

What color scheme do you think would look good? SSM with gold/silver/white rims?
Haha.

And I'd leave the gold to WDPs. I'm not sure how that'd look on an SSM. White could be pretty cool looking though.
Old 09-12-2009 | 01:45 PM
2004 SSM FTMFW !!!!

Congrats on your new ride bro.
Old 09-12-2009 | 05:55 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by Dat Boi Ralph
Congrats on your new ride bro.
Thanks man and nice SSM.
Old 09-12-2009 | 05:57 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by cjTL
That's a pretty good deal if you can get it for less than $100, IMO.
The guy said he'll give it to me for $80 if I pick it up. So, is this good piece of audio equipment? Should I pick it up? And how do I install it?

All I know is that right now, my mom's '04 MDX (stock) has a better system than my TL.

BTW here's the link for you guys that don't know what I'm talking about. It's the JL sub.

Old 09-12-2009 | 06:43 PM
Burning Brakes

welcome to AZ
Old 09-12-2009 | 07:00 PM
Advanced

Lots of so-cal bros here.

Yeah, I think I'll leave performance mods for later on. Right now my main focus is gonna be cosmetics and audio. I'm still learning with the current power of the car, I don't need to add anymore and put innocent driver's lives on the line...for right now lol.

So I want to put my money down on:
- Better Bass.
- Blacked out headlights
- A-spec bodykit
I would debadge the "ACURA" and "TL" and throw the A-Spec badge on or just leave the emblems and throw the A-Spec badge on. And for LEDs i would go with white, although blue might go well with your theme its not very practical. I would say just use blue for the front door lights if you choose to. For rims, I think gunmetal rims or black rims would go well with SSM.
Old 09-12-2009 | 10:33 PM
9 mpg.

Stuff I want to do to the '04 TL. Not gonna mess with performance and suspension for now. I've got enough power as it is and handling is good enough, it's a luxury car, not a sports car.

Audio: *DIY articles on Acurazine for all
- New sub (Craigslist) *Preferably JL.
- New amp (Craigslist)
- Ipod adapter with radio control capability (craigslist, ebay, local)

Exterior Cosmetics:
- Accord Fog Lights Mod (ebay, craigslist) *DIY article on Acurazine
- Blacked Out Headlights DIY or buy 'em (Acurazine) *DIY article on Acurazine
- 2007/2008 TL-S Tail Lights (ebay, Craigslist) *DIY article on Acurazine
- Custom Side Markers. (ebay) *DIY Article on Acurazine
- A-spec bodykit (www.hondaacuraworld.com) *MAYBE. $750 or less only.
- Debadge Trunk except for Acura Emblem *MAYBE
- A-Spec Badge on Trunk (ebay) *MAYBE. Only if I get the A-Spec bodykit.

Interior:
- LED lights (www.superbrightleds.com) *Probably White

Misc:
- 2007/2008 Acura Switchblade Key
- Tint Job *MAYBE. Depends on price. MOOLA BABY!
- Paint Brake Calipers. *Gotta' Pick a color that looks good with SSM. Red probably.
- Resonator Delete For Deep Exhaust Tone. *DIY Article on Acurazine.
Old 09-12-2009 | 11:40 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Welcome to the boards.

If you paint your calipers black

When they get dirty you won't see the dust and also the color won't change as they get older.

Good luck modding.
Old 09-12-2009 | 11:42 PM
9 mpg.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-EN...mZ260474306140

can somebody chop those onto a stock silver TL?
Old 09-12-2009 | 11:48 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Those would look sick.

Let me edit my statement.

If you are going to get black wheels then paint your calipers silver.
Old 09-13-2009 | 12:25 AM
I need a car in

are you bashing on the lude?!?!?!?!?!?jk, welcome sir! i had a the prelude as my first car and i loved that thing when i was in highschool, had the 97 and i riced it out like no other car yet not to the max.

congrats on your tl. i recently got mine and im also a student. as for best bang for the buck i say try not to cheap out on the stuff. save up and get the right stuff first time. many people will tell you what you should get and shouldnt on here! im building my entertainment set up right now....costing more then i expected =[
Old 09-13-2009 | 05:33 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Welcome to the forums! Finally, someone young who APPRECIATES their car. Honestly, you're probably one of the most mature here on the forum for your age. I'm glad you work hard for your money and are thankful towards your parents.

Okay, anyways here's my help. I actually wrote a lot last night and there was a blackout, FML.

Things I want to do/install: *Maybe. In no specific order.
1) Cold Air Intake (CAI) - I personally have the AEM CAI, as do the majority of azine members. However, at the time we didn't know the AEM V2 (from accords) also fitted the TL. So, I recommend the v2.

2) A-Spec Bodykit - I got mine on ebay from a legit dealership, and combined that offer with the MS cashback promotion. If you can't find a good deal on ebay, just go with hondacuraworld.

3) New Exhaust - Depends on your price, personally I LOVE ATLP, best exhaust ever. I believe Mike has the base model exhaust now, you can check them out at Heeltoeauto.com

4) *Possible Weight Reduction if Deemed necessary, The "TL Diet" The BEST person to asks is INaccurate, but before you do check this thread and read: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...utting+tl+diet

5) 2007/2008 Switchblade Key: Heeltoeauto.com has all the info.

6) *Aftermarket Ipod Integration Unit: Not my department sorry, but if the 04's have a aux jack, I say just get an AUX cable, perfect non-static sound.

7) Blacked out lights: Depends on how familar you are with light modifications. If you're a little afraid hit up JNC.

8) LED blue lights on the door and inside the car: My very first mod was blue interior lights which I purchased from ebay. I haven't seen them since; however, I recommend V-LEDS. They have excellent products.

9) Different tail lights: I say go with the TL-S tails, easiest to do. I personally just customized my tails, and it's the only one on AZINE, pics up soon

Hope that helps, pm me or write questions here, I'll check back.
Old 09-13-2009 | 12:26 PM
Engineer and Machinist

*http://www.wheelsnext.com/wheels-rim...k%20gloss.html > What do you guys think of these rims for my SSM? I got a guy who might sell 4 of 'em in decent condition for $400.
For the love of cars do not put these wheels or anything else that resembles these wheels on your car.
Old 09-13-2009 | 01:00 PM
9 mpg.

Damn, Thanks Jai! Nice comprehensive list.

And to the guy above me; Okay, I won't. lol

What are the best bang for your buck pipes?

And what's the absolute best?

Should I do buy a CAI first or pipe first?

In what order should I do the mods if it was up to you guys; i.e. Audio stuff first, then exterior cosmetics, etc. ?
Old 09-13-2009 | 01:08 PM
Stickr Mstr

...pics///
Old 09-13-2009 | 01:08 PM
Instructor

www.hondaacuraworld.com - wait for the group buys
the BB exhausts from excelerate are nice
i got a USA SPEC through crutchfield - not too hard, installation took probably 2 hours - there are two versions of this -- make sure you get the right one.
*Anything else you guys think I should add on?
I got the ATLP roof spoiler, Sarona makes one as well.

tim
Old 09-13-2009 | 01:23 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by sk8ter4life
...pics///

lol, second time I've been asked for pictures. How can I get pix from my cell phone online? anyone know?
Old 09-13-2009 | 09:00 PM
6th Gear

Nevermind, I guess the LG voyager isn't compatible with the HFL in the '04 TL. Damn.
Yea your voyager will work with the blue tooth. i got a 04 and a voyager to. I will try to check the manual for you. I forgot exactly what to do off the top of my head.
Old 09-13-2009 | 11:16 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by street shark07
Yea your voyager will work with the blue tooth. i got a 04 and a voyager to. I will try to check the manual for you. I forgot exactly what to do off the top of my head.
Yeah? Hmm, I tried but hey if you say so. lol, I definitely want it to work . Seems like a waste of a feature if I don't get to use it.

More Questions/Comments!: lol

1) Ok, I finally understand the basics of audio equipment. I want to install new "subs" (either 10"s, or 12"s) and an amp. Can anyone recommend some good subs and a good amp for a decent price, remember lol "broke ass student" jk.

2) Everyday, I learn more and more about this car and feel more in tune with the driving experience.. "I'm lovin' it.."

3) If I remove the front license plate where else could/should I put it? Is it legal in CA?

4) Are there any cheap DIY's I can do at home with basic tools?

5) Once I buy an aftermarket/upgraded part, can I sell the OEM part(s) or keep them? I.e.; upgrade to type-S tails and sidemarkers, should I sell my OEM tail lights and side markers. I was thinking that since this car's gonna be with me for some time, I might as well sell OEM parts as I upgrade because 1) I won't be selling anytime "soon" haha and 2) Say I pay $200 for the tail lights and side markers and then sell the OEM one's for $100. It's like getting cash back.

Thanks again guys.

Last edited by D's Up; 09-13-2009 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2009 | 11:30 PM

^Alpine Type-R subwoofer. I had a 4-ohm 12" in my TL wired up to a JL 500/1. Earlier in the year before I quite my job and when I actually had money , I bought my girlfriend a 10" Alpine Type-R wired up to my old Alpine MRP-450 amp. I even taped off the box and painted the face of it purple for her. Everybody will have a different opinion on that subject from their experience, but I loved mine with a passion; I recently sold it so I could make a payment on the car.

I'm not going to comment on everything you just mentioned but I highly doubt that you will get $100 for your stock tails. Like you, most people are going from the 04-06 base tails to the 07-08 base or Type-S tails. You never know though! Some money back is better than no money!

I'm tellin ya man, tint that bitch up! It will help with the heat and also help block the haters from seeing you
Old 09-13-2009 | 11:33 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
^Alpine Type-R subwoofer. I had a 4-ohm 12" in my TL wired up to a JL 500/1. Earlier in the year before I quite my job and when I actually had money , I bought my girlfriend a 10" Alpine Type-R wired up to my old Alpine MRP-450 amp. I even taped off the box and painted the face of it purple for her. Everybody will have a different opinion on that subject from their experience, but I loved mine with a passion; I recently sold it so I could make a payment on the car.

I'm not going to comment on everything you just mentioned but I highly doubt that you will get $100 for your stock tails. Like you, most people are going from the 04-06 base tails to the 07-08 base or Type-S tails. You never know though! Some money back is better than no money!

I'm tellin ya man, tint that bitch up! It will help with the heat and also help block the haters from seeing you
Alright.

LOL. I know I have a very miniscule chance at getting $100 for the stock tails. Just an example, haha.

I'm not too familiar with tint work. nor the price of the job itself and how much tint I should get done. lol NOOB
Old 09-13-2009 | 11:40 PM

Alright.

LOL. I know I have a very miniscule chance at getting $100 for the stock tails. Just an example, haha.

I'm not too familiar with tint work. nor the price of the job itself and how much tint I should get done. lol NOOB
Haha it's all good man, no biggie.

As for deciding how dark you want it, darker is always sweeter, but it may not be legal in your state. Check out this link and look up your state's laws on tint:http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Here in NC, a car cannot have tint any darker than 32%. Because the windows already have a "natural" tint on them from being made, I had 35% tint put on all of my windows (minus the windshield, where I just got a strip across the top), and it reads out 32.0% on the nose. .1% less and I would fail inspection. They really are that stingy around here.

I paid $250 to get my windows done. Some would say that's cheap, others would say it's pricey. Shop around. See what brand tint they use and such. See if they would give you a discount for getting more than one car done at their shop as well. My dad had just recently gotten a G35x when I got my TL. We got them both tinted up at the same shop and they gave us 15% off of the total price of the two
Old 09-13-2009 | 11:47 PM
9 mpg.

Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Haha it's all good man, no biggie.

As for deciding how dark you want it, darker is always sweeter, but it may not be legal in your state. Check out this link and look up your state's laws on tint:http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Here in NC, a car cannot have tint any darker than 32%. Because the windows already have a "natural" tint on them from being made, I had 35% tint put on all of my windows (minus the windshield, where I just got a strip across the top), and it reads out 32.0% on the nose. .1% less and I would fail inspection. They really are that stingy around here.

I paid $250 to get my windows done. Some would say that's cheap, others would say it's pricey. Shop around. See what brand tint they use and such. See if they would give you a discount for getting more than one car done at their shop as well. My dad had just recently gotten a G35x when I got my TL. We got them both tinted up at the same shop and they gave us 15% off of the total price of the two
Hmm, now I have to find a local place to do it. $250 is relatively inexpensive compared to the 500+ I originally expected. lol

The whole thing is that I have a month before I get my license. I want to do as much to this car as I possibly can in that 1 month time span haha. That's why I ask so many questions.
Old 09-13-2009 | 11:55 PM
Former Sponsor

honestly...first do the intake...its the best/cheapest way to get performance and sound...then just do stage 3 echaust...dont waist 500-1000 on a catback for 0-nothing in performance. If your gonna spend that get a j-pipe + pre cats..same money but hell of a performance option. then tints and body kit...really all u need the front to make a huge difference...

Quick Reply: New Guy with a new (to me) TL! :D