3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New CREE DTRL bulbs available

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Okay, here are the pictures I promised. I took some pictures of the lights from inside of my parking garage to emulate a cloudy day.

Here are the bulbs side by side. Cree on the left and VLED on the right:

Someone asked for a picture from farther away. I took it, but I don't think it shows much other than the (slight) difference in color. In person, you can definitely tell the Cree is coming from a single point while the VLED seems more dispersed.
Cree passenger, VLED driver:

Here's a closeup of each bulb in the headlight.
Cree:

VLED:

These last two are of something I didn't notice in the daytime pictures I took. The CREE seems to put more light out on the ground in front of the car. You can still see where the VLED light starts, but the Cree is definitely brighter.

Obviously, there are people who have strong opinions on these lights. I wanted my posts to remain as objective as possible. I think both lights have their purposes. The Cree does seem brighter while the VLED fills the reflector more.

Personally, I like the VLED better. I think the single point of light on the Cree looks a bit odd in the large reflector. However, given the brightness of the light reflecting on the ground in front of the car, I may need to try them out before making a final decision.

Edit: Can someone tell me how to use thumbnails that does not create the double tab (one thumbnail and one fullsize)? Can we use HTML? It didn't work right off and I didn't immediately see a button for it.

Last edited by MasterShake; 06-13-2011 at 10:13 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Drifting

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Link for the bright reverse lights mentioned by the OP?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterShake
Okay, here are the pictures I promised. I took some pictures of the lights from inside of my parking garage to emulate a cloudy day.

Here are the bulbs side by side. Cree on the left and VLED on the right:

Someone asked for a picture from farther away. I took it, but I don't think it shows much other than the (slight) difference in color. In person, you can definitely tell the Cree is coming from a single point while the VLED seems more dispersed.
Cree passenger, VLED driver:

Here's a closeup of each bulb in the headlight.
Cree:

VLED:

These last two are of something I didn't notice in the daytime pictures I took. The CREE seems to put more light out on the ground in front of the car. You can still see where the VLED light starts, but the Cree is definitely brighter.

Obviously, there are people who have strong opinions on these lights. I wanted my posts to remain as objective as possible. I think both lights have their purposes. The Cree does seem brighter while the VLED fills the reflector more.

Personally, I like the VLED better. I think the single point of light on the Cree looks a bit odd in the large reflector. However, given the brightness of the light reflecting on the ground in front of the car, I may need to try them out before making a final decision.

Edit: Can someone tell me how to use thumbnails that does not create the double tab (one thumbnail and one fullsize)? Can we use HTML? It didn't work right off and I didn't immediately see a button for it.
What resistors did you need to purchase for these to work without the DRL error/full brightness?
Old 06-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VicTL06
What resistors did you need to purchase for these to work without the DRL error/full brightness?
No resistor. I have an 04 with 07 lights. I had to use an aftermarket DRL module.

This is the one I used.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Instructor

One thing that may make the Cree haters delight: When I reinstalled the Cree bulb for the second set of pictures, the lens popped out.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
2004 SSM FTMFW !!!!

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by d-townhakuzo
Link for the bright reverse lights mentioned by the OP?

Here you go bud

http://www.jlclightings.com/ecommerc...led-chips.html
Old 06-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
OK maybe I can add to the debate... I've had the v-led reverse lights installed for a couple years now. Although they look great in the housing; in my opinion they weren't really bright enough. I have an 06, so no back up camera, and I have a hard time backing out of my driveway with the v-led reverse lights. I just installed the CREE reverse lights last night. Just playing around in my garage the CREE's do seem brighter, but it is a more focused light that doesn't fill up the housing. It may take a few days (it's gorgeous this week in NC and have been riding my bike) but I will report back as to if the CREE's make it any easier to back out of my driveway.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:09 PM
Racer

No resistor. I have an 04 with 07 lights. I had to use an aftermarket DRL module.

This is the one I used.
Thanks for this. I have a Canadian spec 2006 TL, so I have DRL module, already. Hopefully, the VLEDs are straight plug and play without the need for resistors - although I suspect that I will telephone them to confirm before ordering...that is, when they get any freakin' stock in (everything of theirs that I want is out of bloody stock!).
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I'M GOING IN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing that may make the Cree haters delight: When I reinstalled the Cree bulb for the second set of pictures, the lens popped out.

I love cree but this bulb is from a cheap chinesse based company and JLC rebadged it and said they came out with it!!!
Like one famous crackhead flava flave said
DONT BELEAVE THE HYPE!!!!

I would be more than happy to discuss this with JLC as I want someone from there company to sign into the forum and help discuss this with me an led fanatic!!!

This is not a call out or a diss I would just like to discuss there products with them and see what they stand by because as me constantley testing LEDS out I have come to find out that a true company will stand behind there products example being V-LEDS and Warren JP

So please by all means lets chime in JLC as I would like to make sure we can solve theses small issues with theses products!!!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:29 AM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Originally Posted by VicTL06
So I've been asking questions on the IS forum about this module. It appears that if you have a 2004-2006 TL, it is plug and play - so no module needed. If you have a 2007-2009 OR any 3G Canadian spec TL, then you do need the module...apparently to counteract the existing DRL module.

Good info. I do not want the DRL's then if have to add module. I do not want to chop cut rebuild my wiring right now. For once I thought I had a car I didn't have to hack up so I will not be hacking this one up.... At least til its paid off.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Balling in the...

Received 64 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceja
Good info. I do not want the DRL's then if have to add module. I do not want to chop cut rebuild my wiring right now. For once I thought I had a car I didn't have to hack up so I will not be hacking this one up.... At least til its paid off.
LOL I was thinking about this the other day. About How if I fail to pay my car Note off the repo man will be by to take my car LMAO. I would be out around 5-6 Grand with all the Mods I've added to my car But FTW im still gonna keep adding Shit to it. I don't see myself not paying the Car note so im good. If it gets sketchy ill just remove all the parts and put everything back to Stock before the repo man even came by to take it. Hopefully I plan on paying it off early anyways, Maybe in a year or two instead of the 5 years i signed for...
Old 06-15-2011, 12:15 PM
I'M GOING IN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mafyoso
LOL I was thinking about this the other day. About How if I fail to pay my car Note off the repo man will be by to take my car LMAO. I would be out around 5-6 Grand with all the Mods I've added to my car But FTW im still gonna keep adding Shit to it. I don't see myself not paying the Car note so im good. If it gets sketchy ill just remove all the parts and put everything back to Stock before the repo man even came by to take it. Hopefully I plan on paying it off early anyways, Maybe in a year or two instead of the 5 years i signed for...
same thing here I thought to myslef I will pay it off sooner too but it hasnt been like that. I still love my car tho still gets the women and turns heads
Old 06-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KiWiLiT43
OK maybe I can add to the debate... I've had the v-led reverse lights installed for a couple years now. Although they look great in the housing; in my opinion they weren't really bright enough. I have an 06, so no back up camera, and I have a hard time backing out of my driveway with the v-led reverse lights. I just installed the CREE reverse lights last night. Just playing around in my garage the CREE's do seem brighter, but it is a more focused light that doesn't fill up the housing. It may take a few days (it's gorgeous this week in NC and have been riding my bike) but I will report back as to if the CREE's make it any easier to back out of my driveway.

Ok so I had to back out of the driveway last night; and I disagree with the previous posts about the V-LED's lights being better. Like everyone has stated the CREE lights are more focused than the V-LED's, but they are so bright that in my opinion you can still see much better with the CREE bulbs. And even though the light is focused, it's not just directly behind me. My main concern is scratching my wheels on the high curbs at the end of the driveway (narrow apartment driveway) and with the V-LED bulbs I could barely see the curb and was always afraid I was going to hit it. With the CREE bulbs they lit the curb up very well and I could tell how close I was to it even with the curb being low and off to the side. Again this was just one try; I will report back again about any other differences I notice.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:28 PM
Desert Life Sucks!!

Received 673 Likes on 500 Posts
Yeah I don't mind the mods, I just don't want to hack up the wiring just yet.

I dumped alot down on this car so I could afford to make double payments and pay this off in 2 yrs or so also.

The reverse lights I definately am interested in as well as maybe better license plate lights but not sure on latter.

I wouldn't mind different DRL's but honestly would rather have none.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by sauceja
Yeah I don't mind the mods, I just don't want to hack up the wiring just yet.

I dumped alot down on this car so I could afford to make double payments and pay this off in 2 yrs or so also.

The reverse lights I definately am interested in as well as maybe better license plate lights but not sure on latter.

I wouldn't mind different DRL's but honestly would rather have none.
If you're going to do the reverse lights I'd recommend doing the license plate lights as well. The cree reverse lights do not illuminate the ground directly behind the car but the license plate lights do.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

This is the one I used.
So if you have a Canadian 07+ TL (which come with DRL module) then nothing is required, just replace the bulbs ?

Are you sure? Did you not get the DRL light on the dash ?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:20 PM
Rev High; Drive Happy

Received 398 Likes on 332 Posts
In my opinion... the use of this CREE DRL bulb is pointless.
And it'll probably be not a good idea to drive around with your DRL+Parking lights at night as it can potentially blind others.

Use these with the fogs and it's a different story.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:07 PM
**The Catfish**

Received 549 Likes on 440 Posts
Im confused. I have a 07 TL-S and bought the IJDMTOY led driving light kit and, while they work, the drl error on the dash is always on. Will the cree DRL bulbs work in my car without the error light coming on the dash or do they have the same problem?

Also, the module everyone is talking about, is this so that the leds have 12v instead of the lower voltage so that they are at full brightness (sp) ?

Any straight forward help is awesome! thanks
Old 06-29-2011, 02:46 PM
Instructor

My journey with the CREE LEDs has come to a close. I sent the bulbs back and just received my refund yesterday.

Luis at JLC went out of his way to take care of me and get me the refund. Although the bulbs weren't what I expected, the service was excellent.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Any other TL's or TSX's end up trying them? I went to their GB just to see how it came up and not looking good for them until now
Old 09-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 111 Posts
anymore feedback on the reverse CREE vs VLED?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Mons shaver

Is VLED carrying the DRL harness again? I'm still looking for something easy to install, bright, with a nice white/blue tint.

I returned the iJDMtoy DRL LED kit a few months ago.

Was easy to install and perfect color, but just not bright enough. While I don't need it to be blinding during the day, I'd like people to be able to notice it. For me, during a sunny or even cloudy day it was hard to discern if the LED DRL from iJDMToy was even on from more than a few car lengths away.
Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Racer

So I just checked out the Infiniti GB again to see how it went. Wow, all I can say is that it's a gigantic clusterfcuk. The CREE bulbs were just awful and were subject to some pretty serious manufacturer defects. In addition, pretty much everyone over there is severely pissed off @ JLC. JLC looked like they were trying to make it right, but ultimately it appears as though they have given up in frustration (no posts for awhile).

The reason I even went back to the IS Forum thread was because I saw that notwithstanding what happened with the IS GB, they are *still* selling the CREE DRLs on their website if. If you use their search function and filter down to 2004-08 Acura TLs, they are still for sale. BOLLOCKS! :shakehead
Old 09-28-2011, 05:11 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
^ Not going to be buying any more bulbs from those guys any more after my situation with them.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Racer

^Oh yeah? Wha happen?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:01 PM
All About Trance

Slow responses to emails and it took me 2 weeks just to get my replacement bulbs after I had sent it to them via priority mail. And when I had gotten the replacement bulbs, they were dimmer than the incandescent bulbs. SMDs are not that dim.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
wow how much did you end up paying total including shipping them the bulb?

i have jlc reverse lights in my TL and i've had them for about 5 months now and they are just fine. i guess their DRL are a different story..

Originally Posted by mn2trance
Slow responses to emails and it took me 2 weeks just to get my replacement bulbs after I had sent it to them via priority mail. And when I had gotten the replacement bulbs, they were dimmer than the incandescent bulbs. SMDs are not that dim.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:20 PM
All About Trance

Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
wow how much did you end up paying total including shipping them the bulb?

i have jlc reverse lights in my TL and i've had them for about 5 months now and they are just fine. i guess their DRL are a different story..
Just an extra $6 for shipping. I had originally ordered switchbacks, but they're not the V2 version. The xenon white was REALLY bright though, but not the amber. That's why I had asked for replacement for all amber.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 291 Likes on 172 Posts
Have those bad boys on my 12 TL
They sent me a discount code too
Old 09-28-2011, 07:53 PM
Safety Car

They revised there DRL LED module with error free message as well.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:59 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
installed the DRL kit from JLC last night for my 3rd gen and had no problems last night...today when I went to use it, 3 front LEDs on the driver side work sometime but not all the time (doesn't impact brightness just annoying), and now the DRL warning light is on. I took video and pics and am working with JLC again to see why...I can post pics if people are interested in how bright they are but won't fully recommened them until they work completely (yesterday they worked amazing...today is just confusing)
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Check your ground wiring again.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KB1Spec
Check your ground wiring again.
I took apart the grounds and no effect, but I will try the grounds again tomorrow when there is daylight out...I'll switch to another bolt if loosening and tightening doesn't have any effect.

Jack at JLC said he's going to send me a replacement LED, he thinks I might have hit the 3 LEDs when I was putting it into the housing
Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Safety Car

Oh ya...I busted my 1 of the LEDs when putting it in too. Jack go piss at me because asked not to forced fit it but fit it in softly
Old 09-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 762 Likes on 570 Posts
Originally Posted by KB1Spec
Oh ya...I busted my 1 of the LEDs when putting it in too. Jack go piss at me because asked not to forced fit it but fit it in softly
Can you post some pics of your DRLs?
Old 09-29-2011, 09:15 PM
Safety Car

JLC DRL kit

here are some pics i took yesterday in the sunlight from about 3-4 car lengths away. the 3 LEDs that were out yesterday are working today (no clue). the DRL light is still on but I'm going to mess with it on Saturday to try to see if it goes away again (JLC said over 50 kits have had no issues, I just have to mess with the wiring/grounding).

i'm overall satisfied with the brightness!

Old 10-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Safety Car

Here are some CREE/SMD LED combo bulb I will be testing out. Got these from JLC lightings

I only tested out the amber. They also have red for brake light or signal and also white for reverse or signal

Bulb Type 3156 and Bulb Type 7440
The 9005 type bulb will be coming out soon. So I will test those once they are in. I heard they are coming out plasma LED which is about 4-5 time brighter than SMD LED and almost 2 times brighter than CREE. As far as concern on heat, we will be testing those out as well. Will keep you posted.

CREE SMD/LED (Left) SMD LED (Right)

Last edited by KB1Spec; 10-21-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Keep us updated. Would love to see how the taillights/headlights would look. Any idea when the plasma bulbs coming out?
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 AM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
And does anyone have a DIY on replacing the DRL on the 07-08 cars?...its NOT in the garage.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
And does anyone have a DIY on replacing the DRL on the 07-08 cars?...its NOT in the garage.
i have been planning to put up a thread on how i installed my DRL kit on my 08 type s...but i'm waiting for one for fix on my kit and then i can put up pics..might not be the quality of a true DIY but i can do my best to try to help someone out

oh and raymond keep me updated on the plasma SMD i would be interested to see how bright they are for the DRL (2x brighter than CREE sounds pretty intense!)

Quick Reply: New CREE DTRL bulbs available