New to the board...you guys have me scared!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005 | 07:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Chris Longworth
And why does this car not track straight down the road - you have to constantly correct the steering to hold a line
I've only had my '05 for 450 miles, but I live in pothole filled Washington, DC and my previous car was a VW Jetta, which could not stay in alignmnt more than 5 minutes. So I'm both sensitie to this issue and have learned to live with it. I don't think there's any problem with the driveline, I think the car just has extremely precise steering and is influenced by the road grading. Even in "straight florida" the road surfaces are curved towards the shoulders in order to allow rainwater to quickly runoff. In the left lane, I can tell that my TL is drifting a bit to the left, but in the right lane, it is drifting a bit to the right, in the center it depends on the road, but its still graded one way or another.

In short, this is a feature. You should be glad that the steering is so precise.
Old 05-26-2005 | 06:35 AM
Pro

Great car...

I agree with Road Rage's posting.

I've only had one problem with my TL so far that required me going back to the dealer (loose fabric on the CMHSL cover). The dealer replaced the cover no questions asked.

I have experienced the flatline outside air temp problem, but it hasn't returned for nearly a year now and I won't have it addressed until the source is identified and a published fix is available.

Neither of these items are show stoppers and are by far and away trivial in comparison to problems I've had with a particular companies (which I'll leave nameless) products.

Keep in mind that trolls are everywhere and when a vehicle is on the top of the heap, like the TL is, in sales, competitors will be gunning for them in any way shape or form they can. Including trash posting on boards like this.
Old 05-26-2005 | 08:26 AM
Advanced

Great car!

My only complaint about our 05 is that i don't get to drive it as much as my wife does.
Old 05-26-2005 | 11:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by PatC79
Thanks for the encouragement guys! I knew every car has it's share of problems...but these were the first I had heard of from the TL...so it worried me at first. But you guys have put my mind at ease a bit.

Thanks!

-Pat

Pat, I've driven the TL, G35X and Alti SE-R and would still recommend the TL; although I lean slightly more towards the G35X over the TL...but only by the slightest of margins. (I just love the VQ35DE's power delivery.)

The only complaint that I read here about the new TL that would concern me was the drooping headliner thing. But, that seemed to have died out a long time ago though.

My recommendation is that you try the G35X as well but I have to say that the TL has the best interior of any car <$50k IMHO (although I like the Lexus ES interior almost as much). To me, the TL's interior is a more attractive feature than it's exterior.
Old 05-26-2005 | 12:20 PM
Cruisin'

No need to fear!

My 05 TL has posted 6500 miles and has been very well behaved. The only problem that I've had was a creaky piece trim around the gear shifter which was promptly dispatched at my A1 service.

Of all of the cars I've owned, this one is on track to be the best behaved. I traded in 02 Lincoln LS V8 for my TL... In 48k, I managed to have about every piece of interior trip replace or reattached. Heck, even the parking brake handle broke off!

Head on down to your friendly Acura dealer... There's nothing to fear with the splendid TL!
Old 05-26-2005 | 01:14 PM
Burning Brakes

I was all for buying an 05 TL...but after reading some of the posts and horror stories on here I am starting to think I should look elsewhere.

I realize every car will have it's little flaws that can be fixed...but the 2 that have me especially woried are the rattles and the paint.

Right now I drive a Mustang. The reason I wanted a TL in the first place was cuz I thought I would be getting away from cheap interior and rattles.

Even bigger is the paint issue I have been reading about. My Mustang is a '96 with 90K miles and I have about 5 very small chips on my hood and that's it (original paint). Lots of reports about people with only 1K miles and their paint is just chipping away. The rattles I'm sure can be fixed under warranty...but not paint chips!

So how real are these problems...HONESTLY!

Thanks in advance

-Pat
Hi Pat,
There are alot of cry-babies on this forum. ::knock on wood:: since 9/2004, my TL hasn't had any problems except a few driving vibrations at 80mph for the first few mins if I parked it for a few days. Not all TLs are made badly, only a few %. Plus, alot of owners here are obsessive-compulsive so you will be ok
Old 05-26-2005 | 01:36 PM
Racer

I was all for buying an 05 TL...but after reading some of the posts and horror stories on here I am starting to think I should look elsewhere.

I realize every car will have it's little flaws that can be fixed...but the 2 that have me especially woried are the rattles and the paint.

Right now I drive a Mustang. The reason I wanted a TL in the first place was cuz I thought I would be getting away from cheap interior and rattles.

Even bigger is the paint issue I have been reading about. My Mustang is a '96 with 90K miles and I have about 5 very small chips on my hood and that's it (original paint). Lots of reports about people with only 1K miles and their paint is just chipping away. The rattles I'm sure can be fixed under warranty...but not paint chips!

So how real are these problems...HONESTLY!

Thanks in advance

-Pat
Pat, you gotta keep things in perspective. As other members have said, more people write about negatives than the positives and that pretty much goes for any product. People are more apt to complain than praise. If you go to any other forum for any other car, I'm sure you're going to find your share of negatives over positives. I think it's a great car and a great value and I personally have no regrets... Incidentally, I typically don't like to buy the first year of a new car or new style since I like to give them a year to work out the initial kinks and that's why I waited to buy an '05...

-LOD
Old 05-26-2005 | 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have to disagree with people here wanting to complain more than praise. There have been complainers here that are very forgiving about the car and say they love it and live with it. You can go to ther boards and find out that they are not complaining nearly as much. Yes the G etc there might not be as many of them out there but the TL has a lot more complaints. The G sedan comes with the same crappy tires and there aren't any complaints about driveline vibrations etc. Initial quality has come down on this model and not 3g to 3g ... 2g to 3g.

So in keeping with perspective... I have seen more complaints over the years here... more cars? or more problems? I would say more problems... the interior was rated lower in quality for the 3G must be all the rattles...
Old 05-26-2005 | 04:27 PM
Systems Overlord

Pat
There are still a fair amount of complainers here. Just go back and look at some of the posts that people who complain have posted in the past. You'll see a pattern here. These people either own a G35 and/or are so down on Acuras that they take every chance they can to put the car down.
Old 05-26-2005 | 05:18 PM
Safety Car

i'll take all the rattles in the world and paint that peels like an oranges at the Tropicana factory instead of the three tranny failures i had w/ my '02 TL-S ..

$0.02