Sponsored by:

Need to vent and need advice!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 06:06 PM
@(UR@ +!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need to vent and need advice!!

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I've been on this site...sold my '99 NBP TL a couple of years ago but I've just recently picked up a '05 WDP with Nav and Aspec kit. I want to apologize first for the long thread.

I'll try to keep this as short as possible. I just purchased my '05 5 weeks ago from Acura North Toronto and picked it up 4 weeks ago. There was a paint chip on the front bumper and a stone chip on the windshield so I worked it into the deal that they would repaint the bumper and replace the windshield.

When I go to pick up the car, the windshield has been replaced but the front bumper hasn't been done yet because of scheduling problems with their paint shop . So they were going to call me back the following week to book a time to bring the car in. On the way home I notice that there's a slight wind noise coming from the top of the windshield (right behind the rearview mirror) so I guess the windshield was not sealed properly AND my rearview mirror was not installed properly as it kept on shaking. So I obviously called up the dealer the next morning letting him know of the problems. My salesman tells me "NO PROBLEM, WE'LL GET THAT FIXED AT THE SAME TIME WE REPAINT YOUR BUMPER".

Ok so a week passes and no call so the following Monday I call and leave him a message....that week passes and no call. WTF !!!!! So again I call on the following Monday which was actually just this past Monday and I finally get in touch with him. He gives me a load of $hit that there's scheduling problems and what not and it wasn't because he forgot about me . So he say's he'll call me back this week to book a meeting for sure .

Now 2 days pass and it's Wednesday, my wife and I go out for dinner and on the way home notice that gas was pretty cheap so I decided to fill up and at the same time give the TL a little run through the touchless car wash. WELL....remember that windshield that wasn't sealed properly? Next thing I know the water started pouring into the car and my Navi got fried, along with my radio, and pretty much all the electronics.

NOW I'M F@KING PISSED :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire !!!! I drove the car back to the dealership that night and you can imagine the things I was saying to them . Anyways they gave me a little CSX as a loaner because they didn't have anything bigger.

Anyhow...I just basically wanted to vent and to see what you guys think I should ask them for for compensation for all this $hit that they've put me through and the bull$hit aftersale service they've given me. I've already told the salesman that he's gonna need to give me floor mats because for some reason my car didn't come with them but I didn't notice the night I picked the car up (I was too excited).

Thanks for listening and for any feedback..
Old 11-10-2006, 06:17 PM
Racer

They should repair everything at no cost at the very least. They should also include something like free oil changes for 1 year. I would generally say they should replace the vehicle, but I dont know how likely that is with a used vehicle.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
u should tell them that it rained, then that shouldn't make it seem that you put the water on the car knowingly. BTW, if they replace the navi/dash that got fried, the car will never be the same.
Old 11-10-2006, 06:37 PM
Intermediate

Wow thats pretty bad service from them. I would go crazy if that happened to me. you did the right thing
Old 11-10-2006, 11:14 PM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by csmeance
u should tell them that it rained, then that shouldn't make it seem that you put the water on the car knowingly. BTW, if they replace the navi/dash that got fried, the car will never be the same.
You're getting me worried...what do you mean it'll never be the same? I'm hoping you meant it as a figure of speach?!?!?!?! Sorry but it's just that I'm very paranoid right now about them f@cking more stuff up.
Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 PM
Pro

well it won't be your TL, it'll probably stuffed with refurbished parts.. navi's are always a problem.. even with BMW's, my friends brand new 06 M3 needed the navi serviced 8 times =0 in 6 months... most of the mileage is driving to the dealership in nj... yeah... but that sucks dude.. you're definitely entitled to compensation, roadside service, 1 year old change, free tune-ups, and a bl0w j0b? haha that guy was a major D!ck though..

everyone's seem to have problems with acura dealers.. i've read many threads on it.. always check the service of you dealer before you buy the car.. paragon and the DCH acura dealerships are apparently the shittiest out of the NY/NJ area.. someone even put up a thread on how he got THROWN OUT of the dealership.. not even for misconduct.. but yeah.. sorry for your misfortune.. hope everything turns out for the best =]
Old 11-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Opium den in

You told them you took it to a car wash?
Old 11-11-2006, 12:24 AM
Racer

Who cares if he took it to a car wash? It's normalcy of ownership and they clearly did not install a part properly. Whether they are liable under negligence law or another subset, it is their liability. (Short of him driving into the lake/ocean and having the car leak!)
Old 11-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
This is a prime example of pure economics. Stores are in business to make money. And car stores (yes, that's really what they're called) are no different. Now making this money can be viewed as both active and passive.

By actively making money, we're talking about the sale of the product up front. You go into a dealership, select your vehicle, work with the salesman for the best price, and finalize the purchase. Easy, everyone's happy, fair trade of your money for their car.

By passively making money, I'm referring to a car store taking those extra steps which may seem somewhat costly in the beginning, but will pay them off in spades down the road. Such as the purchase of the subject '05 TL in this thread. Had the dealer done this work correctly before delivery, copyryte would not have been faced with this terrible situation. And neither would the dealer. He (the dealer) would be making money passively because he would not have to go back and repair things that are going to cost him many hundreds of dollars. So he would be both saving money (hence the passive making of it) AND garnishing good customer relations.

You have to wonder, don't you?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:35 AM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by Final
You told them you took it to a car wash?
Yep I did tell them I took it through the car wash...like Superstar said it is completely their fault with their negligence in installing the windshield.

Just FYI....when I brought the car in just this past Wednesday the salesman I bought the car from said that he would call me the following day to give me an ETA as to when I can expect the car back.......well it's Saturday now 3 days later and I still haven't heard from that J@CK@SS yet.

I'll keep you guys posted on the progress....

BTW thanks for all the feedback.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:48 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i got mine at north toronto too who's the sales that sold u the car?? what's his name?
Old 11-11-2006, 02:42 PM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by vc123
i got mine at north toronto too who's the sales that sold u the car?? what's his name?
It was Farid. To be honest with you he's a really nice guy and he really pushed to get me the price that I wanted for the car but let me tell you......his aftersales service is $hit!!!!!! That and he has a real huge problem with following up on calls...even before I bought the car I had called him and left him messages to call me back 'cause I was interested in a car..well...he never called me back..I had to go into the dealership and ask for help. It so happens that the receptionist referred me to him when I was there.....when we met face to face he's like "Oh..you were the one that called this afternoon".
Old 11-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
the guy that sold me the car is wallance u should've looked for him he's the second hand car manager... short skinny asian guy. i got two cars from him this year a 06 tl and a 06 csx the csx had a few paint chipped on got it fixed within a week i told him i t hink they did a bad job on rust proof he took my car and told those guys to do it again

hmm most of the guys r really nice to u b4 u get the car but after that .... they won;t be nice to u till u get ur next car there

anyways if i were u i would go there on a saturday and tell him to fix ur car since he;s a dick u shouldn't be nice to him lol go to the dealer and look for him on the busy est day
Old 11-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
at this thread.

What kind of service is this? I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:17 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Sucks to hear about that.

Your post has to be one of the best uses of the widest variety of smilies I've seen.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:04 PM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by vc123
anyways if i were u i would go there on a saturday and tell him to fix ur car since he;s a dick u shouldn't be nice to him lol go to the dealer and look for him on the busy est day
I'm gonna wait until this coming Wednesday and if I still haven't gotten a call from him...ALL HELL WILL BREAK LOOSE!!!!
Old 11-11-2006, 09:06 PM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by subinf
Sucks to hear about that.

Your post has to be one of the best uses of the widest variety of smilies I've seen.
:gheylaugh:
Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro

i say you find his car and pull some nice childish pranks...

heres my favorite one my cousin taught me... take a plastic bag... find a pile of fresh dog poop.. still moist? haha then you take a spoon and get the inside of the handle and smooth it out.. he's in for a surprise! =]
Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 PM
@(UR@ +!

Update

So here she goes....

I couldn't wait another day to go and blast the dealer so I decided to go in tonight and let them have it.

I saw my salesman and didn't even bother with him. I wanted to speak to the General Manager but he wasn't in so I was stuck with the sales manager to whom I had to explain the whole story again.

I'm basically telling him how pissed and dissapointed I am in their service...or lack there of. I'm very up front with him saying that I want compensation for all this crap that I've been through OR I want to return the car and get my money back.

Now with respect to the compensation I want an extended warranty for all the electronics of the car + floor mats that I never got with the car + cash back. The reason that I want cash back, as I was explaining to the manager, is that this car no longer has the same value as when I purchased it. The car has been water damaged in the interior and all the electronics have had to be replaced etc. On top of that, when I would resell the car in a couple of years how many people do you think would not even want to touch the car because of the history?!

Anyways he goes on about how water damage is a very general term and that it could be minor or major....well how about frying my navi, radio, hf link, etc? Is that major enough for you. I ask him...if you didn't work for a dealership and you were interested in buying this car from me...would you still buy it after I tell you what's happened to it? He promptly answers.......no. I say thank you..you've answered my question.

So now he's supposed to call me back tomorrow before noon to see what they will offer me.

My question to you all is this...are my demands unreasonable?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FOR ALL THOSE IN THE GTA, DO NOT PURCHASE ANY CARS FROM ACURA NORTH TORONTO...THEIR SERVICE STINKS TO HELL!!!!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by copyryte
So here she goes....

I couldn't wait another day to go and blast the dealer so I decided to go in tonight and let them have it.

I saw my salesman and didn't even bother with him. I wanted to speak to the General Manager but he wasn't in so I was stuck with the sales manager to whom I had to explain the whole story again.

I'm basically telling him how pissed and dissapointed I am in their service...or lack there of. I'm very up front with him saying that I want compensation for all this crap that I've been through OR I want to return the car and get my money back.

Now with respect to the compensation I want an extended warranty for all the electronics of the car + floor mats that I never got with the car + cash back. The reason that I want cash back, as I was explaining to the manager, is that this car no longer has the same value as when I purchased it. The car has been water damaged in the interior and all the electronics have had to be replaced etc. On top of that, when I would resell the car in a couple of years how many people do you think would not even want to touch the car because of the history?!

Anyways he goes on about how water damage is a very general term and that it could be minor or major....well how about frying my navi, radio, hf link, etc? Is that major enough for you. I ask him...if you didn't work for a dealership and you were interested in buying this car from me...would you still buy it after I tell you what's happened to it? He promptly answers.......no. I say thank you..you've answered my question.

So now he's supposed to call me back tomorrow before noon to see what they will offer me.

My question to you all is this...are my demands unreasonable?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

FOR ALL THOSE IN THE GTA, DO NOT PURCHASE ANY CARS FROM ACURA NORTH TORONTO...THEIR SERVICE STINKS TO HELL!!!!!!

Hell no there not unreasonable. Now I dont think anyone would know if acura doesnt report it to carfax as flood but still thats a big deal and I would want something done about it and i think your going about it in a very professional way and you seem to be doing a very good job of it good luck with everything and keep us posted.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:24 AM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
Hell no there not unreasonable. Now I dont think anyone would know if acura doesnt report it to carfax as flood but still thats a big deal and I would want something done about it and i think your going about it in a very professional way and you seem to be doing a very good job of it good luck with everything and keep us posted.
Thanks Trackruner228....

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he will be calling me with good news. I really don't want to have to go to the trouble of getting my lawyers involved if I don't have to.....but if push comes to shove then let the games begin!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

wow dude that would piss me off.
You buy a car from them you would think they would treat you better than that.
About the car wash, how do you know the windshield is going to leak, they never told you not to wash your car. They should fully compensate you, for the damage, wasted time, and your going to have a hard time to sell that TL if its history is known. I would go right to the manager of that dealership, and talk to him only about the $hitty service you have received, and that you want him to fix it, and fix it now.
Don't give up, your in the right here.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
@(UR@ +!

Update Part 2

Ok so the sales manager that I spoke with yesterday called me back when he said that he would.

He's mentioned that my car is almost fixed, that they're just waiting for a "Solinoid?" for the shifter that I guess got damaged by the water as well and it's because of this piece that the Check Engine light is lit up.

With regards to the compensation though...I'm still getting the run around. He says that it's up to the used car sales manager Mohammed Ali (yes that's his real name) to decide what to do and of course it's Mohammed's day off today. Again I reiterate that the compensation's got to be significant for all the trouble that I've gone through and all the trouble that I will go through when I try to resell the car in the future.

BTW, I just found out that the "Sales Manager" that I spoke to yesterday and today is actually only the "ASSISTANT SALES MANAGER". The actual sales manager was at the dealer yesterday but i guess he didn't want to deal with my situation so he pawned it off on his assistant!!!!! What was really funny was that when I walked into the dealer yesterday, everyone and I mean EVERYONE became silent. I guess they all knew that I'm the guy with the WDP with the water damage........"look out he's here and he's goin head hunting!!!!"

I'll keep you guys posted with the outcome tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the support guys!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typical. I hate car dealerships (or stealerships as I like to call them) so much. When you're shopping for a car they're all nice and friendly and they'll promise you the moon to make a sale. Then once you sign on the dotted line, they've made their money and at that instant they no longer give a $hit about you or your problems. The only thing they're worried about is selling the next car to the next sucker that walks in the door.

If there was some way to avoid stealerships all together when buying a new car I would. Unfortunately that's kind of hard if you want to buy new
Old 11-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Opium den in

Well theres pretty much two solutions ... buy a Rolls Royce which are hand crafter or ride a bicycle ... Dealerships do give customers a hard time and we give them one back. A lot of people complain about dealership and car problems and Im not saying theres anything wrong with that but when these companies produce massive amounts of these cars every year with robots theres going to be a lot of errors. Its ultimately corporate's fault in my opinion and the dealership has to deal with it, and they as normal humans get fed up as well with us. For those of you that deal with customers in your work field you should be able to sympathize with what Im saying right now. But there is all the right to be mad and these types of things need to be avoided and even if dealerships are busy they shouldnt sell cars untill they have been repaired, but the chances of that happening are slightly slim...
Old 11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Snax

Copyryte,
That is a USD $150.00+ bottle of Johnnie Walker's ultimate blend Blue label.
Every bottle is serial numbered and sold in a silk-lined box, accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. Although no age is declared, it is believed many of the whiskies blended are aged for 50 to 60 years. Stop worrying so much and have shot of the Blue Label and your problems will melt away. Trust me; things will look much clearer and your outlook will change. Enjoy and drink responsibly.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:55 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
markham acura i beleive is the largest Acura dealer in ontario (if not largest in canada) their service is pretty gd from my experience w/ them. id suggest u go to Markham acura (McCowan and Hwy7) but then ur in sauga... so.. prob not worth it for u to drive 30-45 mins.

i hope it all goes well for u though.

note: car salesmen (sales ppl, whatever) ALWAYS try to "lower the price" for u.. but in reality.. they arent (not usually anyways)... they wanna be ur "friend". and sell u the car ur FIRST time walking in, becuae they know that the statistics say that when the customer leaves after his first visit.... there's something like an 70-90% chance that customer will nvr walk in to buy that car again from THAT dealer. so if they seem like they're trying to lower the price.. then milk em for all their worth.. cuase if u dont milk them.. they'll milk u!.. ahahah
Old 11-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Undercover Slacker

that sucks... good luck with everything.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:16 PM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by snax
Copyryte,
That is a USD $150.00+ bottle of Johnnie Walker's ultimate blend Blue label.
Every bottle is serial numbered and sold in a silk-lined box, accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. Although no age is declared, it is believed many of the whiskies blended are aged for 50 to 60 years. Stop worrying so much and have shot of the Blue Label and your problems will melt away. Trust me; things will look much clearer and your outlook will change. Enjoy and drink responsibly.
Hehehehe...too funny. I still haven't opened the bottle yet.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:11 PM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by Teddybear
markham acura i beleive is the largest Acura dealer in ontario (if not largest in canada) their service is pretty gd from my experience w/ them. id suggest u go to Markham acura (McCowan and Hwy7) but then ur in sauga... so.. prob not worth it for u to drive 30-45 mins.

i hope it all goes well for u though.

note: car salesmen (sales ppl, whatever) ALWAYS try to "lower the price" for u.. but in reality.. they arent (not usually anyways)... they wanna be ur "friend". and sell u the car ur FIRST time walking in, becuae they know that the statistics say that when the customer leaves after his first visit.... there's something like an 70-90% chance that customer will nvr walk in to buy that car again from THAT dealer. so if they seem like they're trying to lower the price.. then milk em for all their worth.. cuase if u dont milk them.. they'll milk u!.. ahahah
If I get my money back I will definately be looking for anothe Acura dealership to give my money to....McCowan and Hwy7 isn't that far 'cause I can take the 407 straight there. Thanks for the referral.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
@(UR@ +!

A quick question for you guys.....

How likely do you think it will be that I get a cash compensation? (over and above the extended warranty and mats)

How likely do you think it will be that they will take back the car and refund my money?

Thanks
Old 11-15-2006, 10:09 PM
Racer

I would say, this is how it is going to go:

No money back...
No buy back of car...
Here are some floormats...
We will warranty the electronics for 18 months or the end of the factory warranty... whichever is later...

That is what I think will probably happen...
Old 11-16-2006, 07:28 AM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by davenlei
I would say, this is how it is going to go:

No money back...
No buy back of car...
Here are some floormats...
We will warranty the electronics for 18 months or the end of the factory warranty... whichever is later...

That is what I think will probably happen...
Yikes....that really sucks.

I was actually reading up on a couple of the consumer protection articles and it's gonna be tough to get cash compensation for "assumed" devaluation of the car...meaning that they won't give me compensation for the car possibly losing value WHEN I decide to sell it in the future because they can't quantify that now.

However if I "actually" was affected in a monetary way (loss of business etc) that can be quantifiable then I would have a case.

This is not gonna be fun!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Racer

I guess I don't understand why you should get cash compensation. They gave you a loaner, the damage won't show up in Carfax, and the car will be fixed with new parts. Where's the damage to you? I could see an extended warranty for the electronics involved to help assure you that the car is right, but I can't see anything more.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by CobraGuy
I guess I don't understand why you should get cash compensation. They gave you a loaner, the damage won't show up in Carfax, and the car will be fixed with new parts. Where's the damage to you? I could see an extended warranty for the electronics involved to help assure you that the car is right, but I can't see anything more.
The question is whether the stealership reports the water damage either because they are required to by law or because they just feel like it. If they report the water damage then the resale value of the car decreases significantly because no one will want to buy the car if it's been flooded. Even if they don't report the damage, when he goes to sell the car and gets asked if there has been any damage to the vehicle, he's going to have to either tell them about the damage in which case they will run away screaming, or he will have to lie to them.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:13 PM
@(UR@ +!

Originally Posted by Desert_TL
The question is whether the stealership reports the water damage either because they are required to by law or because they just feel like it. If they report the water damage then the resale value of the car decreases significantly because no one will want to buy the car if it's been flooded. Even if they don't report the damage, when he goes to sell the car and gets asked if there has been any damage to the vehicle, he's going to have to either tell them about the damage in which case they will run away screaming, or he will have to lie to them.
Exactly.....however this is also the reason why I unfortunately don't think that i'll get any money from them because how do you quantify how much the car has devalued? That will actually change from person to person right?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:33 PM
@(UR@ +!

Update 2

Ok so I speak with the used car manager this morning and had to explain the whole story again and again mention how extremely dissapointed I am with their service (not him in particular but my salesman). He agrees that it was completely the fault of my salesman for not calling me back and having all this happen.

With regards to compensation he offers me the mats that I had asked for and an extended warranty to 6years or 120,000kms which ever comes first. So I tell him that I'll go over that with my wife and I'll call him back. So I email my wife to let her know...she then goes onto the Acura.ca website and guess what???? Acura Certified Pre-Owned vehicles already come with a 6 year/120,000kms warranty...so is this guy trying to screw me?

I call him back tell him what my wife found out and then he tells me that my car is not an Acura Certified Pre-Owned vehicle. I tell him that my salesman said that it was and my wife is my witness...he even showed us the work sheet that the mechanics filled out while they did their 150 point inspection for certification. Bottom line my salesman lied to me when he said it was Certified when it really wasn't. Anyhow...that 6 year warranty thing is only for the power train and all major parts WHICH the navigation and radio/CD are not included as part of that.....so again this extended warranty thing will not do me any good.

At this time I'm pretty fed up and he knows it too and I give him an ultimatum..he either gives me another TL identical to the one I have OR he takes the car back and refund all my money.

So he's supposed to call me back tomorrow after talking with this GM to let me know what the decision is or atleast to let me know when I can expect a decision.

:rippedoff :rippedoff :rippedoff
Old 11-16-2006, 08:35 PM
@(UR@ +!

I HATE ACURA OF NORTH TORONTO!!!!!!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:00 PM
Racer

Stay Strong.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 AM
Advanced

sorry to hear your story, i was gonna to replace my windshield too in Toronto, i will definately not going to north toronto acura for sure.......

just becarefull of acura in markham, they scarached my car before and i also had a bad luck dealing with the service manager there....

Quick Reply: Need to vent and need advice!!