Sponsored by:

Need some ammunition!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some ammunition!!!

Hey wassup all...
I need some ammunition from all you car experts out there...

My cousin just bought an '06 bmw 325xi and we are constantly battling back and forth about whose car is better...yadda yadda

I'm not much of a car expert, so theres only so much I can say, I could use some help from you guys. I just want to shut him up once and for all!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:26 PM
6speed NBP

Well first of all your car can beat him in any kinda acceleration test.

Your interior is alot better looking (but thats up to a person's taste)

if he didnt the the HID package then YOU have bright and cool azz headlights! hahha

No stuipd iDrive if he has the navi and you have voice activated commands and Handsfree.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Instructor

Wait till his warranty is up and he has to pay for all check ups and repairs.. we'll see whos talking then.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Cruisin'

I know they get free oil changes - but he said that he gets free synthetic oil changes...
The website doesnt specify....
Anyone know if thats true?
Old 06-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by nyTLer
I know they get free oil changes - but he said that he gets free synthetic oil changes...
This is true - I believe all BMW's use the Mobil 1 synthetic, and oil changes are spread further apart, 13k-15k according to the MID.

I find the BMW dealerships are more professional and better to work with also.

But for ammo - just compare OTD prices, and options. The TL is the best bang for the buck!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hes got the name and the AWD. The 325Xi is a slow car for a "sports car" in that price range IMO. handling is debatable, though he does have a BMW, though I heard a magazine had reported an A-spec TL as being able to beat a 530i with the sport package. As far as features, last I checked leather wasn't even standard on the 3, so depending on what he got the car is most likely not as well equipped as yours. Honda/Acura also has the best navi systems, and though their is debate over the ELS, the best, now maybe one of the best, surround systems. Also the new 3 has an awful interior.

For ammo, just say he payed for the name, and that your car is much faster, better equipped, and more reliable.

Mike
Old 06-09-2006, 01:23 PM
tTLiang

free really? for the price difference (with better stuff in TL mind you), how about Acura actually pays you mad cash to do oil changes....lol.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:28 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ttliang
free really? for the price difference (with better stuff in TL mind you), how about Acura actually pays you mad cash to do oil changes....lol.
I got free oil changes "at the specified MID interval" and free inspections with my TL as well. Synth is spec'd in BMW's with 2-3 times the time change interval, so the cost value is moot. 2-3 Dino changes = 1 Synth.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
There are several threads on this. Search TL vs 325/3 series.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I was trying to post this earlier, but I was called to go to lunch...

starting off. Monetarily, the TL is a much better value. I don't know if you have Navi or not but if you do the MSRP of a TL-Navi is a little over $35,000. To get the same features that your TL has in a 325xi, you'd have to spend over $40,000. BMW even charges more if you want metallic paint.

The only advantage I see the BMW has over the TL is that they are RWD (his is an AWD). Also the BMW has better weight distribution. People can debate the FWD vs RWD all day, though so that comes down to personal preferences.

If he is talking "better" in terms of performance. ummm no. The new RWD 325 is sloooow. and the AWD version is even slower. 215HP (BMW) vs 270(258) (Acura) no comparison. 185 Torque (BMW) vs 238 (Acura). nope.

Even BMW's own website lists the 325xi's 0 - 60 as 7.1 seconds (manual) 7.7 (auto). Not even close to the TL’s 0 – 60 times.

And not that you'd ever go that fast in the TL, even the TL's top speed is higher.

Sure the 325xi can handle better, but that is about it. I've always thought BMW's were way over-priced for what you get. In my opinion the TL is a better car spec wise and also it just looks better.

The free maintenance for 50,000 on the BMW is good, but does it warrant paying for an overpriced car? No. Back to the RWD vs FWD, I personally prefer a RWD, but you see I STILL got a TL over the 325 (and 330), because there were just so many other things the TL had over the 3-series in general.

The 325xi has very little on the TL. The new 330 is better competition, but then again you'd pay 10 - 15 thousand more to get one comparably equipped as a TL-Navi. Like someone else has said he paid mostly for the name.

Plus I've only had one BMW sales person that was down to earth, most of their sales staff were very snooty, acting like their cars are god's gift to the world. And like its a privilege to even test drive one. Don't get me wrong, I've always liked the M3 and the 6-series, but in general their cars are too over priced. I remember going to this even when BMW just unvieled the new 3 series and they had other BMW's there as well. They had a 6-series coupe there and I saw some rich middle aged people look at the price and one guy said "that is way too much to pay for that".

Oh yeah my final point...i-drive really does suck!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:57 PM
aw1
Pro

smoke his butt on the track. he will never talk down to you ever again!!!
Old 06-09-2006, 03:32 PM
WDP Is Faster

Just race him and that'll give u enough ammo...oh yea and tell him his interior is ugly.

let me just leave with this quote...

"Actions speak louder than words."
Old 06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Mofo

BMW's interior looks basically the same as the 1990 BMW's
Old 06-09-2006, 03:55 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Ya....tell him to put quit tossen the smack down and get some rubber to the road where it counts. You will beat him and he will feel stupid then.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:31 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 06-09-2006, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Hey wassup all...

My cousin just bought an '06 bmw 325xi and we are constantly battling back and forth about whose car is better...yadda yadda

I'm not much of a car expert, so theres only so much I can say, I could use some help from you guys. I just want to shut him up once and for all!

Just show him this:

FORBE'S TOP 10 RESALE VALUES
Top 10 High Resale Value Vehicles
Mini Cooper
Honda Accord
Toyota Avalon
Porsche 911 Carrera
Acura TL
Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class
Honda Odyssey
Land Rover Range Rover Sport
Toyota Sequoia
Toyota Tundra
Old 06-09-2006, 09:48 PM
2nd Gear

Hey wassup all...

As a new 2006 325xi owner I thought I would jump into this thread. I recently bought the 325xi after owning a 2000 TL that I put 130,000 miles on and never had any issues with. The only reason I jumped to BMW is because I didn't really like the styling of the new TL when it came out in '04 and I wanted a change. I must say that after owning the 325xi for three months now, my next vehicle will definitely be another TL regardless of how it looks. There really isn't any comparison, the TL is a much better car value than the 325xi.

I really did my research on this car purchase and I think I made a good choice but I have to admit that I'm surprised at how cheap the BMW can seem sometimes. I'm thankful I can afford a $40,000 car but it's just not built as well as they are portrayed, and I simply don't understand the "cult" that is BMW owners.

Overall the car is more sluggish, isn't as luxurious, and probably not laid out as well. I think it does handle a lot better than the TL and I like the styling better than the TL. BMW does offer better technology than Acura but Acura offers tons more from a standard feature standpoint.

As an owner of both vehicles I hope this offered some insight into this comparison thread........
Old 06-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speed and performance isn't an indication of quality, so racing him won't prove anything. I'd just give him the facts from repair issues...END OF STORY!!! BMW's are nothing but problems...nice cars, but expensive to own and repair. Most people buy them for status.
Old 06-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Dr. Feelgood

Originally Posted by illini94
BMW does offer better technology than Acura
I'd have to disagree with this. My fiance has a 330i with navi and I can say without a doubt that the navi (i-drive) and bluetooth even close to the TL's. The voice command system in the BMW sucks! You'd have to literally say it in the exact sequence of commands or it will not work. Very tempermental!
I agree that the handling is better than the TL.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JetJock
Speed and performance isn't an indication of quality, so racing him won't prove anything.

If speed were the sole determination as to which car was better then there would be some shitty cars ranked ahead of the TL.
Old 06-10-2006, 03:55 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 05TLTony
I'd have to disagree with this. My fiance has a 330i with navi and I can say without a doubt that the navi (i-drive) and bluetooth even close to the TL's. The voice command system in the BMW sucks! You'd have to literally say it in the exact sequence of commands or it will not work. Very tempermental!
I agree that the handling is better than the TL.

I was talking about mechanical technology such as the handling as you mentioned. As for the Navi in the TL, it's second to none. I agree with you. i-drive doesn't even rate.