Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice on brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need some advice on brakes

Well, my '05 TL has a horrible vibration when braking and i've been living with it up until now. The pads are fine, but the crossed drilled rotors (installed by previous owner) are warped beyond belief and cannot be cut. The dealer wants $900+ to replace rotors and pads, front and rear. Even though the pads are still good, they will need to be replaced due to them conforming to the warped rotors.

What are my options on buying the parts and doing this myself? I've done plenty of brake jobs in the past, but never on an Acura. Any special tools i need? I really just don't have time to do this since we have a two week old baby at home now and work is been crazy, but i don't want to pay almost $1k just to have brakes and rotors replaced.

Can i get the parts a lot cheaper online? If so, where?

The part numbers the dealer gave me are as follows:

Front Rotors: 45251-TA6-A00
Front Pads: 45022-SEP-A01

Rear Rotors: 42510-SEP-A00
Rear Pads: 43022-SEP-A00
Old 04-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
You can check on brake rotors and pads from our vendors (sponsors):

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/crazy-discounts-brakes-suspension-intakes-free-shipping-719979/

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/rotora-slotted-drilled-slotted-rotors-special-cl-tl-tsx-324531/

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/racingbrake-front-rear-up-rotors-packages-deals-inside-344787/

I've also seen members getting the CMAX Ceramic brake pads from Autozone with a lifetime warranty.

I used this brand on my old TSX and were pretty good:

http://www.r1concepts.com/premiumrotors.php
Old 04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Not a hard job, the only things that seem to trip people up are the screws on the front rotors (use a impact screwdriver) and the built in drum rear parking brake (loosen it first by the star wheel).
That said, even if you buy all 4 corners yourself it will still run around 5-600).

You sure front and back are warped? Simple check - drive and apply the parking brake slowly. If you still feel the warp then the back is bad, if not then its most likely the front only. You may want to pull the wheels and throw a dial gauge on there to make sure...
Old 04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts
Pulling the parking brake on our TL applies the drum brake on the inside if the rear rotor's "hat". I guess if it is extremely warped you could tell. But that won't apply the normal brake to the disc surface.

I agree with BillMFD3. Most likely, it's the fronts that are warped. Or at least, they are the ones that would provide more relief from the vibration. Also, you might try an independent brake shop and see if they can turn the aftermarket rotors. Replacement is really a simple job. The first wheel might take 20-30 min, and the rest are just cake. And yes, one of those cheap impact drivers (the one you smack with a hammer and it turns the tip as it compresses) are a great help. I think I ended up drilling one or two of my screws to get them out. They're not really needed once the wheel is installed.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:00 PM
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
Yea, my bad on the hand brake tip, I will mixing up my other ride (94 rx7) which has the parking brake act on the disc surface directly.
If you do get new discs dont buy the cheap crap.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

thanks guys, you've been really helpful
Old 04-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
WHO diagnosed the rotors as beyond resurfacing?- while drilled or slotted rotors are more difficult than flats- it can be done

You shouldnt need to release tension on the park brakes- they should just barely touch when Off- see DIY for correct setting after install of new rotors
If they were impoperly adjusted too tight and caused a ridge inside- then loosen with the star wheel

Most of the time rotors are stuck on, its just a rust corrosion bond- seems like stronger than superglues- use penetrating lube spray liberally- then the impact driver,
and if the screws are stuck- turn the driver to `right`- tighten, and give it a few whacks, then set it for left and use a real hammer-not a rubber mallet, that often breaks the bond by trying to go tighter then loosen

Ask a parts store with a machine shop like NAPA for an opinion on the rotors- if they were cheapie brand just toss them
If you drive easy-wife drives the car with kids- there are many lower cost options using normal flat/blank face rotors and good quality pads

If its a type S- brembo brake fronts... the prices jump
Old 05-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Cruisin'

i just wanted to update this thread, in case anyone cares.

I ended up just taking it to a local independant shop to have the brakes done. The acura dealer would not touch the aftermarket rotors and i personally didn't like them anyways. I went with Raybestos rotors and pads which all have a lifetime warrany and got all 4 rotors and pads replaced out the door including tax for $600. thanks for the help guys.