Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need last minute advice before i go to the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need last minute advice before i go to the dealer

hey guys i'm plannin on goin tomorrow to buy a SSMTL with navi. just wonderin if anybody can give me some last minute advice before i go. this is actually my first time buyin a new car. i need to know alot of things. i did my research, but i just want to hear some things you guys have experienced on your own.

how much is too much to be payin for a TL with navi?
Whats the best way to get the dealer to lower the price?
How can i get accessories without payin too much.

oh yeah, does anyone have a pic of a TL with just a front lip instead of the whole bodykit? does it still look good?

i would appreciate guys. thanks!!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is a link to an article about the dark side of the car business. It is specific to used cars, but a lot of the points have application to new cars.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41312
Old 03-31-2005, 08:11 AM
Racer

Go to the thread that lists of the prices that people have been paying for TLs on this forum. Go to the last page or two of that thread (the most recent postings) and print those off. Highlight the lowest prices that clearly state the price of the car, the options and include destination. You should locate about 4 deals on those sheets that argue your point. Put this in your back pocket to use as a negotiating tool.

Start by making an offer to your Sales Person that is a few hundred bucks below the best offer you find on this forum. When they come back with a counter offer (likely A LOT higher), suggest that you would like to talk directly to the Sales Manager. The Sales Manager will be much more willing to cut to the chase. Besides, the Sales Person has little or no negotiating power, whereas the Manager can negotiate the whole deal.

At that time, you can pull out your print out and show them what sort of deals on TLs have been selling all of the U.S. recently. When I did this with my Acura Sales Manager, he came within $200 of the lowest price I could find on this forum. He then agreed to sell me any parts I wanted for the car at his cost.

Whatever you do, never answer the question "How much would you like your payments to be?". If you do, you're toast!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:14 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
carguyrob,

Which dealer(s) are you going to see?
Old 03-31-2005, 08:33 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DMZ
carguyrob,

Which dealer(s) are you going to see?

I got a price from the dealer I didn't plan to buy from (Muller's Acura in Schaumburg) and then took that information and all the information I mentioned above to Arlington Acura in Palatine, IL. It is a Bob Rohrman dealer and I had purchased from another Rohrman dealership before so I also used that as leverage too. (The whole repeat customer bit.)

The great thing was that the whole negotiating process at Arlington Acura took less than 45 minutes. Now I just have to wait while they order the exact car I wanted. I put down a $500 deposit on my credit card. The manager even admitted that if I changed my mind, they couldn't legal keep my deposit.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:01 AM
Burning Brakes

they can not keep your deposit if you change your mind later, you can get it for 32500 even less if you shop around and let them compete for your business. I am looking for a 05 6mt with navi and that is the best price I have so far, I am hoping to get it for a little less
Old 03-31-2005, 09:22 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have a few hours to spare at work where you can fuck off, then read this: http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintr...z_ttky3&y=0x40
Old 03-31-2005, 09:44 AM
5th Gear

I am picking my New TL up tomorrow from my dealer. It’s a 05 Anthracite/Ebony 6M with Nav. I got online and mass emailed all of the dealers within 3 hours of me. After I got all the quotes back I played all the dealers against each other. My final price before taxes, title, etc was 32,500. I think you can do better than that. After getting that price set I made the dealer give me the wing at a about half the cost it normally is. So I feel that I got a good deal. The best thing to do is set a price that you can live with and then demand assc for cheap. Make sure they know that without the wing (or whatever it is) for a good price you wont buy the car. I did most of my dealing over the phone because I am at college and a couple of times I had to hang up. Tell whoever you are talking to that the wing (or whatever) will also be the difference between having your car serviced there and somewhere else. They make most of their money from service dept. Just stand firm and don’t feel bad about them saying they aren’t making any money. We all know that’s not true. Even at invoice they still make good money. Good luck to you man and make sure you get it on your terms. Also watch for hidden fees.

Sully
Old 03-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pretty good advice guys thanks. i was planning to call 3 dealerships before i go. like montclair (DCH) i believe, ramsey, and heart acura. alright guys thanks wish me luck.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:06 PM
Advanced

If you have time, read this article about car salesmen and what they do behind the scenes. It was a great read IMO.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm Baaack!

Been said in the other articles, but:
1) Work overall price NOT payments
2) Separate new car price from trade in
3) Don't be afraid to walk away if they aren't playing ball .. be polite and invite them to call you when they can meet your requirement
4) Ask them to explain anything you don' t undersatnd ... i.e. why is my color combo $3000 more than the one on the floor??
5) Assuming you get what you want .. pick it up during daylight and go over every square inch of the car (but that's for a different thread)

Most importantly ... Good Luck!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 01:55 PM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thaita78
If you have time, read this article about car salesmen and what they do behind the scenes. It was a great read IMO.
This is a great story so far....and I'm only on the 3rd page.