Sponsored by:

Need advice on maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on maintenance

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I was referred from a friend to join this forum. This is my first post so please pardon if any rules were broken. I need advise on parts and labor.

Symptoms/Inquiries
  1. I have been hearing clicking sounds when I turn the wheel so I am thinking its the CV joint.
  2. I have 95K miles and was wondering if I should get my timing belt and water pump changed?
  3. I was informed a motor mount is broken which is close to the timing belt. So the mechanic advised I change the motor mount when I get the timing belt and water pump changed.
  4. Can I download and upgrade my navigation to a newer version? If so where can I get the download? I have a 2005 TL.
Any help is appreciated and I hope to learn about the acura community.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by pboddy22
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and I was referred from a friend to join this forum. This is my first post so please pardon if any rules were broken. I need advise on parts and labor.

Symptoms/Inquiries
  1. I have been hearing clicking sounds when I turn the wheel so I am thinking its the CV joint.
  2. I have 95K miles and was wondering if I should get my timing belt and water pump changed?
  3. I was informed a motor mount is broken which is close to the timing belt. So the mechanic advised I change the motor mount when I get the timing belt and water pump changed.
  4. Can I download and upgrade my navigation to a newer version? If so where can I get the download? I have a 2005 TL.
1. Probably
2. Timing belt and water pump will need to be changed @ 105K, don't worry your car will tell you when its about time, if u wanna do it now, why not?
3. Who told you the motor mount is broken?
4. You can not download, you have to buy it. Dealer...BM...etc..

btw, are you the original owner or u just bought the car? i also have a 2005 but mine just passed 70K.
Old 02-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
4. You can buy a new DVD at www.acuranavi.com- they are on sale for $149 now.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:00 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Timing belt is due at 6 years or 105k.

Replace the side motor mount at the same time you do the timing belt job.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by spaceboy
4. You can not download, you have to buy it. Dealer...BM...etc..
Actually you can pirate the new 2012 4.a2 white disc navi map-update instead of paying $150
Old 02-12-2012, 02:57 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Bitter Melon
Timing belt is due at 7 years or 105k.

Replace the side motor mount at the same time you do the timing belt job.
Corrected
Old 02-12-2012, 08:29 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
there NOTHING written in stone about the 7 yr rule for the TB. no one has been able to provide evidence of this. OP-just follow your MID. you'll get to 105k if you daily drive your car sometime this year...so you'll be within that mythical 7 yr rule (give me proof).

the clicking, probably the outer CV joint. get the axle replaced.

motor mount...can't say...they are known to go bad. any extra vibrations in your car or steering wheel?

navi disc...you need to buy the latest disc which will run about $150 if you want the lastest maps. i have an 05...i still have the original disc in mine. you can try the BM, the dealer, or ebay. make sure you get the correct one for your car if you go ebay. i believe for the 05's its the orange disc.

bottomline, i fyou want to spread the pain of your mechanical fixes....get the axle fixed. then save up for the TB service and assume the motor mount is gone too so account for that. expect to drop anywhere from $600 to $1600 for TB service depending on where you go. motor mount...add another small chunk of change.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Personally I do not understand the 7 year rule on the TB change. If you were to base it on average miles driven of 12k a year that would be 84k in 7 yrs. at 8yrs 96k and 9 108k so i would think the would do 8 yrs 105k
Old 02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
The TB service is due AROUND 105K. Not at. In my case it was 102K. I think it's because my oil was ready to be changed and when it hit 15% it triggered the closest service.

OP - I would recommend getting all the work done at the same time. The CV and motor mounts will have to get done soon enough, so I would just get all of it done at the same time if you can get a good deal.

Where do you live? I got my TB service done at Hamilton Honda in NJ and it only cost $500. There are similar deals in other parts on the country.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
Actually you can pirate the new 2012 4.a2 white disc navi map-update instead of paying $150
That is the White disc, which is for the '07 and later Acuras. The '05 TL uses the Orange DVD, which has not been successfully duplicated AFAIK.

Updated versions of the Orange DVD also contain updates for the Navi software which help with Navi routing as well as updated addresses and POI.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
And that would be illegal (unless of course your making yourself a backup copy).
Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by pboddy22
Hello All,

Symptoms/Inquiries
Does the clicking go away when the car is warm? I had the same symptoms and had the CV joints replaced just yesterday. What is your year and mileage? It should be covered under 6 yr/70,000mi powertrain warranty or 7/100,000 if yours is Acura CPO.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
Personally I do not understand the 7 year rule on the TB change. If you were to base it on average miles driven of 12k a year that would be 84k in 7 yrs. at 8yrs 96k and 9 108k so i would think the would do 8 yrs 105k
yeah if i wait for 105k mi....my car will be 12 yrs old!!

the thing i do get is that the TB is made of rubber. and i know it can degrade with time. however i'm unclear as to how this 7 yr thing came about.

i'm going to inquire at my dealer the next time i'm over there and see what they say. this is one of those details that is debated on AZ quite frequently.

OP- the other thing you can do...buy the parts online through an OEM parts vendor/dealer (usually sold at a 25% discount) then take all the parts to the dealer for the install. you'll save a little bit of money rather than paying full price for parts the dealer would otherwise provide for you.

oddly, the honda dealer wanted $400 for a rear brake job (pad replacement) for the accord we have. we declined. bought rear pads, and then took them back to the dealer for install. charged $150. the pads were less than $50. saved $200. of course DIY is always the nicer option (but when you don't have the tools, expertise or facilities to do the job...).

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 02-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

7 year is because the average person will drive a car for 15k a year plus or minus a few hundred miles and it depends on a few factors such as age.

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Sub 4 Service:

Replace timing belt. If the vehicle is regularly driven in very high temperatures (over 110 ºF, 43 ºC), or in very low temperatures (under -20 ºF, -29 ºC), replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.)/100,000 km (Canada) and inspect water pump.

Inspect the timing belt for cracks and oil or coolant contamination. Replace the belt if it is cracked, or is contaminated with oil or coolant.

Also you're vehicle is properly tensioned by a hydraulic tensioner. There is no general rule of how long these will last.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Mine did not have any oil or coolant contamination or cracked. The belt looked clean. That said....was I going to risk the belt snapping to save some cash....NO.

IMO, if you have a bunch of stuff that needs to get done anyways and you are that close, then just get the TB service done at the same time.
The following users liked this post:
Acura_Dude (02-12-2012)
Old 02-12-2012, 01:29 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
The TB service is due AROUND 105K. Not at. In my case it was 102K. I think it's because my oil was ready to be changed and when it hit 15% it triggered the closest service.

OP - I would recommend getting all the work done at the same time. The CV and motor mounts will have to get done soon enough, so I would just get all of it done at the same time if you can get a good deal.

Where do you live? I got my TB service done at Hamilton Honda in NJ and it only cost $500. There are similar deals in other parts on the country.
^That. I agree with this whole post AND Bitter Melon. I'd just take the TL to your local Honda dealer. Thats the good thing about Acura/Honda sharing motors/platforms. I'm guessing Acura charges more because of the brand. Another way to differentiate itself.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:50 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Originally Posted by Bitter Melon
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/ohim/onh00/bar8.htm

Sub 4 Service:

Replace timing belt. If the vehicle is regularly driven in very high temperatures (over 110 ºF, 43 ºC), or in very low temperatures (under -20 ºF, -29 ºC), replace every 60,000 miles (U.S.)/100,000 km (Canada) and inspect water pump.

Inspect the timing belt for cracks and oil or coolant contamination. Replace the belt if it is cracked, or is contaminated with oil or coolant.

Also you're vehicle is properly tensioned by a hydraulic tensioner. There is no general rule of how long these will last.
again this if the operative word or words here ^^^ "regularly driven" in extreme conditions. VERY FEW people fall into this category.

so i understand if there are cracks or contamination or other issues that come up pertaining to the TB or water pump...then yes...by all means get it replaced.

and no it's not worth the risk of damaging your engine. in the case of the OP, he will most likely reach the point where the MID will tell him to do the TB service sometime this year depending on his MID. so he's got a year to save up and do the service...well maybe less than a year.

it's not like your car hits 7 yrs old and the TB snaps. there are so many variables...again i will discuss this service with my dealer the next time i'm there and share my findings when i have them in hand.

i think for those with an 04 or an 05 and they are getting to within 10-15k mi of the TB service...won't necessarily need to worry about it and wait for the MID to tell them. its those of us with low mileage TL's (me and many others) that own 04/05's that wonder...what is truly recommended by the dealer OR Acura.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
again this if the operative word or words here ^^^ "regularly driven" in extreme conditions. VERY FEW people fall into this category.
If it doesn't apply to your driving habits then it doesn't apply to your driving habits but to say VERY FEW is an assumption. If you have said something like statistically the majority of acura buyers live in areas without these extreme conditions and you cited where you got your information from then it would be considered a statistic and something to be worth considering.

Also, you didn't address the hydraulic timing belt tensioner statement or how it can affect you or anyone else driving these cars.

and no it's not worth the risk of damaging your engine. in the case of the OP, he will most likely reach the point where the MID will tell him to do the TB service sometime this year depending on his MID. so he's got a year to save up and do the service...well maybe less than a year.

it's not like your car hits 7 yrs old and the TB snaps. there are so many variables...again i will discuss this service with my dealer the next time i'm there and share my findings when i have them in hand.

i think for those with an 04 or an 05 and they are getting to within 10-15k mi of the TB service...won't necessarily need to worry about it and wait for the MID to tell them. its those of us with low mileage TL's (me and many others) that own 04/05's that wonder...what is truly recommended by the dealer OR Acura.
bottom line is that the engines are interference engine so

no it's not worth the risk of damaging your engine.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:06 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well everything is up for interpretation and i dont' really feel like getting into a pissing war with you over it. the key world was "regularly driven." how would you define that?? last time i checked most of the US only hits the extremes a few months out of the year. is that considered regularly driven?

i would think Alaska would apply to extreme or say hot desert conditions most months out of the year.

i'm just saying provide documentation from acura stating this 7 yr rule.

ok i'm done. nothing i say will change your mind and nothing you say to me will convince me otherwise. its all left to interpretation. again, i will seek the advice of my dealer and see what they say to determine the needs for my car. have a good evening!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I called the Honda Dealership around the corner from my house and they quoted the same price as the Acura Dealer on the timing belt. I have an '05 6mt with 104k on her. There is an independent shop called Jap Tech near me in Pembroke Pines. Anyone know about them?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Intermediate

ok i'm done. nothing i say will change your mind and nothing you say to me will convince me otherwise.