3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice for a long driving trip.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 05:47 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice for a long driving trip.......

Hi all I have an 04 TL that I'm planning to drive to Texas from California. My plan is to pass flagstaff to Oklahoma then Texas. Anything I have to do aside from getting my oil change done before i leave?

Any advice would help i just want my car to be in good running condition currently have 83k miles on the car.

thanks
Old 11-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Received 5,934 Likes on 2,927 Posts
Originally Posted by s2kver02
Hi all I have an 04 TL that I'm planning to drive to Texas from California. My plan is to pass flagstaff to Oklahoma then Texas. Anything I have to do aside from getting my oil change done before i leave?

Any advice would help i just want my car to be in good running condition currently have 83k miles on the car.

thanks
Just make sure they check all the fluids when they change the oil and maybe check the spare tire to make sure it has air, just in case. Other than that, you should be good.

BTW, if you are going through Flagstaff make sure you check the weather on your way. The elevation there is relatively high and they could get snow.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For long highway driving it may be a good idea to inflate the tires a few psi above the recommended to get slightly better fuel economy.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
agree on tire psi- about 2 above normal, so in reality- with many of us running higher than factory spec tires/pressure - use the 80%+ a few psi rule
look at the max cold psi at max weight listed on the tire
determine % amount you are below that weight,(about 80) reduce pressure percentage equal to that and you have a starting number
Example if cold psi max is 50, you run 36-38 all around now, 40 would be good for trip

I like to do a seafoam treatment to clean the engine and injection systems before a trip, will pay you back in a few states~

NOTE If your brake fluid/car is at or over year 3 in age, its time to FLUSH/Replace all the brake fluid, then every year from now on.
Before a trip that involves mountains,,definetly!!

Bring extra washer fluid and first place in the mountains that sells stuff good below 32 degrees, grab a gallon and put it in!!

Check ALL the light bulbs, license plate light, 3rd brake, turn signals etc
Clean the windows inside and out- use a no-fog product if needed
No reason to give them a reason to pull you over--obstucted view-ice...
You are just minding your business driving safely down the road
Have a good trip! Bring camera!

If tired, meaning you nod head forward as you fall asleep-
more than once, twice-by the 3rd time, better be getting off the freeway ...pull off at the next exit and rest!! Too many other drivers are not alert, so you with the out of state plates, need to be on the lookout
Every 2 hours- max -get out of the car for a few minutes to restore blood flow to your legs and let the eyes rest
Stretching out on the picnic tables for a few minutes really helps your back in the long run. `Arrive Alive` is the most important thing

call acura 1-800-392-2238 x5 or in person at dealer - have them run the VIN for recall check, make sure everything is current on your car
Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 PM
4th Gear

Thanks everybody I'm really excited about the trip but somewhat nervous coz this is my first road trip. Good advice about the brake fluid flash... looking forward for more advice.

thanks again everybody!
Old 11-27-2008, 11:49 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your car is four years old? Has the battery been replaced? The stock batteries are not good for much more than 3-4 years. I'd also get that replaced if it has not been, just for added peace of mind.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Traveling the country

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just get it checked out as others stated and you should be good to go.

The day I picked my TL up I went for 1500 mile trip.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
If tired, meaning you nod head forward as you fall asleep-
more than once, twice-by the 3rd time, better be getting off the freeway ...pull off at the next exit and rest!!
Heh! I was driving across the eastern US last year, as night came I felt myself really wanting to sleep so I pulled off the highway into a rest area and tried to sleep. As I turned off my engine the urge to sleep went away and 25 minutes later as I realized I wasn't gonna fall asleep I got back on the highway. Not 15 minutes later I felt really sleepy again. I took the next exit, pulled into the parking lot of some mall, and tried to sleep. Again, couldn't fall asleep, did not feel the least bit sleepy, my mind kept filling with thoughts and I couldn't clear it. Got back on the highway, 30 mins later I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open again. This time I pull into a restaurant and order a large coffee and then an ice cappucino, then try driving again, manage to go for about half an hour before my eyes get heavy again. Over the course of that night I pulled off the highway 3 more times to try to sleep, and each tiem couldn't sleep, before I finally reached the canadian border around 5 am and got home around 8 am. Then I got in bed and slept until evening.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:55 PM
4th Gear

Thanks everybody!