3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is NAVI really worth $3500?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:37 PM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
gotta go, the Acura NAv is 1-way, meaning our NAv only receives signals from the GPS sats, it doesn't broadcast its position, like cars with ONStar do, for the purpose of locating a stolen or crashed vehicle. Two separate technologies, so don't worry!
Old 04-10-2004, 07:38 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fast-tl
JBSL, the $3500 difference apparently refers to the price difference between navi and non-navi cars ($2000) PLUS the fact that non-navi cars are available at a discount ($1500). So the "price difference" is $2000, and the original poster is saying that the dealer won't budge from MSRP on the Navi cars. I think that's an apples and oranges comparison. It's like people saying the '04 TL is $8000 more expensive because dealers are liquidating the '03s. The "price difference" is about $2500; it's just that no one wants the old ones, so they're going at a fire sale price.
I was at my local dealer on Thursday. They had probably 30-50 non-Nav TLs, and only five Nav TLs on the lot. Of the Navs, all but one were white. They were willing to go $1k under MSRP on the white navs, but would only go $500 under MSRP for the lone silver w/nav.

I would assume that there was ample room to negotiate on the non-navs given how many of them were on the lot. However, after toying with the nav it was one of the primary reasons why I picked the TL over others in its class. It, to me, is worth the extra cash.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:48 AM
10th Gear

Navi? It's not the money, but it's too much!

If you want "cool", get the navi.......If you want navi, get a PocketPC, and a GPS receiver.....I did....total cost (not including the TL) was around 500 bucks, and I can take it into the woods! The difference will pay for a decent trip to Hawaii, or as someone else said, fund your IRA for a year.

AND.....I can use the Navi in my Mazda, my Vette, and my other Mazda.

1 month TL owner. This group was the thing that pushed me over the fence on my choice (hope Acura realizes this)

ABP-AT-Non-Nav
Dell Axim X5 - Deluo GPS Receiver (Navi)
Old 04-10-2004, 09:56 AM
I love cars!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
stevejc, you bought a PDA, GPS Receiver AND software for $500? Specs, please. That seems too god to be true. Most Navi software I've looked at for my Tshiba e750 has been a couple hundred, plus $100 for the GPS receiver. The PDA itself listed for around $300. Anyway, the PDA will not do yellow pages features or do a handsfree dial of those entries, nor will it find the nearest Jack-in-the-Box or Acura dealer. It will also not allow you to look up destinations by phone number or carry information for the entire US at one time so you can plot routes on the fly. So there's some additional features for the addtional cash. Also, again, the car's NAVI doesn;t become a projectile in the event of a crash, nor need to be removed each time you leave the car.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:45 AM
10th Gear

Navi - Built in or carry with....

Fast-TL,
I agree with your points about the navi, however, for me when weighing all the pluses and minuses of each method, this was the best of all worlds for me. The limitations of the hand held (mostly not being integrated to the phone, and not as easy to see) were not enought to justify the money (if money were the issue, I wouldn't be a TL owner (paid cash). The Dell Axim X5 currently sells for 254, and the Deluo CF GPS receiver, antenna, and Routis software bundle was 290. (so I lied, it was 544, not 500). I regularly drive 3 cars (98 626 for my daily 140 mile comute, the Vette when it's georgous out, and the TL the rest of the time. The Axim goes where I go. You can't beat the coolness factor and the integration with the car, but for me, well, if we all thought exactly alike, imagine how boring the world would be, and there would be nothing BUT TLs on the road! ;-}

On a different subject (but having to do with built-ins), I had to buy a 2nd XM radio (with an auto and boom box adapter) because I love the thing so much, and the one in the TL doesn't travel from car to car or the beach. Built in is cool, but now I have two subscriptions to XM, and may soon be 3 once the wife understands what I've been talking about.

I LOVE THIS FRIGGIN' CAR!!!! Oops, that reminds me....my local Acura dealer does free hand car washes every saturday, and I've had my shower, so it's time to motor on over for a bath!

Steve
Old 04-10-2004, 11:50 AM
10th Gear

more on the Routis software

Fast-TL - Yes it will show you the nearest Jack-in-the-box, (gas station, bank, ATM, Hospital, etc) although it's beyond me why anyone would need to know that!! MS Pocket maps (integrates to GPS receiver) does the phone number thing, but not Routis. Check out www.deluo.com. Not a huge company, but very good and responsive to customers. And Dell, well they're Dell!

Steve
Old 04-10-2004, 01:01 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow free washes that is great! Where my sis lives the Acura dealer gives them a free pass to a local club (lounge, pool etc.). What color is your TL? I'm getting ready to buy one but haven't decided on color.......
Old 04-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Instructor

I can read a map pretty damn good for three thousand five hundred dollars. BTW, nav DECREASES resale, albeit minimal, but still...
Old 04-10-2004, 03:03 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by kadams64
How do you get your Navi to display trip computer information?

And how to you get your Navi to display compass headings?

Thanks!
The compass is built-in into the graphics screen (arrow/or Acura logo points north - your choice), like you mentioned before, although you can still get Longitude and Latitude info...

the Trip Computer is part of the Hidden screen for Development and Support...
instructions:

Press Map/Guide, Menu and Cancel at the same time for a few seconds. Checkout the screen that comes up.

it's inside one of those menus, remember to press RETURN button to get back to normal... (and be carefull on changing settings to Canada or Km instead of miles...etc).

my NAV only cost me $1200 since I got an $800 discount.
very worth it.
Old 04-10-2004, 03:06 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by pabound
I can read a map pretty damn good for three thousand five hundred dollars. BTW, nav DECREASES resale, albeit minimal, but still...
yes, but you cannot find a hospital and get there in less than 10 minutes so save somebody's life, like it happened to me! - my cousin is alive because of the very fast response.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Team Anthracite

i just saw a guy pulled over near my work trying to decypher a map of raleigh

:lol2:

that wont be me.
Old 04-10-2004, 06:07 PM
Instructor

Why didn't you dial 911??????????
Old 04-10-2004, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pabound
Why didn't you dial 911??????????
Exactly the right thing to do. Many people die as they are being driven to hospitals by relatives.
Old 04-10-2004, 07:57 PM
Instructor

EXACTLY. EMS can provide instant, ALS lifesaving interventions right NOW. Given the exception an event happened while driving to another destintion, this practice can only be described as foolhearty.

Can you intubate, start IV's, provide medications, oxygen in our TL??

Sorry, glad to hear that you relative is well, but trust me, with 15+ years in medicine, you are an exception, and not one to be followed, or recommended.

Kinda like the person who says they heard of someone that couldn't get out of their seatbelt when their car went off a bridge...

Be well Nos 3.2
Old 05-14-2006, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up The Navigator is a MUST

With the Navigator:

1. You won't get lost. Which, for a female, can be quite scary when stuck in unfamiliar territory especially at night.

2. You can find the nearest gas station, which is a big help when you're not in your town.

3. I like how the car will tell me what restaurants are nearby. Any category. It's a big help.

4. There are so many pluses to list. I like the voice activation for music. I don't have to take my eyes off the road. I can speak and the stereo will switch to a specific track on a specific cd. I love that I can answer my cell phone without fumbling for my it in my purse or next to me.

If you stay in your neighborhood a lot than a navigator isn't needed, but the Acura TL is pure sin to drive around. I think you would be missing out if you didn't take it out for a spin and travel to horizons unknown.