navi confused

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003 | 12:03 PM
Advanced

navi confused

I've had my car for 1 week and love the navi...very accurate! But yesterday, i was driving down one ave. and it showed up as the avenue one block over. i'm hoping it was a satellite glitch and not my system...anybody else encounter such probs yesterday?
Old 11-05-2003 | 12:10 PM
Racer

Don't forget that the civilian application is accurate to within about 350 ft or so. Military applications are accurate to within about 35 ft or less.
Old 11-05-2003 | 12:14 PM
Banned

It's not a glitch. Although the system is excellent occasional mistakes and misdirections exist in the database its just unavoidable with 7 million! points of interests. Always keep your wits around the system. It's good but far from perfect!
Old 11-05-2003 | 02:53 PM
Racer

Now that Selective Availability (SA) is off the accuracy of civilian GPS units is probably 50 feet or better. Both the Navi in my prior 01CL-S and in my TL occasionally get confused, and show the car being one street over, or between streets. It is probably a function of how many satellites the GPS unit is able to receive at a given time. The system also uses dead reckoning, steering and wheel sensors, which is why it work in parking structures.

-r
Old 11-05-2003 | 03:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by acura_driver
Now that Selective Availability (SA) is off the accuracy of civilian GPS units is probably 50 feet or better.

-r
Hmmmmm, I believe that in times of war, the military has the capability to adjust the accuracy of the signals. I remember reading this somewhere. I think it may have been Air Force Magazine.
Old 11-05-2003 | 03:26 PM
Racer

Originally posted by HacksawHilliard
Hmmmmm, I believe that in times of war, the military has the capability to adjust the accuracy of the signals. I remember reading this somewhere. I think it may have been Air Force Magazine.
Yes, they can. They can also control the accuracy of the non-encrypted signals based on geographic area, which is why they decided it was OK to turn off SA.

-r
Old 11-05-2003 | 04:17 PM
Instructor

I find that the Navi is often off before it gets a fix, or when it loses a fix temporarily (under a bridge, e.g.) The dead reconning only works so well. Then the "lock to road" feature can sometimes lock to the wrong road until the fix is updated.

I have found, lately, that the system is sometimes a hundred or so feet behind (and it does not catch up when you stop). A few times it has put me little ahead. This can be confusing with streets close together. It seems to correct itself when it locks onto the new road on a turn, however.
Old 11-05-2003 | 05:47 PM
Instructor

Does the Navi know about one way streets?
Old 11-05-2003 | 05:52 PM
Racer

Originally posted by elbodude
Does the Navi know about one way streets?
Yes. I think it puts a symbol on one way streets too. Or at least that is what it looked like when I recently had it guide me to a destination.

-roger
Old 11-06-2003 | 09:25 AM
Instructor

One way streets

When the Navi brings up the detailed turn screen, it displays a little red circle with a white line through it on the one way streets. I have not seen anything about one way streets on the general display, so unless you are navigating, you won't know (therefore, it is difficult to plot a route manually using the map if there are one way streets involved).

Note, in "unverified areas" this one way info is generally not available, hence the annoying legal disclaimer, so you can't sue Acura if you turn the wrong way on a one way street just cause it tells you to.

On an amusing side note, on Long Island, there is a Honda dealer on Glen Cove Road. The Navi has the address as Glen Cove Avenue, which is a couple of miles north. So, the Honda dealer displays on the wrong street. Even with 7 million points of interest, you'd think they'd get their own dealers right (especially since you can't turn them off). They also have one restuarant with three different names in the database. It has been those three names over the past several years, but one of them has been gone for 15 years!
Old 11-06-2003 | 04:25 PM
Instructor

I think my Nav gets mad at me when I change routes and it recalculate the destination path.

Both my house and work address are off-road according to the database. It also does not have certain stores I am searching for. A search of nearby BestBuy's showed two within Kansas City and I knew of 2 closer ones that have been around since I have been here (7 years).