Nav Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004 | 12:43 PM
Advanced

Nav Question

I am curious how people like and use the Nav System. I will be purchacing a new TL soon and can't decide whether or not to spring for the extra bucks.

Are the directions acurate? (no pun intended!) A buddy with another make (Lexus, I think) said his system is always giving bogus directions, and that the route planner rarely gives the best route to take.

I do travel a lot, so I am leaning on getting it, but wanted to know how people that have had it for a bit feel.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2004 | 12:53 PM
Racer

I have it, I use it all the time, I like it a lot. Sometimes I choose a different road here and there because I happen to know there are less lights or stop signs, or I know it to usually have less traffic in general. It's great when you're out of town or in unfamiliar areas. Not only makes it easy to look for things to do or places to eat, it's like always having the yellow pages handy. If you have a bluetooth phone, it'll even dial the number for you. This is my second car with navi; once you have it, you're spoiled.
Old 03-08-2004 | 12:59 PM
Instructor

Get the nav...its absolutely worth it. When i bought my car, i cheaped out in favour of the 2k.....regretted it ever since.
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:13 PM
Team Anthracite President

GET THE NAVI!

The Navagation is the "Jewel in the Crown" of this fine vehicle. Long story short, I had a 03 TL non-Navi, I know own an 04 TL with Navi.

You can elect not to get the Navi, but like most of the other folks who missed the boat, mark my words:"You'll-be-sorry."

Mike Smeezy
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Its worth it for the voice controlled everything. The navi is just a bonus.
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

if you don't travel i'd say you could probably skip it if you didn't know whether to get it or not. since you travel, i'd get it
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:39 PM
Advanced

Re: GET THE NAVI!

Originally posted by Vffr1
You can elect not to get the Navi, but like most of the other folks who missed the boat, mark my words:"You'll-be-sorry."

Mike Smeezy
I elected to not get the nav and I'm not sorry. I like the car just the way it is.
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:45 PM
never stops!

This Nav system is a fine acclaimed Alpine system. It comes handy and is most accurate on the market. I always wanted it in my new car, which I got. Get it and you'd love it.
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:50 PM
Instructor

If the NAV system was *only* used for NAV, then I wouldn't both getting it. HOWEVER, Acura did a wondeful job incorporating so much into the NAV screen. IE: XM/CD/AM/FM station information, speaker/treble/bass/sub adjustments, calendar/calculator, touch screen access to adjust settings, etc.

They did a wonderful job it making the screen do more than just plot directions. I looked at the non-navi modules and was turned off.. the console just looks so emply and cheap without the nav screen. ... it doesn't flow nicely at all.

As for the actual NAV side of it, I love it as well. Tonight for dinner, I am thinking about asking it to find me a nice italian resturant.. i think I will take it out to dinner. heh

Is anyone else's girlfriend/wife as jealous of the car as mine is? My g/f refers to it as the 'other woman'. She got mad at it last night because it gave better directions that she did (my g/f actually told me the wrong way to go). She got mad, and changed the voice to the male voice for a while, heh.
Old 03-08-2004 | 01:53 PM
Advanced

LOL
Thanks for the input. I agree that the models without the NAV do look a little naked.
Old 03-08-2004 | 02:22 PM
Racer

yes and the non nav console looks dorky. the voice integration is very nice and I think nav should be standard on all cars. no you dont use it every day but when you NEED it its priceless.
Old 03-08-2004 | 03:34 PM
Cruisin'

More important than traveling out of town (which I do) is your sence of direction. If you are "directionally challenged" as I am - there's no better feeling than saying to the wife "just give me the address (or phone number for a business) - I don't need anything else".
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Thumbs up Re: Nav Question

Originally posted by billk86
I am curious how people like and use the Nav System. I will be purchacing a new TL soon and can't decide whether or not to spring for the extra bucks.

Are the directions acurate? (no pun intended!) A buddy with another make (Lexus, I think) said his system is always giving bogus directions, and that the route planner rarely gives the best route to take.

I do travel a lot, so I am leaning on getting it, but wanted to know how people that have had it for a bit feel.

Thanks!

I travel a lot, too. This is my first Navi vehicle, and, IMO, I made the right decision to have it.

Taking about the accruracy, it's almost 95% right. Although it may not give your the always-best directions from A to B, 04TL Navi always successfully guides you to the destinations without any problems in most of areas/neighborhoods.

In Nov., I drove to Little Rock, 11 days 3300 miles, I save tons of time by using this system without printing a bunch of maps/directions from Internet and my wife felt relaxed without checking maps for me. I ran to everywhere by following Navi's directions.

I don't see any major/confused problems so far in all my trips.

Plus, I like what my centrol console looks like.

Old 03-08-2004 | 04:42 PM
Racer

Originally posted by digital_b
yes and the non nav console looks dorky. the voice integration is very nice and I think nav should be standard on all cars. no you dont use it every day but when you NEED it its priceless.
I don't want to make negative comments about anyone else's non-navi TL, they got a great car too, and probably a better deal for it. That said, I agree that the navi model boasts a higher degree of form and function in the way the center stack is arranged and executed. They did a good job of incorporating audio functions into the screen, particularly with XM. All XM info is there at a glance; station, category, artist, title, presets, and all functions can be activated via touch screen. Too bad they overlooked enabling of track reading/title displays for CDs and DVDs, that would have been equally useful.
Old 03-08-2004 | 04:52 PM
10th Gear

get the nav ... even tho its 2k extra i think the car looks better with it ... it feels like the car is trying to fill empty space without the nav

i personally love the screen ... nice controls for radio/dvd/xm etc ... i know my way around pretty well so i rarely use the actual nav ... but getting to some "landmarks"/locatiosn in its directory is pretty helpful ... and it'll tell you where the nearest gas or atm is ... that is very helpful
Old 03-08-2004 | 07:09 PM
Racer

get the nav... Its worth the extra 2k... absolutely love the nav and the features CD/XM/FM/Voice Commands are really cool.
Old 03-08-2004 | 07:31 PM
Advanced

Some pretty convincing arguments.

Thanks.