Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav/Homelink robberies

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 11:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav/Homelink robberies

I heard of a disturbing occurence of a vehicle with a Navigation unit that was stolen and the thief used the "Go Home" feature along with the Homelink remote to break into the owners home. Since I use the Homelink to open my garage I can easily fall into this scenario. I'm planning on changing my home address to something close to the house but not my exact address. Anyone else heard of something like this?
Old 04-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Hence why my home address is protected by a PIN on my '03 TL-S
Old 04-30-2004, 11:55 AM
BOOK EM

PIN# is needed for this to work
Old 04-30-2004, 12:13 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is why I got the house with the DETACHED garage
Old 04-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Team NightHawk VP

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1:
Old 04-30-2004, 02:49 PM
Intermediate

Same risk exists without nav and homelink -- I have a garage door opener and my address on the registration in the glove box. Thief just wouldn't get turn by turn directions to my house.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by runopenloop
Same risk exists without nav and homelink -- I have a garage door opener and my address on the registration in the glove box. Thief just wouldn't get turn by turn directions to my house.
Exactly.
That's why when my car was stolen some years ago (before navi even existed) the first thing I did when I finally got home was reprogram my garage door opener.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Instructor

ok, probably a dumb question, but why would you need to program in your house address into the navi? Can't you find your way home? I don't mean to sound like a jerk either.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:18 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Props to the thief. Good plan.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:19 PM
You touch my tra la la...

Originally Posted by jzinckgra
ok, probably a dumb question, but why would you need to program in your house address into the navi? Can't you find your way home? I don't mean to sound like a jerk either.
Well, what do people use Navis for in the first place? So they can find their way somewhere they don't know how to get to. You think after following a navigation there they will remember the opposite way home? Or do you think they would want to? Or perhaps they need to find a detour or something. Whatever the case, once you get from point A to point B, you have to get back to point A.

When we go skiing up in Canada and stuff we don't know how to get home. Granted, we know what interstate to take and the general route, but nothing compares to how percise the Nav would be.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:31 PM
never stops!

It comes very handy when you are in an unknown area of the city, close or far away from home and you say GO HOME and it get's you on a freeway. Once on a freeway you cancel the route. I use GO HOME commad for this way many times.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I carry a photocopy of the auto registration without my address in the glove box, and a photocopy with my address in my wallet. For the NAVI "home address" I use an address that is about a block away and don't use a PIN. That way I don't need to enter a PIN whenever I want to say "go home". I do use a PIN on the address book.

-r
Old 04-30-2004, 04:53 PM
Instructor

Well, what do people use Navis for in the first place? So they can find their way somewhere they don't know how to get to. You think after following a navigation there they will remember the opposite way home? Or do you think they would want to? Or perhaps they need to find a detour or something. Whatever the case, once you get from point A to point B, you have to get back to point A.
I figured this was going to be the reponse. What I meant was, once you get within a few miles of your home, I would think you know where you are and wouldn't need navi. Usually, once I get near home or a place I am familiar with I cancel the route. Again, not making fun, but I guess I wasn't clear on my original question.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by acura_driver
I carry a photocopy of the auto registration without my address in the glove box, and a photocopy with my address in my wallet. For the NAVI "home address" I use an address that is about a block away and don't use a PIN. That way I don't need to enter a PIN whenever I want to say "go home". I do use a PIN on the address book.

-r
That sounds like a reasonable solution. I use the Go Home feature often from locations around town especially when there is alot of traffic and I want to avoid the highways.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:30 PM
Life is good.

Nice, old school! My house was built in 68, the garage is attached to the house, but you cannot enter the house from the garage, it has a side door, used to think it was ghetto. :rocketwho
Old 04-30-2004, 05:37 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Also lock your glove compartment because...
many people keep their home address in papers in there...
for example:

Your Auto insurance papers have that information
Car Rental receipt
Medical records, etc

you have to be on the alert all the times, it's better to be safe.

My home address is not on the NAVI so "Go Home" only takes me 5 blocks away.

good luck all...
Old 04-30-2004, 05:52 PM
never stops!

Hey! Just got an Idea. How about saving a Police Station address in GO HOME location?
Old 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by joganjani
Hey! Just got an Idea. How about saving a Police Station address in GO HOME location?
Hah, that's funny.

Is it legal to keep a COPY of the auto registration and insurance vs that of the originals? I thought you had to keep the originals.
Old 04-30-2004, 05:57 PM
Racer

:lol1::lol1::lol1:
Old 04-30-2004, 05:59 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by Lore
Is it legal to keep a COPY of the auto registration and insurance vs that of the originals? I thought you had to keep the originals.

That's exactly what I was thinking. The letter with license tag says to keep the original in the car.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Lore
If probably varies from state to state. This is from the CA DMV site:

Registration Card Kept With Vehicle

4454. (a) Every owner , upon receipt of a registration card , shall maintain the same or a facsimile copy thereof with the vehicle for which issued.

(b) This section does not apply when a registration card is necessarily removed from the vehicle for the purpose of application for renewal or transfer of registration , or when the vehicle is left unattended .

(c) Any violation of this section shall be cited in accordance with the provisions of Section 40610.

Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 106, Stats. 1999. Effective January 1, 2000.
-r
Old 04-30-2004, 07:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Jessedog
I heard of a disturbing occurence of a vehicle with a Navigation unit that was stolen and the thief used the "Go Home" feature along with the Homelink remote to break into the owners home. Since I use the Homelink to open my garage I can easily fall into this scenario. I'm planning on changing my home address to something close to the house but not my exact address. Anyone else heard of something like this?
Occurence with a vehicle??? What type?? Not a TL hopefully?? How did they steal the car??? Hopefully the TL is not that easy.

?? Are you changing your home address to that of a neighbor you don't like??? LOL! I've got a few
:devil: :devil:
Old 04-30-2004, 07:41 PM
Racer

So far, I haven't had to find my way home. Might have to after a night out partying :clown: :clown:
Old 04-30-2004, 11:40 PM
Team SSM

if it gets stolen cant they track it down with the navi???
Old 04-30-2004, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tajam
I don't think the navi sends out a signal. It only receives from the GPS satellites.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:13 AM
Team SSM

how does roadside assitance work, I thought they know where you are.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Not 100% sure about this, Tajam, but I think you have to be able to tell them where you are. Either by your own knowledge or what the Navi says. This is different from On-Star, which has a cell phone component that CAN tell them where you are. Sort of scary, though, no?
Old 05-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Team SSM

Also isnt their a way for acura to shut down your navi?

oh yeah and your right, just remembered all Acuras have roadside assistance.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

I don't have my car yet (ordered today), but I don't see any realistic way this could be possible. The GPS receiver in the TL is completely autonomous. It supplies position to the navigation system. Since there is not an integrated data communication system (e.g. a cell phone) in the system, there would be no way for Acura or anyone else to send commands to the car or shut down the nav system. Granted, the hands free profile support is there, but a) it doesn't support a data connection (e.g. PPP) and b) even if it did, Acura or big brother would need to know your #, and you'd have to have a phone and have it on.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
Also lock your glove compartment because...
many people keep their home address in papers in there...
for example:

Your Auto insurance papers have that information
Car Rental receipt
Medical records, etc

you have to be on the alert all the times, it's better to be safe.

My home address is not on the NAVI so "Go Home" only takes me 5 blocks away.

good luck all...
The problem with locking your glove box is if your car gets stolen, the theif might break into the glove box damaging your dash. A locked glove box would indicate there is something in there worth stealing. If your car is recovered you would very likely be replacing the dash along with any other damage.

The locked glove box is really only good for keeping the valet's honest.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:35 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The Navi is definitely only "one-way".

BTW, this thread sure could be the start of a new "Urban Legend". Maybe we can spice the story up a bit?

Personally, I doubt that this truly happened yet. The Voice Recognition in the Acura Navis are a pretty new technology, and the thief would have to know just what to do.

When the V.R. feature becomes more commonplace, I'll bet this problem will happen quite a bit, though.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:37 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope. Acura doesn't have any communication mechanism with your 04TL. There isn't any form of OnStar in the 04TL.
Old 05-03-2004, 02:47 PM
Racer

I register my cars to a PO box. This has paid off more than once.

Years back I was dating a girl and a jealous boyfriend tried twice to get my address from DMV using my license plate #. Whew!

Also, I have a home security system that includes the door from the garage to the house.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:05 PM
My name is RL.

Yeah, I live at the, uhh, police station...

Excellent idea. Or maybe you could set the go home to a church near your house. I would use the address of a gas station, drug store, grocery store or something right off of my freeway exit. No need to lead some thief into your neighborhood.
Old 05-04-2004, 12:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by automophile
Years back I was dating a girl and a jealous boyfriend tried twice to get my address from DMV using my license plate #.
Of course he was mad especially if he was STILL the current boyfriend :toothless . I think you meant ex-boyfriend...right?
Old 05-04-2004, 02:43 PM
Racer

Uh Yeah - That's it - Uh - Ex-boyfriend! (I think). Didn't ask her!
Old 11-15-2005, 02:52 PM
10th Gear

Your mailing address is in the Internet anyway. It is almost like public information. See how many junk mails you got every day. They don't need to use your 'go home' feature to locate your residence. If they want to rob you, they could do it with or without your car. If you see your stolen car in your neighborhood, you will certainly call the cops anyway. Well, that is why NRA recommends you to get a weapon to protect youself and your property. Furthermore, it is just an Acura and not even Mercedes.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

sometimes on the way home from someplace i don't normally travel to - I use the go home func in the navi - just to watch the miles to home / est time in the display as I drive back
Old 11-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by peterpan_991
Your mailing address is in the Internet anyway. It is almost like public information. See how many junk mails you got every day. They don't need to use your 'go home' feature to locate your residence. If they want to rob you, they could do it with or without your car. If you see your stolen car in your neighborhood, you will certainly call the cops anyway. Well, that is why NRA recommends you to get a weapon to protect youself and your property. Furthermore, it is just an Acura and not even Mercedes.

another one raised from the dead. Hey peter, was it necessary to resurrect this one? just wondering why you needed to comment in a thread thats over a year old....
Old 11-16-2005, 08:37 AM
10th Gear

I thought it was the page 2. Anyway, the title of the thread is 'Nav/Homelink robberies '