Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:( my t.l DROWNED today....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mio
the INJEN cai is lower than AEM or what?

I think the AEM filter location is pretty high, or that puddle must be very deep.
Mio....this is one of those classic cases I was telling you about. Dude drove into water WAY too deep....not a real intelligent thing to do. And he says....I saw somebody make it though.... DUDE....YOU PUT A CAI ON YOUR CAR...WHAT PART OF DONT DRIVE THOUGH HIGH WATER DIDNT YOU UNDERSTAND? Or was it the high water part that confused you. I swear...I am gonna have to post pics of what high water is? I have a road behind my house the floods in heavy rain that would be perfect.....I could take my TL out and get pics of JUST WHEN THE WATER GETS TOO HIGH! Basically...if its over about ..put it this way Mio.....the intake sits at LEAST 13 - 14 inches off the ground....whats that tell ya? Either this dude was driving though water way too deep (which he seems to admit at some point) or he was going way too fast in deep water. I mean...I can creep though some high water (as to not splash it majorly in wheel wells) but drive full speed though most road puddles that you find under 4" or so and full speed at just about ANYTHING you will find on the highway.

Basically dude...you caused the problems yourself by not being vigillent of the fact you had a CAI installed. Fact is...you prob should not have driven though what you did in anything...doesnt matter that somebody "made it though." Common sense here prevails. See it every time it rains behind my house as the cars try to do what some other vehicle did and drown themselves out. I cant help but laugh...because in each and every case...it always begs the question when you see what they attempted to drive though because "somebody else made it".
Old 01-03-2006, 12:51 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even with the factory intake, wouldn't one still have problems with deep puddles? I mean, if the intake inlet gets blocked, the engine wouldn't be able to "breath" and would render hopeless as well? Am I wrong?
Old 01-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by 05TLTony
Even with the factory intake, wouldn't one still have problems with deep puddles? I mean, if the intake inlet gets blocked, the engine wouldn't be able to "breath" and would render hopeless as well? Am I wrong?
Yes. Whether with a stock or modded intake, you should exercise extreme caution when going through puddles (or more appropriately, lakes, as puddles are small and half flooded roadways contain more than a little water). Even before I put in my AEM, I avoided standing water...I bought a car, not a boat.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:02 PM
G35Killerrr

http://www.injen.com/7030_hydro.html
do u think this will work cuz i have this hydro shield on my AEM and i cut the plastic out so i can let more air to get in the cai so is that ok?? cuz i really carer
Old 01-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I feel sorry for you and hope all turns out ok. But wow that was a dumb thing to do. How do you not know not to drive through a crazy puddle as you put it with a CAI. Just blows my mind. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by scrb09
Sorry about the mishap and I will have a flame suit on just incase

why would you say this then? you obviously knew that your opinion is a little harsh..

whatever man, I just didnt think it was necessary at this point...

Originally Posted by scrb09
But you are greatly increasing your chances of getting Hydrolocked Engine when you have a CAI v/s Stock. They do not have the same probability.

Im not sure, maybe a little more risk but not enough to make me not want a CAI, but I understand where you're coming from on this...
Old 01-03-2006, 01:37 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks. I don't quite understand, though, what exactly happens to an engine when it's hydrolocked. Is it that water is not compressible so the tied rods, etc. get damaged when they try to squeeze a cylinder full of water? There must be some kind of permanent damage that makes it so you can't just pull the spark plugs and dry it out.

Edit: I should've read more of the thread. The answer to my question is posted already. Sorry for my stupidity!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trancemission
why would you say this then? you obviously knew that your opinion is a little harsh..
whatever man, I just didnt think it was necessary at this point...
I said that because I knew that CAI mod-fans like yourself would flame me for having an opinion to the contarary.

neways, I think not worth the hassle, you happen to think otherwise. Lets just leave it at that.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:03 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

Originally Posted by bklynpanman
CAI's aren't for idiots.. you see a big puddle or standing water like that, you don't go through it.. your fault bro..

had no choice.....
Old 01-03-2006, 02:12 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by jonmendo82
had no choice.....
Stop, pick up a phone and tell mom the road is flooded and you can't get through until it's no longer flooded. What would you have done if the puddle was six feet deep? Should be the same response.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:18 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

well shit.. ive read every post on here one after another. now had no choice but puddles. like i said before all three streets get fludded. when you got you moms talking you ear off how she wants a ride to her house, what are you going to do.. now i know it is my fault for going in the puddle, but was just looking for hope and what better place than on a acura t.l forum.... and never tried to PIN it on the dealer, was curious if anybody new if they would cover it. . i got my intake for the sound whick i loved.. but should have been more aware of what could happen. like i read lesson learned the HARD way... only 5 months old, damn shame
Old 01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

hey buddy told me to take out spakeys and try to turn it by hand to get the pistons to push out any water. . any thoughts on that????
Old 01-03-2006, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

hey buddy told me to take out spakeys and try to turn it by hand to get the pistons to push out any water. . any thoughts on that????

guess at this point what have you got to loose, I wish you hadnt tried to start it so much when it happened, but hey its worth a shot. Let us know what happens..
Old 01-03-2006, 03:13 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
get your threaded deleted from here before some one sends a copy to your dealership.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluenoise
Stop, pick up a phone and tell mom the road is flooded and you can't get through until it's no longer flooded. What would you have done if the puddle was six feet deep? Should be the same response.

You guys are harsh, sure he made a mistake by driving into the puddle but how about just giving him advice on what to do rather than imply that he was stupid? I don't think that's the sort of information he was looking for when he posted this thread
Old 01-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Take out the fuel pump fuse and take out all the spark plugs (have fun with the rear bank). Then crank the ignition and water should come out. After getting out as much water as possible, leave it to let dry.

Next, drain the oil to let the water in the oil pan come out.

After that, put the fuel pump fuse and the spark plugs back in and try to start it. If it doesn't crank, then you have bent piston rods most likely. If it starts up, then listen for any weird noises and keep an eye on the MIL. It'll blow white smoke (steam) for a while if it starts, so don't worry about that. It's just vaporizing all the remaining water inside the engine.

On the bonus side, this will steam clean the inside of the engine for a sparkling new look.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by acuranewbie
You guys are harsh, sure he made a mistake by driving into the puddle but how about just giving him advice on what to do rather than imply that he was stupid? I don't think that's the sort of information he was looking for when he posted this thread
You know, I did that but somehow I doubt he will know what to do. The fact that he tried to start it after the engine seized doesn't exactly instill confidence in us regarding his knowledge of cars.

I did provide some info on what to do, but I think he's better off getting it towed to the dealership or a shop somewhere.

Old 01-03-2006, 03:37 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by acuranewbie
Hmmm...I think I need to work on my posting style. This is the second time in a week I've been quoted in a thread calling me harsh when there are several other more harsh comments than mine. Hell, this is just me responding to the guy saying he had no choice but to drown his car. Look at my first post in this thread. I was hardly "harsh" and I even admitted my own stupidity at posting before reading the entire thread.

I didn't mean to sound harsh and I apologize for any offense.

Regarding the topic, would his TL really be totaled? In other words, does repairing or replacing a destroyed engine cost more than the replacement cost of the entire car? I'd think the repair would be less than $10k, but the car's replacement value is higher than that. It seems to me the insurance company would pay to repair the car, but not total it.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:54 PM
I have Lucy tied up in

At least you're not this guy, he's on the RL forum which I check out from time to time because I like the car. Even though it was not really his fault at least your car isn't like this.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747
Old 01-03-2006, 04:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

looks like i'll be waiting (and for undoubtedly a while) for the comptech icebox.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Wow
Old 01-03-2006, 06:01 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by demolition_x
i would get the car towed to your house and change the intake...

better to leave them thinking than a dead giveaway

Oh yeah, that's a great idea! No one should ever have to take responsibility for their actions. Let the company pay for it. They got the big bucks. We can just keep on being dumbasses and blame it on someone else. Brilliant. Please change your nick to EINSTEIN.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
You're probably SOL. You might as well get the engine rebuilt or get rid of the car. It's not gonna be cheap and I wouldn't expect any sympathy here. Good luck with what you decide.
Old 01-03-2006, 06:36 PM
Automobile Aficionado

If the dealer wont cover under warranty...Take your car home and FILE AN INSURANCE CLAIM. May be covered under your automobile insurance policy. Water damage. Dont listen to all these guys on the forum giving you a hard time. It was an honest mistake if you didnt know that your intake meant you couldnt drive through puddles. Keep your head up and think smartly about fixing your problem.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Twenties
If the dealer wont cover under warranty...Take your car home and FILE AN INSURANCE CLAIM. May be covered under your automobile insurance policy. Water damage. Dont listen to all these guys on the forum giving you a hard time. It was an honest mistake if you didnt know that your intake meant you couldnt drive through puddles. Keep your head up and think smartly about fixing your problem.
Yea it really is an easy mistake, I have heard of tons of people doing this in accords. As said earlier you probably would have been ok if u didn't try to restart it. But shit happens and learn from your mistakes. As twenties said file an insurance claim and this should work its self out
Old 01-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
isn't that too old of an age? im basically 18 (turn 18 in 2 weeks YAY!!) so in 5 years i can't see myself owning a beater......everybodies different...but i was just going off of things over here on the east coast....
I am 17 and have a beater, then again i don't drive a TL and both my cars combined value is much less than 10K
Old 01-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Racer

Hey, how about a little compassion. Sure the guy is a moron, an idiot, an imbecile, a fool, a retard, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't help him.

There are two ways to go about getting the water out of the system.

1) Plug up one exhaust tip and suck on the other. Move the plug to the opposite exhaust tip and repeat.

2) Get a long straw, slide it up the exhaust pipes and suck until all the water is gone. Don't swallow!
Old 01-03-2006, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
2) Get a long straw, slide it up the exhaust pipes and suck until all the water is gone. Don't swallow!

Old 01-03-2006, 08:16 PM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

Old 01-03-2006, 08:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trancemission
Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
wow, theres hella people on here talkin shit. no need to make fun of the guy. sheesh. who are you to kick somebody while they're down. especially another TL owner. I remember what this site was like before it got too mainstream. people felt a brotherhood with other people on this site. helped each other out and gave each other advice. honest opinions on products to be bought or not. never was there shit talking on another member. everyone here learned what they know now about cars... or did you geniuses already forget and think you were born knowing
Old 01-03-2006, 08:47 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
oh, btw, to suck up water in the intake, you would need to drive thorugh a puddle that would be high enough so that the water can come inside you car, above the side skirts. unless you drive through a dip. im just talking about level ground.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Originally Posted by ayethetiense
wow, theres hella people on here talkin shit. no need to make fun of the guy. sheesh. who are you to kick somebody while they're down. especially another TL owner. I remember what this site was like before it got too mainstream. people felt a brotherhood with other people on this site. helped each other out and gave each other advice. honest opinions on products to be bought or not. never was there shit talking on another member. everyone here learned what they know now about cars... or did you geniuses already forget and think you were born knowing
Theres still a brotherhood here ayethetiense. There is always going to be the good and the bad when it comes to something like this. People gave him good advice and some people gave him some crazy ass advice. What did you expect people to say to this guy? I mean I do feel sorry for him. If he were in Dallas I guarantee you that I would help him work on it to see if we could salvage it...
Old 01-03-2006, 09:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Thinking outside the box for a minute here...

This is clearly grandma's fault. Get her to pay.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:11 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

[QUOTE=JohnDoe2]Hey, how about a little compassion. Sure the guy is a moron, an idiot, an imbecile, a fool, a retard, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't help him.

There are two ways to go about getting the water out of the system.

1) Plug up one exhaust tip and suck on the other. Move the plug to the opposite exhaust tip and repeat.

sounds like your a pro at this, come over and show how its done CHAMP..
Old 01-03-2006, 09:20 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

I take no offense to all the caca mouths stomping on me while im a clearly down. . . it is actually funny hearing what they have to say and how they say it. I do feel like an ass cuz this happend to me, but then again i had no idea that this could happen. first time COA owner and for 5 months at that. none of my friends have COA... so like i said before LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY. and now i know. . . oh yeah the T.L is at acura now... Ill let you ALL know what they tell me.....
Old 01-03-2006, 09:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Jon> You're not an ass. Rookie mistake is what I'd chalk it up to. Yes, it's a costly lesson, but that's just life. And remember, all this happened while you were doing something noble: you were on your way to pick up your mom who, otherwise, would have been stuck there for who knows how long. Kudos.

Good luck, and I hope you get a favourable reply from the dealership.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Instructor

Happened to me also :-(

This happened to me in Florida a few years ago. If you need some input please PM me anytime.

The short story:
Bent the whole lower part of the motor.
Charged over $4600 parts/labor/tax. Short block assembly was $2688.79 alone. Plus $400 more in parts and $1354 in labor. Please don't flame over the cost. I have the invoice to prove it.

Depending on how many miles you have. The insurance company will LOOK AROUND for a "LIKE KIND QUALITY" or "LKQ" motor/block/heads. Meaning same mileage/year/etc/etc or better. and then install it. I had to pay $1400 out of pocket because of my $500 deductable PLUS a betterment. This was for a 2000 GS-R too. $900 because they could NOT find a "LKQ" motor, so they put in brand new parts. Motor only had 29000 miles.

Please feel free to contact me.
miiipilot
Old 01-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Empire of The Sun

This is the MAIN reason why I went with the short ram Weapon R Intake!!!! NOT worth the RISK to go with the CAI in Southern CALI.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:11 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by bklynpanman
CAI's aren't for idiots.. you see a big puddle or standing water like that, you don't go through it.. your fault bro..

Well, its not like he drove through a river or a huge bank of water, and plus, from what I hear from THIS forum, I was thinking about getting the Injen CAI, and almost everyone gave me a response or an assumption that puddles should be ok to drive through. LESSON = Although forums can provide information and different perspectives, you still have to use your own judgement and obtain the best or correct information!

Quick Reply: :( my t.l DROWNED today....