Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:( my t.l DROWNED today....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 02:17 AM
Team NightHawk VP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ayethetiense
wow, theres hella people on here talkin shit. no need to make fun of the guy. sheesh. who are you to kick somebody while they're down. especially another TL owner. I remember what this site was like before it got too mainstream. people felt a brotherhood with other people on this site. helped each other out and gave each other advice. honest opinions on products to be bought or not. never was there shit talking on another member. everyone here learned what they know now about cars... or did you geniuses already forget and think you were born knowing
i cant agree more with you, whats one of the reasons i really stopped posting, you cant really get any help without being bashed or someone making fun of you.
glad someone else feels the same way i do
Old 01-04-2006, 04:58 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

Gone but not forgoten . i wont give up hope will hear from acura in the morn
Old 01-04-2006, 09:46 AM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's a nice-looking ride. As I mentioned before, I doubt it's totaled. It may cost you a chunk out-of-pocket, but not as much as a new car, especially considering the money you've already put into this one in custom accessories. Good luck with the dealer and your insurance company.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jonmendo82
I take no offense to all the caca mouths stomping on me while im a clearly down. . . it is actually funny hearing what they have to say and how they say it. I do feel like an ass cuz this happend to me, but then again i had no idea that this could happen. first time COA owner and for 5 months at that. none of my friends have COA... so like i said before LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY. and now i know. . . oh yeah the T.L is at acura now... Ill let you ALL know what they tell me.....

COA = ??? Cruzing on Acura maybe.....

CAI = Cold Air Intake
Old 01-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Intermediate

Sorry to hear about your lose. When you installed your air intake system did the salesmen ever offer you a water valve system to be placed on the intake pipe. My previous vehicle was a 2000 Acura TL and i placed a Injen intake complete with a water valve straight from Acura. They supplied it from Comptech with a AEM water valve & installed it for me ( my brother also works in service for them so i get the hook up). Since it was installed by the dealer they warrentied it for me.

The point to the story is that one night on a rainy night roads around my town were completely flooded. I was on Route 17 in New Jersey and came to an off ramp and ran into about 3 or 4 feet of water. Car died right there and water was half way up the door. waited about 20 mins and tried to start the car and after a couple cranks kicked over and drove right out of the flood. The water valve saved my car.

The valve works by closing the lower part of the pipe when it takes in water and breaths from the engine compartment. You should look into it for future reference. The Injen pipe needed to be cut and customized in order for the water valve to fit.

2004 Acura TL
Old 01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
Instructor

Damages have to total 75% of vehicle cost to be totaled

worst case, new engine
less than 10k
Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by AcuraTL10
Sorry to hear about your lose. When you installed your air intake system did the salesmen ever offer you a water valve system to be placed on the intake pipe. My previous vehicle was a 2000 Acura TL and i placed a Injen intake complete with a water valve straight from Acura. They supplied it from Comptech with a AEM water valve & installed it for me ( my brother also works in service for them so i get the hook up). Since it was installed by the dealer they warrentied it for me.

The point to the story is that one night on a rainy night roads around my town were completely flooded. I was on Route 17 in New Jersey and came to an off ramp and ran into about 3 or 4 feet of water. Car died right there and water was half way up the door. waited about 20 mins and tried to start the car and after a couple cranks kicked over and drove right out of the flood. The water valve saved my car.

The valve works by closing the lower part of the pipe when it takes in water and breaths from the engine compartment. You should look into it for future reference. The Injen pipe needed to be cut and customized in order for the water valve to fit.

2004 Acura TL
BPV don't fit on 04 (no room). like you said. probably need to be custom fitted (cut pipe).
Old 01-04-2006, 12:28 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

Originally Posted by mamboking
COA = ??? Cruzing on Acura maybe.....

CAI = Cold Air Intake

well shit see what you getfor not looking over what you write. but in my other post you will see that i put CAI... not coa . . . my bad
Old 01-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

I take no offense to all the caca mouths stomping on me while im a clearly down. . . it is actually funny hearing what they have to say and how they say it. I do feel like an ass cuz this happend to me, but then again i had no idea that this could happen. first time COA owner and for 5 months at that. none of my friends have COA... so like i said before LESSON LEARNED THE HARD WAY. and now i know. . . oh yeah the T.L is at acura now... Ill let you ALL know what they tell me.....
damn, this sucks
stay up bro with any luck you'll be in a new tl in no time
Old 01-04-2006, 12:33 PM
99 SSM Tl

Originally Posted by ACURATECHTX
Damages have to total 75% of vehicle cost to be totaled

worst case, new engine
less than 10k

Its depend on your assurance company .. i think its between 50% and 75% ..
Let us updated about whats hapenning
Old 01-04-2006, 12:33 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

This puddle i went into was about 6 inches of fast moving h20 and about 3 feet long.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:08 PM
Racer

Put this in your TL!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Acura...25277204QQrdZ1

I know it probably won't work, but 3.5L motor in the TL.......
Old 01-04-2006, 07:40 PM
Racer

This puddle i went into was about 6 inches of fast moving h20 and about 3 feet long.
I am not looking to pour salt into your wounds. However, for the sake of letting others learn from your misfortune, how fast do you think you were traveling when you hit the 3-foot wide 6" deep small stream?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:31 PM
Racer

I take no offense to all the caca mouths stomping on me while im a clearly down. . . it is actually funny hearing what they have to say and how they say it.
It's all meant in fun and it's great you get the humor.

Why be down? If this is the worst thing that's ever happened to you, you should be happy.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnDoe2
It's all meant in fun and it's great you get the humor.

Why be down? If this is the worst thing that's ever happened to you, you should be happy.
That makes sense in a way......there are a lot worse things in life.
Old 01-04-2006, 10:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by KenUA6
http://www.injen.com/7030_hydro.html
do u think this will work cuz i have this hydro shield on my AEM and i cut the plastic out so i can let more air to get in the cai so is that ok?? cuz i really carer
i am not sure if anyone addressed this yet but this shield will not work if it is completed submerged in water... because not matter what it will still pick up water... and if you did cut a hole into i it, it kind of defeats the purpose of having it covered..
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro

I'm just in to see what Acura is gonna say. Good Luck to ya.
Old 01-04-2006, 11:19 PM
Team NightHawk VP

when i approach puddles i cant avoid, i cruise thru it, becuse the car doesnt suck in as much air when you are not accelerating(duh). im not sure if it would have helped in your case though
Old 01-05-2006, 05:56 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

was going under 10. trying to be aprox prob bout 5-7 , I dont drive fast in the rain for obvious reasons and on top of that was turning onto a res. street.

and this is the worst thing to happen to me, vehicle wise. .
Old 01-05-2006, 05:58 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

was going under 10. trying to be aprox prob bout 5-7 , I dont drive fast in the rain for obvious reasons and on top of that was turning onto a res. street.
and this is the worst thing to happen to me, vehicle wise
Old 01-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Instructor

I saved 2 hydrolocked T Ls this year you might be ok
Old 01-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Racer

Okay, let's see how many people I can offend here, and possibly even get my account revoked!

First off - jon, I am truly sorry for the trouble you are going through now. If anything, it points out something I've been thinking about for a while.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of early-20 somethings on this Board. How guys that young can afford a 30K+ car would be an interesting question to ask. To the guys that are out there working their tails off to pay there note, I have nothing but the greatest respect for you.

However, one would have to assume that someone else bought their cars for them. If so, more power to them. But it might also explain some of the immature ignorance that goes with a number of the problems people have. Whether it be the bitching and whining about a rattle or being inconvenienced for having to take the car in for service (Acura service is light years ahead of any other makes' service I have ever experienced in the 30+ years I've owned cars), some of you guys come off like spolied brats. Get a life.

Back in the Dark Ages, it took two weeks just to get simple parts for a Civic. There were hardly any stand-alone dealers. Try finding an oil filter on a weekend - good luck! (Yea, I I used to have to walk ten miles to school through five feet of snow, blah, blah, blah).

I guess what really pisses me off is the idea that you (as being proposed by others) are some kind of victim and that maybe the problem can be passed off on Acura. Ever heard of the term fraud? Who do you think ultimately pays for warranty costs? Those of us that actually pay for our cars. Do people ever take responsibility for their actions anymore? Shame on you guys.

Spending money on mods is fun, I did it too. Just keep in mind that it's a car. Probably 90% of the money you put into aftermarket accessories will never be recouped. That's okay if it increases your driving enjoyment. You don't have to justify to anyone what you spend on your car.

That being said, keep in mind that Acura designed the TL to perform over the long haul in all types of conditions (excluding submarine duty!). I would assume there are reasons they didn't include CAI and the other mods in the standard package, or offer a factory model (as opposed to dealer installed) with the mods. I don't ee the value in spending $100's on a 5 hp gain, but to each his own.

jon, take it as a learning experience and move on. To all the guys I just offended, step back and reflect on what you have - a great car that is never going to be perfect. It could be a whole lot worse, you could be driving a Kia.

I'll go back to my rocking chair now, the medication is starting to kick in! Snooooz!

gurney
Old 01-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
haha nice gurney, but I would say try the AEM CAI before you knock it. I dont care what tehy say the HP gain is. I noticed a huge difference..
Old 01-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Racer

trance:

I'm not knocking the CAI or any other mod. To each his own.

I just wonder how many guys get wrapped-up in the "keeping up with the joneses" syndrome when spending money on their cars. When it comes time to sell, what do they get back on their investment?

Sorry, I'm a CPA, CFO of my Company and Financial Advisor. It's a curse.

gurney
Old 01-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
yeah that is funny, Ive heard people actually use the term ROI when referring to cars.

My car and this site are my hobby, thats what I chaulk it up to.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by trancemission

My car and this site are my hobby, thats what I chaulk it up to.
Nothing wrong with that! My point exactly. It's a hobby, not life and death.

gurney
Old 01-05-2006, 03:23 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I don't know...Jon's car died

Sorry, couldn't resist...
Old 01-05-2006, 03:38 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Okay, let's see how many people I can offend here, and possibly even get my account revoked!

First off - jon, I am truly sorry for the trouble you are going through now. If anything, it points out something I've been thinking about for a while.

There seems to be an inordinate amount of early-20 somethings on this Board. How guys that young can afford a 30K+ car would be an interesting question to ask. To the guys that are out there working their tails off to pay there note, I have nothing but the greatest respect for you.

However, one would have to assume that someone else bought their cars for them. If so, more power to them. But it might also explain some of the immature ignorance that goes with a number of the problems people have. Whether it be the bitching and whining about a rattle or being inconvenienced for having to take the car in for service (Acura service is light years ahead of any other makes' service I have ever experienced in the 30+ years I've owned cars), some of you guys come off like spolied brats. Get a life.

Back in the Dark Ages, it took two weeks just to get simple parts for a Civic. There were hardly any stand-alone dealers. Try finding an oil filter on a weekend - good luck! (Yea, I I used to have to walk ten miles to school through five feet of snow, blah, blah, blah).

I guess what really pisses me off is the idea that you (as being proposed by others) are some kind of victim and that maybe the problem can be passed off on Acura. Ever heard of the term fraud? Who do you think ultimately pays for warranty costs? Those of us that actually pay for our cars. Do people ever take responsibility for their actions anymore? Shame on you guys.

Spending money on mods is fun, I did it too. Just keep in mind that it's a car. Probably 90% of the money you put into aftermarket accessories will never be recouped. That's okay if it increases your driving enjoyment. You don't have to justify to anyone what you spend on your car.

That being said, keep in mind that Acura designed the TL to perform over the long haul in all types of conditions (excluding submarine duty!). I would assume there are reasons they didn't include CAI and the other mods in the standard package, or offer a factory model (as opposed to dealer installed) with the mods. I don't ee the value in spending $100's on a 5 hp gain, but to each his own.

jon, take it as a learning experience and move on. To all the guys I just offended, step back and reflect on what you have - a great car that is never going to be perfect. It could be a whole lot worse, you could be driving a Kia.

I'll go back to my rocking chair now, the medication is starting to kick in! Snooooz!

gurney
You have not made me mad at all as far as other people cant speek for them, but to answer your questions
First off the i know that i am 23 and this is a 30k+ car but i am a sound. and comm. tech. for kaiser permanente so i can afford a car like this.
2nd well 2 wasnt a question more like a statement, but as you can clearly see in my other post, i take FULL BLAME for what happend to my ride. i can on here to find out what happend to my car, how can i fix it. or what should i do.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:46 PM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

Wow never thought that i would get this much feed back or start get bashed on (maybe a lilttle bashed). But all i have is the rims my system (with stock sterio) and my intake. To top it off didnt put my intake on for a 3 to 5 jump in H.P at the wheels, Put it on for sound. i have no other mods and was not going to put any other mods. That is all i wanted.
Old 01-05-2006, 04:47 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

...as you can clearly see in my other post, i take FULL BLAME for what happend to my ride.
I think he, and maybe some others, were reacting to your wondering if the damage would be covered under some kind of warranty.

Have you heard anything from the shop, yet?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:43 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There seems to be an inordinate amount of early-20 somethings on this Board. How guys that young can afford a 30K+ car would be an interesting question to ask.
<
trance:

I'm not knocking the CAI or any other mod. To each his own.

I just wonder how many guys get wrapped-up in the "keeping up with the joneses" syndrome when spending money on their cars. When it comes time to sell, what do they get back on their investment?

Sorry, I'm a CPA, CFO of my Company and Financial Advisor. It's a curse.

gurney
a little kid here?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:49 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You have not made me mad at all as far as other people cant speek for them, but to answer your questions
First off the i know that i am 23 and this is a 30k+ car but i am a sound. and comm. tech. for kaiser permanente so i can afford a car like this.
2nd well 2 wasnt a question more like a statement, but as you can clearly see in my other post, i take FULL BLAME for what happend to my ride. i can on here to find out what happend to my car, how can i fix it. or what should i do.
The reason why I said that guy is a little kid is because he doesn't even know how much a 23 year "kid" can earn in this century...
Old 01-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Shift_faster

^ I felt that I should respond to this. I am also younger than the crowd that the TL is directed to. I also know that currently although I can afford the TL, I would not be able to...had I had to pay a mortgage, have extraordinary vacations, get married etc.

I willingly choose to spend x amount of my budget on my car, because it is my hobby. That doesn't mean that because I am a 23 years old, and I drive a TL that I am extremely successful. That just means my priorities are different (some may say dumber too). Hell I too am I CPA that can overlook certain financial rules in order to enjoy life a little. Everyone has vices and this is mine.

I actually agree with many of gurneyeagle's points. In addition I thank you for them. It is refreshing to read an intelligent, well-thought out post nowadays.

Back to the subject at hand:

I do feel bad that your engine hydrolocked. I hope that the car is repairable for a "reasonable" amount. Please keep us updated on what happens.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Advanced

You have 2 moms?
Old 01-05-2006, 08:02 PM
Pro

could you take a pic of the filter, like put your camera under the car to take a pic..... i wonder if the filter on the CAI was damaged

EDIT: oh srry, my bad i forgot you already turned the car in.....
Old 01-05-2006, 08:27 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Dude, check ebay...they were selling a full motor assembly out of a TL that was totalled during a test drive that might be worth looking into. They were also selling the transmission (same seller on both). I think it may have been a dealer too....do a search on ebay for either the motor or transmission and if the motor isnt listed...call or email em. I think the motor was about $2300 or something like that? Possible solution? I have seen them posted several times this past year.....both of em...no bidders/buyers ever.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Racer

Post Acura does not condone Cold Air Intake Systems

Neither should your Acura dealership.

http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B050400.PDF
Old 01-05-2006, 08:56 PM
2004 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi/RSB

Originally Posted by A_UFO

That's a useful document! Thanks for posting that. I'm gonna make sure I don't get that leak under the back seat like they describe there.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:18 PM
tTLiang

Originally Posted by A_UFO

not all filters are the same. Injen users watch out!!!

check this out. i think AEM dryflow is really good. i'd say they are as good as stock paper filter if not better.

http://www.aempower.com/dryflow/filtration-graph-SC.jpg
Old 01-05-2006, 11:41 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ttliang
not all filters are the same. Injen users watch out!!!

check this out. i think AEM dryflow is really good. i'd say they are as good as stock paper filter if not better.

http://www.aempower.com/dryflow/filtration-graph-SC.jpg
is that how much air comes through or how much dust it catches?

Quick Reply: :( my t.l DROWNED today....