Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

:( my t.l DROWNED today....

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:47 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
:( my t.l DROWNED today....

A sad day for me today, was going to pick my moms up today at grandmas house and there was a puddle on highland that was just crazy. i wasnt going to go threw it but seen other car get by just fine so i did it .. what a asshole didnt think bout my intake till my car shut down as soon as i got to the other side.. i let it sit for two hours a nothing. now it will get towed to acura of riverside to the bone yard.. BLASTED injen c.o.a. NOW does anybody know what it might be beside h2o in the engin? starter?? alternater? most inportant is that covered?? ciabatta peace out
Old 01-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i can promise you....depending on ur damage....that it won't be covered....this is one of those things that u kick urself in the ass for.....if they can prove the injen intake sucked up water into the engine...your screwed
Old 01-03-2006, 12:50 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

You hydrolocked the engine. And why should Acura pay for that?

Make an insurance claim.. I'm not sure that kind of damage is easy to fix.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:54 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmendo82
A sad day for me today, was going to pick my moms up today at grandmas house and there was a puddle on highland that was just crazy. i wasnt going to go threw it but seen other car get by just fine so i did it .. what a asshole didnt think bout my intake till my car shut down as soon as i got to the other side.. i let it sit for two hours a nothing. now it will get towed to acura of riverside to the bone yard.. BLASTED injen c.o.a. NOW does anybody know what it might be beside h2o in the engin? starter?? alternater? most inportant is that covered?? ciabatta peace out
Old 01-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Agean Blue Bishes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would get the car towed to your house and change the intake...

better to leave them thinking than a dead giveaway
Old 01-03-2006, 12:58 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

They're gonna know either way. Acura techs aren't especially bright but they're gonna take one look at his car and if any of them have ever heard of intakes then they're going to know.

New engine?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:00 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

O.K acura told me to get an injen intake and have them install it and it would be covered.. does that mean that they would cover it and what happens??? does anybody know a way around this to get them to fix my beef????
Old 01-03-2006, 01:02 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

Pardon to post in the TL forum as a TSX owner, but also sorry to hear about your TL! A new 2005 one at that! I have 2005 TSX, and I live in Seattle where it rains almost everyday! Have you thought about the COMPTECH Icebox? I dont think theres the risk of hydrolocking with the icebox which is why I opted not to get the Injen CAI. Good luck with the recovery of your TL. What does it sound and feel like when the engine hydrolocks?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:04 AM
05 C230K & 09 135i 6MT

I don't think Acura meant that they'd cover you for damage. That's like saying they'd cover you if you wrecked it. Maybe they meant on defects?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

O.K acura told me to get an injen intake and have them install it and it would be covered.. does that mean that they would cover it and what happens??? does anybody know a way around this to get them to fix my beef????
its not covered under warranty....you basically caused the damage....you are screwed....there ACTUALLY is no way out of it...if you go to the dealership and be like...BLAH BLAH BLAH YOU TOLD ME TO INSTALL IT BLAH BLAH BLAH theyll come up with some excuse and say they took extra precautions to prevent these things....best bet would be to do what demolition said because that will atleast give u the chance to say u basically ran through a HUMUNGOUS PUDDLE then your car hydrolocked....you'll atleast have a case.

and even if they know that an intake caused it....they can't do anything because they need to prove it...ill see if i can find the law...but theres a specific law about this type of thing that says aftermarket parts can't cause any damage unless PROVEN that they did the damage...without the intake to prove the damage was done...then there is no case

edit:
im not bashing...i feel bad...id feel like shit if this happened to me...good luck with whatever happens!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:07 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

Originally Posted by xenonhid
Pardon to post in the TL forum as a TSX owner, but also sorry to hear about your TL! A new 2005 one at that! I have 2005 TSX, and I live in Seattle where it rains almost everyday! Have you thought about the COMPTECH Icebox? I dont think theres the risk of hydrolocking with the icebox which is why I opted not to get the Injen CAI. Good luck with the recovery of your TL. What does it sound and feel like when the engine hydrolocks?

FEELZ LIKE SHIT.... was clicking for a bit when you try to start it ( like the starter was the beef) but now you hear no click and when you start the car ( try to start the car) dash lights dim out and nothing more... keep in mind i took my batterie to get charged when i took it in it said bad batterie. got it charged and still nathan
Old 01-03-2006, 01:07 AM
mio
Police

the INJEN cai is lower than AEM or what?

I think the AEM filter location is pretty high, or that puddle must be very deep.
Old 01-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by mio
the INJEN cai is lower than AEM or what?

I think the AEM filter location is pretty high, that puddle must be very deep.
the AEM sits a little above the front wheel.....im pretty sure the INJEN filter can be seen from the lower grill on the left...so im pretty sure it sits lower than the AEM
Old 01-03-2006, 01:10 AM
now with 7 gears

Dude, what were you thinking? Back when I had an injen cai, I just left the car at home during any moderately rainy day and took the beater. With all the recent downpours and floods in CA, you were pretty much asking for it.

Anyways, best of luck when you try to work things out with the dealership or insurance...
Old 01-03-2006, 01:13 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

it is pretty low. you cant see it when you open thood, just see the pipe, to get to it you have to take off the front left tire, so you can imagin how low it sits..... thanks to ALL didnt want to hear the sad truth but i knew thats what it was.. only had my shit for 5 month to.. 22,000 miles on it......
Old 01-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by Viscous
Dude, what were you thinking? Back when I had an injen cai, I just left the car at home during any moderately rainy day and took the beater. With all the recent downpours and floods in CA, you were pretty much asking for it.

Anyways, best of luck when you try to work things out with the dealership or insurance...

correct me if im wrong...but i don't think any 23 year olds have a NEW tl AND a beater to drive

im 17 and i feel lucky as balls to own a TL
Old 01-03-2006, 01:16 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

well i was thinking that moms wanted to get picked up. and i have no other car... now my t.l is dead
Old 01-03-2006, 01:17 AM
mio
Police

Originally Posted by NFLblitze1
correct me if im wrong...but i don't think any 23 year olds have a NEW tl AND a beater to drive

im 17 and i feel lucky as balls to own a TL
why not?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:18 AM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
no intake for me

and good luck with your situation, keep us updated!
Old 01-03-2006, 01:18 AM
mio
Police

well i was thinking that moms wanted to get picked up. and i have no other car... now my t.l is dead
urs is the first 3rd gen TL got hydrolocked, can it be fixed? or totaled?
Old 01-03-2006, 01:20 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by mio
why not?
isn't that too old of an age? im basically 18 (turn 18 in 2 weeks YAY!!) so in 5 years i can't see myself owning a beater......everybodies different...but i was just going off of things over here on the east coast....
Old 01-03-2006, 01:22 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

TO ALL MY FELLOW PEOPLE OUT THERE TAKE ME AS A LESSON TO BE LEARNED ....DAMN THE RAIN..( or big puddles with an injen c.o.a) will let all you know what happend when i get back fron acura... ( only 5 months old )
Old 01-03-2006, 01:22 AM
Youse Gots Sacked

Originally Posted by mio
urs is the first 3rd gen TL got hydrolocked, can it be fixed? or totaled?
most likely the car might be totalled....but depending on the mileage sometimes if the engine is in good enough condition they can continuosly flush the engine and let it dry and flush....various steps like that....replacing certain parts....because some parts might be damaged depending on how fast u were driving when it happened and how long u kept going and pushing the car....but most likely its totalled...but if it was me id hope it got totalled because i wouldn't want to drive around in a car that got hydro locked...psychologically it wouldn't feel right
Old 01-03-2006, 01:48 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

I put up pics of my car in the photogallary. if you all want to c my baby. .
Old 01-03-2006, 08:27 AM
Instructor

I thought about getting a CAI through Acura figuring it would be covered under warranty, especially in a situation you're having. I had brought my car in for an A1 service and asked the techs about it, how much it cost, if it was covered. They told me that if they installed it, it was covered under warranty with the exception of water intake. He told me that even if you get water into your engine with OEM intake, (no mods ex. CAI) it's still not covered. I decided a CAI wasn't worth the trouble. My friend had an Accord w/CAI and hydrolocked his engine. They had to do 9 oil changes and somehow flush out the engine. He said it was spraying H20 out of the tail pipes. They did get the car running again.......the next day he traded it in for an Altima SE-R.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:48 AM
321 whp SAE

CAI's aren't for idiots.. you see a big puddle or standing water like that, you don't go through it.. your fault bro..
Old 01-03-2006, 09:08 AM
Burning Brakes

What usualy happens is water gets sucked into the air intake, into the engine, and since you can not compress water, the rods bend, and the entire engine is ruined.
My sister did that to her taurus last year, a big truck swamped her, and I went to the AAA place, they had all the plugs out, and put a breaker bar on the crankshaft and could not move it, bent rods...
Allstate gave her an insane amount of money for her car though, like $8000.00 for an old taurus, and she went out and got an accord V6!

Brett
Old 01-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry about the mishap and I will have a flame suit on just incase

But mods like these are totally WORTHLESS! What do you get with a CAI? Maybe a 5 HP gain at the wheels? And what are you risking? Getting your car hydrolocked just like in this case everytime it Rains ? or any time you go through puddles?People talk about the growling sound that interest some but when you are driving, how well do you hear that sound? unless you are standing out side to hear it...

I mean it is a vehicle...a mode of transportation...if you have to look for alternatives (like taking a beater (if you have one) or not going through puddles...everytime you have rain, then whats the point !!!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

You would think they would develop a bypass value for the injen C.A.I , like aem does

Sorry bout your car dude, Good luck with everything
Old 01-03-2006, 09:49 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
dude all I can say is that you made the decision to drive through the puddle. dont start saying that acura said you should install it they will cover it. you just did the one thing all CAI owners have nightmares about doing. You took a chance and failed miserably.

and scrb let me just say one thing to you. the CAI does make a difference. Im glad that I have it. you have no idea how deep a puddle has to be in order for his to happen. Dont come on here and start flaming CAI owners..........

Ive driven my car through heavy rains all damn day. Doesnt matter if you have a CAI or not, you take a chance driving through puddles....
Old 01-03-2006, 10:25 AM
05 T.L (Titties Like)

sure i would have loved to take a different route to grandmas house but it wouldnt have made a diff. all 3 streets get fludded. this T.L is my first car always had trucks but had a baby a needed a car.. and im not on here"FLAMING CAI OWNERS". came on here to say what happend and see if anybody can tell me what was going on and i got plenty of great input ( thanks to all who responded) i should have been more aware of this being able to happen but wasnt, thats my fault for not knowing, but whats dont is done... time to take it to shop.. peace out
Old 01-03-2006, 10:27 AM
Cruisin'

What is "CAI" and what are the advantages vice disadvantages?
Old 01-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
and im not on here"FLAMING CAI OWNERS".

read my post again dude

I never said you were flaming CAI owners. scrb started going off on why people would own one.

I understand that you are probably freaking out right now about this, but I think you know as well as we all do that you are completely and totally liable for this. Im sorry that you had no other route, you rolled the dice and this is what you came up with..

even if I has a stock intake I would avoid deep puddles at all costs.

Im not sure what happens at this point, let us know what the dealer says...
Old 01-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Moderator Alumnus

FEELZ LIKE SHIT.... was clicking for a bit when you try to start it ( like the starter was the beef) but now you hear no click and when you start the car ( try to start the car) dash lights dim out and nothing more... keep in mind i took my batterie to get charged when i took it in it said bad batterie. got it charged and still nathan

All your constant attempts to start it is not helping at all. You should have just turned the car off and had it towed to your house or mechanic. I would have inspected everything and drained any water out. Also should have pulled the plugs to see if water got into the cylinders. Either way.....hope you saved for a rainy day No pun intended.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:39 AM
Racer

Good luck with getting your car fixed. I had an AEM CAI installed on my Prelude and it sat pretty low. That being said I was always terrified whenever it rained. I've had to turnaround and seek other routes to get to my destination when streets where "flooded"--even if they had shallow water (4" or so). I just got really paranoid about it and tried to avoid water at all costs.

I've since sold the Prelude and purchased the TL. I liked the sound of the intake when I had it but I'm not sure if it offset the anxiety I experienced when it rained. I also had to worry when my wife drove it that she didn't encounter any large "puddles".

Anywho...my condolences. Good luck!
Old 01-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
at this thread...

A careless CAI owner takes a gamble and loses, then tries to swing it on Acura. The said owner repeatedly tries to restart the car when it is hydrolocked. Then the flamers come on, of course.

3 of my friends have had water in their engines, and they all avoided a disaster because they responded quickly and appropriately. People without the proper knowledge of what to do in an emergency situation like this should not have such modifications.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:10 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Oh, one more thing. I don't know how fast the guy was going, but I'm hoping he was just rolling through the puddle. In that case, the engine could just be locked and unable to start. It doesn't necessarily mean it's fucked; just unable to start because of the water, in which case he can simply drain it out. So let's not all jump on the bandwagon and say "it's most likely totalled."

If he was being an idiot and ran through the puddle at high RPM, then it's fucked. Better luck next time.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it is pretty low. you cant see it when you open thood, just see the pipe, to get to it you have to take off the front left tire, so you can imagin how low it sits..... thanks to ALL didnt want to hear the sad truth but i knew thats what it was.. only had my shit for 5 month to.. 22,000 miles on it......
Old 01-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trancemission
read my post again dude
I never said you were flaming CAI owners. scrb started going off on why people would own one.

and scrb let me just say one thing to you. the CAI does make a difference. Im glad that I have it. you have no idea how deep a puddle has to be in order for his to happen. Dont come on here and start flaming CAI owners..........
I think you should read my post again.

I said that the CAI mod is not the best mod in my books. I think that is my opinion and I am entitled to it ! Just like you have yours (that CAI's are good).

Read the post again and tell me whether it makes sense or not that I never flamed any CAI owners, what I did was debate the Pros and Cons of having

Originally Posted by trancemission
Ive driven my car through heavy rains all damn day. Doesnt matter if you have a CAI or not, you take a chance driving through puddles....
But you are greatly increasing your chances of getting Hydrolocked Engine when you have a CAI v/s Stock. They do not have the same probability.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Team Nighthawk member

.. only had my shit for 5 month to.. 22,000 miles on it......
5 months old and 22,000 miles?!?! Anyway, sorry about the car...good luck.

Quick Reply: :( my t.l DROWNED today....