My Rear seats have come loose

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004 | 09:50 AM
Pro

My Rear seats have come loose

I had my car in for service back in June to have the center seat belt actuator replaced in the rear seats. The service people must have removed the seats to get at the actuator.

Now the rear seats are loose. They flap on the front side of the seat cushion. The whole bench just flaps. The rear side of the bench however is still secured. Would anyone know if this would be a time consuming thing to fix?

I called my dealer to take my car in and they told me that they don't have anything up until the 19th of this month available. I was like holy shite, I have to wait that long for a screw up that they did? So the guy said to bring it in tomorrow morning and they will take a look at it.

Can you guys let me know if it takes a long time to remove and replace the seats in the rear? I would like to be out of the dealers ASAP so I can get to work at a decent time.
Old 10-04-2004 | 10:20 AM
Shift_faster

It takes some time to put all the bolts for the rear seat. It is a weird design, and even my dealership had some problems with putting it back in when they replaced my rear seat. Still if all they have to do is put in the bolts, or replace any broken clips it should not take over a couple of hours (maximum) since they should know how to do it by now.

People who have installed suspensions themselves (it is accessed through the rear seat), have said that it is a pain in the ass. Good luck.
Old 10-04-2004 | 10:48 AM
Pro

Thanks for the reply PoochaKannInc.

So you really think it will take a couple hours to do? That blows. I don't understand how they couldn't have done it correctly the first time. I mean, aren't they *Trained Acura Technicians* ? When I took the car in back in june, the car was already out for like 9 months. Wouldn't they have figured that part out by then?

I mean if it can be done by do-it-yourselfers, I would figure the *trained technicians* would breeze through it. No?
Old 10-04-2004 | 10:55 AM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by HuKaShI
So you really think it will take a couple hours to do? That blows.
I think it should take *at most* a couple of hours. There are a couple of reasons why I say this:
1. They didn't do it right the first time, which to me means they either didn't know how to, or they were just so incompetent that they forgot.
2. Since they didn't know how to do it the first time, they are still not experts, and will need to refer to the service manual, figure it out, and then install it correctly.
3. If they forgot, they REALLY don't know what they are doing, and will have to learn it for the first time.

A couple of hours is still long, but I think it is unfortunately accurate. Anyone with any more experiences about this issue, please speak up...
Old 10-04-2004 | 11:16 AM
Team Nighthawk President

How about asking for a loaner so you get to work ontime?
Old 10-04-2004 | 11:42 AM
Cruisin'

there are only three tie points for the rear seat, two tabs and one bolt. if just the front is flapping then the tabs should be the only thing out. no tools required, just sit hard on the very front edge and they should catch. you can reach the t-shaped tabs just under the leather about in the middle of the seat. you pull them out to release the front of the seat, you may need a pair of needle nose pliers they're pretty tight and hard to grab.
The only bolt is on the passenger side, but that must be in if the whole seat isn't coming out. Thats the one thats a real pain.
someone can probably post the service manual photo, if not i can get it tonight when i get home.

of course this assumes that they didn't break the tabs.
Old 10-04-2004 | 12:38 PM
Instructor

Hey poocha, I was just curious, why did you have your rear seats replaced?
Old 10-04-2004 | 01:11 PM
Shift_faster

Originally Posted by whiteTL
http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83211

Still have not figured out what caused it, but it never happened again. I'm still keeping an eye on it. If anything changes I'll post about it again.

Sorry for the thread hijack Hukashi...

By the way nc_stealth is absolutely right about the clips (or tabs). Unfortunately they are easy to break as my dealer did so when they were replacing my seat.
Old 10-04-2004 | 01:11 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 1hottl
How about asking for a loaner so you get to work ontime?

I can't get a loaner since its not a scheduled appointment. He just said bring it in and he'll see if they can fix it quick. If not I'll have to sechedule an appointment and of course get a loaner. The reason I want this fixed ASAP is i frequently have rear passengers and I don't want them f*ing the rear seats up.
Old 10-04-2004 | 01:32 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by nc_stealth
there are only three tie points for the rear seat, two tabs and one bolt. if just the front is flapping then the tabs should be the only thing out. no tools required, just sit hard on the very front edge and they should catch. you can reach the t-shaped tabs just under the leather about in the middle of the seat. you pull them out to release the front of the seat, you may need a pair of needle nose pliers they're pretty tight and hard to grab.
The only bolt is on the passenger side, but that must be in if the whole seat isn't coming out. Thats the one thats a real pain.
someone can probably post the service manual photo, if not i can get it tonight when i get home.

of course this assumes that they didn't break the tabs.
Thanks for the info. So if I just sit on the rear seats hard, they should pop back into place? Should I risk further damaging it and just go plant my ass on the rear seats or should I just wait. I think I feel those things when I reach under the seat cushion.

Also, if you can get that photo from the manual, it would be much appreciated.
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by PoochaKannInc
Sorry for the thread hijack Hukashi...
Its all good!!!
Old 10-04-2004 | 02:44 PM
Instructor

That happened to my cousin's RSX. He took out a plug under the car to run his wires for his amp. After driving in the rain for a couple of days he noticed the floor mats got wet, and really smelt like crap.
Old 10-04-2004 | 05:46 PM
Cruisin'

I would just try this - you should be able to lift the seat to see if these are not clicked in.
Not worth the trouble to go to the dealer if its a quick fix. They probably think they broke them anyway, so you should be out anything.

here you go, hope this works-
http://images5.theimagehosting.com/rearseat.JPG
Old 10-04-2004 | 05:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by nc_stealth

here you go

Old 10-04-2004 | 06:20 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by whiteTL
I've had mine replaced but not for the same reason as poocha. After having my son and his friend along for a 1400 miles trip, the leather in the back ended up all stretched out (and they're not big guys at all). Dealer didn't argue for even a second. New 'skins' installed but I'm really not convinced they're any better. My driver's seat is stretching a fair amount and I only have about 4,000 miles on my car and weigh only 165 lbs.
Old 10-05-2004 | 09:35 AM
Pro

Thanks for the diagram. I figured out how the clips work thanks to that. I took my car in to the dealer this morning and the tech looked at the clips and said I needed new ones so he ordered them for me. They should be in tomorrow but I'll give them till thursday.

Thanks again nc stealth!
Old 10-10-2004 | 10:28 PM
Cruisin'

You need to have the dealer replace the plastic clips that hold down the bench in the front. I recently had new springs put in my TL which required the rear seat to be removed. They snapped both plastic clips. The said they would replace them for free but needed to order them.

Remember, the sqeaky wheels gets all the oil...