Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new car... a quick review

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
My new car... a quick review

A few days ago I traded in my '06 TSX 6-speed for a new '07 TL Type-S 6 speed. I've been having so much fun driving it around that I've failed to say anything about it until now. I'll also post some pics from the day I picked it up.

Forget any lackluster reviews you've read or watched... you really have to experience this car for yourself in order to discover what a truly wonderful machine it is.

The engine is so smooth and has so much twist down low that driving is an effortless exercise. However it doesn't overwhelm you--it is very tame and easy to control. The engine sounds great too. I've yet to take it over 4000 RPM and 1/3 throttle (waiting for it to "break in" a bit more), but even when operated like that it has a healthy rumble and up towards 4000 you can hear the intake begin to growl. I love the gear ratios, and 6th gear on the freeway is perfect for my tastes--about 2050 RPM at 60 MPH.

The suspension is quite firm but I don't find it harsh by any means--it has a refined performance-ish flavor that feels perhaps a bit more "damped" than my TSX. My TSX could feel borderline harsh and bouncy in some situations, but this TL is always planted and settled.

The steering seems to communicate a lot about how happy the front end is. Going down the road, the car feels reasonably heavy and stable, but if you flick it into a turn it will surprise you how gracefully it can shift its weight around. I thought I would miss the nimble tossable nature of the TSX, but this TL-S surprised me how well it can dance compared to its little brother.

The outward visibility is awesome, and the red lighting inside at night is beautiful and actually quite practical. The overhead LEDs cast a very tight beam of light on just the gear shift knob and the seat heater switches. The floorboards also receive a wash of red light. Every single button and switch is backlit in red, as is the clock/radio/climate display at the top of the dash.

Of course, no car is perfect and I've already noticed a few so-so points...

Activating the high beams just causes the shutter in the low beam "projector" to open, providing two round beams of nice blue-shifted white light. It works great for close distance stuff, but the beams are too diffused for long range illumination. I think I'd prefer some tight long-throw beams of light as well. The incandescent lamps used for the DRLs (ugh) would be perfect for this, but they aren't turned on with the high beams... and that seems sort of silly to me.

I'm a bit of an audio snob, and I don't think the sound system is all that great. It sounds "honky", like the speakers are in unpadded plastic boxes. Elliot Scheiner must've lost all of his 1khz to 4khz hearing at some point. The high frequencies have a bit of "glare" that I find fatiguing and there are some weird artifacts, as though the audio is going through some kind of data compression. After playing with the tone controls and the fader, I've got it where I can tolerate it... I was kind of hoping for more though.

The horn sounds like there's no low tone (the others were like this as well). For such a badass car, I'd expect something a bit more stout.

My car has the "high performance tires", which are Bridgestone Potenza RE030s I think... They seem to have a good amount of grip, but they are pretty loud. The active noise cancellation seems to keep them under control, but I can still hear them at times.

That gripe list is relatively minor and the brilliance of the car more than makes up for it. For the money, you really can't beat the TL-S. It has a quiet and roomy interior, a great chassis, and a top notch powertrain... I feel like a lot of heart went into its design and construction. I love it!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:25 AM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
Sounds like you're enjoying it . I felt the same exact way going from my 2g -> 3g.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:36 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"Forget any lackluster reviews you've read or watched... you really have to experience this car for yourself in order to discover what a truly wonderful machine it is. "

That really is an excellent way to express it. The overall driving experience is A+!

Congrats on your new car, I'm very happy to hear you love it as much as I love mine. Wait till you can finally mash the acellerator a few times. That will leave a smile on your face for hours!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:21 PM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Very well put, I read tons of review of the car before my initial purchase, I didn't believe a word they said till I test drove the entire line, I loved the RL but my pocket (NOT NOW IT YELLED)... the MDX was the shit but again my pocket (NOT NOW YELLED)... the TL TYPE S my legs yelled for the love of humanity even at low rpms I love you... the TSX had me not questioning is this really a 4cyl... but unquestionably the best bang for the buck is the TL TYPE S... for the features and performance it outpriced what toyota/lexus or nissan/infiniti could put out... of course I only stick to jap-stuff
Old 08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Acuras Only in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats ... and nice color choice ! Another NBP on board ... need I say more? LOL
Old 08-09-2007, 04:12 PM
Racer

Well written and informative. This will help me in making my decision - thanks!...... Doug
Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Congrats.

The AT with paddle shifter is quite a blast to drive as well.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:47 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by junktionfet
I'm a bit of an audio snob, and I don't think the sound system is all that great. It sounds "honky", like the speakers are in unpadded plastic boxes. Elliot Scheiner must've lost all of his 1khz to 4khz hearing at some point. The high frequencies have a bit of "glare" that I find fatiguing and there are some weird artifacts, as though the audio is going through some kind of data compression. After playing with the tone controls and the fader, I've got it where I can tolerate it... I was kind of hoping for more though.
Trying turning the bass and subwoofer to -2 and treble to +1. Someone on the forum tested the stock system with a sound meter, and our system is bass heavy, covering all the treble.

After doing that, I personally think my system sounds A LOT better, so I don't feel that bad when I hear my dad's Mark Levinson system on his RX or my friend's LOGIC7 system on his 335.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:08 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you really like your TLS. I'd love to trade my '04TL for a TL-S...but it's going to have to wait a few years. Who knows...by then...Acura might have AWD TL available.

I agree with your comments on the Audio System...I count myself in the audiophile crowd...and find the sound lacking. Elliot didn't loose his hearing...he just built the system to a "price point". It could be much better. Also, shortly after getting my 6mt TL, with the same tires you've got....I had a sidewall puncture that was not repairable. I didn't want to replace 1 tire at the 4600 mile point...so I just junked all of the RE-030's. Did manage to sell 3 though. I got Michelin PS-2's. All I can say is the car seemed like a new car....it took the handeling, ride, and noise level up several notches. They really "fit" the TL....awesome tires. BTW...the RE-030's actually cost more than the PS-2's. Bridgestone junk....I'm glad I had to get rid of them sooner than later.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:12 AM
Just dial 1911

Great review, I'm probably going to be picking up mine this weekend, makes me feel better about doing it now.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by junktionfet

Have you turned off the Dolby setting? I turned mine off and it made a world of difference listening to the XM radio and other 'plain old stereo' sources. The 'help' info on the screen suggests that the Dolby setting improves stereo material, but for me, it did the opposite. My biggest gripe so far is that you can't stay on that setup screen long enough to do good 'a/b' testing; the screen times out and takes you back to the audio screen each time, so you have to keep re-navigating the menus to get to it. But anyway, turning off Dolby made me much happier.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
congrats and thanks for the great write up! enjoy your new ride.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:24 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,017 Likes on 1,515 Posts
One thing I noticed is I thought my Bose system in my 2G TL was A LOT better than my 3G, only thing I really miss about it. But everything else, performance, handling .. I'll take the 3g hands down >.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Instructor

My 07 TL-S came with Michilen HVMX tires - I think they all do. This is an all season high performance tire. Check Tire Rack.