Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is My Leather Cracking?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Slicker Than Your Average

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Is My Leather Cracking?

I've had so much crap go wrong with my 2007 Acura TL that it's getting really annoying now! My moonroof motor had to be replaced, exhaust tip paint was peeling off, freakin' DCH Montclair Acura butchered my car when I took it in to get the previously mentioned problems fixed, I have the moonroof and driver's door rattles, one of the door's has a hole in it, the coat hook was put on backwards and upside down, and now my driver's seat leather seems to be cracking! What should I do about the leather? Will the dealer replace it? What about the rattles and the hole in my door?

Screw Acura! This is definitely my last Acura! I'm paying the car off at the end of this year and getting something else!
Old 07-13-2007, 11:36 AM
Gotta..

The leather looks not good...it doesnt suppose to crack in the new car,
and the tip...the dealer has to do sth about it!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 01:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
In reality these are small issues .. have them fix it .. and they should replace the leather no problem .. they replace the seat bottom on mine with less of an issue .. the door hole??? when did that happen or is it just a spot thier sealer missed?
Old 07-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
the leather on my 05 driver's seat did that too. dealer replaced it under warranty. when you find a flawless car w/ 100% no problems, please let us know.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:28 PM

There is no such thing as a perfect car, but a $37,000+ luxury vehicle shouldn't have these problems. My younger sister has a 2002 Nissan Altima and it has no rattles, no leather issues, no peeling paint issues, etc. How the hell does a luxury vehicle leave the factory with the coat hook on upside down and backwards? This is why Acura isn't at the level of Lexus, BMW, etc. It's all because of their cheap materials and poor quality control. I love how Acura vehicles look inside and out, but they really have to step their game up. Do you guys think that the dealer will give me a hard time about getting the leather replaced?
Old 07-13-2007, 10:50 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by S L I C K
There is no such thing as a perfect car, but a $37,000+ luxury vehicle shouldn't have these problems. .....
If there is no perfect car, then what problems *should* a $37,000+ luxury vehicle have?

Not trying to be an ass, but you can't have it both ways.

BTW - could the leather issue be the result of a scuff or scrap of some kind?
Old 07-13-2007, 11:09 PM
vienna va

my friend has a 2006 s550 benz and his car is worth much more then 37,000 and yet his onbord computer seems to fail after the 1 month he had it and what about the lemnon law
Old 07-13-2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
If there is no perfect car, then what problems *should* a $37,000+ luxury vehicle have?

Not trying to be an ass, but you can't have it both ways.

BTW - could the leather issue be the result of a scuff or scrap of some kind?
My older brother has had a Honda Accord, Lexus IS, Acura TL, and he now has a Lexus GS. My younger sister has a Nissan Altima and my older sister has a Lexus RX. My mom has a BMW X5 and my dad has a BMW 7 Series. I decided to buy the 2007 Acura TL over the 2007 Infiniti G35 and 2007 Lexus ES because I thought Acura had finally fixed a lot of their problems (leather issues, rattles, etc.) and I loved the look of the refreshed TL. The only car in my family that has these stupid problems is my 2007 Acura TL. My brother's 2005 Acura TL had annoying problems (leather issues, rattles, etc.) and that was why he got rid of it, but I thought Acura had fixed these issues for the 2007 MY. The leather cracking is not from a scuff mark because I don't keep anything in my pockets. There are also little spots where the leather has peeled off and you can see white spots. I love my car, but I don't have time to take it to the dealer for this kind of stuff.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Davan
The leather looks not good...it doesnt suppose to crack in the new car,
and the tip...the dealer has to do sth about it!!!
I have an 05, and my leather is fine.
Old 07-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Senior Moderator

My older brother has had a Honda Accord, Lexus IS, Acura TL, and he now has a Lexus GS. My younger sister has a Nissan Altima and my older sister has a Lexus RX. My mom has a BMW X5 and my dad has a BMW 7 Series. I decided to buy the 2007 Acura TL over the 2007 Infiniti G35 and 2007 Lexus ES because I thought Acura had finally fixed a lot of their problems (leather issues, rattles, etc.) and I loved the look of the refreshed TL. The only car in my family that has these stupid problems is my 2007 Acura TL. My brother's 2005 Acura TL had annoying problems (leather issues, rattles, etc.) and that was why he got rid of it, but I thought Acura had fixed these issues for the 2007 MY. The leather cracking is not from a scuff mark because I don't keep anything in my pockets. There are also little spots where the leather has peeled off and you can see white spots. I love my car, but I don't have time to take it to the dealer for this kind of stuff.
I can understand your frustration over having these annoying little problems. I do think the dealer will and should absolutely fix all of your problems under warranty. In the meantime, tell them to give you a loaner and don't take the car back until it's fixed to your satisfaction.

BTW, if you think "rattles & leather issues" are annoying in the TL, go to g35driver and clublexus and see some of the issues owners of the G35 and ES350 are facing.

I had a dead battery on my 05 early on and it was a PIA but Acura Roadside came to the rescue in under an hour and the dealer replaced the battery for free- no hassles no problems. Was it annoying? Sure it was. However, I'm not ready to throw stones. Now if my engine catches on fire and/or my tranny falls off while I'm tooling down the highway, then I would be livid and probably get rid of the car.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
no offense, but be glad that it is real leather in the car and not some cheap knockoff.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:28 AM
Instructor

if only the tl was made in japan, it would be better! american made cars suck ass! but i still love my tl! hope acura takes care of you. they fixed my subwoofer rattle and door rattle under warranty no problems! good luck.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:30 AM
FizzyStatus!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Armydog14
if only the tl was made in japan, it would be better! american made cars suck ass! but i still love my tl! hope acura takes care of you. they fixed my subwoofer rattle and door rattle under warranty no problems! good luck.
Haha totally agree, but my leather is horrible too, but no big deal, I'll go to the dealer and see what they can do. I agree with you, you've had alot of problems but atleast no mechanical ones. I bet you the TL won't ever give up on you and break down
Old 07-14-2007, 03:54 AM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it to the dealer, they should abide by the warranty of their product. We had similar problems on our 06, rattles, sagging headliner, incorrect installation from techs, etc. These undoubtedly were very annoying and inconvenient, but after many visits and loaners they were eventually resolved. We were very close to selling/trading our TL, but it's such a sweet ride aside from our cosmetic issues/inept grease monkeys.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Hopefully the dealer will fix this stuff without giving me a hard time. I just want to get them fixed and start enjoying my car like I did before I noticed these problems. Are there any DIY fixes for the moonroof rattle and the driver's door rattle (the rattle seems to be coming from the top of the driver's door)?
Old 07-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Hopefully the dealer will fix this stuff without giving me a hard time. I just want to get them fixed and start enjoying my car like I did before I noticed these problems. Are there any DIY fixes for the moonroof rattle and the driver's door rattle (the rattle seems to be coming from the top of the driver's door)?
here's a start:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...sunroof+rattle

Old 07-14-2007, 01:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
My car is 3 1/2 years old. When in for a complimentary check up (first time back except to get a tire replaced), I mentioned to the Service Writer than my center armrest had a "dent" in the padding.

He didn't blink and special ordered a replacement for me under warranty.

Our leather is especially soft/perforated. That is something you have to pay extra for (above standard leather) in a Mercedes or BMW. It is supposed to be pliable and conform to the shape of the driver for comfort.

But, all leather is painted with a special leather coloring medium. Our leather is also "thirsty" right out of the box. I use Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle" often. Like every other month. That keeps the leather soft and pliable. It also smells like a saddle shop. If you don't keep it treated, it will wrinkle sooner.... like all leather does.

I have seen pics of new Bentleys being road tested and they have wrinkled leather seats.

For many of us, this our first "luxury sport" car. We may be used to the durability of vinyl and "pleather" (fake). Leather is a different animal. Literally.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:54 PM
Race Director

How is that clip on backwards? If it was on the other way wouldnt everything fall off?
Old 07-14-2007, 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Trackruner228
How is that clip on backwards? If it was on the other way wouldnt everything fall off?
The hook should be facing up , instead of down towards the window like it is in the pic.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

The hook should be on the top of the grab handle facing the headliner.

At least, that's how mine is.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Our leather is also "thirsty" right out of the box. I use Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle" often. Like every other month. That keeps the leather soft and pliable. It also smells like a saddle shop. If you don't keep it treated, it will wrinkle sooner.... like all leather does.

I have seen pics of new Bentleys being road tested and they have wrinkled leather seats.

For many of us, this our first "luxury sport" car. We may be used to the durability of vinyl and "pleather" (fake). Leather is a different animal. Literally.
Is there anything besides Zaino that works?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by DeMAN
Lexol Leather conditioner and cleaner works pretty well, available at local stores too.
Old 07-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by DeMAN
I am sure any good name/quality leather conditioner would work. My favorite is the Zaino... mostly because of the smell...

As long as you don't use Armor-all or silicone based products.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is no such thing as a perfect car, but a $37,000+ luxury vehicle shouldn't have these problems. My younger sister has a 2002 Nissan Altima and it has no rattles, no leather issues, no peeling paint issues, etc. How the hell does a luxury vehicle leave the factory with the coat hook on upside down and backwards? This is why Acura isn't at the level of Lexus, BMW, etc. It's all because of their cheap materials and poor quality control. I love how Acura vehicles look inside and out, but they really have to step their game up. Do you guys think that the dealer will give me a hard time about getting the leather replaced?
Every Acura TL owner isn't having the same problems you maybe experiencing with your car. I read about high-end luxury cars worth $50-$60,000 having major issues with engine and electric systems. You are having minor issues that can easily be rectified which isn't a big deal. That's what warranty's are for. Your dealership will assist you with the issues you have right now. I've had minor issues with my car and got them replaced or fixed but nothing major. Acura is a good brand
Old 07-15-2007, 07:21 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Good luck with those issues, nail it to the dealer...a different dealer though...

btw on a side note, what camera are you using?
Old 07-15-2007, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by leedogg
Good luck with those issues, nail it to the dealer...a different dealer though...

A Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50S.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by leedogg

A Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50S.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:55 PM
From the Desert 2 the sea

You've got your share of problems. The seat one looks to me to be a man made rub. I second the use of Lexol on a regular basis (Zaino is great too). The exhaust tip looks like to much rubbing when washing - dealer?
The hole in the door looks like a bad repair from auto body repair - it's totally unacceptable.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Radcliffe1
You've got your share of problems. The seat one looks to me to be a man made rub. I second the use of Lexol on a regular basis (Zaino is great too). The exhaust tip looks like to much rubbing when washing - dealer?
The hole in the door looks like a bad repair from auto body repair - it's totally unacceptable.
The leather cracks are definitely not man made. You can't tell from the photos, but there are small white spots where the leather has rubbed off. It sucks! I have an appointment with Open Road Acura on Wednesday so we'll see what happens.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey man jus so u know the leather was painted.......did you buy your car used or new?
Old 07-16-2007, 10:18 AM
Safety Car

and or the conditioner you or someone else used on the leather is way too powerful and it ate up some of the material...... if you go to a good upholstery shop they know how to correct it and japanese leather sux you can barely work with it.... we have a hell of a time at my shop with it....so give the guys some time if you want it taken care of properly
Old 07-16-2007, 03:23 PM
Cruisin'

I don't have time to take it to the dealer for this kind of stuff.
lol! when I turn in my car to the dealer for warranty, they give me their 07 TL for alter. transport. Guess what? I floor it, sharp turns, see how ABS works... enjoy what is the maximum limit of a TL which I don't want to with my TL
Drop off your car and pickup another one will take about 15 - 30 mins. You don't have time? then you should not drive, get a personal air plane and remember to check leather seats
Old 07-16-2007, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
hey man jus so u know the leather was painted.......did you buy your car used or new?
New. I haven't cleaned or conditioned my seats yet.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
My god you have a lot of issues with this car...........I just saw another thread you have going about a spot on the grill trim
Old 07-16-2007, 05:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slick....your leather sucks....if it came from Acura like that...get it replaced....end of story. I've got a '04TL...and I had the infamous "butt prints"...my dealer swapped the leather bottoms, and backs, plus all the cushions and seat heaters to make me happy. Let them know you are not a happy camper. That body crap.....IS NOT ACCEPTABLE in any car...let alone an Acura......I'd start talking with a lawyer. That's just not safe quality body work. I would have never accepted that car. Buyer Beware.....check out your new car before you drive it off the lot. Don't buy a car at night either....pick it up early in the morning.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by JetJock
Slick....your leather sucks....if it came from Acura like that...get it replaced....end of story. I've got a '04TL...and I had the infamous "butt prints"...my dealer swapped the leather bottoms, and backs, plus all the cushions and seat heaters to make me happy. Let them know you are not a happy camper. That body crap.....IS NOT ACCEPTABLE in any car...let alone an Acura......I'd start talking with a lawyer. That's just not safe quality body work. I would have never accepted that car. Buyer Beware.....check out your new car before you drive it off the lot. Don't buy a car at night either....pick it up early in the morning.
I have an appointment with Open Road Acura on Wednesday and hopefully the leather will be covered under warranty and they won't give me a hard time about it. Does something like this seem like it would be covered under warranty? Hopefully, they can seal up that hole also.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Intermediate

i think he's being a bit extreme, but i also think theres some truth to it. Acura has yet to prove it's at the same level of luxury and quality as mercedes and bmw.. even lexus. Things like that really shouldnt happen. Although I agree it is a small thing, but its those, plus the rattles in the TL, these small things add up to become a big problem for people.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:36 PM

It's the little things that piss people off. If something major happens to your car, whatever, the dealer will fix it under warranty. The small things are a pain to fix (i.e. rattles, etc.). The dealer will give you the run around about not being able to replicate the rattle, blah blah blah. Luxury brands shouldn't have these types of annoyances. That's why you pay the premium for them isn't it? They are just supposed to be better built, period. Like I said before, I love Acura vehicles when it comes to their design, but after my experience with my TL I'd be afraid/hesitant to buy another Acura. This is why Toyota/Lexus is so profitable. They make quality vehicles and do everything it takes to keep their customers for the long haul. Toyota's loyal long-term customers are the ones who have made Toyota what it is today. Acura can attract new luxury car buyers with their edgy styling, but they can't keep them for the long haul due to their quality issues.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:37 PM
Kaa - Ching !!!

Location: Rhode Island.....Self-Proclaimed Chromed Cousin of Brettallica
There is no such thing as a perfect car, but a $37,000+ luxury vehicle shouldn't have these problems. My younger sister has a 2002 Nissan Altima and it has no rattles, no leather issues, no peeling paint issues, etc. How the hell does a luxury vehicle leave the factory with the coat hook on upside down and backwards?
Did they take out your headliner to replace the roof motor? Maybe they just put it back on backwards when then re-installed it.......
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
I've had so much crap go wrong with my 2007 Acura TL that it's getting really annoying now! My moonroof motor had to be replaced, exhaust tip paint was peeling off, freakin' DCH Montclair Acura butchered my car when I took it in to get the previously mentioned problems fixed, I have the moonroof and driver's door rattles, one of the door's has a hole in it, the coat hook was put on backwards and upside down, and now my driver's seat leather seems to be cracking! What should I do about the leather? Will the dealer replace it? What about the rattles and the hole in my door?

Screw Acura! This is definitely my last Acura! I'm paying the car off at the end of this year and getting something else!

my headrest is pealing like that... i guess its from my hair droduct on it lol but will warranty coner that?

Quick Reply: Is My Leather Cracking?