Is it my imagination...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2004 | 03:58 PM
Cruisin'

Is it my imagination...

Is it my imagination or...

does the TL have a really wide turning arc (even though its wheel base seems shorter than my GF's SUV) than usual?
Old 10-17-2004 | 04:03 PM
Administrator

Not your imagination. The turning circle for the TL is 39 feet, about 3 feet more than what we are all used to, so it takes a lot of backing and filling to get into tight spaces.
Old 10-17-2004 | 04:17 PM
Drifting

I've noticed that every Acura I've owned had a wide turning radius. It's pretty embarassing when you can't make a turn that a big SUV does with ease. I end up driving around the block instead of trying to make a U-turn.
Old 10-17-2004 | 04:30 PM
Advanced

I been doing ok with it, coming from an Infiniti I30, so it doesn't feel that different. There haven been time when I had issues getting into a tight spot, but it's mostly because I don't want to bump any car. Anyone actually get the parking radar option???
Old 10-17-2004 | 04:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JetJock
I've noticed that every Acura I've owned had a wide turning radius. It's pretty embarassing when you can't make a turn that a big SUV does with ease. I end up driving around the block instead of trying to make a U-turn.
One of the reasons some SUV's have a shorter turning radius is the Engine.. On my Envoy for example it's an inline 6 this makes a smaller turning radius.

just an FYI
Old 10-17-2004 | 04:41 PM
Ak Ting Up

Actually, the 96 model of the TL had a short turning radius. It had a short nose.
Old 10-17-2004 | 04:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tommyt37
One of the reasons some SUV's have a shorter turning radius is the Engine.. On my Envoy for example it's an inline 6 this makes a smaller turning radius.

just an FYI
that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard..the turning radius has to do with the suspension, wheels, tires, wheelwells, etc, not the engine..my tahoe with a big huge old V8 had a better turning radius than my TLS..
Old 10-17-2004 | 04:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by AcuraVic
Actually, the 96 model of the TL had a short turning radius. It had a short nose.
That explains it. I traded my 96TL in for my 04TL, which is why I really feel it has such a large turning circle. Did the 96TL have a short nose because it still had the longitudinal V6 from the Legend instead of the transverse V6 in the 2G and 3G TL's?
Old 10-17-2004 | 05:06 PM
Instructor

One thing I could say is the Legend had a very SMALL radius. I was busting Uwees everywhere.
Old 10-17-2004 | 05:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by FLAcuraTLS
that is the dumbest thing i have ever heard..the turning radius has to do with the suspension, wheels, tires, wheelwells, etc, not the engine..my tahoe with a big huge old V8 had a better turning radius than my TLS..
Actually you are wrong.. the size of the In line 6 is more narrow thus a tighter turning radius. My uncle works for GM and I was told it a few years ago... Heres a write up on it..

"As for handling and ride quality, the TrailBlazer swings into tight parking spaces easily, a benefit of the narrower straight-six engine, which gives engineers room for more flexibility with wheel angles. In fact, the turn radius is 6 feet tighter than that of the old Blazer, which is shorter and narrower. "

Whos the dumb ass now? dumb ass....
Old 10-17-2004 | 05:39 PM
Senior Moderator

wider car, wider turning radius
Old 10-17-2004 | 06:09 PM
Burning Brakes

It is longer than I'm used to. THen again my daily is a Integra.
Old 10-17-2004 | 06:12 PM
Instructor

I think it has more to do with the TL's fwd trans-axle transmission and how it pushes the front suspension arms out wider than a rwd cars transmission/rear differential.
Old 10-17-2004 | 07:32 PM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

It's a combination of long wheelbase, wheels pushed far out to the corners of the car, wide track and wide tires.

Doesn't bother me though...
Old 10-17-2004 | 08:15 PM
I6

Most of the time I do the same thing. I drive around the block instead of making a U-turn.
Old 10-17-2004 | 08:38 PM
Licking Platters Clean

just an FYI
Sounds like marketing bullshit to me, I don't care if your Dad is CEO of GM.

MAYBE that accounts for a small bit of it, but it's by far mostly varied by design of the suspension and wheel placement.
Old 10-17-2004 | 09:01 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
Sounds like marketing bullshit to me, I don't care if your Dad is CEO of GM.

MAYBE that accounts for a small bit of it, but it's by far mostly varied by design of the suspension and wheel placement.

hahhaha god people like you amaze me.. not only do you not have a clue about what you are talking about.. but you won't even believe the people on the design team... "The color red is red in color" You'd say what? "Uhhh sounds like bullshit to me maybe it's a little red in color"

Listen I can come up with plenty of documents supporting the FACT on how the I6 helps reduce the turning radius on the GMC/Chevy SUV platform.. so who should people believe? Some guy in a forum who has no facts? or actual people that design the damn thing.. hahaha ohh man you are to funny.. thanks for the laugh

dumb ass.... hehehe
Old 10-17-2004 | 09:07 PM
Licking Platters Clean

dumb ass....
Regardless, I doubt anyone here gives a rats ass about some hemmoroid bragging about his peice of shit Chevy. Move it to the American Trash/GM forum.
Old 10-17-2004 | 09:18 PM
Instructor

You should drive a late 90's C class mercedes. Never seen a car with as tight of a turning radius. I swear the front wells would turn perpendicular to the car.
Old 10-17-2004 | 09:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JackSprat01
Regardless, I doubt anyone here gives a rats ass about some hemmoroid bragging about his peice of shit Chevy. Move it to the American Trash/GM forum.

hahahaa! ohh god is that all you got? your the one who gave a rats ass cause you replied to it! hahahaha ohh god you are funny! what a dumb ass...

Ohh and the classic "American Trash" line how original... hahahaha!
.. so long

dumb ass
Old 10-18-2004 | 11:03 AM
Safety Car

the turning radius is huge compared to me 3 series. most bmw's have the wheels positioned pretty far up front and further in the rear to help with the 50/50 balance. but the turning radius is seems to be alot better. given that car was smaller it's still pretty tough to get use to when maneuvering in tigh spots like parking or U turns(which now become K turns).
Old 10-18-2004 | 12:08 PM
Team Nighthawk Director

Actually you are wrong.. the size of the In line 6 is more narrow thus a tighter turning radius. My uncle works for GM and I was told it a few years ago... Heres a write up on it..

"As for handling and ride quality, the TrailBlazer swings into tight parking spaces easily, a benefit of the narrower straight-six engine, which gives engineers room for more flexibility with wheel angles. In fact, the turn radius is 6 feet tighter than that of the old Blazer, which is shorter and narrower. "

Whos the dumb ass now? dumb ass....
That was funny, I haven't heard this either but you make a good point. The shorter the engine the shorter the nose of the car.
Old 10-20-2004 | 03:52 PM
10th Gear

PuffyY,

I'm convinced the I30 has a tighter radius. I have both: on my street I can do a U-turn with the I30, but it's got to be a K-turn with the TL.
Old 10-20-2004 | 04:30 PM
Intermediate

It is because the front wheel drive and the front wheels turn. There's a shit load of linkage to the front wheels. Notice all of the examples of cars and trucks you guys have given. THEY'RE ALL REAR WHEEL DRIVE!!!!! That's the main reason why the car has shitty turning radius because there's 2 transaxles driving the front wheels and linkage for front suspension and linkage for steering!! Rear wheel drive the shaft goes to the back of the car, freeing up alot of space!!! That is the biggest factor, that's why a huge suv can make tighter turns, think about it...
Old 10-20-2004 | 05:04 PM
Instructor

It's wheelbase, track, steering geometry and overhang. Any of these can make or break the turning radius.

The worst car I ever had was a Pontiac Fiero -- I actually got points taken off on a driver's test because it took 5 points to make a 3-point turn on a narrow road in that car.

My best was a Ford Explorer Sport. Its turning radius was almost as tight as a Jeep's.
Old 10-21-2004 | 12:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wrooni
PuffyY,

I'm convinced the I30 has a tighter radius. I have both: on my street I can do a U-turn with the I30, but it's got to be a K-turn with the TL.

What year is your I30? I trade in my 1996 I30 for the '04 TL, so I don't have a comparison to go with. But I think for most people, turning radius is associated w/ their speed of travel. May be they're going a bit faster w/ the TL than they realized, thus the bigger turn.
Old 10-21-2004 | 08:22 AM
Disproportionate Member

lol, the Acura FWD turning radius isn't as wide as Nissan's..