Sponsored by:

My drive from FL to NYC... Navi + Other Acuras

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 11:42 PM
2006 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My drive from FL to NYC... Navi + Other Acuras

FIRSTLY,
I noticed something cool that our Navi's do... for the first time. I noticed this when I was driving on I-95 in South Carolina (which is a pretty boring state to drive thru minus the 50 "South of the Border" signs that give drivers a good laugh here n there). Sorry I didn't take a picture of it but I was driving and didn't wanna try...

As I was driving along I-95 I noticed that the labeling of any road running straight (180 degree angle) up and down the screen was reversed or flipped around every 5 seconds or so - I guess to allow both the Driver and Passenger to be able to read the road name.

For Example... If I were driving along 95 and a road ran straight (in the vicinity of the screen) the labeling would go from left-reader to right-reader:

C A
A N
R I
O L
L O
I R
N A
A C

Obviously the letters on the screen would be shown rotated (running along the road)... I just did that to try and explain it better. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

SECONDLY,
On the Jersey Turnpike a black base TL approached me from behind, and followed me... and then another black TL approaches from the side (A-Spec pkg, w/ lip) - the 3 of us had a fun drive for about a good 45 mins on the NJT... we stayed in a mini "TL Cluster" on the roadway lol... anyway - The A-Spec car caught my eye b/c of it's taillights. The car (w/ Delaware plates) blacked out the top and bottom of the tails, only showing the middle of the taillight - the 2nd/bottom row of LEDs and the signal light bulb - looked really cool... I doubt he's on here but It'd be cool to see someone do that mod - looks very nice on NBP. Photoshop-savvy people feel free to make a rendering.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:25 AM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hmmm...I would like to see what that would look like (Tail lights). Sounds like it looked pretty bad ass!
Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 AM
2006 TL

yep - he was a "BA" - a "BAMF," if you will... lol
Old 01-16-2007, 01:41 AM
Dont Touch My Car !!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in DE, I never see any people my age driving a TL or having that type of mods. It would be nice to meet fellow TLers in DE though.

I was thinking of doing someting with my taillights, when i tinted my window last week, but decided to do it when it gets warmer.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
As I was driving along I-95 I noticed that the labeling of any road running straight (180 degree angle) up and down the screen was reversed or flipped around every 5 seconds or so - I guess to allow both the Driver and Passenger to be able to read the road name.

For Example... If I were driving along 95 and a road ran straight (in the vicinity of the screen) the labeling would go from left-reader to right-reader:

C A
A N
R I
O L
L O
I R
N A
A C

Obviously the letters on the screen would be shown rotated (running along the road)... I just did that to try and explain it better. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Took me a while but I now understand what you mean by this. I wonder how the discussion about how to accomplish this bit of programming wizardry came about? Maybe dyslexic systems engineers, or they just couldn't make up they're minds about which way to display the street name so they compromised and did both.

Nice pics, your car is very clean looking. One question though.

Red / Blue Strobes ??
Old 01-16-2007, 09:34 AM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by Shalooby
Took me a while but I now understand what you mean by this. I wonder how the discussion about how to accomplish this bit of programming wizardry came about? Maybe dyslexic systems engineers, or they just couldn't make up they're minds about which way to display the street name so they compromised and did both.

Nice pics, your car is very clean looking. One question though.

Red / Blue Strobes ??
yeah i found it difficult to explain w.o a picture - when i saw it my initial reaction was "holy shit thats cool!" Red/Blue Strobes are the Whelen emergency/police lights that mount behind the rear view mirror.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyASPEC
yep - he was a "BA" - a "BAMF," if you will... lol
watch dane cook much huh???
Old 01-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
If you thought the signs were funny, you should see the actual place.

http://www.pedroland.com/
Old 01-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
That's what I thought. Now, I'm not one to try and stir the pot or anything however aren't you pushing the envelope of the whole impersonating a police officer statute with those?

Unless you are a police officer and having a setup like that in your personal vehicle is OK. (If so, didn't mean to blow your cover, sorry)

From what I've read about it in this area, people charged with that kind of behaviour are subjected to pretty severe penalties.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i drove to FL from NY and back to NY, didn really notice what your mentioning
Old 01-16-2007, 11:30 PM
2006 TL

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
watch dane cook much huh???
lol DC, Robin Williams, and George Carlin are the best! Whenever DC is in town, I go to his shows.

Yes, the red/blue strobes are illegal when used improperly and w/o a permit.

And rbf - i'll take a pic soon to give u a better understanding when i get the chance - sorry for being vague.