3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My accident story (3 weeks after getting my baby)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My accident story (3 weeks after getting my baby)

I won't make this long-winded cuz all I want is an opinion from you guys. I was driving home from work today and was slowing down to stop at a stop sign. I came to a stop and then 2 seconds later was hit from behind on the left.

I was furious. My car has 2000kms on it and is three weeks old. The guy who hit me was driving a 1991 Honda Accord and I guess he hadn't left enough room between me and him.

The left side of my rear bumper is smashed and full of white paint. It doesn't look like any other parts of the car are affected. The plastic moulding around the left exhaust is also damaged. I'm really sad about it cuz my car is so new.

Luckily, in Canada, if you are hit from behind, it's always the hitter's fault. So I don't have to pay the deductible on my insurance. However, my premium is going up 90$/year for 3 years. ARGH.

So, my question is, can you guys think of anything else on the car I should check for damage before accepting the appraiser's estimate to the dealership? Does anyone know what it should cost to have a bumper replaced, they definitely need to replace the rear bumper as well as that plastic moulding.

I guess that's it. I'm just upset that my new baby is damaged and is no longer perfect.

carefully everyone... it's not us we have to be careful for, it's everybody else!
Old 11-08-2004, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why didn't the other driver pay for it if it is not your fault?
Old 11-09-2004, 06:42 AM
Intermediate

I would have gotten out, walked over to that idiot, yanked him out of his pathetic car, dragged him over to the TL's rear bumper and proceeded to repeatedly smash his face into the damaged area until the white paint he left on there was a nice shade of pink from having red mixed into it. Anyway, like the person above me said, he should pay for replacing the bumper. Can we get a picture of the damage. Then maybe we can better answer your question.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I'll post up a picture later today. The damage isn't huge, but the bumper is cracked, so it needs replacing. I guess I could sue the guy, but thing is, suing doesn't work very well in Canada. Litigation is not as easy and succesful here as it is in the US. Instead, we have somewhat of a fault-based insurance system -- hence he pays my deductible.

Argh, it just pisses me off cuz my car is so new. Anyway, I'll let y'all know what the estimate is to repair the damage...
Old 11-09-2004, 07:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Check for frame damage
Old 11-09-2004, 07:59 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I was wondering about frame damage too -- how does one check that? Don't you have to put the car up on a lift? The insurance appraiser definitely won't be doing that...

Here are a couple pics:

Old 11-09-2004, 08:18 AM
Intermediate

Hmmm, that's not too bad. Looks like all you need is a new bumper cap, which most likely will need to be painted as it comes in a black primer from most car manufacturers. You'll also need the small gray piece just above the tail pipe. I wouldn't think your frame is damaged. You may want the repair shop to take a look at that muffler and make sure it wasn't damaged. Since the sheet metal wasn't damaged, I'd say your TL is still in pretty good condition. Once you get it back from the shop and a few months have passed, you won't even think about it.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by zax123
I was wondering about frame damage too -- how does one check that? Don't you have to put the car up on a lift? The insurance appraiser definitely won't be doing that...

Here are a couple pics:

Dude, that's NOTHING. That ain't damage. Have them replace the bumper and check the reinforcements underneath.

BTW, if not your fault, the insurace company should receive compensation from the culprit's insurance company and cover your deductible. Happened to me. I paid the deductible but was refunded and my insurance didn't go up.
Old 11-09-2004, 08:37 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Yeah, I don't have to pay my deductible since the other guy is responsible. However, I have a special discount on my insurance because I have been claim-free for over three years. But since I'm making a claim now (fault or not), my insurance is going to go up to the regular rate for three years. Oh well, that's life... I will have the bumper reinforcements underneath checked, but as you guys said, it should be ok.

Thanks for the tips.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:34 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Frame damage? No way. The plastic is barely cracked. Not to minimize it because I'm sure it's annoying. Sorry to hear about it. I wouldn't worry about it too much but definitely take it to a good shop. I had a rear bumper repainted a few years ago from a similar situation and about a year later all the paint started to peal off. The guy didn't use the proper primers to adhere the paint to the plastic.

I almost know how you feel. My wife called me one night last week. Someone bumped her in the back at a light. I ran up there as fast as I could but there wasn't even a scratch in the paint. I was prepared for the worst. IHe must have barely hit her but she was nervous about the car.

Good luck with the repair.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Yeah, I've insisted with my insurance that my car be fixed by the Acura dealership where I bought it. I know they'll have a body shop that they refer it to but I'm sure it's a good one, it's a well-respected dealership in Montreal... we'll see how it goes.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:31 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Judging by the pictures, it's just the bumper cover and other minor things.

Get 2 or 3 estimates and pick the best one. Never go to a shop that your insurance company recommends.

Besides, if they wrote an estimate, but found more damage after they started working on it, they will pay for that, too. You don't need to worry about additional damages after getting an estimate; it's just an estimate.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Thanks guys, we'll see tomorrow what the estimate's gonna be!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:50 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Judging by the pictures, it's just the bumper cover and other minor things.

Get 2 or 3 estimates and pick the best one. Never go to a shop that your insurance company recommends.
It's not necessarily a bad thing to go to the shop that your insurance company recommended. In my case with a dent I had on the rear quarter panel I think the insurance company ponied up a lot more cash than they needed to to get that area fixed (Based on what other posters said regarding their repair experience). Not only that, but any hidden damage would have been immediately covered since the insurance appraiser has a desk at the shop and can immediately approve any increases.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:17 AM
Racer

Plus, some insurance companies will guarantee the work of their recommended shops so you can be reasonably sure of the quality of their work.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the reassurance guys. Yeah, I don't have to pay my deductible since the other guy is responsible. However, I have a special discount on my insurance because I have been claim-free for over three years. But since I'm making a claim now (fault or not), my insurance is going to go up to the regular rate for three years. Oh well, that's life... I will have the bumper reinforcements underneath checked, but as you guys said, it should be ok.

Thanks for the tips.
Insurance is such a SCAM. It's not even your fault and just because some careless driver accidentally hits you, now your premium will go up. Sorry to hear that, but your damage seems very minimal, just replace the bumper and you are good to go.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:41 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I agree that insurance is a scam. My premium really shouldn't go up and if it does, the other guy should be forced to pay for it. Especially since I haven't done anything wrong. But unfortunately, our insurance in Quebec is no-fault so I gotta deal with it. My insurance is cheap anyway, so I shouldn't complain. My new premium is going to be $800CAN/year. For a $45000CAN car, it's a very good price... $710 was better but... :P
Old 11-10-2004, 09:00 AM
Advanced

I agree that insurance is a scam. My premium really shouldn't go up and if it does, the other guy should be forced to pay for it. Especially since I haven't done anything wrong. But unfortunately, our insurance in Quebec is no-fault so I gotta deal with it. My insurance is cheap anyway, so I shouldn't complain. My new premium is going to be $800CAN/year. For a $45000CAN car, it's a very good price... $710 was better but... :P
sorry to see your car..but your insuarance is really cheap..mine in Toronto is like $4500/yr.......
Old 11-10-2004, 09:01 AM
Team Anthracite Member

OUCH!! I just couldn't justify the $400/month just for insurance. That's gotta hurt! I don't feel so bad now.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:56 PM
mio
Police

i think they can just fix the bumper, instead of replace a new one...
Old 11-10-2004, 01:57 PM
Team Anthracite Member

The insurance appraiser was just here... he is having the bumper cover replaced as well as the plastic piece around the muffler. My dealership will have the info tomorrow at which time I can schedule a date to have the work done. They'll have to order the bumper and paint it so that'll probably take some time. In the meantime, I'm going to get my winter tires put on.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:28 PM
Cruisin'

Another one for team antracite

Is your car antracite or silver ... if it is anthracite, we should post a new thread saying all 2004 antracite TL's are cursed! Got in an accident 3 weeks after I got mine and still taking it back to the body shop for minor repairs to it. Not to mention the fact that the dealer backed into the rear bumper with another car and had to have the bumper repainted. WE ARE A CURSED COLOR - you can search for pix of my wreck on this site.
Old 11-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Sorry to hear about your car, zax. I simply don't understand why your insurance should increase in price if you weren't at fault, even in a no-fault province. Luckily, your damage doesn't look too bad.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Lore
It's not necessarily a bad thing to go to the shop that your insurance company recommended. In my case with a dent I had on the rear quarter panel I think the insurance company ponied up a lot more cash than they needed to to get that area fixed (Based on what other posters said regarding their repair experience). Not only that, but any hidden damage would have been immediately covered since the insurance appraiser has a desk at the shop and can immediately approve any increases.
For instance, AAA direct repair shops are instructed to use cheaper aftermarket replacements whenever and wherever possible. My brother's car was in the shop for a month to get the front end fixed at a AAA direct repair shop (I was away at school and didn't know, otherwise I would've stopped him), and although I went with him afterwards and requested all OEM parts, they put on all aftermarket parts. We had to fight with AAA to get OEM parts, but even then, they only agreed to replace the front bumper cover because it was just of absolutely horrible quality. I've never seen such a shitty car part. I'm horrified that AAA and the body shop even decided to put that piece of shit on the car in the first place.

On the other hand, I take my car to Mike Savoie Chevrolet. I'm pretty cool with the manager there, and I can trust him with my car. Although they accept all kinds of insurance, they are NOT a AAA direct repair shop, by their choice. Carl does not like using aftermarket parts, and he hates AAA for instructing their shops to use aftermarket parts. So I know that if he was working on my car, I would get all OEM parts.

Same thing with Ken here at school. He's the only guy I trust around here with my car, and he doesn't want to be a AAA direct repair shop, because he doesn't want to use aftermarket parts.

AAA sucks ass when it comes to repairs. The only reason my family is still with them is because we get discounts. But whenever our cars need repairs done, they are either taken to Mike Savoie Chevrolet (owns Acura of Troy, shares body shop), or Ken's place.

I did not buy an Acura and pay 3 grand a year for insurance to get fucked over with cheap, unapproved parts on my car. Majority of the population don't even realize that they are getting shafted.

Also, AAA advertises that their direct repair shops guarantee their work, as if other shops didn't. Mike Savoie, in fact, offers a longer warranty than a AAA direct repair shop would. Get fucked.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:29 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Hey guys,

Just got the estimate. $1232.12. That includes a new bumper cover and the piece around the exhaust. That sounds cheap to me. No? Whadda ya think people?

Lemme know.