Sponsored by:

My 2004 Acura TL 10,000 mile update

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2004, 01:28 PM
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2004 Acura TL 10,000 mile update

First, gotta give kudos to Rocketsfan for starting the thread here

Well, I got my TL on Dec 5th of last year.
Around Friday of this week, I'm going to pass the 10,000 mile mark. (Yes, I'm posting this a little early to make sure that I actually do it.)

The TL replaced a '98 Mustang Cobra Convertible, with 116K on it. The mustang was great and fun, at it's time, but had grown old, with rattles and squeekes everwhere. I needed some refinement - without giving up all the power I had grown used to (315hp). I already had a bluetooth car kit installed in this car - but on the freeway it was impossible to hear due to the road noise.

Yes, I looked at the G35, but the interior was boring. I looked at the Z - again, the inside was boring, and I couldn't see out of the back window.

Then I saw an ad on TV advertising bluetooth - I told my wife it must be the new 5-series ad, and then discovered it was a Honda ad. Okay, time to do some research.
I researched the heck out of Honda, found acura-tl.com and was hooked.

I called every dealership in the area, and after about two weeks, one called back that had what I wanted in stock (just offloading a truck), a NBP/Ebony/5AT/Navi. I bought it that night.

Since then I've loved every minute driving my car. You may have guessed that I drive quite a lot, and I do. I love it. I love the navi and how it can find anything anywhere.

I've had my car windows tinted, I've installed a V1 radar detector, and a CompuStar remote starter. I've changed phones once (had a SE t68i, upgraded to a Z600).
Oh, and I bought the service manual - which is a really great read.

My car has been to the dealership twice - once to have a spare key cut (took them about four hours to program the damn thing) and once to have the memory seats fixed.
I have had no problem with tires, vibration, sounds, headliner, etc.

I too have a dent on the left door panel where I rest my elbow when driving. Big deal; every car I've owned has had this dent.

For the first oil change I went to Jiffy-lube, where the guys all loved the car - it was the first one that they had seen.
I had to reset the "Service due" message myself when I left.

About my only regret is that the 05RL looks so great. It's like the TL on steroids.

I love showing off to my frieds with the voice control, with the surround sound, and all that stuff. I even showed it to a friend this weekend, and he like the navi better than his mother's MB S500.

I'd give this car a 9 out of 10.

-=Nick=-
Old 05-24-2004, 01:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Encouraging post

Nickpoore - thanks for the encouraging post. My TL only has 4K mi, but so far I am having a similar experience with the car as you did - no tire issues, no rattles, no headliner droop, etc... and I have only been to the dealer 2 times for minor cosmetic issues.

Glad to see the TL performing as it should at the 10K mark - I like to read the posts, but they (naturally) emphasize the problems of a few rather than the satisfaction of the many.

My only disappointment is that my cell phone provider (Verizon) doesn't have a HFL phone available so I can use this feature. This will be remedied with time...until then, life is still good behind the wheel of a TL!!
Old 05-24-2004, 02:00 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Good to know this car is as good as you've expected... I bet 05RL won't be any better than your current vehicle.
Old 05-24-2004, 02:27 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Nick, thanks for the inspiring comments. Makes me look forward to my 10,000 mile mark. Have a ways to go though as I just turned over 600 miles. Love it so far, not a single problem, and the break-in period is over! Time to have some REAL fun!
Old 05-24-2004, 04:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Thanks for the post, Nick. I just passed 10k yesterday myself after nearly eight months of ownership.

The main thing I notice is that my gas mileage has improved, to an average of 24 mpg in mixed highway/city driving.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:39 PM
Drifting

I will be posting a similiar thread by the end of the year hopefully. Saving up for a TL to snag in 4-5 months. Bluetooth is a wonderful thing and it has so many other functions. For what the TL offers with the Handsfree Link, it is totally amazing. BTW, the Z600 is an awesome phone.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nickpoore
Oh, and I bought the service manual - which is a really great read.
Assuming there's no saracasm in there....what did you find to be the most beneficial about the manual?

About my only regret is that the 05RL looks so great. It's like the TL on steroids.
No doubt, it is sweet. But....i'll bet the price tag will be quite high. Cant wait to test drive while i'm getting my TL's oil changed.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rishevan
Assuming there's no saracasm in there....what did you find to be the most beneficial about the manual?
The manual is a very interesting read. It explains all about the elctronics, and how they run two seperate networks to get them all talking together.
The manual also have great step-by-step instructions on how to take verything apart - which is why I bought it in the first place.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:05 PM
Drifting

Which manual did you get? Haynes? Chilton?
Old 05-24-2004, 07:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mobilezen
Which manual did you get? Haynes? Chilton?
Acura.
Service Manual.
You can buy them from Helm.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:13 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
ok I LOVE MY CAR TOO WITH LITTLE OVER 11400 MILES ON IT....... yahoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS... MY CARS BETTER THAN YOURS...

ok enuff sorry guys lol
Old 05-24-2004, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Acura.
Service Manual.
You can buy them from Helm.
Ah the Helms manual. I thought you got the real Acura manual. One of my friends knows someone at a local Acura dealership. I'd like to get the real Acura manual cause as much information as Helms, Haynes, and Chiltons puts in their books, the Acura one is even more detailed than those.
Old 05-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by mobilezen
Ah the Helms manual. I thought you got the real Acura manual. One of my friends knows someone at a local Acura dealership. I'd like to get the real Acura manual cause as much information as Helms, Haynes, and Chiltons puts in their books, the Acura one is even more detailed than those.
There's an order form in the owner's manual to order the shop manual which is about $70. Is that Acura or Helms?
Old 05-24-2004, 08:24 PM
Team Emerald City Janitor

Thumbs up

After 1 month I am at 2000 miles, some spirited miles included
not much highway though.

I have no problems at all. I even got an early VIN#19xxx. I have yet to use the bluetooth feature, the navi bailed me out a couple of times!! I love this car