Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 05 TL Is A Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 01:37 AM
Empire of The Sun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 05 TL Is A Lemon

I Have Owned My 05 6mt 3.2 Tl For Little Over Five Months And Have 8100 Miles As Of Todday. I Have Owned 3 Acuras In My Lifetime But I Believe I Got A Rotten One With My New Tl, Im Greatly Disappointed In The Quality Of This Vechile In Which My Brake Rotars Have Warpped 3 Times Already Which Under California Law Qualifies Me For The Lemon Law. Spoke To Client Services And They Say That They Are Most Likely Going To Give Me A New One, Still Undecided If I Want A New One Or I Just Want My Money Back Since The Vechile Is Paid For Already. Just Looking For Advice So I Get Another One Or Should I Get A 5 Series. Your Inputs Will Greatly Be Apperciated. Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 02:57 AM
Cruisin'

If it was me, I'd be through with whatever manufacturer this happened with. But that's just me, this is your $ here, you have to decide...

I've seen posts in all caps, posts in all lower, but never the first letter of every word cap'd. Strange...

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ACER
I Have Owned My 05 6mt 3.2 Tl For Little Over Five Months And Have 8100 Miles As Of Todday. I Have Owned 3 Acuras In My Lifetime But I Believe I Got A Rotten One With My New Tl, Im Greatly Disappointed In The Quality Of This Vechile In Which My Brake Rotars Have Warpped 3 Times Already Which Under California Law Qualifies Me For The Lemon Law. Spoke To Client Services And They Say That They Are Most Likely Going To Give Me A New One, Still Undecided If I Want A New One Or I Just Want My Money Back Since The Vechile Is Paid For Already. Just Looking For Advice So I Get Another One Or Should I Get A 5 Series. Your Inputs Will Greatly Be Apperciated. Thanks
I am not sure but I don't think this meets the lemon law. Isn't there something in the lemon law that has to do with the amount of time the car is in the shop?
Old 07-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Does anyone read this

Originally Posted by cyco
I've seen posts in all caps, posts in all lower, but never the first letter of every word cap'd. Strange...
I don't know why but I laughed when I read that.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Does anyone read this

Found it

http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/st...htm#Lemon-Laws

The vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of nonconformities by the manufacturer or its agents for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days since delivery of the vehicle to the buyer. The 30-day limit shall be extended only if repairs cannot be performed due to conditions beyond the control of the manufacturer or its agents. The buyer shall be required to directly notify the manufacturer pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (2) only if the manufacturer has clearly and conspicuously disclosed to the buyer, with the warranty or the owner's manual, the provisions of this section and that of subdivision (d) of Section 1793.2, including the requirement that the buyer must notify the manufacturer directly pursuant to paragraphs (1) and (2). The notification, if required, shall be sent to the address, if any, specified clearly and conspicuously by the manufacturer in the warranty or owner's manual. This presumption shall be a rebuttable presumption affecting the burden of proof, and it may be asserted by the buyer in any civil action, including an action in small claims court, or other formal or informal proceeding.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:03 AM
Supreme Underlord/Abyss

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a headache after reading that post.

That said, warped rotors aren't exactly a "lemon law" thing. They aren't really a safety issue, nor do they prevent you from driving the car. Replacing rotors takes a few hours, so the car doesn't have to be laid up at a shop for an extended period of time. Finally, the odds of getting three sets of defective rotors are between slim and NONE.

Warped rotors aren't a common failing with the TL. I tend to think that most cases involve misuse or improper lug tightening.

I think one of three things is happening in this case. Someone is overheating the brakes and causing them to warp, is overzealous with tightening wheel lugs, or just popped on to spam us with their first post.

My vote is number three.

Regards,
Old 07-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Just because of warped rotors?
Rotors warp because of poor brake jobs, or not bedding the pads in correctly.

Most times its the lug nuts done up too tight and poor break in of the brakes.

We have had a number of cars that developed warped rotors, but after
I fix things, they never warp again.
What I do is install new disks, on clean hubs(wire brush, emery cloth), with
some high temp disk brake grease between the hub and disk, and the disk
and wheel (aids heat transfer), quality pads like the PBR deluxe, with the high
temp disk brake grease on the back of the pads (works better than the sticky
anti squeel stuff), then I do the lug nuts up in a do one skip one pattern till all
are tight, with a tourqe wrench set to 80 ft pounds.
I NEVER had warped disks after doing brakes up that way, on any car.

Brett
Old 07-27-2005, 12:18 AM
Empire of The Sun

pick up a new GS 430 today!!! My lawyer contacted ACURA and most likely they are going to give me a new one. WIll see if thats true but for now the TL is on the back burner... STill love the car and once I have it replaced with a new one, the TL will be number one again but for now its the GS 430. Also about the lemon law if it involves a safety feature and it is fix 2 or more time in a spand of 18 months or 18k miles, the vechile qualifies for California Lemon Law.

What constitutes “a reasonable number of attempts” at repair is a question of fact that can only be answered on a case by case basis. However, as a guideline, the Lemon Law states that if within 18 months or 18,000 miles of use, whichever occurs first, either the same material defect has been subject to repair four or more times, or the vehicle has been in the shop by reason of repairs for material defects for a cumulative total of more than 30 calendar days, then the vehicle is “presumed” to be a lemon. In addition, for vehicles purchased or leased after January 1, 2001, if the vehicle is repaired two times for a defect is likely to result in serious bodily injury or death, the vehicle is “presumed” to be a lemon.

Keep in mind, this is only a guideline; any vehicle which is not properly repaired while still under warranty after a “reasonable number of attempts” may qualify as a lemon, regardless of length of ownership or mileage. Therefore, with today's extended warranties, it is possible that a vehicle will qualify under the Lemon Law even though it may be three or four years old and have been driven 50,000 miles or more!
Old 07-27-2005, 12:21 AM
Instructor

wait for 2006 model...
Old 07-27-2005, 05:22 AM
Drifting

3 warped rotors??? I can understand 1, but 3?? Something sounds fishy here.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The brakes suck on the 3Gs... There have been so many problems with them..It would be bad enough if the pads were gone in 25K, but the rotors warping like they do.. And turning them is a joke... Let's grind them down more so they can warp easier.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:09 AM
Racer

get the 6mt?
Old 07-27-2005, 12:10 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by kabota
get the 6mt?
Originally Posted by ACER
I Have Owned My 05 6mt...
For some reason, I can't believe the brembos warped 3 times.

But whatever, congrats on your new car.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Empire of The Sun

Yupe the brembos warped three time already, just got them fixed today, hopefully that was the last fix,