Mr. Clean

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004 | 06:20 PM
Banned

Mr. Clean

Tried the mr clean no dry formula. Results were pretty bad. The soap cleans very well but dries very quickly leaving very bad spots. I redid the worst areas in a "spot fashion to avoid drying, it works very well that way. Forget about doing the whole car in one shot.
Old 04-25-2004 | 06:23 PM
Safety Car

most people on autopia consider it a bad solution to car washing. nice try by Mr.clean but its not a good system to use.
Old 04-25-2004 | 06:50 PM
Pro

Works fine for me.
Old 04-25-2004 | 09:06 PM
Advanced

Works fine for me too. You have to wash and rinse in sections (top-down), and keep the rinsed areas wet during the entire wash period. Then hit it with the ionized water at the very end. I take care of my parents' giant black Dodge Ram quad-cab with this thing, and it's the only way I can avoid water spots. Maybe hard water is an issue....but not for me.
Old 04-25-2004 | 09:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zipflint
Works fine for me too. You have to wash and rinse in sections (top-down), and keep the rinsed areas wet during the entire wash period. Then hit it with the ionized water at the very end. I take care of my parents' giant black Dodge Ram quad-cab with this thing, and it's the only way I can avoid water spots. Maybe hard water is an issue....but not for me.
You're right you have to do it by sections. I was hoping to do the entire car at once.
Old 04-25-2004 | 09:37 PM
O.G.

Are you talking about the Mr. Clean Autodry? If so, I don't know what you did wrong but it worked perfectly fine for me. I did the entire car in one shot and NOT even one water spot anywhere.

Since you are saying it left waterspots, I am assuming that you might need to change the filter. It happened to me once when I got waterspot after I was done. Found out the filter needed replacement. Actually, if you look at the filter, there is a clear window on the side that tells you when to change the filter. Once it starts turning brown then that is when you need to change it. I changed my water filter and it left no waterspots. Try that and let us know.
Old 04-25-2004 | 10:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Autodry works as advertised but the problem is, is that the final rinse with ionized water takes too long: I can dry my car MUCH quicker using a large microfiber towel and a water blade. They need to redesign the filter so that the flow of ionized water is much stronger. Right now, it's no stronger than a light mist. (It's scary to think about using this on a large SUV......will take up a whole day!).
Old 04-25-2004 | 10:42 PM
Advanced

I agree that the mist is rather fine, but it takes me maybe 5 minutes to mist the entire truck; I keep talking about Ram because it's the biggest, most difficult-to-clean thing I've messed with, far surpassing my '98 vette and my 02 altima.
My biggest gripe with the AutoDry thing is the price of the filters and the soap. It's a little on the expensive side. That's why I only use it on the truck. Some people also report that their vehicle "attracts dust" after the drying process is complete, but this hasn't happened with me.
Old 04-25-2004 | 10:55 PM
Unshunned

I've heard people say that the soap - because of the sheeting action it gives - leaves a film on your paint. I dunno...I didn't use the soap that came with it - I put in some of my Meguiars soap. I mainly purchased this thing because of the filtered water part. I use a wool wash mitt on one hand and the Mr. Clean in the other. Soap up a section of car - wipe down with mitt - rinse with non-filtered water...repeat. When I'm done with the whole car, I go over it with the filtered water, having kept the washed sections wet with the regular water. Takes me about 10-15 minutess for the whole car. Beats having to drag out buckets and towels every time I want to give the car a quick detail
Old 04-26-2004 | 10:31 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

I just tried this thing tonight. I did it in sections also. I works pretty dog gone good. I agree with some of you that it would be nice if the filtered rinse came out a little stronger, but the results weren't bad at all.
Old 04-26-2004 | 10:39 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I agree that it does work well. I have a well system at my house with extremely hard water. This stuff leaves hard, thick white cement on your car. I seriously couldn't wash my car at home. This Autodry system leaves no spots at all and I do the whole car at once. Trick is not allowing the rest of the car to dry while washing the other sections. I simply keep the car wet with the regular water until ready to use the mist. Also if your using any other soap besides the Mr. Clean soap your missing the benefit of it auto drying. Of course it still will not spot as long as you just leave the misting step in place but you will need to dry it.