3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most annoying accident ever - wish this one was on tape...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most annoying accident ever - wish this one was on tape...

I put my car up for sale on autotrader yesterday (07 TL-S). Got the car clayed and glazed, nicely detailed, took some great pictures, paid my $90, and put the car officially for sale.

Today, I park my car in front of my house. I open the driver door to get out of the car. BANG. A guy on his bicycle rode right into my door. The timing HAD to be perfect for it to happen that way.

He falls out in the middle of the street, collapsed (older guy, maybe about 45-50), cursing me out. Traffic starts building behind him until some other bystander helps him get up and sit on the sidewalk. He pulls up his pant leg and there is blood gushing down his knee from the fall he took when he rode into the door. He is still busy cursing me out. I felt bad for him, ignored his ranting, and went into my house and brought him some hydrogen peroxide, water, and paper towel to clean himself up.

He is busy cleaning up his cut, ranting under his breath, while dialing 911 for an ambulance and cop car. The ambulance gets here in about 45 seconds.

"Someone reported that someone was struck by a vehicle..."

The EMT finds out the guy rode into a parked car and becomes annoyed. The cops get to the scene about a minute after with the same 'someone got run over story'. When they found out he hit a still car, they said it was an open and closed case of him being a dumbass (their exact words).

Anyway, ambulance took him away. No police report filed. No paperwork done. Nothing.

Then when everything was cleared away, I looked at the car. The edge of my door was scratched down to the bare metal, paint still peeling. I could probably just put touch up paint on it..but I know myself, and I am extremely anal about having a meticulous looking car.

So here's my question - at this point - what is my car worth?

The bad:
It's an 07 TL-S, it has the paint problem on the door, which would probably have to be repainted. The front brake pads need to be replaced. 22K miles on it. There is a deep scratch on the hood from a rock, so the hood would probably require a repaint as well (WDP). It also has some minor curb rash from parking on one or two rims, and one tire has been replaced since I had a bad tire.

The good:
The car is debadged, has red LED turn signals in the front, has OEM Acura all weather mats, and has huper optik tint all around; including windshield. Mechanically it is flawless. It also has transferable free oil changes from Valley Stream Acura for the life of the car.

What's a fair asking price??
Old 08-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
look in kbb.com at the wholesale price- then deduct what it cost to repaint- say 1000
and 2 rims 400, a matching tire 175, brake job 550 IF the rotors are ok
subtract all that from wholesale and you have what you may get on the street

Its SOUNDS- from the description- like a car thats been a bit thrashed and needs expensive repair immedialty on the brakes, and may have suspension damage from curb rash- you would be surprised!
How appealing that all sounds!
Do I hear a hundred?
Old 08-12-2008, 12:33 AM
Team Owner

add 50 for tint- subtract 100 for cost of removing illegal and unsafe front windshield tint
Old 08-12-2008, 01:02 AM
hates the winter

New brakes, and bald tires at 22k??? Curb rash and scratches seems like the car hasn't been meticulously been taken care of. The biker incident isn't your fault but at this point I'd have to say around 27.5k. If you get the brakes, rims, scratch, door fixed then 32.5k would be fair
Old 08-12-2008, 01:06 AM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'd say $30,000 for a '07 Type-S with 22K miles.

But with that said I think a base TL with Navi with the same miles is worth $28,000.

With that said I'm surprised that the car needs new pads at 22,000miles, my base '06 was riding on stock pads and rotors at 42,000mi and I'd imagine I could get another 10K, at least, out of them.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:14 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ok my tl-s brake pads infront were almost down to the metal.. @ 10,500miles... And I don't drive hard 24/7

My opinion to you is get the cosmetics fixed at yur expense the curbed wheel you should be able to get repaired for pretty cheap... I'd say a good asking price is 30 even if you fix everything and 28 if you don't... But when people come to see the car the 28 will end up being 26
Old 08-12-2008, 06:02 AM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah Acura brakes sucks, they have for years. I'd say 30k too
Old 08-12-2008, 06:13 AM
Racer

The car is NOT dirty. The tires are not bald either. I replaced one tire with a brand new one because it got damaged. Here are pics of it prior to yesterday's bike thing.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:42 AM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Do you have the pics after the accident? It is a beautiful car, but with the cosmetic damages will really lower the value of a car. I would get everything fixed before selling. If the damage is costly, go through your insurance.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know what the laws are up there but if it is like here you got lucky with the cop. It is the job of a driver when parking to look out for vehicles coming down the street before they get out. If it was a car that had taken off your door things would have been different. Technically the bicycle has the same rights, considered a vehicle. This is why bicyclists are not supposed to run red lights, or turn without properly signaling. However as a cyclist he should know by experience that any door can open at any time and ride further out taking up your legal 1/3 of the lane. I am sorry to hear about your car. I just wanted to clarify this point as most people are not aware of bicycle law. I would get it fixed before I sell the car. You have a gorgeous car.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
It sounds like the cyclist was on the wrong side of the street too! They are supposed to ride WITH the traffic (AKA same side as cars drive), not against it.

Sorry to hear about the scratches on your car!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 quick questions since you brought it up.

First being the obvious that others have asked. What's with the windshield tint? I would have that removed ASAP if you are trying to sell it. It's illegal as hell, and if someone doesn't notice it, it may get you and/or them in some trouble.

Also - why red LED's for the front turn? Technically this is illegal too. If you had them laying around, I may understand. But if you ordered them from the internet or bought them yourself - why not just buy the right bulb from the get-go?

Oh well... not my car. It does look great though - good luck in the sale
Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Racer

Thanks everyone for the compliments and input.

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
2 quick questions since you brought it up.

First being the obvious that others have asked. What's with the windshield tint? I would have that removed ASAP if you are trying to sell it. It's illegal as hell, and if someone doesn't notice it, it may get you and/or them in some trouble.
I won't make excuses for the windshield tint. It's just personal preference for me. It protects the leather inside from the sun and heat, reduces glare for me when I drive, offers some level of privacy, and just looks cool. It's like asking why put 20% or limo tint when that's illegal as well (I have 30% all around and 50% on the front glass)..

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
Also - why red LED's for the front turn? Technically this is illegal too. If you had them laying around, I may understand. But if you ordered them from the internet or bought them yourself - why not just buy the right bulb from the get-go?
I am the second owner of the car, and this was in it when I bought it. I must admit that it looks really nice at night, although I'm not a fan of the hyperblink. I tried to install resistors but couldn't figure out the DIY posted, and eventually just left it as is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Study

Hahahhaa what a funny annoying story! Thanks for the laugh!

Good luck on the sale.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

i got a front windshield tint also it is illegal but its worth it lol
Old 08-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by stillhere153
Ok my tl-s brake pads infront were almost down to the metal.. @ 10,500miles... And I don't drive hard 24/7

My opinion to you is get the cosmetics fixed at yur expense the curbed wheel you should be able to get repaired for pretty cheap... I'd say a good asking price is 30 even if you fix everything and 28 if you don't... But when people come to see the car the 28 will end up being 26

Well I recently had some dental work done and have a ton of unused Vicodin I am willing to throw in with the sale.

i kid...i kid...
Old 08-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It sounds like the cyclist was on the wrong side of the street too! They are supposed to ride WITH the traffic (AKA same side as cars drive), not against it.

I didn't see that. If that is the case then the cyclist was totally in the wrong. I hate it when cyclists ride towards you on the road.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:12 PM
06 WDP / 07 WDP Type-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD

Sorry if this has been posted before, but you're supposed to ride against traffic. If you ride with traffic and turn, you're F U C KED. Bicyclists cannot see behind them, hence the reason to ride against traffic. Nobody is behind you to sneak up on you incase you want to turn.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:56 PM
Team Owner

Sorry but its ride a bicycle WITH traffic- as you are just another vehicle- a small mortorcycle at best-

you WALK against traffic - it helps drivers see you and realize you are on the road edge!, and it gives YOU a chance to dive out of the way if the car drifts-veers- tries to collect you for carpooling lane useage against your will!
Its that eye contact that holds them back from running you down mercilessly
Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Team Owner

Just Curious
If this was the OPs most ANNOYING accident---is there a series or history of really fortunate accidents?

there are no accidents- they are ALL crashes!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Be-in my TL
Sorry if this has been posted before, but you're supposed to ride against traffic. If you ride with traffic and turn, you're F U C KED. Bicyclists cannot see behind them, hence the reason to ride against traffic. Nobody is behind you to sneak up on you incase you want to turn.

I ride my bike 100 miles a week on the road and not one of those miles is riding towards oncoming traffic. Police will give warnings and tickets if you ride against traffic as it is very dangerous. If you cannot look over your shoulder without swerving then you need to get a mirror on your bike. I hope this is not getting off topic.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Intermediate

01tl4tl
there are no accidents- they are ALL crashes!
my driver's ed teacher taught me that when i was 16! he used to lose it when anyone said accident too
Old 11-16-2008, 10:16 PM
jROBERTiko

I'll buy the Type-S license plate frame from you!! Where did you get it from? Please tell me
Old 11-17-2008, 02:52 AM
These colors don't run

wow if you lived near me and the price was a little lower i would buy that from you, that's the color i want haha
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
add 50 for tint- subtract 100 for cost of removing illegal and unsafe front windshield tint
100 dollars to remove a tint were do u go to get tinted there ripping u offf
Old 11-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrobertiko
I'll buy the Type-S license plate frame from you!! Where did you get it from? Please tell me
ebay
Old 11-17-2008, 12:11 PM
King of NYC

Received 217 Likes on 154 Posts
Yeah copy that; you are supposed to ride a bicycle WITH traffic. (lol can you imagine how disastrous the world would be if it was reverse.) So if the cyclist was going reverse it is definitely HIS fault. But if it wasn't for that it would be YOUR fault. I know a cyclist shouldn't buzz by your door carelessly like that but when you open your door you have to be careful to traffic. Check the rearview mirror and physically check your blind spot as if you were doing a lane change and then get out. I always do and it's saved my ass a few times. I know motorcyclists who have run into open doors too. You have to see from their perspective, it's the last thing you'd want and you can't stop in time.

I know you went and got him some hydrogen peroxide but if he fell I wonder why you weren't the first to help him up? Someone else did? It could have been part of the cause of his ranting/cursing, he probably thought you were leaving the scene.

Also, I need to be critical again, but your car is only a year old and it has been through SO much, wow. If anyone sees such a new car in the condition you described they will think you are young and drive hard and beat on the car. (Especially because it's a performance oriented TL-S) But assuming the rest of it seems like new, fix it up. There will be no reason for you to not get a good price.

Again this was not meant to diss you, just some honest observations.